The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2023, 07:30 AM   #91
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Is the SF Rolex store going to close?

They are desperately trying to get rid of a large batch of Rolex sports models. May discount if they don’t move fast enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 07:32 AM   #92
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Agreed. I think most big cities have had issues since the pandemic. SF is still a great city
I use to live in Chicago but now the suburbs and my reason for leaving was kids but also the crime there.

Even with how bad crime is in Chicago we don’t have a insane homeless population and a feces epidemic.

I haven’t been to SF since 2017 but even then it felt like it was run by the Bums. They overran all the major parks in the area. The minute you get outside of the hotel is tons of homeless everywhere.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 09:08 AM   #93
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
For anyone who thinks it’s ok; go and sit in the park by Metreon across the street from the church and just hang out all day and see all the crazy loony drug addicts freaking out. Note if you parked at 5th and Mission let’s hope your car windows are intact.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 01:31 PM   #94
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I'm surprised this thread has been allowed to live. I remember posting on a thread that got quickly canned regarding a Seattle AD being visible on the news during the 2020 summer of riots.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 02:59 PM   #95
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
a couple of years ago i debated whether or not to bring my nice car to sf. although it didn't get broken into, i received a fix it ticket from the local police for a missing front license plate.
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 03:55 PM   #96
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
a couple of years ago i debated whether or not to bring my nice car to sf. although it didn't get broken into, i received a fix it ticket from the local police for a missing front license plate.
Oh yeah they are a duck about that. But I refused to ruin the look of my car so I'm still chancing it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 05:47 PM   #97
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I've lived and worked in SF (the City, as well as Silicon Valley) combined for the past 23 years. Prior to that, I've lived and worked in a big Asian city (Seoul), in London, England, and in NYC. I even had a short stint in Cleveland, OH of all places. I also grew up and worked briefly in LA.

San Francisco has changed, but the problems they are experiencing are (1) overblown, and (2) no different than any of the other big city I've lived and worked in. It's just that each city has a different flavor of issues and causes.

On (1). Crime in the areas people are focusing on in the press is subject to EXTREME recency bias. The SOMA areas, the areas bordering the Tenderloin, the Mission....these were not originally nice places. Some were worse than others, but these were considered non-desirable places.

What changed was gentrification brought on by the tech bros. When they started moving in, they wanted places to live that matched their salaries. So large areas of SOMA, the Mission, down Market Street, China Basin, Potrero, South City, you name it, they all started sprouting up condos and luxury apartments and office building converted from abandoned warehouses, etc.

That gentrified the area immensely, priced out working class people, and brought in stores like Whole Foods and CVSs and Nordstroms on Market, etc. These were brought in the cater to these tech bros and their money and lifestyle.

Then COVID hit. The free and easy money dried up. And guess what? No one wants to live in the City anymore....let alone in what used to be somewhat sketchy neighborhoods for $1M condos and 1 bedroom, 700 sq ft, apartments that cost $5000 a month.

So what happens when artificial economic dynamics change? Things revert back to what it used to be. And SF used to be a righteously dirty, hard drinking town (to quote a now gone famous celebrity). So it's becoming what it has always been, since 1849.

Only now, you've permanently priced out the residents that used to keep it somewhat real. They are gone, and unless you convert some of these largely abandoned office buildings and other commercial property into affordable, livable spaces for the working class, you won't get even close to what the City was like 10-15 years ago. But of course, affordable housing is personna non grata in the US, so we'll see what happens.

For those complaining about SF, I can say the same thing for large parts of LA, Houston, NYC, London, Seoul, damn...pretty much all of Cleveland, Washington DC, etc. I mean, have you been to Morningside Park just east of Columbia? Have you been there at night?

How about Cleveland, east of downtown, where of all places the Cleveland Clinic is located?

We can go on and on and on, but this whole SF pig sty thing is the pot calling the kettle black. It's a joke.

I would much rather have to deal with the squalor in SF while living near or around some of the most beautiful views in the world, and a stones throw away from some of the best wines in the world, best skiing in the world, the best hiking in the world, the best food in the world, and world renowned national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.

And yes, the economic powerhouse of tech is still here.

Not many cities can offer that combination.

Lol. I worked in tech and lived in SF for 10 years. The city went downhill long before covid hit, but allowing the thugs to take over and having a weak DA in Chesa Boudin and weak mayor like London Breed over the last few years was the last straw.

Comparing Seoul to SF is so laughable. You can wear a RO anywhere in Seoul with short sleeves and no will be trying to rob you. Seoul is also one of the safest places on earth, and virtually no homeless people or petty crime. Everyone leaves their backpacks and laptops unattended at cafes for hours at a time with no worries about theft. You’re telling me you can do that in SF?
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2023, 09:05 PM   #98
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Agreed. I think most big cities have had issues since the pandemic. SF is still a great city

I would argue that the pandemic didn’t create these issues. The people making decisions before, during, and after the pandemic in these cities created the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 11:44 AM   #99
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

I’m amazed Kerns is going to open a Patek boutique in Union Square. Must have been years in the making, before the pandemic laid waste.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 12:06 PM   #100
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnz View Post
I’m amazed Kerns is going to open a Patek boutique in Union Square. Must have been years in the making, before the pandemic laid waste.
Seems it will be a Rolex and Patek boutique.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 12:49 PM   #101
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Everyone leaves their backpacks and laptops unattended at cafes for hours at a time with no worries about theft.
Why would someone leave their backpack and, or, laptop at a cafe for hours at a time ?
After I've finished my coffee I take my stuff with me rather than leave it at the cafe.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 04:23 PM   #102
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
Why would someone leave their backpack and, or, laptop at a cafe for hours at a time ?
After I've finished my coffee I take my stuff with me rather than leave it at the cafe.
I think his point is you can and it won’t get stolen, people forget stuff all the time.

I’m on the east coast and can’t make that claim here, if you left something in a coffee shop it would be gone pretty quick
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 12:47 AM   #103
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

These threads are always amusing but sometimes informative. Name the state / city that doesn't have absolutely horrible places in it.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 12:54 AM   #104
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
These threads are always amusing but sometimes informative. Name the state / city that doesn't have absolutely horrible places in it.
The difference is, the traditionally bad areas now somewhat encompass a lot of the city. Case in point a rolling gun battle on the Embarcadero near Pier 39 (huge tourist area).

The last time I went through it looked like the city had made efforts to clean up King and Embarcadero all the way from 280 to Pier 39, and you can pick up the trash and get rid of the tents and you end up with Wild West shootouts anyway…. It’s not good.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 06:06 AM   #105
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
The difference is, the traditionally bad areas now somewhat encompass a lot of the city. Case in point a rolling gun battle on the Embarcadero near Pier 39 (huge tourist area).

The last time I went through it looked like the city had made efforts to clean up King and Embarcadero all the way from 280 to Pier 39, and you can pick up the trash and get rid of the tents and you end up with Wild West shootouts anyway…. It’s not good.
It is sad to see what is happening to so many places in the US.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 06:36 AM   #106
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I've lived and worked in SF (the City, as well as Silicon Valley) combined for the past 23 years. Prior to that, I've lived and worked in a big Asian city (Seoul), in London, England, and in NYC. I even had a short stint in Cleveland, OH of all places. I also grew up and worked briefly in LA.

San Francisco has changed, but the problems they are experiencing are (1) overblown, and (2) no different than any of the other big city I've lived and worked in. It's just that each city has a different flavor of issues and causes.

On (1). Crime in the areas people are focusing on in the press is subject to EXTREME recency bias. The SOMA areas, the areas bordering the Tenderloin, the Mission....these were not originally nice places. Some were worse than others, but these were considered non-desirable places.

What changed was gentrification brought on by the tech bros. When they started moving in, they wanted places to live that matched their salaries. So large areas of SOMA, the Mission, down Market Street, China Basin, Potrero, South City, you name it, they all started sprouting up condos and luxury apartments and office building converted from abandoned warehouses, etc.

That gentrified the area immensely, priced out working class people, and brought in stores like Whole Foods and CVSs and Nordstroms on Market, etc. These were brought in the cater to these tech bros and their money and lifestyle.

Then COVID hit. The free and easy money dried up. And guess what? No one wants to live in the City anymore....let alone in what used to be somewhat sketchy neighborhoods for $1M condos and 1 bedroom, 700 sq ft, apartments that cost $5000 a month.

So what happens when artificial economic dynamics change? Things revert back to what it used to be. And SF used to be a righteously dirty, hard drinking town (to quote a now gone famous celebrity). So it's becoming what it has always been, since 1849.

Only now, you've permanently priced out the residents that used to keep it somewhat real. They are gone, and unless you convert some of these largely abandoned office buildings and other commercial property into affordable, livable spaces for the working class, you won't get even close to what the City was like 10-15 years ago. But of course, affordable housing is personna non grata in the US, so we'll see what happens.

For those complaining about SF, I can say the same thing for large parts of LA, Houston, NYC, London, Seoul, damn...pretty much all of Cleveland, Washington DC, etc. I mean, have you been to Morningside Park just east of Columbia? Have you been there at night?

How about Cleveland, east of downtown, where of all places the Cleveland Clinic is located?

We can go on and on and on, but this whole SF pig sty thing is the pot calling the kettle black. It's a joke.

I would much rather have to deal with the squalor in SF while living near or around some of the most beautiful views in the world, and a stones throw away from some of the best wines in the world, best skiing in the world, the best hiking in the world, the best food in the world, and world renowned national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.

And yes, the economic powerhouse of tech is still here.

Not many cities can offer that combination.
Hey dude, Cleveland Rocks.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 07:49 AM   #107
dannyp
Banned

Not to get too political, but I see CA and FL leading the way (from polar opposite ends of the political spectrum) in one of the great societal experiments of our generation: Voting as though actions have no consequences. It will be interesting to see which set of decisions catches up with the population that enabled them first.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote