The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2018, 12:06 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Poor Customer Service: My Solution

So as some may know, I ended up purchasing an AMG GTs about a week or so ago.

At each stage, the service was less than to be desired. However, I know how important the surveys are to these guys. I wanted to, and felt it was important to provide feedback, but I also did not want to ruin anyones day. And the truth is, they all appeared to be working super hard to get it done right.

Everything was just a medley of errors.

1. The car was still in the show room when I arrived for my appointment to test drive it.
2. It took hours to get an appraisal on my car.
3. It took another hour to get numbers back on the whole deal.
4. When I arrived to pick it up, there was a rock chip on the hood.
5. While inspecting the car before signing the paperwork, another salesperson was showing it to someone else and put his hands all over it, marking it up considerably. He was also stating why that persons current car was better, more exclusive, and faster. The actual customer was a super nice guy.
6. The car was not cleaned before picking it up.
7. The finance guy took me 90 minutes after our scheduled appointment.
8. They could not figure out how to secure the temp plates.
9. The car did not have mats. They had to order and it took almost a week. When I arrived, at the designated time, they told me they could not find them. Took them over an hour to locate.
10. As I pulled out the key fob through an error that it was low on battery.

And maybe the worst part, the guy selling me the car knew nothing about the car. He was celebrating is 80th birthday the next day. Super nice guy. But...again, knew nothing about the car. And instead of saying I don't know. In many cases, he simply made stuff up that I found to be incorrect during my due diligence.

If any one of these happened, not such a big deal. But considering that they all happened in a chain of events, it was frustrating.

Again though, I did not want to ruin anyones day, and I certainly did not want to get anyone in trouble. Especially the nice guy that clearly needed the job.

So, when picking up my mats, I asked to speak with a manager. I started the conversation by stating that I was going to give them all 10's and yes's in the survey. BUT, that as a business owner, I would want the feedback.

I also stated that I loved my salesman and that he was a big reason I purchased the car from them. I really did not want to be responsible for him getting in trouble. I was very calm and polite, and I simply stated the facts.

He thanked me profusely and gave me his card stating that I could call him directly if I ever needed anything.

Overall, I think it was a good outcome. A new relationship. I got to voice my concerns, and no one gets hurt. I am glad it worked out this way.

Now, if someone would have just gotten me a free Diet Coke, it would have all been better.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:17 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Seth - being in the business your manner of providing feedback was a respectable one.

It's really terrible that dealerships are not more process oriented.

With the level of vehicle they should have specific sales personal assigned to assist those customers. I wouldn't imagine all of the sales staff to have the best knowledge on this type of vehicle as they probably only sell a handful at best a year.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:22 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Damn that is quite a bit of sh!te, you handled it great though

Enjoy your new ride brother!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I also think you handled it well.

I've been in involved with two different Mercedes dealers for mine and my father's last two cars.

Can't say the service we experienced was anywhere near that bad, but I can comment on the survey.

Apparently it's a huge deal for the salespeople.

I remember the last person my father leased a car from and the way the salesman spoke about the survey.

He was practically begging. Specifically mentioned how it would make no difference to us if we gave him all 10s and how if we didn't we would literally be taking money from his family.

It was a little disturbing.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:30 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Seth - being in the business your manner of providing feedback was a respectable one.

It's really terrible that dealerships are not more process oriented.

With the level of vehicle they should have specific sales personal assigned to assist those customers. I wouldn't imagine all of the sales staff to have the best knowledge on this type of vehicle as they probably only sell a handful at best a year.
Yeah, I really try to treat people as I would want them to treat me.

I did add that for a Mercedes Benz dealer, the level of service was surprising. And for a car at this level, yes, someone selling it should have product knowledge.

I would love to see them grow and become better from this. I know I am actually using it with my own team to create better SOP's.

Old 20 March 2018, 12:31 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Damn that is quite a bit of sh!te, you handled it great though

Enjoy your new ride brother!
Thanks brother. AND HAPPY BDAY!!!!

Old 20 March 2018, 12:31 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Thanks brother. AND HAPPY BDAY!!!!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I also think you handled it well.

I've been in involved with two different Mercedes dealers for mine and my father's last two cars.

Can't say the service we experienced was anywhere near that bad, but I can comment on the survey.

Apparently it's a huge deal for the salespeople.

I remember the last person my father leased a car from and the way the salesman spoke about the survey.

He was practically begging. Specifically mentioned how it would make no difference to us if we gave him all 10s and how if we didn't we would literally be taking money from his family.

It was a little disturbing.
Yeah, they are really serious about that stuff.

I have had the service managers call me before a survey and request the same.

Old 20 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #9
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I would have been a bit more frustrated. My dealer experience at Toyota was for superior to yours, and I wasn’t even in the top tier line the way you were.

I would have left feedback in their system on any of the process issues. That’s really what drives improvement for the next guy. And the next guy’s experience is what they’re looking to improve
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:39 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I would have been a bit more frustrated. My dealer experience at Toyota was for superior to yours, and I wasn’t even in the top tier line the way you were.

I would have left feedback in their system on any of the process issues. That’s really what drives improvement for the next guy. And the next guy’s experience is what they’re looking to improve
And you would have been correct in doing so.

I just could not bring myself to do it.

Old 20 March 2018, 12:42 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
well done to find a route to be heard and hopefully influence awareness and change to the team...
but unless it is a new dealer or management, i fear not much will change?

when i am told I'm buying any product with world class service and support, i believe them and as a result, i expect their follow up on that great service to be delivered.

Mercedes tells you where the bar is set and it sounds like they were content to go under it rather than over it.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:46 AM   #12
MonBK
Banned

I think you're lucky to have TRF to vent your frustration on .

Congrats and now let's see some pics.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:53 AM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Doesn't the fact that, after all of that, you still bought the car speak to how low our expectations have become? I ask because I was 90% of the way through the process of buying a GL550 AMG a few years ago. I just got so fed up with their nonsense that I just got up and left before I wrote the check. I'd been treated better back when I was buying a $16k car. I hate to think this way, but shouldn't the service be somewhat proportional to the dollar amount spent?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:55 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I think you're lucky to have TRF to vent your frustration on .

Congrats and now let's see some pics.
You are right!!!

I am working on pics. It is currently getting all wrapped up.

Old 20 March 2018, 12:57 AM   #15
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
You are right!!!

I am working on pics. It is currently getting all wrapped up.
I'm pretty sure I can see it already.

A black car with black rims?

I'm usually never wrong but this time I hope I am.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:59 AM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Doesn't the fact that, after all of that, you still bought the car speak to how low our expectations have become? I ask because I was 90% of the way through the process of buying a GL550 AMG a few years ago. I just got so fed up with their nonsense that I just got up and left before I wrote the check. I'd been treated better back when I was buying a $16k car. I hate to think this way, but shouldn't the service be somewhat proportional to the dollar amount spent?
I think the service should be great no matter what you spend. You’re buying a new car, not a box fan at Walmart. They should treat you like they want you to come back.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:00 AM   #17
benvh
"TRF" Member

What I’ve noticed recently, both with the last car I purchased as well as with my most recent mortgage (all within the last 5 months): after getting horrible or non-existent sales/customer service throughout the process, they are very quick to request “all 10s” in the follow up survey. That seems to be the only part they are on top of, not doing their jobs well enough to actually deserve said ratings. Seems like these surveys hold a lot of water with the manufacturers and/or top management, but it doesn’t seem to have the affect they are looking for, at least in these two situations.

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:02 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I'm pretty sure I can see it already.

A black car with black rims?

I'm usually never wrong but this time I hope I am.
ha. close though.

I have pics enough to show. but black car, silver wheels, bronze brakes. a really nice retro looking car.

Old 20 March 2018, 01:03 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I likely would have left.

It was the only 17 I could find. It just so happened to be in a configuration that I wanted. I like the newer 18's, but I prefer the grill on the 17.

I saved nearly 20k by getting a left over. This was very attractive all things considered.

and while I agree with Abdullah, I also agree with you. For a car at this price point, yes, service should be a part of the process.

When buying anything service is important. At my company we treat $200 orders that same as $200,000. BUT we treat them both with respect and we show them we value their business.

Old 20 March 2018, 01:04 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
It's good you spoke up the way you did, Seth The experience is a huge part of purchasing something like this and should never be as you described. Always good to know things will be made better for the next customer. Nicer weather is on the way! Hopefully that'll help you forget all about this!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:07 AM   #21
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
It's good you spoke up the way you did, Seth The experience is a huge part of purchasing something like this and should never be as you described. Always good to know things will be made better for the next customer. Nicer weather is on the way! Hopefully that'll help you forget all about this!
Are we reading the same thread?
Old 20 March 2018, 01:14 AM   #22
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Similar experience in buying 2 new MB's this past fall. I usually do most work via phone and email to avoid spending time on the lots. I was looking for a package deal, one for the wife and a special order for me. Some of the GM's did not even reply to my email with a quote...Sent out emails to all the PNW MB dealers. Only 3 responded effectively. In the end I gave my business to the local dealer. Doing the order was a crack up. I build the car on the MB site and all they had to do was copy the build. It took 5 tries for them to get the order correct. Then for some reason it took a couple weeks for the GM to actually get the order in. When I went to pick up the order the car was sitting on the showroom. Similar to your experience, salesmen were showing my car and people were sitting in it....It was a special order....

During the research process, I set up appointments to drive cars: Jag, BMW, MB, Audi, Cadilac, Alfa, Maserati, Porsche. In all but one case the car was not ready when I arrived for my appointment. The Jag was the worst. It took them an hour to find the car for me to drive it. The BMW dealer actually provided the best service during the research phase.

Customer service is dead, even on "luxury" items. At this point I am desensitized to it and it really does not bother me anyone, I just expect it. Some of these dealerships acted like I should be grateful just to step foot on their lot.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:17 AM   #23
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
ha. close though.

I have pics enough to show. but black car, silver wheels, bronze brakes. a really nice retro looking car.
I assume you mean spokes?!?

Can't wait to see pics!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:19 AM   #24
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Even the luxury car market, for the most part, has become a commoditized business where service is difficult to find these days. At least in my experience. Our local Lexus dealer is OK. But that is the only one I can speak for.

I find a good dealership with good management that runs like it should and I stay loyal to the brand for the most part. For me it has always been GM. We went preowned jeep last time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:23 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Even the luxury car market, for the most part, has become a commoditized business where service is difficult to find these days. At least in my experience. Our local Lexus dealer is OK. But that is the only one I can speak for.

I find a good dealership with good management that runs like it should and I stay loyal to the brand for the most part. For me it has always been GM. We went preowned jeep last time though.

You bring up a super point. And something I deal with all the time.

The vast majority of people are simply price driven. The best service in the world, which costs money, will often times not sway most buyers.

So a lot of sellers try to keep costs as low as possible and thus service suffers. I struggle with this all the time. I want to keep my costs low and service up. But it is a challenge.

Great point.

Old 20 March 2018, 01:24 AM   #26
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I think the service should be great no matter what you spend. You’re buying a new car, not a box fan at Walmart. They should treat you like they want you to come back.
Absolutely.
Old 20 March 2018, 01:30 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D0FE1070-8553-4E04-80D5-712575BB8F56.jpeg (190.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpeg F9E87611-9683-4E43-8C00-ACA993703507.jpeg (157.3 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpeg 57892B93-8559-4510-9BF7-D2A19596C178.jpeg (210.3 KB, 342 views)

Old 20 March 2018, 01:31 AM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
None of these would make me very happy, but when your supper excited to get something like this that can certainly help in staying calm.

I think you handled it well, just hopefully their service after the sale and more importantly their service department isn’t so inept because these truly are going to be more important now.

Congrats, and nice looking car!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:31 AM   #29
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
You bring up a super point. And something I deal with all the time.

The vast majority of people are simply price driven. The best service in the world, which costs money, will often times not sway most buyers.

So a lot of sellers try to keep costs as low as possible and thus service suffers. I struggle with this all the time. I want to keep my costs low and service up. But it is a challenge.

Great point.

I don’t recall the business that you are in Seth but it is the same in the insurance business. Do more with less. Cover bigger territories, work longer hours, drive more miles. Oh, by the way, your budgets are cut and we want you to do it all with a smile as we put in layers of management to micro-manage you. Paying them by cutting/capping your comp.

Some people are just not meant for the customer service/Sales driven business due to personality issues. And many of the good ones that are meant for it have left due to reductions in comp to maximize profits. It leaves sales managers and GM’s to hire an 80 year old guy that knows nothing about the cars to sell them. Much like the Rolex AD’s hire people that don’t know about watches.

There are some people that take pride in their work and will go above and beyond to learn their product and make the experience for the customer exceptional, in spite of any of the above things. I will say most (90%+) will just leave and go on to the next thing if they think the grass is greener.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:31 AM   #30
pickettt
"TRF" Member

This is what I loathe about these times. They want the 10, but they don't want to do the 10 work. How can they have the nerve to ask for a 10 when you've provided 6 work? Do they feel "entitled" to a 10? P.S. that is a bad ass car though.