The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Any hikers

Hiking is a past time of ours. A few weeks ago we hiked some trails near the Pa WV border. These past days we have returned to above the 49th parallel in Ontario Canada. The 49th parallel is the half way mark between the equator and the North Pole. Just amazing beautiful scenery. We have a family vacation home in the area, the Bruce Peninsula on Georgian Bay. Lots of ice on northern Lk Huron. Beautiful teal colour. Wi fi is very spotty but later next week will post some pics for those interested. Highly recommend for those who enjoy hiking.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 11:14 AM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I consider myself a mid to avid hiker, I go often in the summer up in the Cuyamacca mountains here in San Diego. In the winter, I do Mission trails, closer to the desert. I am only a day hiker, but push myself to the absolute limit and enjoy the challenge. Last summer, I completed a day hike of 18 miles, this year I WILL break 20 in one day

(Either that or you guys will hear of a body being found in the San Diego mountains of some middle-aged nut that still believed he was 25 years old )
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Hiking is a past time of ours. A few weeks ago we hiked some trails near the Pa WV border. These past days we have returned to above the 49th parallel in Ontario Canada. The 49th parallel is the half way mark between the equator and the North Pole. Just amazing beautiful scenery. We have a family vacation home in the area, the Bruce Peninsula on Georgian Bay. Lots of ice on northern Lk Huron. Beautiful teal colour. Wi fi is very spotty but later next week will post some pics for those interested. Highly recommend for those who enjoy hiking.
Hi Art...
Great that you are having such a good time.
Can't wait for the pics.
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 11:20 AM   #4
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
I’m actually watching a hiking show called motion right now. What footwear do you guys like?
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Art 1
Banned

That’s a long way Paul. We were talking today that we would like to get out your way at some point to hike. We put trackers over our boots today to help going over the snow and ice, those things are amazing. I really like hikes in the snow. Paul if you like hiking you would love this area with the views of the lake from the cliffs. We did Bar Harbor Maine not long ago as well. Some amazing trails.
Old 18 March 2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
I’m actually watching a hiking show called motion right now. What footwear do you guys like?
Wife likes Oboz. I like Caterpillar, waterproof thinly insulated. Both still in great shape with lots of wear.
Old 18 March 2018, 12:45 PM   #7
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
Quote:
Solomon Speed Cross and Hoka Speed Goat.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 12:50 PM   #8
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I consider myself a mid to avid hiker, I go often in the summer up in the Cuyamacca mountains here in San Diego. In the winter, I do Mission trails, closer to the desert. I am only a day hiker, but push myself to the absolute limit and enjoy the challenge. Last summer, I completed a day hike of 18 miles, this year I WILL break 20 in one day

(Either that or you guys will hear of a body being found in the San Diego mountains of some middle-aged nut that still believed he was 25 years old )
We have done quite a few 25 mile day hikes with our dogs. Longest day hike we have done without dogs was just short of 35 miles. I find the weather (heat specifically) to be more of a factor than the actual distance, especially with our dogs. There are some hikes that don't make it far from a river or lake!
Old 18 March 2018, 02:29 PM   #9
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I really enjoy hiking and trail running. And I have been noticing the decline in popularity of the traditional hiking boots and the rising popularity of trail running shoes for hikers such as the two you have listed.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 09:54 PM   #10
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I’m not much of a hiker but love trail running! I did a 15 mile trail run yesterday and will do a shorter one today. Always great to be outdoors enjoying nature!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 10:12 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

I hike during the spring, summer and fall. Only occasionally as I'm a long distance runner pur sang, so hiking is more a fun addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Yep salomon speed cross is my go-to when on trails. Mostly for running though.
I also have Timberland waterproof boots but I just find running shoes to be excellent for hiking, much more comfort than large boots.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 10:13 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

20miles should be possible in under 4 hours mate
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:07 AM   #13
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I do a lot of hiking in the UK as I have both the Lake District and Wales on my doorstep.

I did lots of hiking with scouts as a child and with my dad after that which got me hooked.

Can’t wait until my little boy is old enough to come out with me. This will be amazing quality time together!

My biggest accomplishment was last year which I posted about was the ‘3 peaks challenge’
where we had to climb the highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales all within 24 hours.

We completed it in just under 21 hours. VERY TIRED !!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #14
milov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I do a lot of hiking in the UK as I have both the Lake District and Wales on my doorstep.

I did lots of hiking with scouts as a child and with my dad after that which got me hooked.

Can’t wait until my little boy is old enough to come out with me. This will be amazing quality time together!

My biggest accomplishment was last year which I posted about was the ‘3 peaks challenge’
where we had to climb the highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales all within 24 hours.

We completed it in just under 21 hours. VERY TIRED !!

We also to have a 3 peaks challenge in Tasmania. It is a little different though:
https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...ks-race-10577/
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 05:04 AM   #15
Art 1
Banned

My son and his wife went up Half Domb last year. That was interesting he said. A bit scarey.
Old 19 March 2018, 05:05 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
20miles should be possible in under 4 hours mate
Only if I used a car Bas.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 05:17 AM   #17
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love hiking, don’t get to do it enough. I’ve moved from boots to trail runners and now to sandals, specifically Bedrock and Luna. No more blisters, no more sweaty feet. Not good for scratchy brush though.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 05:59 AM   #18
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I hike during the spring, summer and fall. Only occasionally as I'm a long distance runner pur sang, so hiking is more a fun addition.

Yep salomon speed cross is my go-to when on trails. Mostly for running though.
I also have Timberland waterproof boots but I just find running shoes to be excellent for hiking, much more comfort than large boots.
That is my experience too. I find the shoes comfortable whether running or hiking, and I don’t miss the extra ankle support when factoring the weight in.
Old 19 March 2018, 10:02 AM   #19
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

My wife and I go backpacking a fair amount. We're lucky that we have Smokey Mountain National Park within a 3-4 hour drive of our house, and almost always tie in a trip to a national park with our vacations - going to hit up Zion after the Vegas GTG in April!
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 10:15 AM   #20
GED
"TRF" Member

Watch: d-d40wg
Love to hike-though nothing extreme, mostly moderately difficult-both country and urban.
Old 19 March 2018, 10:24 AM   #21
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Never much of a hiker but for many years, an avid backpacker.
Usually three or four day trips but sometimes shorter.
The Grand Canyon, Maroon Bells, Paria Canyon, the Zion Narrows, and Havasu Falls are some of my favorites.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:15 AM   #22
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Never much of a hiker but for many years, an avid backpacker.
Usually three or four day trips but sometimes shorter.
The Grand Canyon, Maroon Bells, Paria Canyon, the Zion Narrows, and Havasu Falls are some of my favorites.
My wife fell in love with the Grand Canyon when we backpacked it and was pretty disappointed we're too early in season to do the Narrows.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:57 AM   #23
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
LaSportiva have been working out very well for me the last year. Diffidently go with some sort of trail runner for hiking.

Old 20 March 2018, 07:53 AM   #24
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
My wife fell in love with the Grand Canyon when we backpacked it and was pretty disappointed we're too early in season to do the Narrows.
Coyote Gulch in the Grand Staircase is pretty special, too.
Old 20 March 2018, 11:57 AM   #25
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
I’ve been an avid hiker/backpacker for many years starting in Scouts as a kid. Now at 50, in the last couple years, the arthritis that’s developed in my hips has really started to cut into my range. Getting old = not fun. On a brighter note, my nephew visited last summer and I took enough Aleve in order to hike this amazingly scenic trail with him at Mt. Rainier.
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 12:05 AM   #26
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Coyote Gulch in the Grand Staircase is pretty special, too.
Thanks, will file that away! We have one more day to fill while we're out there and had been looking for something to do.
Old 22 March 2018, 05:27 PM   #27
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Love to hike beside biking.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote