The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 January 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
dk6098
"TRF" Member

Replacement bracelet suggestions

I have (what i believe to be) a 1953 Oyster perpetual precision (ST) ref6098, and I'm not sure which replacement bracelet I should purchase? Or, where to purchase? I've been told that a vintage rivet link oyster bracelet would be the best if I'm going stainless steel. But, I'm also considering going with a leather strap as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

DK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex explorer.jpg (70.4 KB, 207 views)
dk6098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 03:10 AM   #2
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I'd go with leather. Horween she'll cordovan might be nice. A real steel is probably big bucks.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Poloplayer

Watch: '72 Rolex Red Sub
I wear a Horween custom strap on a Sub that was made by Drew at Europelli and I love it :
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359306884.766956.jpg
He's well worth a look
Poloplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 03:15 AM   #4
hendra324
"TRF" Member

wellcome to the forum..I m prefer leather strap
hendra324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 12:44 PM   #5
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
WOW! Fantastic! An early Explorer - an Everest Expedition period watch! Very rare and worthy of a good bracelet or strap. The rivet-link oyster was available in the early 50s, but I don't recall seeing the famous Explorer series being on anything other than a leather strap, but that does not mean that it didn't happen. That noted (and others may disagree), there is nothing to say that an old riveted bracelet couldn't be procured and rebuilt, with end links 'adjusted as needed' by an artisan craftsman - if an orignial can't be found. Regardless, it would probably be an expensive adventure.

Otherwise, a high-quality croc or lizard, with old Rolex tang buckle, would be very appropriate - and a lot easier for you to procure. Sorry, can't help but add....whatever, don't get involved in refinishing dial, case, crystal, or anything else, without conferring with a real expert in rare vintage Rolexes! That could ruin a relic! A few months after the Everest Expedition in 1953, the case of this watch was renumbered to 6150/6350.

We'd be interested on some followup progress and pics if you can. Welcome to the forum and best of luck on this project!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 12:42 PM   #6
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
6098 Everest Bubbleback

A little more research - found one with a bracelet. Its a rivet-link oyster - not sure if its the original one for the watch. It looks like the end pieces are a little sloppy - either a retrofit (as I mentioned), or its just well-worn. Afterall, its an old watch with a lot of miles. Heres the link for the pic and some reading....hope it works.

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalo...&auctionid=204

JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Vlad
"TRF" Member

First of all, very nice and expensive watch (I mean, one of the most expensive Explorers one can think of). The dial is awesome. Be careful (with any band) to make sure that the leather (or the metal links) don't rub on the model/serial numbers. I would seriously consider putting this watch away and buying something generic in the 5K range (1016,1680,5513,...) that you would not have to worry about - just wear and enjoy.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Pretty rate beauty there

I would wear on a leather strap myself. If a bracelet is fitted be sure it is correct, as noted you could have wear done to case quickly. Enjoy the rarity of it :-) M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

nice watch i would go leather strap