The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2021, 06:45 AM   #1
Bill2
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Hurricane Ida

The remnants of Hurricane Ida made it to New York last night. I live north of NY City. I travel to Yonkers. It took 2 hours to make the trip. I was within 5 miles of the office for over an hour. Each time I got closer, a road was closed and flooded. I was running out of options when I found a way through the town of Ardsley to a 12" deep "lake" which I was able to cross to my office.

I went out for lunch and it seems that the Saw Mill River Parkway is under a couple of feet of water near our office. The water level does not seem to be going down.

We got 8" of rain near my house. That is more than the average rainfall for the entire month of September.

The power company sent me an email letting me know that my power was out (it was not). Then an email letting me know it would be restored by 1:00 p.m. And then at 12:37 an email telling me that the power was restored. Hmm.

My roof is still watertight. And I live atop the tallest hill in the town. Before my basement would flood, almost all the houses in the county would have to be fully submerged. So no wet basement either. I got off pretty light.

How did you all make out?
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 08:11 AM   #2
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Street was a River, basement a pool, tough night but still fortunate all healthy and house standing. Hot water just restored I never looked so forward to a hot shower this evening!!! Good Luck all effected by this storm.
Old 3 September 2021, 10:15 AM   #3
77T

Have seen the awful news of more than 40 lives lost in the tri-state area. Flooding, tornadoes, home fires breaking out.

Hope the toll doesn’t rise further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:45 AM   #4
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I'm so glad to live in the high desert.

Hope everyone else is well.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:21 PM   #5
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Had a small tornado 20 miles west of us and a lot of heavy rain. Things looked pretty bad in PA, NJ and NY. We got lucky.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:33 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
So, i left my office at 9:30pm last night in NJ. Had a 7.9 mile commute home. I arrived 2:30am. Fortunately safe, but in my town several others were not so fortunate. I lived in south FL years ago and went through several hurricanes, I never seen flooding like last night. the north east is just not set up for that kind of rainfall.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Carroll
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller 1665
There used to be a railroad underpass on 9A (in Buchanan or is it Verplank) that would flood terribly. I was working at IPEC during Hurricane Floyd and almost didn't make it through there. We were leaving the plant and heading for the Bear Mountain Bridge via Peekskill and the Goat Trail (Rt 202) but got detoured onto 9A. If I had had any other vehicle than the Hummer we would have been stuck. But I was able to go through the 30+ inches of water and come out the north side to every ones amazement that was watching in their stuck cars and those high and dry along the roadside.

Finally made it to the Goat Trail and it was like driving under a waterfall. So much water cascading down the side of the mountain and dumping on the road. The road has that stone retaining wall on the cliff side and the water was trapped between it and the shear inboard side of the road. This resulted in all the water flowing down the road about 8 inches deep. Took about an hour to get from IPEC to the Bridge, a trip that would normally be about 20 minutes tops.

Haven't been back to that area since.
Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Took me 1 hour to go a 1/4 mile. Had to wait for the township to clear the drains.
I saw cars abandoned on the NJ turpike, and GSP. I never saw something like this. I personally think this was worse than Sandy
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote