The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2021, 07:47 PM   #1
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 vs Oyster Perpetual 39 - Dial Size

Morning/Afternoon/Evening

Does anyone know of the dial size on the current Explorer 214270 and the discontinued OP39 is the same size?

As far as I'm aware they share the same case, but obviously the bezels are different with the Explorers being flat and the OP's domed. However, I've seen a couple of pictures that suggest the dial on the OP39 is slightly small than that on the Explorer.

Does anyone know?
Is this just an illusion?

The E1 is almost perfect but even on my 7.5" wrist the dial appears slightly large sometimes so I'm considering adding the OP39.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7213.JPG (59.9 KB, 350 views)
Davidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:12 PM   #2
Raffles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
First glance, the two watches look identical to me, apart from hands and dial.
I'm sure there probably are subtle size differences and the watch experts will be along to point them out.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 09:51 PM   #3
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If you can see a size difference between those two, you should have your own comic book series because that's some sort of superpower. The dial may look bigger on a lighter color dial or one with less going on (no numbers vs numbers, lame vs metal, etc) but there's not a actual size difference you could possibly see.

The two photos (renderings?) also have slightly different lighting which creates a halo effect from the crystal. Under that cloudy area, it looks like same size dial to me.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 vs Oyster Perpetual 39 - Dial Size

Ignore the comments, these people are arrogant for some odd reason.

Small details, in many cases, is what separates 100$ vs 1000 vs 10000 price tags in the watch world and I couldn’t agree more about the explorer.

OP39 black or white were the only perfect watches Rolex made during their run. The explorer is close to perfect but as mentioned, the dial has a slightly disproportionate size. It is tough to see in pics, but in person it can be hard to miss.

I’d say the versatility of both are same, but Explorer is SLIGHTLY more sporty and a bit more interesting, so dial aside I went with Explorer. If you can add, the sunburst dial is awesome.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:22 PM   #5
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Ignore the comments, these people are arrogant for some odd reason .
These people ??????

Just comment on the question Skippy and leave the personal attacks out of it. This isn't Facebook.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 10:40 PM   #6
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Don't focus too much on the picture I've uploaded. That's just the best picture I've found comparing the two and I hate threads without pictures.

In person however (I own an E1 have have tried on a couple of OP39's) the dial on the E1 'appears' slightly larger. I don't expect it is as it's likely just how it appears but I'd like to know if anyone knows for certain.

I'd expect the busier dial of the Explorer to actually make it seems smaller not larger?

Last edited by Davidt; 16 January 2021 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 16 January 2021, 11:00 PM   #7
winst
"TRF" Member

I think it’s the bezel and crystal shape that makes the Explorer Dial look larger.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 11:07 PM   #8
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
OP. The oyster case is likely to be the same size. The difference will be in bezel thickness and dial diameter. But add the two together you should get same diameter on both.

The perception will also be down to the Crystal shape and dial colour the sunburst reflection will appear larger on op. I find this anyway.

People get really sensitive on these forums.

Take comments on the chin chaps
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:31 AM   #9
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
The longer I'm into watches the more I understand that very subtle differences make a big difference. It's never about the nominal size, but rather the diameter, the proportions, the taper, the lugs, etc. The biggest difference to me is the flat bezel of the Explorer versus the domed crystal of the Oyster Perpetual. For such similar looking watches I think they look quite different in person.

If the Explorer face feels a little too big by all means grab the 39mm OP. I'll bet it wears a bit smaller. Generally I would never advocate getting rid of an Explorer, but I'm also an advocate of moving on from any watch that you aren't wearing or enjoying. Good luck with your decision!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:36 AM   #10
chloebear
Banned

Here’s a picture of my new Explorer...just because we all like pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2021, 01:44 AM   #11
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
The longer I'm into watches the more I understand that very subtle differences make a big difference. It's never about the nominal size, but rather the diameter, the proportions, the taper, the lugs, etc. The biggest difference to me is the flat bezel of the Explorer versus the domed crystal of the Oyster Perpetual. For such similar looking watches I think they look quite different in person.

If the Explorer face feels a little too big by all means grab the 39mm OP. I'll bet it wears a bit smaller. Generally I would never advocate getting rid of an Explorer, but I'm also an advocate of moving on from any watch that you aren't wearing or enjoying. Good luck with your decision!
I don't really see myself parting with it - I love the current Explorer, even if it could do with a mm shaving off the dial. I think I may however look at adding a white 39OP or even a 114270
Old 17 January 2021, 01:50 AM   #12
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Some side by side pics help

Old 17 January 2021, 01:58 AM   #13
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Some side by side pics help
Thanks for posting - exactly what I was looking for.

Must simply be the perspective then as the OP looks larger in the first pic.

Are you able to confirm the crystals have the same outside diameter?
Old 17 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #14
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I don’t own an OP39 to measure but I vaguely remember a thread a while back where the RSC confirmed to someone that the replacement crystal for an Explorer and OP39 were one and the same

Which is further supported by this claim from a parts dealer (not oem) who sells replacement crystals

“High Quality white sapphire crystal for Rolex Explorer I for model #s 214270 114300 case # 2430 Sapphire crystal comes with waterproofing gasket. This crystal and gasket will fit perfectly to the case and make it waterproof.”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 02:29 AM   #15
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great pics. Love the ND Rolex watches!
Maxtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #16
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt View Post
I don't really see myself parting with it - I love the current Explorer, even if it could do with a mm shaving off the dial. I think I may however look at adding a white 39OP or even a 114270
Very smart move. An Explorer and the stunning white dial OP would be an amazing duo! I can't believe they stopped making that watch.