The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 March 2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Icon5 BMW X5 Diesel long term disaster or bliss?

Looking at a 2014 certified series.

60k miles.

I know it's not a Lexus.

Read a bit online about the urea tank sensor and that you have to hammer it once in a while to get carbon out.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them? We'll have 24mo of warranty but we may keep it beyond if there's high miler success stories and there's no major drama.

Thanks in advance.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 12:30 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 19 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
why would you want diesel?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
No specific info or experience with this model.

The only thing I’ve heard and read about which seems to be universal, is that you don’t want to own German cars once they are “high milers” and off warranty.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

The only thing I’ve heard and read about which seems to be universal, is that you don’t want to own German cars once they are “high milers” and off warranty.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:05 AM   #6
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Diesel engine is bulletproof. 200k is no issue for it to run. Amazing torque. Great fuel economy. I miss my VW diesel. German vehicles In general can be costly to repair after the warranty is expired. Reliability is not Lexus...but they are great to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:26 AM   #7
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t necessarily agree. Cars don’t magically fall apart as soon as the warranty expires.

My BMW has been out of warranty for about 5 years and I just bought another out of warranty BMW. Sure, parts are labor are more expensive compared for Japanese economy cars, but with proper maintenance, these cars last a long time.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:30 AM   #8
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
No experience whatsoever with BMWs but why diesel ? Even back in Europe they are finally start to disappear replaced by hybrids. 60k miles is nothing,these cars are built to last IF you stick with proper maintenance. Which of course costs like a kidney.

And since you pointed at Lexus I yet have to see a Lexus or a Toyota on a tow truck on the way to the workshop while Jeeps,bmws and mercs are the norm.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 02:35 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
IDK man, my old mechanic sold his because it was too much for him to deal with and it was "falling apart", his was a 4.8 fwiw. I think I would go MB or Audi. MB used warranty is very compelling.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 03:15 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Thanks for the comments.

I want the diesel simply because I'd only need to fill up 3x a month and its a 7 seater that can tow a lot. I drive a lot for work and it's got cpo.

I'm just looking for feedback on how they do and what to be prepared for at around 100k because I'd like to keep it since it's a hwy runner and is in fine shape.

I'm also familiar with BMW X5 but just not their diesels.

Old 19 March 2018, 03:22 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I don’t necessarily agree. Cars don’t magically fall apart as soon as the warranty expires.

My BMW has been out of warranty for about 5 years and I just bought another out of warranty BMW. Sure, parts are labor are more expensive compared for Japanese economy cars, but with proper maintenance, these cars last a long time.
I think we're saying the same thing ... it just costs more to fix the imports

I've owned a few to know and I prefer to get rid of them once the warranty is up

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 03:23 AM   #12
swils8610

Don’t worry about a powertrain failure. Keep up with the maintenance. I’m a big fan of the diesel. The oil changes will be more costly. They take between 12 and 15 quarts of oil but are much longer in between them. Torque, towing, fuel economy etc are great with a diesel. I’ve had many Touareg diesels with no issues. I’ve had cars in my shop with 300k on them going strong. I’d still have one but totaled my diesel and had to go to a gas motor with the VW TDI bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:01 AM   #13
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
why would you want diesel?
Generally speaking diesels are built like tanks !!!
They last and last and last ...
I have a MB diesel E320 , it’s been very good to me ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:13 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Old 19 March 2018, 04:25 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you don’t want to own German cars once they are “high milers” and off warranty.
I keep reading this. Seems like most Europeans don't have this problem.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 06:10 AM   #16
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I keep reading this. Seems like most Europeans don't have this problem.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 06:46 AM   #17
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
I don't have a BMW Diesel so sorry I can't give you any input there. But I do have a Mercedes ML Diesel with 160K on it and I'm totally in love with this engine.

The way that I would look at this Diesel purchase from a cost standpoint is any normally aspirated BMW engine would need premium gas, Diesel is just a few pennies more and you get way better gas mileage and it will be much quicker in all driving aspects over the normal engine.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 09:54 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

So, I've been gawking Bimmerfest and they have some good info. It's like a WUS but about BMW.

Apparently you do have to beat these things up. Get them hot and dont baby them. They're cop cars in the U.K. And Germany. Go up to 500k miles before rebuilds. The more they run, the longer they last. Short trips kill these engines.

Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 20 March 2018, 08:47 AM   #19
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
I own a 2011 335d which is the same engine as the X5 (different transmission I think.)

Just bought my wife a new X5 and have owned both earlier generations (2005 and 2011).

I used to be a MB fan, but have been a BMW fan for the last many years. Best balance of performance and luxury for the price, in my opinion. This last purchase we were cross shopping with Porsche Cayenne, and for the same performance and options the porsche would have cost $20k or so more.

Xoutpost.com has a lot of info about X5s in general, and is a great resource. However, please keep in mind that unlike TRF, where people come to praise the brand and the product, on most BMW forums people go to share their issues and frustrations with the brand, so you will get a much more negative view of the car/brand than reality suggests.

Get a nice clean example with CPO, find yourself a good independent mechanic that specializes in the brand, and you should be fine.

I used to do most maintenance and small repairs myself, but with two school aged kids I don't have the time anymore so am relying more on my indep mechanic shop these days. If you are the type that only deals with the dealership and goes with whatever the dealership recommends, you should stay away from German brands in general as the dealerships are the main source of pain and suffering and give the brand a worse reputation that it deserves.

BMWs in general are not made to be babied, or parked on the driveway for short quick trips. The harder you push them, the longer you drive them, the better they behave and longer they last.

This is my wife's current baby:

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 09:04 AM   #20
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Hey Chewy, I'd personally stay away from a diesel. They're being phased out in the EU and resale value here will be an even bigger issue down the road. If resale is not a factor whatsoever, I'd say go for it. The mileage and torque is awesome and they're fairly easy to maintain.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 09:14 AM   #21
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:

Why do people post this? Does it add value to the conversation? It's so general as to be meaningless, and really isn't helpful IMO. OP, sorry, I don't have experience with this vehicle. My experience says that an E46 3-series has a few known weaknesses. Have you identified what those are for this car?
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 09:28 AM   #22
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
Why do people post this? Does it add value to the conversation? It's so general as to be meaningless, and really isn't helpful IMO. OP, sorry, I don't have experience with this vehicle. My experience says that an E46 3-series has a few known weaknesses. Have you identified what those are for this car?
The main area of concern is the carbon build up in the intake, which is a result of recirculating exhaust gases back into the engine (which is not running as hot as it is should, due to people babying it or shorter drives), for better emissions. The build up takes about 50k miles to accumulate and affect the engine. The cleanup cost is about $1500 or so. My 335d had that done under CPO warranty at about 50k miles (previous owner), which was on my list of things to look out for.

The harmonic balancer, also seems to go on these engines, which is a DIY for a capable DIYourselfer, and perhaps a $600 or so repair at an indy shop.

Other than these, there are occasional other issues that come up here and there, but not across the board. If OP lives outside of California, there are many modifications that can be done to the engine to avoid the build up and other potential emission induced issues altogether.

I had a 2011 535i 6spd manual that I loved, and sold at about 36k miles. Beautiful engine, beautiful car. During that ownership, I was given a 535d as a loaner for a week while dealership was doing some work on the 535i. That loaner made me promise myself that my next BMW will be the 35d variety.

Given the fantastic experience I had with the 2007 328i E90 that my wife owned, one of the best handling sedans in my opinion, I looked for and found a clean unmolested 2011 E90 335d (last model year they came in E90) with about 55k miles on it years later and bought it on the spot.

35d engine is extremely rewarding and combined with the handling of E70 X5, is a great combo in an SUV, or with the E90 body it makes one of the best real world sport sedan experiences.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 20 March 2018, 09:39 AM   #23
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Hey Chewy, I'd personally stay away from a diesel. They're being phased out in the EU and resale value here will be an even bigger issue down the road. If resale is not a factor whatsoever, I'd say go for it. The mileage and torque is awesome and they're fairly easy to maintain.
Resale value of a used BMW - gas or diesel - will be next to nothing when the car is over 90k miles. Dealership will offer you low blue book trade in value, and general public will not want to buy a 90k mile or higher BMW from an private seller for much more than trade in value anyway. This has been my personal experience.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 20 March 2018, 09:44 AM   #24
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
The main area of concern is the carbon build up in the intake, which is a result of recirculating exhaust gases back into the engine (which is not running as hot as it is should, due to people babying it or shorter drives), for better emissions. The build up takes about 50k miles to accumulate and affect the engine. The cleanup cost is about $1500 or so. My 335d had that done under CPO warranty at about 50k miles (previous owner), which was on my list of things to look out for.

The harmonic balancer, also seems to go on these engines, which is a DIY for a capable DIYourselfer, and perhaps a $600 or so repair at an indy shop.

Other than these, there are occasional other issues that come up here and there, but not across the board. If OP lives outside of California, there are many modifications that can be done to the engine to avoid the build up and other potential emission induced issues altogether.

I had a 2011 535i 6spd manual that I loved, and sold at about 36k miles. Beautiful engine, beautiful car. During that ownership, I was given a 535d as a loaner for a week while dealership was doing some work on the 535i. That loaner made me promise myself that my next BMW will be the 35d variety.

Given the fantastic experience I had with the 2007 328i E90 that my wife owned, one of the best handling sedans in my opinion, I looked for and found a clean unmolested 2011 E90 335d (last model year they came in E90) with about 55k miles on it years later and bought it on the spot.

35d engine is extremely rewarding and combined with the handling of E70 X5, is a great combo in an SUV, or with the E90 body it makes one of the best real world sport sedan experiences.
Good stuff.

Quote:
Resale value of a used BMW - gas or diesel - will be next to nothing when the car is over 90k miles. Dealership will offer you low blue book trade in value, and general public will not want to buy a 90k mile or higher BMW from an private seller for much more than trade in value anyway. This has been my personal experience.
Buying at a good used price is an excellent self-insurance policy.

Good luck w/ your search Chewbacca.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 10:54 AM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's a BMW, drive it like you stole it, that's how they like it. Love ours, we have two (X1 and 435i M-optioned/Stage 4). My wife drives her X1 like a sports car driver.

I'm pleading the fifth. :D
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 02:44 PM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:

Thanks Faz. Your comments are pretty much Bimmerpost Padi-esque based on what the regulars say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
Good stuff.

Buying at a good used price is an excellent self-insurance policy.

Good luck w/ your search Chewbacca.
Thanks and I agree.

The price is reasonable even when factoring maintenance. I actually did the math and the 2014 X5 I'm doing the deal on is about the same as a 2015 Honda Pilot; and the Honda isn't exactly Consumer Reports' poster child any more.

The car market is messed up.

Old 21 March 2018, 11:39 AM   #27
faz
"TRF" Member

BMW X5 Diesel long term disaster or bliss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thanks Faz. Your comments are pretty much Bimmerpost Padi-esque based on what the regulars say.

Thanks and I agree.

The price is reasonable even when factoring maintenance. I actually did the math and the 2014 X5 I'm doing the deal on is about the same as a 2015 Honda Pilot; and the Honda isn't exactly Consumer Reports' poster child any more.

The car market is messed up.

You are welcome.

I have been looking at Honda Pilot ( square body style) as a third beater car for ski trips but the resale value of pilot is so high that you are literally better off buying a new one ( depreciate about $200-250 a month on a new one for the first three years or so). Just not worth it to go used on those unless you are buying a $6k-8k car.

A 3-4 year old X5 is a sweet spot from a depreciation and life left point of view. If you put high miles on the car and drive it regularly with performance in mind, you will enjoy it a lot more than the Honda. ( I am a fan of Honda cars and motorcycles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto