The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
My Way of giving back to the community...Need Computer help? post here!

Hi guys. im quite new here. but, i have been with numerous forums and i believe that these things help people out alot. i am a member of BMW forums and now this. The two passion that i have right now, BMWs and Rolex. Hopefully Ferrari or Lamborghini in the future LOL

Anyway,

if you have any computer questions or issues. may they be Desktop Laptop or Servers, Windows to Macs (sorry not certified with Linux) then i will gladly help you guys out....

so just post away....
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 07:21 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Great gesture Alfredo, have a feeling you're going to get swamped.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 07:37 AM   #3
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

No worries man. other people have done the same to me... just trying to play it forward. I had this one Problem with my M3 that even the damn dealer could not figure out. ithe engine was whistling at idle. one guy at bimmerfest said its the Crank Case Vent Valve. and that was it. im not a Rolex expert so cant really help much... but Computers and Technology i can surely help out. I can refer you too with Dell if you want discounts... thats where my connections are HEHE
Old 29 January 2012, 08:12 AM   #4
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
Is it possible to upgrade a single core computer (Compaq Presario SR1603WN) to a dual core set up? I've upgraded the RAM from the paltry 256 MB by adding 1.5 G which made a dramatic difference, but it's still slow accessing programs, opening new tabs and etc. (No gaming or such nonsense.)
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 08:21 AM   #5
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Great initiative
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch watcher View Post
Is it possible to upgrade a single core computer (Compaq Presario SR1603WN) to a dual core set up? I've upgraded the RAM from the paltry 256 MB by adding 1.5 G which made a dramatic difference, but it's still slow accessing programs, opening new tabs and etc. (No gaming or such nonsense.)

Ahh my First Customer LOL

Yes it is possible. If im not mistaken, yours is an AMD machine right not Intel... please open the Machine and look at the Motherboard. if your motherboard is ASUS A8AE-LE or AmberineM-GL6E, then you would need a socket 939 Processor. the only AMD Dual core you can put in it AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

however, speed isnt all about processors. that is a misconception with computers and have become a marketing scheme. Although Processing power does affect the overall performance of the system, it only accounts for 30% of the relative performance. the other 40% is based on the Hard Drive. you want a speed boost? Change the hard drive to Western Digitals Velocity Raptor!!! 10000 RPM(revolutions per minute). unless you do alot of multi tasking or video editing and photoshop, you really dont need a dual core. it depends on what you use the machine for. if you will be running Windows 7 then Dual core is the minimum.

Check this Link out.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ct=1118242#N85

Buy the processor at Circuitcity.com or tigerdirect.com Newegg charges tax so i dont like them.
Old 29 January 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Great initiative
Thanks! Just doing my fair share. if i didnt join the forum i would have blown 6 grand for an explorer II. i paid way less than that with DAVIDSW... to thanks to TRF and thanks to the Community which makes this place so great!!!

PS im also an amateur BMW mechanic LOL
Old 29 January 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post

Buy the processor at Circuitcity.com or tigerdirect.com Newegg charges tax so i dont like them.
Newegg doesn't charge me tax.

You get charged tax because you are in CA where Newegg is located.

Old 29 January 2012, 05:22 PM   #9
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
Newegg doesn't charge me tax.

You get charged tax because you are in CA where Newegg is located.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=2

Although Newegg only charges sales tax on sales shipped to the states mentioned above, please note that your state of residence may require you to pay sales or use tax and file a sales or use tax return for certain purchases made from Newegg. Please consult your city, county and state tax rates to determine your applicable sales or use tax.
Old 29 January 2012, 09:55 PM   #10
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Excellent gesture Alfredo.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2012, 10:47 PM   #11
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Great gesture Alfredo, but you may end up like me - I offered to help, and 1300 replies and 100000 views later, it's still going!
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 12:08 AM   #12
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Great gesture Alfredo, but you may end up like me - I offered to help, and 1300 replies and 100000 views later, it's still going!
Yeah but it is a awesome thread Chris, you've have helped out literally hundreds of peopl. Great, great effort. This is the stuff that makes TRF wonderful.

Maybe Paul(VTCguy) should also start a thread offering to help people out with relationship/dating issues.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 01:54 AM   #13
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think I'll be going anywhere anytime soon. I'm addicted again. Lol.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:12 AM   #14
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Alfredo, kudos to you for giving back and lending your expertise to those in need.....

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 04:13 AM   #15
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
And Chris, we sure do appreciate all you do for us here as well and am glad you are sharing your knowledge here with all of us.....Thanx

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Lion.

we do what we can. im learning alot here in the Forums as well. i might start writing articles too if the need arise. im sure there are lots of Server Admins out here too. please feel free to hijack this thread lol. two heads are better than one.
Old 30 January 2012, 10:02 AM   #17
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Alfredo,my question is,whether it is worthwhile upgrading a two year old laptop with an Intel solid state drive to get a bit more speed or is it the internet connection that`s probably slowing things down?I`m wondering why it seems to take so long for pages with hi res pics to load.I`ve got 4 gig of ram which I reckon is plenty.

Thanks in advance.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Mobe,

loading pages depends on alot of things. hardware is only part of the equation, you also have to take in consideration the scripts of the page. some pages might load faster than the others because they are just plain HTML pages. add Javascript to the equation and the page will load a little slower.

test your internet speed. go to speedtest.net to see your upload and download results. for normal web browsing, i would recommend atleast 2mbps down stream speed.

4gig of ram is just the norm these days, you say you have a solid state drive? and its a 2 year old laptop? must have been pretty expensive back in the day.

Computer slowdowns are a normal occurrence through use. this is called OS ROt (operating system rot). Computers are like cars and Rolex. they need routine maintenance.

is your computer a windows machine or a mac?

if windows:

perform a disc cleanup and defrag the hard drive.
go to avgfree.com/pctuneup download it and run it. scan for errors. its a free first time fix.

you might also have some malwares so download malwarebytes and scan your system.

if all else fails. back up everything and reinstall windows. i can help you with this and give you some documentation of you need me to.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:01 AM   #19
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mobe,

loading pages depends on alot of things. hardware is only part of the equation, you also have to take in consideration the scripts of the page. some pages might load faster than the others because they are just plain HTML pages. add Javascript to the equation and the page will load a little slower.

test your internet speed. go to speedtest.net to see your upload and download results. for normal web browsing, i would recommend atleast 2mbps down stream speed.

4gig of ram is just the norm these days, you say you have a solid state drive? and its a 2 year old laptop? must have been pretty expensive back in the day.

Computer slowdowns are a normal occurrence through use. this is called OS ROt (operating system rot). Computers are like cars and Rolex. they need routine maintenance.

is your computer a windows machine or a mac?

if windows:

perform a disc cleanup and defrag the hard drive.
go to avgfree.com/pctuneup download it and run it. scan for errors. its a free first time fix.

you might also have some malwares so download malwarebytes and scan your system.

if all else fails. back up everything and reinstall windows. i can help you with this and give you some documentation of you need me to.
Thanks Alfredo,I forgot to mention I`m running Vista and Kaspersky anti virus.
My harddrive is disc and my internet speed is 30 mbps.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:09 AM   #20
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

30MBPS???
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Thats fast! BLAZING FAST!!!! WHOOOOHOOO!!!! FAST.

one of the main problems of vista is slowness.

what browser are you using? try google chrome or firefox. i bet vista is the culprit here.

do the basic maintenance and lets see what happens. is the laptop a dell? upgrade to windows 7 you will love it.

if you would need help just pm me and lets schedule at remote session in one weekend so i can show you what maintenance means with PC. im glad to teach it to you guys.. or maybe ill find a video or ill make one for TRF members...
Old 30 January 2012, 11:24 AM   #21
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
30MBPS???
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Thats fast! BLAZING FAST!!!! WHOOOOHOOO!!!! FAST.

one of the main problems of vista is slowness.

what browser are you using? try google chrome or firefox. i bet vista is the culprit here.

do the basic maintenance and lets see what happens. is the laptop a dell? upgrade to windows 7 you will love it.

if you would need help just pm me and lets schedule at remote session in one weekend so i can show you what maintenance means with PC. im glad to teach it to you guys.. or maybe ill find a video or ill make one for TRF members...
Sorry I mean to say up to 30 download speed but only 512 kbps upload,I`m not very tech literate.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:37 AM   #22
Quackers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I may be able to pitch in with helping out with (a limited) knowledge of Linux - particularly Ubuntu and derivatives. Grub and booting problems seem to be my area of "expertise"
Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 12:32 PM   #23
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
I may be able to pitch in with helping out with (a limited) knowledge of Linux - particularly Ubuntu and derivatives. Grub and booting problems seem to be my area of "expertise"
There we go. Thanks Mike... now we have a resident Linux guy lol.

Im hardware windows, Mac OS, IOS, Cisco, and windows Servers.
Old 30 January 2012, 12:36 PM   #24
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
Sorry I mean to say up to 30 download speed but only 512 kbps upload,I`m not very tech literate.
its okay bro. we all have our area of expertise like what mike said he is Linux where i really suck.... wasnt able to focus on it since dell was a windows company back in the days.

30kbps or mbps?

do you need instructions on how to perform vista maintenance?
Old 30 January 2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Jadam
"TRF" Member

Thanks again. . .

Alfredo, I appreciate your wisdom. I am having same issue as mobe and will try your suggestions as well!
Jadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 01:56 PM   #26
blackmsport
Banned

Quote:
Hi guys. im quite new here. but, i have been with numerous forums and i believe that these things help people out alot. i am a member of BMW forums and now this. The two passion that i have right now, BMWs and Rolex. Hopefully Ferrari or Lamborghini in the future LOL

Thanks a lot in advance

Great to have you in TRF

BTW I am a BMW and Rolex fan too and have no desire to be Ferrari fan as I know I cannot afford Ferrari

welcome on board

Linh
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 02:22 PM   #27
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
Thanks a lot in advance

Great to have you in TRF

BTW I am a BMW and Rolex fan too and have no desire to be Ferrari fan as I know I cannot afford Ferrari

welcome on board

Linh
Thanks Linh nice ride
Old 30 January 2012, 02:23 PM   #28
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam View Post
Alfredo, I appreciate your wisdom. I am having same issue as mobe and will try your suggestions as well!
youre welcome. let me know how it turns out...
Old 30 January 2012, 02:37 PM   #29
smartson
"TRF" Member

Hi Alfredo

Welcome to TRF and appreciate your offering. I am also a BMW fan too.

Roger

BTW Any experience working with Win2008 Hyper-v ? I just installed Win2008R2 on an i5 laptop plenty of RAM, enabled HyperV. Bam! The machine became dead slow even without VM!
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 02:58 PM   #30
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartson View Post
Hi Alfredo

Welcome to TRF and appreciate your offering. I am also a BMW fan too.

Roger

BTW Any experience working with Win2008 Hyper-v ? I just installed Win2008R2 on an i5 laptop plenty of RAM, enabled HyperV. Bam! The machine became dead slow even without VM!
hey roger, thanks. i love bmws. im on 4th one right now and this one i think is a keeper.

Tons of experience with Hyper V. i hate it.

so you did a clean install of R2 on a laptop? although i3s and i5s are being used in some server setups, i dont think the hard drives of laptops can accommodate the read write requirements of server 08. can you take a screen shot of "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System"? what was your purpose of doing this on a laptop?

what flavour of R2 did you install? Datacenter, Enterprise? Foundation?

open the task manager when you slow down, what is the processor usage? if the system is slow and there is hardly any processor querries then the problem is with the hard drive.

Tags
computer , mac , pc help , server , windows