The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2021, 07:56 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Thoughts on a TT Daytona as a daily wearer?

SS Daytona has always been my grail, but obviously I'm not getting one through an AD. Grey market prices have gotten uncomfortably too high. These factors are conspiring to make me consider the TT Daytona with white dial, which is the only TT configuration I like.

If I were to acquire any Daytona, it would not be to keep in the safe or even to wear in rotation. I would want to wear it as a daily in all situations. That's why I'm concerned about TT. I probably would have less reservations if I was planning on wearing it for specific situations, but I do wonder how it works as a daily.

I've attached a pic of me trying old an older one a while ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47465904532_9996741980_c.jpg (105.8 KB, 758 views)
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:18 AM   #2
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Don’t give up. Buy the watch you want. Sounds like that is the ss.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:26 AM   #3
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a compromise.

Potentially let go of a piece in your collection to offset the difference in cost between the TT and SS?
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:36 AM   #4
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

Go for it. The cost saving over SS will pay for service and polishes!
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:41 AM   #5
levvity
"TRF" Member

I say go for it as well. If you ever get the call on the SS you can always sell the TT.
levvity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #6
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

A compromise watch is generally not a good idea. I'm not a fan of most tt watches, and especially not this one.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:21 PM   #7
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTOSUB View Post
A compromise watch is generally not a good idea. I'm not a fan of most tt watches, and especially not this one.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:27 PM   #8
BOXMAN76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Daytona
Great piece man
BOXMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
Rockstar as daily
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:33 PM   #10
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I love it. I have a tt white dialed zenith Daytona that I love wearing in the water and to the beach. Looks great in the sun and underwater.
Old 15 January 2021, 03:09 PM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I would but it would be the new TT Daytona with White dial
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:23 PM   #12
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The TT is a beautiful watch and if it makes you smile, then buy it.

If you’re settling (which is what comes across when I read your post)...then I’d just wait, save up and buy Grey, or continue talking to your AD.

I’ve always regretted buying something that was second to what I really wanted. That said, these are “just” watches. First world or “1%” type decisions.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:24 PM   #13
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Don't settle, get the one you want.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:45 PM   #14
s46
"TRF" Member

I have this exact watch - its awesome - you can wear it daily - go for it and enjoy it
s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:48 PM   #15
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
Don't settle, get the one you want.
This, and if you care about scratches then the TT variation of this model definitely will not be good as a daily wear for you.
David5807 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:23 PM   #16
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

During Covid and being in lockdown mine hardly gets any wear. I wore it Christmas and NYE that's pretty much it.

With PCL and being TT I try only to wear it on 'occasions'. One reason is to avoid putting those daily marks on it, secondly to retain that novelty feeling of putting it on.

So many times I've worn a watch too often and it just becomes another watch. Didn't want to do that with this one.

I think the modern Daytona, with the completely polished case and PCL, is more a piece of jewelry than it is a watch. The earlier reference you showed there is much more applicable to be worn daily, specially if it already has a few buffs.

Here's mine:

VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:50 PM   #17
Aterth
Banned

It is what i would do. You should go for it.
Aterth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:23 PM   #18
Leicaman
"TRF" Member

I don’t understand why someone would buy a watch that they were scared to wear daily. If I had the money for a TT Daytona, I would definitely wear it everyday.
Leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:43 PM   #19
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

I don't see how people can answer this without knowing what you do and how active/old you are. If you are going to be doing landscaping .....no this is not a daily wear. If you are going to be wearing a suit and meeting/dinners etc.....yes.....it is. I wore a 2 tone Datejust every day from 1986 to 1999....never took it off my wrist and it still looks perfect. Band stretched a bit but perfect. You could wear this watch every day for 10 years have it polished once and it would look like new. It's not the perfect daily wear though IMO....a Sub is. I have 2 Daytonas and love them but they are not the most legible and if you want to know what the time actually is unless the lighting is decent you will be guessing. A SS Sub is far more robust and legible so when I'm traveling or beating it that's what I wear and the Daytonas I wear to work, when going out etc. If I was only going to have one watch for daily wear though it would be the Sub. If you wear the Daytona TT you'll likely want to take it off if you are going to play touch football or whatever.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:57 PM   #20
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicaman View Post
I don’t understand why someone would buy a watch that they were scared to wear daily. If I had the money for a TT Daytona, I would definitely wear it everyday.
Well for me it has little to do with being scared of wearing it daily and rather wanting to keep some of my watches in better condition for longer. I'm lucky enough that I have a small collection so it's not a problem for me.

Compare it to having a car collection. You wouldn't want to drive your GT3 RS every day and it's not about being scared to drive it.

Mon-Fri you probably want to drive your E class to work, it's just the most comfortable and practical of the bunch. Perhaps you go out for dinner Thursday night, maybe you take the GT3 or maybe you go with the 570.

Saturday comes, you want to drive around in the canyons so you take the GT3.

If I could only have one car for the next 20 years? Would I choose the GT3 RS? No I wouldn't. I'd go with something more practical for my use. Perhaps someone would be fine with the GT3 RS but I think we can all agree that it's not the most practical car to choose.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:00 PM   #21
glamorama
"TRF" Member

This particular dial/TT combo is particularly striking in photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
During Covid and being in lockdown mine hardly gets any wear. I wore it Christmas and NYE that's pretty much it.

With PCL and being TT I try only to wear it on 'occasions'. One reason is to avoid putting those daily marks on it, secondly to retain that novelty feeling of putting it on.

So many times I've worn a watch too often and it just becomes another watch. Didn't want to do that with this one.

I think the modern Daytona, with the completely polished case and PCL, is more a piece of jewelry than it is a watch. The earlier reference you showed there is much more applicable to be worn daily, specially if it already has a few buffs.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:21 PM   #22
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get the watch you want and figure out how to pay for it. I have never resented buying what I want but when I settle it just causes problems and in the end I usually end up paying more than if I just got what I wanted to start with.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:27 PM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Here's mine:

This is one of the best looking TT watches I’ve seen.
Old 15 January 2021, 10:31 PM   #24
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Love the TT Daytona! Get one from the AD, and that puts you in a great position for a SS.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:49 PM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Thoughts on a TT Daytona as a daily wearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
SS Daytona has always been my grail, but obviously I'm not getting one through an AD. Grey market prices have gotten uncomfortably too high. These factors are conspiring to make me consider the TT Daytona with white dial, which is the only TT configuration I like.

If I were to acquire any Daytona, it would not be to keep in the safe or even to wear in rotation. I would want to wear it as a daily in all situations. That's why I'm concerned about TT. I probably would have less reservations if I was planning on wearing it for specific situations, but I do wonder how it works as a daily.

I've attached a pic of me trying old an older one a while ago.

If you like the SS but can live with the TT then get the TT and wear it until you can get the SS as well or instead. I love the TT and was underwhelmed with the SS, personally!!!

I like my TT a lot and wear it frequently in rotation. I'm currently wearing mine on an Everest strap!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 10:59 PM   #26
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
are you afraid of scratches and blemishes on the bezel ( it'll look like an ice rink soon enough with daily wear ). But totally agree with the comments ref "what your daily wearer is, may not be the same as my typical day"..... so what do I know, but I can say I've had two of the TT Daytona's and eek they are scratch magnets!!

best advice is - if you love it enough then buy it, you can always sell it later and maybe if you are lucky it'll have increased in price over the time and then you can hunt for a SS
Old 15 January 2021, 11:05 PM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you can (somewhat) answer your own question by looking closely at the photograph in your post.

That's pretty much what it's going to look like. Are you good with that?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:06 PM   #28
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here's mine:

Your Champaign dial Daytona is absolutely stunning! I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:05 AM   #29
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Well for me it has little to do with being scared of wearing it daily and rather wanting to keep some of my watches in better condition for longer. I'm lucky enough that I have a small collection so it's not a problem for me.

Compare it to having a car collection. You wouldn't want to drive your GT3 RS every day and it's not about being scared to drive it.

Mon-Fri you probably want to drive your E class to work, it's just the most comfortable and practical of the bunch. Perhaps you go out for dinner Thursday night, maybe you take the GT3 or maybe you go with the 570.

If I could only have one car for the next 20 years? Would I choose the GT3 RS? No I wouldn't. I'd go with something more practical for my use. Perhaps someone would be fine with the GT3 RS but I think we can all agree that it's not the most practical car to choose.
What???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:16 AM   #30
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

every mile you put on a gt3 rs drops the value of it. there's also the comfort factor where it's actually impractical to drive it every day (in most places). a daytonas value will not go down the more you wear it, at least not from what history suggests, and i think it's safe to say almost every rolex is a comfortable daily wear. if it comes down to it being too flashy like a supercar is then it's a different story
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote