The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 December 2021, 12:05 AM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

GS needs to change their focus

I’m quite tired of seeing limited editions releasing left and right. It seems like every 2 weeks there’s another LE released. Everytime it’s the same story, some minor change, typically to the dial.

They need to stop putting this energy (or is it because it’s so easy there’s not much energy needed) into releasing LE, and work on the same complaints everyone has about their watches.

1. Make it thinner. 14mm is too thick, it needs to be in the 12mm range.

2. Improve the bracelet and clasp. Taper the bracelet and get better clasps.

I really appreciate the craftsmanship of GS watches, and they make beautiful timepieces. I’ve been waiting to buy my next GS when they do the two things above, and I keep hoping the next release that comes out it these will be addressed. Sadly it’s the same thing every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 12:15 AM   #2
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
I’m quite tired of seeing limited editions releasing left and right. It seems like every 2 weeks there’s another LE released. Everytime it’s the same story, some minor change, typically to the dial.

They need to stop putting this energy (or is it because it’s so easy there’s not much energy needed) into releasing LE, and work on the same complaints everyone has about their watches.

I really appreciate the craftsmanship of GS watches, and they make beautiful timepieces. I’ve been waiting to buy my next GS when they do the two things above, and I keep hoping the next release that comes out it these will be addressed. Sadly it’s the same thing every time.

Can't agree with you more. There are so many LE out there , they have very little meaning, at least to me.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 12:54 AM   #3
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Agreed too thick for the size and put the new movement in more newer models and stay competitive price wise . The bracelet never bugged me but the lack of micro adjust at the price point did. The lack of lume was also annoying but the latest release seem to have at least partially fixed that . I think painting a new dial isn’t that big of a deal investment wise , tapering bracelets adding micro adjust clasp a la IWC is a different ball game
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 05:36 PM   #4
rolehex

I don't mind all the new, LE models they come out with, in fact I'm hoping they create a nice deep red version again soon. But I for sure agree that they are waaaay to thick and should be 12 or less mm.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The new GS movements for high beat (9SA5) and Spring Drive (9RA2) are slimmer than the previous generations, and also better finished. The recent releases SLGH003 and SLGA007 are only 11.7mm and 11.8mm respectively. I believe they will be rolled out in their new models gradually.

There are a lot of feedback in the Rolex main thread about GS bracelet, but it has never been an issue for me.

The 2 models above are limited and I can't even buy them because they are out of stock within the first day of the release news. I wish they make more of them.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:27 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The new GS movements for high beat (9SA5) and Spring Drive (9RA2) are slimmer than the previous generations, and also better finished. The recent releases SLGH003 and SLGA007 are only 11.7mm and 11.8mm respectively. I believe they will be rolled out in their new models gradually.

There are a lot of feedback in the Rolex main thread about GS bracelet, but it has never been an issue for me.

The 2 models above are limited and I can't even buy them because they are out of stock within the first day of the release news. I wish they make more of them.
Thanks for bringing these two references to our attention

I really love the case lines of both Shame I won’t be able to see one though
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 09:57 PM   #7
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

I was going to say the same thing. The 007 shows how the have been working on slimming down the cases and movements. The case size is near perfect on that model.

Bracelets, yeah that's something they still need to take care of. It's ridiculous that nearly the identical bracelets on <$1K Seiko models have micro adjustments, while $8K+ Grand Seikos do not.

https://seikousa.com/collections/mens/products/ssc813

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 10:02 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:

I agree with this observation and because I am such a big fan of the brand and with the availability situation of Rolex/PP/AP I have looked past it. For awhile I have felt awash in a sea of models and options. I now have the Panerai feel where the brand introduces a LE/SE and create a lot of hype only to have a slight modification to the dial or other area and make it a regular production model undercutting the original piece. Don't even mention the crossover of pricing between GS/Seiko LX/Seiko and you have what can best be described as a mess and at worst an uncoordinated marketing effort and money grab. While I still appreciate the GS brand I have nothing on the radar for a purchase.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 11:57 PM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I agree with this observation and because I am such a big fan of the brand and with the availability situation of Rolex/PP/AP I have looked past it. For awhile I have felt awash in a sea of models and options. I now have the Panerai feel where the brand introduces a LE/SE and create a lot of hype only to have a slight modification to the dial or other area and make it a regular production model undercutting the original piece. Don't even mention the crossover of pricing between GS/Seiko LX/Seiko and you have what can best be described as a mess and at worst an uncoordinated marketing effort and money grab. While I still appreciate the GS brand I have nothing on the radar for a purchase.

As an owner of a few GS, have to agree w this as well as the above (need to prioritize case thinness and bracelet over a bazillion dial variations)… so for the foreseeable future my attention has turned elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 12:09 AM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
People keep repeating this garbage about the bracelet and clasp and it’s really overblown. It’s secure, in accord with the look of the watch, and have not heard of serious problems-other than these grips. Funny about how folks looked at the 5 digit clasps and bracelets and being perfectly fine, while seiko gets crucified for this.

As for the LE, who really cares if you like the watch get it. If not don’t. AP does the limited edition stuff too, no one gets too upset about that. Funny about that. Perhaps GS should start using their AD networks to limit supply like another brand we all know and love. The reality is from a business standpoint GS does this because it sells. They are a business and the purpose of a business is to make money. If it was not working you better believe they would change it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:14 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
People keep repeating this garbage about the bracelet and clasp and it’s really overblown. It’s secure, in accord with the look of the watch, and have not heard of serious problems-other than these grips. Funny about how folks looked at the 5 digit clasps and bracelets and being perfectly fine, while seiko gets crucified for this.
For the record I had the same complaints about the Rolex 5-digit bracelets and sold my 16710 partly because of it. BUT at least the Rolex had micro adjustments on the clasp. If GS gave me that I could ignore the other bracelet issues that people bring up. It's not a bad bracelet and it's comfortable if you manage to get it sized perfectly. But it could be better.

Look at the link I posted above. That's a $675 watch with a very similar bracelet design to what's on nearly all of the GS heritage line. Somehow they were able to put micro adjust on there without destroying the aesthetics of the bracelet and clasp. Why can't GS do the same???

Old 4 December 2021, 02:51 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
For the record I had the same complaints about the Rolex 5-digit bracelets and sold my 16710 partly because of it. BUT at least the Rolex had micro adjustments on the clasp. If GS gave me that I could ignore the other bracelet issues that people bring up. It's not a bad bracelet and it's comfortable if you manage to get it sized perfectly. But it could be better.

Look at the link I posted above. That's a $675 watch with a very similar bracelet design to what's on nearly all of the GS heritage line. Somehow they were able to put micro adjust on there without destroying the aesthetics of the bracelet and clasp. Why can't GS do the same???

Sure, I don’t disagree with that and I think the discrepancy between their finishing (which can be on par with PP) and the bracelet makes the bracelet stand out more. I also think a couple years ago when GS was better priced it’s easier to me more forgiving but not so much as prices go up. I just think that the issues can be overblown with the bracelet, as they are functional just not great but would not be a deal breaker for me. I tend to view all watches even the trinity as having pros and cons and GS is no different.

Old 4 December 2021, 04:12 AM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post

Take a look at this clasp on the Seiko LX models..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSrq4_Pm_8

3:35 is where it's displayed
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:44 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Take a look at this clasp on the Seiko LX models..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSrq4_Pm_8

3:35 is where it's displayed
Yeah I like that. Doesn't look bulky and it's nice and hidden from view. Good looking watch too!

Love when Chris says, "something Grand Seiko should take note of"

That's my AD by the way. Good folks over there
Old 4 December 2021, 12:50 PM   #15
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As for the LE, who really cares if you like the watch get it. If not don’t. AP does the limited edition stuff too, no one gets too upset about that. Funny about that. Perhaps GS should start using their AD networks to limit supply like another brand we all know and love. The reality is from a business standpoint GS does this because it sells. They are a business and the purpose of a business is to make money. If it was not working you better believe they would change it.
Maybe the crappy clasps don’t bother you, or you’re not paying attention. Or maybe you have one of the few GS models that has a nice clasp.

The bracelets on the GS are beautiful, it just really bothers me they don’t taper it much. On my SBGE257 it tapers maybe 1mm. Most watches that taper from 20mm to 16mm is perfect. That’s my only complaint on the bracelet.

The clasp is garbage. Just look at these pictures. My SBGE257 compared to that on a datejust. One the clasp is huge, two they just put pin holes throughout the side for the adjustment. The large overhang and bulky size with the thin stamped sheet metal is also flimsy looking and cheap. Finally no quick adjustment like the ezlink on the Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg img_1324.jpeg (82.3 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpeg img_1329.jpeg (111.5 KB, 856 views)
Old 4 December 2021, 12:59 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Maybe the crappy clasps don’t bother you, or you’re not paying attention. Or maybe you have one of the few GS models that has a nice clasp.

The bracelets on the GS are beautiful, it just really bothers me they don’t taper it much. On my SBGE257 it tapers maybe 1mm. Most watches that taper from 20mm to 16mm is perfect. That’s my only complaint on the bracelet.

The clasp is garbage. Just look at these pictures. My SBGE257 compared to that on a datejust. One the clasp is huge, two they just put pin holes throughout the side for the adjustment. The large overhang and bulky size with the thin stamped sheet metal is also flimsy looking and cheap. Finally no quick adjustment like the ezlink on the Rolex.
Doesn't the GS clasp fold together better and slimmer as the one part sits inside the other, unlike the Rolex? Also I prefer the smooth button release of the GS, rather than forcing open like the Rolex requires. I don't have that clasp, but it doesn't look that huge from here. The bracelet and clasp on my SBGT235 is the best I've ever owned on any brand.
Old 4 December 2021, 01:22 PM   #17
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Completely agree with OP and the very valid points you've raised.

The new 9S case is a step in the right direction: thinner case profile and better lug shape, but sadly the bracelet is 22mm, with little-to-no taper, and still the same tired old clasp design. Unfortunate. Yet another GS destined for strap options. Sorry, but that is not acceptable in this price range. I shouldn't have to remove half the watch (bracelet/clasp) and throw it into the trash the moment I purchase the watch.

As for product branding and identity, please, no more LE. Focus on several specific model lines and make a consistent effort to flesh out that production, allowing for some dial options in some of those lines. I think Rolex does this best. The whole LE thing is a tired and disappointing approach when overdone, and GS is one of the worst offenders. They even have Regional LE's. Seriously?? Doesn't help that your watches have obscure references and there's hundreds of them. Sometimes less is more, especially if the formula is right.
Old 4 December 2021, 06:24 PM   #18
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I don’t see anyone complain Patek and AP doesn’t have micro adjustments, neither does Rolex day date.

So is micro adjustment really that necessary or people just want to pick on GS
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:47 PM   #19
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I don’t see anyone complain Patek and AP doesn’t have micro adjustments, neither does Rolex day date.

The latter.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:11 PM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Completely agree with OP and the very valid points you've raised.

The new 9S case is a step in the right direction: thinner case profile and better lug shape, but sadly the bracelet is 22mm, with little-to-no taper, and still the same tired old clasp design. Unfortunate. Yet another GS destined for strap options. Sorry, but that is not acceptable in this price range. I shouldn't have to remove half the watch (bracelet/clasp) and throw it into the trash the moment I purchase the watch.

As for product branding and identity, please, no more LE. Focus on several specific model lines and make a consistent effort to flesh out that production, allowing for some dial options in some of those lines. I think Rolex does this best. The whole LE thing is a tired and disappointing approach when overdone, and GS is one of the worst offenders. They even have Regional LE's. Seriously?? Doesn't help that your watches have obscure references and there's hundreds of them. Sometimes less is more, especially if the formula is right.
The bracelet width on slgh003 was ridiculously wide. Should be 20mm
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:45 PM   #21
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The bracelet and clasp on my SBGT235 is the best I've ever owned on any brand.
Thanks for helping me feel sane, Adam. I feel the same way about my SBGJ021 bracelet/clasp! Solid feel, nicely machined clasp, satisfying and easy button release...GS knows what they're doing when it comes to making watches. When it comes to a coherent marketing vision and product lineup, not so much, but oh well!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 02:05 AM   #22
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

GS clasp has a folding arm that is too small. It is designed to sit at the outer edge of your wrist, rather than the center the way the Rolex folding arm sits. The latter is a superior design that balances the weight of the watch and lets you wear it loose, without rotating too much on your wrist. GS clasp only feels good when the bracelet is perfectly sized, sadly a human wrist has the tendency to swell and contract.
This scientific concept is outside the realm of comprehension for GS, as resizing a GS bracelet is a tedious experience, especially as a result of either pin/collar fixation (get out the punch/hammer/tweezers) or due to insanely tiny, cheap microscopic screws

Last edited by TimeAZ; 5 December 2021 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Typo
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 04:01 AM   #23
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Could it be better yes. Crappy is a strong word for a bracelet that does it’s job. If it failed, came loose, etc, that is a different thing. But garbage come on now. That’s a bit dramatic.

Old 5 December 2021, 04:35 AM   #24
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Doesn't the GS clasp fold together better and slimmer as the one part sits inside the other, unlike the Rolex? Also I prefer the smooth button release of the GS, rather than forcing open like the Rolex requires. I don't have that clasp, but it doesn't look that huge from here. The bracelet and clasp on my SBGT235 is the best I've ever owned on any brand.
Quote:

Quote:
Could it be better yes. Crappy is a strong word for a bracelet that does it’s job. If it failed, came loose, etc, that is a different thing. But garbage come on now. That’s a bit dramatic.

I looked up a video of the SBGT235 and have to say that looks like a well executed clasp.

Mine is still crappy (SBGE257). I’ll make a YouTube video one of these days comparing the clasps between my GS and other watches I have. A decent comparison is against even a Tudor BB58. I’m actually not that concerned about the lack of micro adjustment. It’s just a crappy cheap looking and bulky clasp on the GS. And it’s all about expectations - if this watch was $100 bucks I would say that’s a perfectly fine clasp. But this is a $6k+ watch, it deserves a much better clasp than the one they put. And coming back, I really do like GS. The finishing, the spring drive movement and how perfect that second hand moves, and how well they execute on the multi faceted indices and hour/second hand to make it shine. It’s a beaut. But the clasp on this watch is garbage.

Maybe it’s part of the fact GS has so many models and variants, and are doing releases so fast. The clasp really becomes an afterthought. Like I said, I’d rather they do less releases and get the watches right, than to flood the market.

Long term it won’t be a winning strategy for a luxury brand. This approach can work for Seiko, but not GS. I hope they realize it sooner than later.
Old 5 December 2021, 04:46 AM   #25
Cru Jones

These threads with “armchair watch executives” giving out free advice are always good for a chuckle.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:00 AM   #26
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The latter.
Indeed!
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:50 AM   #27
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Some people like the heft. And design. Agreed with you re: number of releases.

As to thickness and bracelet, there are plenty of thinner cases and straps.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:23 AM   #28
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

These threads with “armchair watch executives” giving out free advice are always good for a chuckle.

Yep. Most companies pay for this kind of feedback

Old 5 December 2021, 05:19 PM   #29
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep. Most companies pay for this kind of feedback

I will agree with the SBGE257 clasp. Unlike most of the GS clasps which are slim, these are big and doesn’t look great.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:21 PM   #30
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

You are tired of seeing GS LE’s but still hope the next one will be better?

Last week I saw a window tray full of discounted GS models?

I think this is a more serious issue for Seiko.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote