The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 May 2021, 03:18 AM   #451
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

Wondering if anyone got new CB from boutiques or AD since the production cut announcement?
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 05:28 AM   #452
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

The CS wait lists at ADs is 1 to 2 years, yet pre-owned pricing is still just at MSRP or slightly below. Looks like the CS is the straggler in overall Journe secondary market upward movement, and are relative bargains at the moment.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 06:50 PM   #453
unknown
"TRF" Member

is this the next step ?

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/4451217.html

$ 104,950 plus tax
Old 20 May 2021, 08:22 PM   #454
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
is this the next step ?

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/4451217.html

$ 104,950 plus tax
Wow. In GBP it's coming up at about £75k , +20% tax = £90k. That's a lot for a simple 3-hander with an expensive to service movement.

Still, Watchbox have a really big online following these days and have been pumping FPJ for a long time. We can easily imagine that if you're a whale who wants the watch and doesn't already have an 'in' with the boutiques, and have seen some watchbox videos, you can just hand over some silly money to Watchbox and get a watch that they've been hyping the last few years as an exceptional piece.

Then as soon as you've paid a huge amount of money for one, they will pull another one out of the stockroom, perhaps with an even bigger price having proven that they could list something at $100k and sell it.

Try selling them a CB for $95k to allow them to make a few thousand dollars of profit on it if it's really worth $100k, and they'll laugh at you.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 08:58 PM   #455
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
Wow. In GBP it's coming up at about £75k , +20% tax = £90k. That's a lot for a simple 3-hander with an expensive to service movement.

Still, Watchbox have a really big online following these days and have been pumping FPJ for a long time. We can easily imagine that if you're a whale who wants the watch and doesn't already have an 'in' with the boutiques, and have seen some watchbox videos, you can just hand over some silly money to Watchbox and get a watch that they've been hyping the last few years as an exceptional piece.

Then as soon as you've paid a huge amount of money for one, they will pull another one out of the stockroom, perhaps with an even bigger price having proven that they could list something at $100k and sell it.

Try selling them a CB for $95k to allow them to make a few thousand dollars of profit on it if it's really worth $100k, and they'll laugh at you.
All of these are interesting arguments but here's the rub. Supposing you're a newly minted whale and you want the CB, because it's the Journe du jour. You have no history anywhere. How do you get this watch without waiting 5 to 10 years, which isn't really possible, either, because there's no list to get on?
People on websites like TRF have created this monster through our evolutionary choices and the monster has left it's cage and is roaming the world. Now, people who know nothing about watches but have lots of money want what we want; the CB, 5711, 5712, 116500, 116509, 15202, 5167, 5168, 5968, 15500 et al.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 02:17 AM   #456
itswb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post

Yes who knows how many they have sitting in stock. Its a sellers market, for price to stabilize, prices will have to increase to the point where private owners decide to sell.
itswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 04:48 AM   #457
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
The CS wait lists at ADs is 1 to 2 years, yet pre-owned pricing is still just at MSRP or slightly below. Looks like the CS is the straggler in overall Journe secondary market upward movement, and are relative bargains at the moment.
Where are you seeing CSs for at or below MSRP?

I checked Watchbox and Chrono24 and they don't have any for less than 40K. MSRP for the CS is about 33K for the gold version and 37K for the PT.

I haven't seen any Journes on the secondary for under MSRP.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 07:11 AM   #458
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post

I checked Watchbox and Chrono24 and they don't have any for less than 40K. MSRP for the CS is about 33K for the gold version and 37K for the PT.

How old is that post you are quoting? This thread started in 2018.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 08:57 AM   #459
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
How old is that post you are quoting? This thread started in 2018.
That post is from yesterday!

Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 01:40 PM   #460
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post

EWC had one at 34k the other day, was sold quickly.

I’m in Canada and my grasp of Journe MSRP is... a moving figure as there is no official msrp here - it's mostly a product of USD-CAD exchange rate. Hence my comment.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 02:50 PM   #461
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswb View Post
Yes who knows how many they have sitting in stock. Its a sellers market, for price to stabilize, prices will have to increase to the point where private owners decide to sell.
I think you hit on the main reason the price continues higher. To start with, there have been a fraction of CBs produced compared to the mass production numbers of other high-demand watches. Then add to that the fact that people holding most of the CBs are true collectors and people who have a passion for the brand. These people are not your average flippers. The result of the constant demand that continues to grow as new people become aware of the brand, and only a few watches being available on the grey market at any given time, is a market price that will continue to incrementally increase. $100K has been breached and still there hasn't been a wave of private sellers. Where it stops, nobody knows.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 09:04 PM   #462
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I think you hit on the main reason the price continues higher. To start with, there have been a fraction of CBs produced compared to the mass production numbers of other high-demand watches. Then add to that the fact that people holding most of the CBs are true collectors and people who have a passion for the brand. These people are not your average flippers. The result of the constant demand that continues to grow as new people become aware of the brand, and only a few watches being available on the grey market at any given time, is a market price that will continue to incrementally increase. $100K has been breached and still there hasn't been a wave of private sellers. Where it stops, nobody knows.
Haha Bill remember when we were contemplating a 5170P vs CB trade. Getting pretty close to an even trade now ;)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2021, 11:15 PM   #463
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Haha Bill remember when we were contemplating a 5170P vs CB trade. Getting pretty close to an even trade now ;)
Ha! I remember that. Back then there was quite a disparity in market value. But I concluded that I love the CB so much that I wouldn’t even trade it straight up for the 5170P (not that you were offering any such deal!). I think that was what helped me realize how much I really loved the CB. It’s not always about the $.

And years later, after having added a 5070G and then an 1815 Chronograph, I eventually determined the 1815 Chronograph is the only one I want. I plan to sell the 5070G sometime in the coming months because the 1815 is just that special.

I’ve found that it takes a while in this hobby, with some trial & error, to learn what you truly love to own & wear. For me, the WEAR part of the equation is key. I often remind myself of this because I don’t want to become a museum curator, nor can I afford to. The difficult (and expensive) part is that sometimes it takes owning a piece for a while to make that determination.

Apologies for veering slightly off topic.
Old 23 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #464
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Another one got auctioned in Zurich today - € 90k all in. Seems like CB really reached a new baseline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 07:52 AM   #465
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
Another one got auctioned in Zurich today - € 90k all in. Seems like CB really reached a new baseline

Can you post a link please?
Old 23 May 2021, 08:07 AM   #466
itswb
"TRF" Member

Add 24% buyer fee to these prices

itswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 08:52 AM   #467
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

$110k USD all-in for a CB?

That's utterly absurd.

There's so many more watches you can get for $110k that are more complicated.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 09:06 AM   #468
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswb View Post
Add 24% buyer fee to these prices

Thanks for posting this
Sorry to see you were outbid
Old 23 May 2021, 09:11 AM   #469
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
$110k USD all-in for a CB?

That's utterly absurd.

There's so many more watches you can get for $110k that are more complicated.
We had to accept that it’s not about complications anymore but about icons
And the Journe CB became the most iconic FP Joure
It’s their 5711

But I agree you can get more special watches IF special means complications

I just got a notification , I can get a breguet chronograph TOURBILLON in white gold for only 34.000 euro
That’s close to what I could get for my basic white dial steel Daytona
Let’s be serious ... how the f@ck can a steel Daytona has the same value as a gold breguet chronograph tourbillon ??

I’m collection since more than 25 years and while I know quite a lot about watches... this is new to me.
Old 23 May 2021, 06:05 PM   #470
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
We had to accept that it’s not about complications anymore but about icons
And the Journe CB became the most iconic FP Joure
It’s their 5711

But I agree you can get more special watches IF special means complications

I just got a notification , I can get a breguet chronograph TOURBILLON in white gold for only 34.000 euro
That’s close to what I could get for my basic white dial steel Daytona
Let’s be serious ... how the f@ck can a steel Daytona has the same value as a gold breguet chronograph tourbillon ??

I’m collection since more than 25 years and while I know quite a lot about watches... this is new to me.
Shouldn’t Resonace, Tourbillion or Chronometre Optium be the most iconic Journe’s?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 06:18 PM   #471
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Has anyone tried to sell their CB? what is being asked and what is being offered are complete different things. And has anyone even asked WATCHBOX? they might by 1 or 2 pieces at a high price so as to support the market, but really, imagine 10 people offered them the CB at the same time. I am quite certain they will be asking for at least 35-40% margin. The whole this is so opportunistic and by creating an iconic aura, it makes it an illiquid market as Journe himself isn't producing more than 1000 pieces a year. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was watchbox offering their own stock for auction to quietly prop the market up and get rid of inventory.
Old 23 May 2021, 06:34 PM   #472
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

except for rolex or hot PP/AP sport models , bid/ask spread for most of watches is at least 30%.
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 06:36 PM   #473
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Shouldn’t Resonace, Tourbillion or Chronometre Optium be the most iconic Journe’s?
That is why they have already been very expensive.
Old 23 May 2021, 08:36 PM   #474
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
Has anyone tried to sell their CB? what is being asked and what is being offered are complete different things. And has anyone even asked WATCHBOX? they might by 1 or 2 pieces at a high price so as to support the market, but really, imagine 10 people offered them the CB at the same time. I am quite certain they will be asking for at least 35-40% margin. The whole this is so opportunistic and by creating an iconic aura, it makes it an illiquid market as Journe himself isn't producing more than 1000 pieces a year. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was watchbox offering their own stock for auction to quietly prop the market up and get rid of inventory.
They are learning from PP.. creating the artificial hype. Ingenious but wicked.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 10:15 PM   #475
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Looks like $110K is the new high water mark. Impressive.
Old 24 May 2021, 01:27 AM   #476
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison_cheng View Post
That is why they have already been very expensive.

Exactly. At $110k for a CB, one could have acquired at least a Resonance which is a real iconic piece.

And I assume that Journe collector is probably not in the same group as the ones in the SS sports watch chase.

BTW, I really like the CB and would get one without second thought from the boutique but since it is impossible, I am resigned to enjoying what I have now.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 05:50 AM   #477
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu pricing going through the roof!

Holy non-fungible tokens! $110K!?? Bananas!
I’ll sell the below NFT for $24,900. ; )

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #478
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post

Yes I’ve asked WatchBox and they showed 30% below what they were listing one for at the time.

lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:37 AM   #479
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

I also asked them seriouisly. I was offered 100K USD for 2021 Mar. not the one listed on their website.
Old 25 May 2021, 01:39 AM   #480
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

70k to buy one from watchbox now, which I think it is difficult.