The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2021, 06:20 PM   #61
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
San Felpe Mexico, Guadalajara Mexico my inlaws live there. Ensenada
Old 14 January 2021, 06:26 PM   #62
austinp
"TRF" Member

Lake Tahoe. (Nevada side)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2021, 08:32 PM   #63
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Surprised none of you have recommended our Paradiso ser mer, aka Australia. Even Lex Luther voted us as his choice. Awesome health care, wine, best weather on the planet..... And as long as you dont want to live here in Sydney, Melbourne, Byron Bay, Perth or Brisbane reasonably affordable...... We speak English, offer a right wing government, no virus etc... Failing that Portugal is indeed nice. You may need to quit your US citizenship to move to the EU to avoid tax issues.....
I've been all over the world and Melbourne is one of my favorite cities ever (with Vienna and Greek islands the other notable mentions). Love almost every aspect of that place, would live there in a heart beat. There's just something really charming about it with the street cafes/restaurants, effortless public transportation, fantastic mix of culture and the Aus Open happening there annually is a major perk for me. Actually been speaking to my wife about it recently, I might apply for jobs and make a move this decade.
Old 14 January 2021, 09:35 PM   #64
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I am an EU citizen, not from the US, but my goal is to retire in Switzerland, which is not part of the EU. Not cheap, but have good tax rulings for foreigners, beautiful scenery and a lot of watches for grabs!
Old 14 January 2021, 09:36 PM   #65
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I lived in the Yucatan Peninsula (Mexico) as a teenager...some days I wonder why I ever left.
Old 14 January 2021, 09:54 PM   #66
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Mine was as well. When I returned to Canada for a vacation one year I was surprised to see her likeness on the money.
She must be a pretty lady then

20210114_065355.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2021, 10:19 PM   #67
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Goa, Portugal
Old 14 January 2021, 10:34 PM   #68
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Azores.
You have to see it to believe it.
Old 14 January 2021, 11:13 PM   #69
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Azores.
You have to see it to believe it.
I follow a YT sailing channel and they were just there. Looks unbelievable.
Old 14 January 2021, 11:46 PM   #70
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
I am an EU citizen, not from the US, but my goal is to retire in Switzerland, which is not part of the EU. Not cheap, but have good tax rulings for foreigners, beautiful scenery and a lot of watches for grabs!
I had family which lived in Switzerland. This is much easier as an EU citizen. As an America, if trying to work, it has to be a gap that NO European can fill, and if retiring there, you've got to have a pretty amazing chunk of change. Not a simple transition I must say.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:03 AM   #71
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=brandrea;11199007]She must be a pretty lady then

Yeah, but she was a royal pain in the a**.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:06 AM   #72
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
[QUOTE=Blansky;11199159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
She must be a pretty lady then

Yeah, but she was a royal pain in the a**.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #73
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I've been all over the world and Melbourne is one of my favorite cities ever (with Vienna and Greek islands the other notable mentions). Love almost every aspect of that place, would live there in a heart beat. There's just something really charming about it with the street cafes/restaurants, effortless public transportation, fantastic mix of culture and the Aus Open happening there annually is a major perk for me. Actually been speaking to my wife about it recently, I might apply for jobs and make a move this decade.
Loved Melbourne as well.

One thing we often find in different places, besides the weather, and customs, is bugs and critters we weren't expecting.

Living is California there are almost no bugs or flies. At least in the various parts I've lived in. When we went to Melbourne, they had a lot of flies. I guess you get used to it, but it was irritating.

Summers in Canada has mosquitos which there, are a species of bird. Blood sucking birds.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:24 AM   #74
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Portugal, specifically southern Portugal. Get the weather of San Diego at the cost of a state in the midwest. There are also pretty big tax advantages as well depending on your situation.
Southern Spain also, MANY Europeans retire there.
Old 15 January 2021, 12:30 AM   #75
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Costa Rica we did not like but we are the anomaly. Would have to travel there again to try that again. We love Puerto Rico. Been there three times now.

Keep the thoughts coming.
Then why not Puerto Rico? I also really like it, I believe if you're a resident no US federal income tax. It seemed safe to me, without the absolutely rampant European petty crime, would occasionally see US military helicopters flying overhead between bases I assume. Easy access to the US mainland, beautiful beaches, history, great climate with steady ocean breezes, mountains, unlike FL. Another comment on FL, nice place to visit but was just there and in the winter traffic is gridlock, to the point you don't want to go anywhere.
Old 15 January 2021, 01:21 AM   #76
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Then why not Puerto Rico? I also really like it, I believe if you're a resident no US federal income tax. It seemed safe to me, without the absolutely rampant European petty crime, would occasionally see US military helicopters flying overhead between bases I assume. Easy access to the US mainland, beautiful beaches, history, great climate with steady ocean breezes, mountains, unlike FL. Another comment on FL, nice place to visit but was just there and in the winter traffic is gridlock, to the point you don't want to go anywhere.
Mate, if you think Puerto Rico is safer than Europe, you must be in better places than I can afford in Puerto Rico. A college buddy who grew up in San Juan and lived there for 25 years after college just moved to Miami because of the crime in his home territory. Felt it has become dramatically worse since the hurricane.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 15 January 2021, 02:11 AM   #77
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Mate, if you think Puerto Rico is safer than Europe, you must be in better places than I can afford in Puerto Rico. A college buddy who grew up in San Juan and lived there for 25 years after college just moved to Miami because of the crime in his home territory. Felt it has become dramatically worse since the hurricane.
Miami's violent crime rate is 879 per 100,000, the national average is 386. I stay in the Condado beach area of San Juan, lots of police around and did not feel unsafe. Petty crime in Europe is out of control, my wife had her purse stolen in Spain (never happened in the US), while dealing with that we met a lady from the UK who had her purse stolen twice in one week.
Old 15 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #78
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
This is high on our list so far. Not sure about the crime post hurricane as our 3 trips were before that but seemed very safe. Like anywhere probably you are going to have some bad areas.

Seems like lots of votes for Portugal. May need to add that to the list to visit for sure. Australia also seems nice however I thought it was quite expensive to live there, no? Also that one may just be too far from the US to get back to visit or have kids visit us.
Old 15 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #79
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Loved Melbourne as well.

One thing we often find in different places, besides the weather, and customs, is bugs and critters we weren't expecting.

Living is California there are almost no bugs or flies. At least in the various parts I've lived in. When we went to Melbourne, they had a lot of flies. I guess you get used to it, but it was irritating.

Summers in Canada has mosquitos which there, are a species of bird. Blood sucking birds.
I’m from Florida, I’m immune to mosquito annoyance
Old 15 January 2021, 03:21 AM   #80
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
And blackflies, those will draw blood.
Old 15 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #81
aff1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I’m from Florida, I’m immune to mosquito annoyance
Old 15 January 2021, 04:22 AM   #82
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
We've also been thinking about this and have researched a bit. The first thing my wife and I agreed upon is that we must rent for a period of up to 3 months in each area first. Why 3 months? Because it gives you a pretty good feel for how day to day life would be in that particular area. The other reason is that, at least in most EU countries, unless you are a dual citizen, you can only stay for 3 months at one given time.

Look into supplemental private healthcare coverage for the particular country you are looking to move to. From what I see, it's relatively reasonable and better than govt. healthcare.

The south of Spain, specifically the Costa del Sol has amazing climate although the summers can get really hot. Portugal is inexpensive. The Azores is just breathtaking.

Finally, look into the tax implications of whatever country you are looking to move. You specifically mentioned $5k per month but is that net after taxes or before. Just a quick note, when we looked into Spain, we learned that Spain has a tax on gross assets over $700k. So if you owned a house in the US or had a retirement account over that amount, they would assess a flat tax on those holdings even though the house is in a foreign country and/or your retirement account was generated in the US.

Another example, in Italy, if you moved from Rome to parts north, there is a 43% tax rate. However, the govt is trying to incentivize movement to the south. There is a program if you move to the southern region of Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia, and relocate to a town of less than 20,000 people, your Italian tax rate is 7% is your are retired and drawing a pension or SS and 10% if you have earned income. The program is good for 10 years of residency.

I wish you luck in your search and keep up updated on where your journey's take you!
Old 15 January 2021, 04:31 AM   #83
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Miami's violent crime rate is 879 per 100,000, the national average is 386. I stay in the Condado beach area of San Juan, lots of police around and did not feel unsafe. Petty crime in Europe is out of control, my wife had her purse stolen in Spain (never happened in the US), while dealing with that we met a lady from the UK who had her purse stolen twice in one week.
Crime out of control in Europe

Average violent crime rate in Europe is at 70/100.000.....

There are permanent warnings about pickpockets in Barcelona and Madrid... Unfortunately those are often ignored.
Old 15 January 2021, 04:46 AM   #84
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Living not in the US - NOT POLITICAL

I occasionally have friends joke they are moving to Canada to which I respond what makes you think they will have you lol

You can’t just pick up and move to Canada unless you’re a young doctor or something unless I’m mistaken. They aren’t hungry for middle aged bums and retirees lol

I’m American for the record even though I’ve been going to timmies for 30 years and like hockey.
Old 15 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #85
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I occasionally have friends joke they are moving to Canada to which I respond what makes you think they will have you lol

You can’t just pick up and move to Canada unless you’re a young doctor or something unless I’m mistaken. They aren’t hungry for middle aged bums and retirees lol
Heck, I know of someone who just got out med school and tried to move to Canada, they turned him down because he had a lot of school bills and they were afraid he MIGHT end up on the dole.
Old 15 January 2021, 05:19 AM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Heck, I know of someone who just got out med school and tried to move to Canada, they turned him down because he had a lot of school bills and they were afraid he MIGHT end up on the dole.

I’ll move to Canada is a common joke around here because I’m just over the border but I find people to be quite delusional about the ease with which you can pick up and move to certain countries.

It’s an American thing I believe

Not talking about the OP as many countries of course have more open immigration policies.
Old 15 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #87
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
We've also been thinking about this and have researched a bit. The first thing my wife and I agreed upon is that we must rent for a period of up to 3 months in each area first. Why 3 months? Because it gives you a pretty good feel for how day to day life would be in that particular area. The other reason is that, at least in most EU countries, unless you are a dual citizen, you can only stay for 3 months at one given time.

Look into supplemental private healthcare coverage for the particular country you are looking to move to. From what I see, it's relatively reasonable and better than govt. healthcare.

The south of Spain, specifically the Costa del Sol has amazing climate although the summers can get really hot. Portugal is inexpensive. The Azores is just breathtaking.

Finally, look into the tax implications of whatever country you are looking to move. You specifically mentioned $5k per month but is that net after taxes or before. Just a quick note, when we looked into Spain, we learned that Spain has a tax on gross assets over $700k. So if you owned a house in the US or had a retirement account over that amount, they would assess a flat tax on those holdings even though the house is in a foreign country and/or your retirement account was generated in the US.

Another example, in Italy, if you moved from Rome to parts north, there is a 43% tax rate. However, the govt is trying to incentivize movement to the south. There is a program if you move to the southern region of Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia, and relocate to a town of less than 20,000 people, your Italian tax rate is 7% is your are retired and drawing a pension or SS and 10% if you have earned income. The program is good for 10 years of residency.

I wish you luck in your search and keep up updated on where your journey's take you!
Thanks for sharing. This is some interesting info about taxes. I know this is the area I am most needing to get educated about.
Old 15 January 2021, 06:14 AM   #88
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
some of the florida keys are beautiful.
Old 15 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #89
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

I’m American for the record even though I’ve been going to timmies for 30 years and like hockey.
Well you're a honorary Canadian then, eh.

Ya like Molsons? Hate the Leafs.

You're in then.

P.S. Canadians are so picky about who they let in, that when you are Canadian and go away on vacation, customs and immigration may or may not let you back in. Just depends on how they feel that day.

Either way at least you get a strip search, which can be nice.
Old 15 January 2021, 08:10 AM   #90
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

It actually isn't that hard to immigrate to many countries, especially if you are NOT going to work. No, it is not as simple as just showing up but there are many different ways if you can navigate the paperwork exercise. Many countries love having people move in that can prove they have a steady income source.

There are also so many "golden visas" and specialty programs to choose from from virtually every country. Many countries you can just write a check (some much larger than others) to get permanent residence with some (a select few) even allowing immediate citizenship.

It is really interesting once you start digging into all the possibilities.
Closed Thread