The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 January 2024, 01:14 PM   #1
Newrolexguy
"TRF" Member

AD Overhaul

Went to Fink’s at SouthPark mall recently. I asked about a service, I’ve have the piece for about 5 years and it’s running fast…long story short I was told that they have a watchmaker that does full overhauls in the shop. I found this a bit confusing as I thought that the watch would be sent to a RSC for repair if needed. Not saying I need a full overhaul or even a repair but I was advised that they do the overhauls. Is this the case with AD now if they have a watchmaker? I personally would rather have my watch sent to an authorized service center for repair. Something doesn’t seem kosher…thoughts?
Newrolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 01:38 PM   #2
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
So my local AD here in Augusta Georgia, Windsor Jewelers has a watchmaker on site as well. They say he can do full overhauls but typically he does smaller jobs, IE: dial swaps, pressure tests, bracelet swaps and other things like this. I wouldn’t dream of having the on site watchmaker do the bulk of my service, but my local guy is a certified watchmaker and I’m sure he’s a capable person. I personally wouldn’t let him do the work mainly because I hate this particular AD. I wouldn’t give them the honor of making any money off of me.
If you’re looking for a service I recommend Drew Zimmerman in York PA. You can look him up on Facebook. He’s the best of the best in my opinion. He recently serviced my 16014 Datejust and it’s like brand new, maybe even better than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:02 PM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Windsor across the street is your friend. Ben Simon is the owner, and their onsite watchmaker Lorenzo is excellent. One and done
Old 10 January 2024, 02:23 PM   #4
Newrolexguy
"TRF" Member

What’s the difference between sending it to let’s say RSC in TX or NY vs. an AD? I always thought that the best way to have the service is at a service center rather than an AD.
Old 10 January 2024, 04:09 PM   #5
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Windsor across the street is your friend. Ben Simon is the owner, and their onsite watchmaker Lorenzo is excellent. One and done

Windsor in Augusta leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve tried on several occasions to buy something and they suck just enough to make me just go home empty handed. I’m
Glad you have a better relationship than mine. I just buy what I want from folks I can trust

Old 10 January 2024, 04:21 PM   #6
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolexguy View Post
What’s the difference between sending it to let’s say RSC in TX or NY vs. an AD? I always thought that the best way to have the service is at a service center rather than an AD.

The RSC’s are all technically the Mother Ship ( Rolex USA ) there’s just different locations to serve more people but it’s all Rolex, some people say one location is sometimes doing better work or faster turnaround times, but it changes all the time. My watchmaker is Rolex Trained, has a Rolex parts account which allows him to offer the same 2 year warranty. Here’s my Datejust after service. The difference between the RSC’s and the AD’s is simple. The AD’s sell watches and service a few and the RSC’s are exactly what the letters mean: ROLEX SERVICE CENTER ( RSC)
Hope this helps you out.

Old 11 January 2024, 08:52 AM   #7
Newrolexguy
"TRF" Member

Would a full overhaul be the same price at the AD as a RSC? I guess I’m just confused about the service…
Say if I were to send it to a RSC, would I get the EXACT same guarantee as an AD service?
Analogy: going to the Mayo Clinic with a TEAM of doctors for treatment vs going to just one local doctor that was trained at the Mayo Clinic…
Old 11 January 2024, 09:53 AM   #8
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolexguy View Post
Would a full overhaul be the same price at the AD as a RSC?
Any AD in the Rolex service network should use the same pricing as the regional RSC. We're given a book that states what we are to charge for services, and parts pricing is through the ordering site. It also states what we are and are not allowed to do. Some is very black & white, some is very vague and contradictory. We are supposed to have the exact same standards and criteria as an RSC. They are able to handle our warranty work, and we are able to handle theirs.
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 01:35 PM   #9
Newrolexguy
"TRF" Member

So I guess it would be safe to assume to just send it to a RSC when it’s time for a full overhaul?
Old 14 January 2024, 11:38 AM   #10
Sirschwag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I’ve heard that RSC can be more liberal with movement parts replaced during service, where AD may only replace if necessary.
Sirschwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 11:40 AM   #11
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

If they have a watchmaker trained by Rolex and are up to date, it should not be an issue.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote