The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 August 2021, 02:08 AM   #1
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Seeking advice if i should sell my AP 15500st

I have always wanted a Rolex Pepsi BLRO and did not get it when it first launched because i felt paying 2x MSRP back in 2018 was utter bullcrap. Getting one at an AD for MSRP is impossible for a normal person like me. I thought after a few years the price will come down but here we are today and nothing much has changed.

At that point of time, as much as i lusted over the BLRO, logic prevailed and i put myself on the waiting list for a 15500st grey dial instead when it was still available at MSRP. i did get it after 1 year and along the way, i have managed to add other pieces to my collection (Tudor BBB, Patek 5205g) but never the BLRO which was always elusive and just didnt make sense to get at grey prices.

However, with the recent run up of the AP prices, if i were to sell my AP, the profits alone from this sale will cover 2/3 the price of a brand new BLRO at grey prices and i effectively get the watch for cheap. Of course, i lose my AP along the way and i still like the watch very much as it adds a little diversity to my collection. I know the AP is a better watch horogically in almost every way but its been 3 years and i feel like I've waited long enough for a BLRO. What would you do?
Old 5 August 2021, 02:15 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Seeking advice if i should sell my AP 15500st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
I have always wanted a Rolex Pepsi BLRO. I know the AP is a better watch horogically in almost every way but its been 3 years and i feel like I've waited long enough for a BLRO. What would you do?

I’d grow up, waiting is part of the game. Failing that find a new hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:17 AM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't consider that. Losing your position on the RO isn't worth doing for a steel rolex at the inflated price. Now if you were talking about a meteorite BLRO we are having a different conversation at that point. You should buy steel gmt and see if you bond with it. If you like it enough to sell the RO then do it at that point. If you need the money bad enough then you can always sell the gmt for a small loss but you didn't have to give up the AP to do it. But really just get the meteorite GMT instead
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

Ouch that hurts. The problem in this case is that the game is currently rigged in favour of those with good existing relationships with ADs or the big spenders, of which i am neither.
Old 5 August 2021, 02:29 AM   #5
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

The heart wants what the heart wants. I’ll always wonder why some heads will get turned by Rolex steel despite owning a top class AP. But there are no right or wrong answers of course.

My vote is keep the 15500, you already have a daily beater.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:30 AM   #6
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawatomi View Post
I wouldn't consider that. Losing your position on the RO isn't worth doing for a steel rolex at the inflated price. Now if you were talking about a meteorite BLRO we are having a different conversation at that point. You should buy steel gmt and see if you bond with it. If you like it enough to sell the RO then do it at that point. If you need the money bad enough then you can always sell the gmt for a small loss but you didn't have to give up the AP to do it. But really just get the meteorite GMT instead
That actually makes alot of sense. However this would mean topping up a significant amount of money though and I'm not in a position currently to do so.

If i wanted to top up, i could just use that amount to just buy the 126710 without selling my watch
Old 5 August 2021, 02:32 AM   #7
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
This just came in today… I know I’m still in the honeymoon stage but I couldn’t imagine swapping it out for the GMT. Against my Black Daytona C… that might be a little harder.

Old 5 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #8
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
If your even considering selling the RO then you obviously don't love it that much, so just do it if the BLRO is always on your mind and you have no other way to fund it.

I personally, really like the BLRO and would love one, but wouldn't ever consider selling my RO to fund it.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #9
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
The heart wants what the heart wants. I’ll always wonder why some heads will get turned by Rolex steel despite owning a top class AP. But there are no right or wrong answers of course.

My vote is keep the 15500, you already have a daily beater.
I am wondering that myself too. I'm grateful that i have a collection most people will envy but deep down i am still longing for the BLRO.

Definitely no right or wrong answers and just wanted to seek opinions since that is what forums are for. I am still leaning heavily towards keeping my watch and hopefully maybe adding the BLRO instead one day.
Old 5 August 2021, 02:40 AM   #10
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
This just came in today… I know I’m still in the honeymoon stage but I couldn’t imagine swapping it out for the GMT. Against my Black Daytona C… that might be a little harder.

Congrats and wear that beauty in good health! There's no denying that the AP is a freaking gorgeous work of fine art. I hope you removed those plastic covers though so you can enjoy that watch in all its glory.

The Daytona never really did stir up anything in me. So i guess in this circumstance, the gmt to me is the equivalent of the Daytona to you which is why I'm having such a hard time
Old 5 August 2021, 02:43 AM   #11
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
If your even considering selling the RO then you obviously don't love it that much, so just do it if the BLRO is always on your mind and you have no other way to fund it.

I personally, really like the BLRO and would love one, but wouldn't ever consider selling my RO to fund it.
The RO still has a special place in my heart and i really don't wanna sell it. However i can't justify having so many watches for only 1 wrist hence why I'm considering my options.
Old 5 August 2021, 02:56 AM   #12
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I will give you a BRLO for the RO ;-)
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:59 AM   #13
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

Strange comment.

OP id part with something else in your collection to make way for blro.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
However, with the recent run up of the AP prices, if i were to sell my AP, the profits alone from this sale will cover 2/3 the price of a brand new BLRO at grey prices and i effectively get the watch for cheap. Of course, i lose my AP along the way and i still like the watch very much as it adds a little diversity to my collection.
Risk with selling the RO first and then buying the BLRO: what if you find that you liked the RO better after all? Reversing these transactions would be a very costly exercise. Better be sure...
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #15
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
The RO still has a special place in my heart and i really don't wanna sell it. However i can't justify having so many watches for only 1 wrist hence why I'm considering my options.
That doesn’t make sense though as if you sell the RO and buy the BLRO, surely you’ll have the same amount of watches and wrists that you have now?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:03 AM   #16
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Generally speaking as always, do what makes you happy.

I'd also say generally BLRO is easier to get right now than RO...but then I see you're in Singapore and have to imagine it's impossible vs even more impossible for BLRO vs RO today.

For what it's worth, I found the BLRO to get tiresome very quickly for my eyes. It's fun as a novelty, but RO has been more enduring as enjoyment. But hey, this is the AP sub forum.

Maybe more useful advice, don't wear the RO for 2 weeks. Then put it on again to see how you feel about it. If it feels like love at first sight again, definitely do not part with it. If all passion is gone, move onto the next gal, I mean watch, no, I mean gal. Never part with the watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:03 AM   #17
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Strange comment.

OP id part with something else in your collection to make way for blro.
Very strange comment indeed.

I did consider letting go my yachtmaster but it's my son's birth year watch. All my watches hold some sort of sentimental value to me except the RO. Which is why I'm even considering letting it go in the first place.

I also feel that the current market prices for the 15500st is a little crazy at the moment. By little, i mean extremely
Old 5 August 2021, 03:06 AM   #18
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
That doesn’t make sense though as if you sell the RO and buy the BLRO, surely you’ll have the same amount of watches and wrists that you have now?
What i meant was if i added the BLRO, i feel that will be 1 too many watch in my collection. Hence i should let something go to make way for it.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:06 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very strange comment indeed.

I did consider letting go my yachtmaster but it's my son's birth year watch. All my watches hold some sort of sentimental value to me except the RO. Which is why I'm even considering letting it go in the first place.

I also feel that the current market prices for the 15500st is a little crazy at the moment. By little, i mean extremely
Definitely let the YM go!!! By the time he's old enough to enjoy watches, it will be matrix world anyways and you'll need a NFT Rolex. Just kidding of course, about the selling, not about the NFT matrix virtual world.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:09 AM   #20
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Risk with selling the RO first and then buying the BLRO: what if you find that you liked the RO better after all? Reversing these transactions would be a very costly exercise. Better be sure...
Point taken, the good thing is that if i make the transaction, I'll have abit more cash on hand to invest into my ETFs/investments.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:10 AM   #21
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Definitely let the YM go!!! By the time he's old enough to enjoy watches, it will be matrix world anyways and you'll need a NFT Rolex. Just kidding of course, about the selling, not about the NFT matrix virtual world.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:13 AM   #22
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What i meant was if i added the BLRO, i feel that will be 1 too many watch in my collection. Hence i should let something go to make way for it.
Well I wouldn’t sell a RO for a BLRO myself, but it sounds like your mind is made up and it’s for financial reasons, as you want to cash in on the RO game. Just bare in mind you may not be able to buy again if you regret selling. Personally I’d sell the YM even if it’s a sons birth year.

Coincidentally I have a RO and a BLRO and I once owned a YM (which I never regretted selling) so know all the watches well.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:23 AM   #23
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
You're selling a 30k watch to get a 10k watch.... if that's what you really want to do go for it. The RO is way "more" watch than the Rolex in essentially every way. If a colorful bezel floats your boat its your money. I wouldn't even think about it personally. I'd keep a Sub then sell off Rolex to get AP and PP but if you wish to go the other way that's your call.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:24 AM   #24
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Well I wouldn’t sell a RO for a BLRO myself, but it sounds like your mind is made up and it’s for financial reasons, as you want to cash in on the RO game. Just bare in mind you may not be able to buy again if you regret selling. Personally I’d sell the YM even if it’s a sons birth year.

Coincidentally I have a RO and a BLRO and I once owned a YM (which I never regretted selling) so know all the watches well.
I really like my YM and it has grown alot on me. I have been wearing it a lot lesser admittedly as my collection grows though. Its also not in the best condition as i have been wearing it hard so not sure if it will even fetch a good price if i sell it.

Don't mind me asking but of your BLRO and RO, which watch do you like or wear more? And if you had to let 1 go, which would u let go first?
Old 5 August 2021, 03:32 AM   #25
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I wear my CODE more than I wear BLRO and BLNR if that says anything! However, I will confess I like looking at the BLRO and BLNR in the box for a pop of color to make the team look diverse. However, when reaching to pick something up, it rarely makes it out of the box.

But I know you asked Vivalas because he's much more wise. Ha. Okay, time to log off.
Old 5 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #26
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like my YM and it has grown alot on me. I have been wearing it a lot lesser admittedly as my collection grows though. Its also not in the best condition as i have been wearing it hard so not sure if it will even fetch a good price if i sell it.

Don't mind me asking but of your BLRO and RO, which watch do you like or wear more? And if you had to let 1 go, which would u let go first?
If it wasn’t financially, I’d sell the BLRO without a doubt. Don’t get me wrong I really like it but the RO is on a different level altogether. I’m fortunate enough to have some of the very desirable Rolex watches and the RO would be one of the last to leave my collection. . . . . Unless as I said it’s financial which is what I think your decision is maybe based on. I know I’m repeating myself but the YM is the one to go in my view. You’ll never regret that, but there’s every chance you’ll regret the RO going.
Old 5 August 2021, 04:14 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Having that PP, AP and a BLRO would be a great trio, a sweet TRF trinity, that would be where I would want to land.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 04:42 AM   #28
HMHM
"TRF" Member

If I were in your position I would keep the RO. I always use the analogy of buying watches is like adopting a child. The RO is your own child, the one which has your name on it. You know the full history of the watch, the effort that you took to get the watch and the moments your spent with the watch. The BLRO is like your adopted child. Yes it’s very gifted (read iconic with its blue red bezel), but it’s overpriced and when you look at it at night to admire the beauty of the watch, deep down you know you weren’t the first owner and that will influence your experience. It’s not easy to get the BLRO I understand that. But ultimately if it’s not your from the very first day, it will never feel like it belongs to you.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 04:43 AM   #29
911AP
"TRF" Member

I don't think anyone I know would trade a AP RO for a stainless steel any Rolex. That is the most crazy thing I ever heard. OP keep your AP, move on from the Rolex. They'll come back down eventually.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 05:21 AM   #30
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

No, I would not sell the only RO in a collection to buy a very popular Rolex.

Selling a RO and later regretting it seems to be one of the most common themes on the forum. I would miss the RO more than I'd get joy from another watch.

Have you tried putting the RO away for a month? Do you miss it? Try that with the RO and the YM and see which you miss. I have a nice watch that I don't miss, it was set away for almost a year.

Of course, if you don't feel comfortable wearing the RO anywhere, then it's understandable why you would want to sell it.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote