The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 14 August 2014, 12:52 AM   #31
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Thanks Bob for clearing this up.
X 2 . . . .

Thanks Bob

But there was no communication at all . . . . : lol:
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 12:57 AM   #32
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Looks like an open-and-shut case!
Ha, a poorly opened and shut case
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 01:00 AM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 01:00 AM   #34
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Conclusion

- Watches create emotions -

To anyone that felt this thread was abusive or (I read the term by someone) mudslinging, that was never my intention. I thought or think the forum is the place for these things. People should be able to disagree without being disagreeable, and walk away friends.

It was put up in good faith, and I did my best to keep it tempered - raising I think a couple of legitimate issues, one which I accept will likely forever remain a mystery. I'm OK with that.

I hope no one was hurt or offended by the post - this is a small group which I think enjoy and rely on each other. Sometimes these threads can take on a life of their own and veer off..I hope that doesn't happen to this one - like I said earlier it's just a watch.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.I look forward to getting my Explorer back so I can enjoy it again.

Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 01:04 AM   #35
Clay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post

To anyone that felt this thread was abusive or (I read the term by someone) mudslinging, that was never my intention. I thought or think the forum is the place for these things. People should be able to disagree without being disagreeable, and walk away friends.

It was put up in good faith, and I did my best to keep it tempered - raising I think a couple of legitimate issues, one which I accept will likely forever remain a mystery. I'm OK with that.

I hope no one was hurt or offended by the post - this is a small group which I think enjoy and rely on each other. Sometimes these threads can take on a life of their own and veer off..I hope that doesn't happen to this one - like I said earlier it's just a watch.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.I look forward to getting my Explorer back so I can enjoy it again.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 01:13 AM   #36
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Looks like an open-and-shut case!
Did you mean a fell off case?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 01:31 AM   #37
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I have been offered email copies to show that the original claim of "couple of weeks" is not accurate and that the volume and content of these emails will show that communication had been sound and valid on the part of Bob/Barbara.

I have not taken up this offer since it will draw me/us into a matter not concerning us.

We would potentially have needed to have censure the OP for being "loose with the facts" if the information proved otherwise.

Since the thread has not got out of control we can reasonable assume that matters will be resolved amicably.

Goods and services are being supplied with a cost. The customer and service provider can resolve this easily enough without forum intervention.
Old 24 October 2014, 01:16 AM   #38
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

In light of recent events, this thread has now been opened back up.

I guess there's belief that it in fact had merit
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 24 October 2014, 01:31 AM   #39
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
In light of recent events, this thread has now been opened back up.

I guess there's belief that it in fact had merit
Based on the the thread and post yesterday (which has since been closed/moved or deleted) by Ridley's employee Barbara and in conjunction with conversations I've had with others regarding incidents involving repairs with Bob Ridley, it is fair to say that your post here was very valid and with merit. You were not the first to have concerns, problems or issues regarding watch repairs at Watches International.

Personally, I would never step anywhere near his shop for a repair. It is too bad that you had issues with Watches International and then had to endure the disingenuous responses in this thread from both Barbara, Ridley and others.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 01:43 AM   #40
bobbipiazza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbipiazza View Post
......This particular instance is different. In my opinion, the inferences of this post exceed what Forum members would generally consider reasonable, were the full facts presented. In the interests of "open and honest exchange", please contact me if anyone has remaining concerns.

Barbara Piazza
Watchmakers
I made the above comment on behalf of Watchmakers International. The company negotiates to resolve any private service issues, but quashes those which appear in public. I'm no longer under contract with WI, and my personal retraction follows:

My personal opinion and experience is that, "were the full facts presented", Seabreeze would find significant cause for justification of his concerns. I apologise for my intentional part in disparaging his statements so publicly.
bobbipiazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 03:35 AM   #41
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

On the post in the vintage section is mentionned that it moved...
Where did it go?

I believe that a forum is thete for all it's members and sharing info is important even if it concerns well known people...
No censurship should exist on this kind of topics as long as they are not abusive or agressive
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 04:23 AM   #42
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyvm View Post
On the post in the vintage section is mentionned that it moved...
Where did it go?

I believe that a forum is thete for all it's members and sharing info is important even if it concerns well known people...
No censurship should exist on this kind of topics as long as they are not abusive or agressive

I believe that post has actually been taken down even though it says moved. That was confirmed by moderator.

I think ( I hope) this one was reinstated because or to keep the discussion just about watches not Ipersonalities
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 24 October 2014, 04:45 AM   #43
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe that post has actually been taken down even though it says moved. That was confirmed by moderator.

I think ( I hope) this one was reinstated because or to keep the discussion just about watches not Ipersonalities
Indeed.

It is in the interest of the members to know about general integrity, quality control, efficiency and the likes of a seller or service provider.

WI charge a premium price for their services.

Members are welcome to ask valid questions such as who specifically is servicing their vintage watch or modern watches, does the seller/repairer have adequate business insurance etc.

Allegations carry a burden of evidence. Failure to provide will see the swift death of this thread and potential censure of the member involved.

Serious and sober discussion about watch related matters regarding this service provider are welcome as it serves the interest of our community.
Old 24 October 2014, 07:20 PM   #44
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

i believe that if there is a risk factor for members trusting their watches to someone, they are to be informed to the maximum

this information should be as objective as possible and brought with the respect the other partie deserves ( or doesn't deserve when there is clear evidence...)

difficult discussions but i thought there was something as freedom of speech in the US ?
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 08:32 PM   #45
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
difficult discussions but i thought there was something as freedom of speech in the US ?
Freedom of speech on this site does not count as this site is not owned by any USA citizen. It is owned by someone outside the USA and can place any rules he wishes on this site. If you do not like it, don't use the site. Otherwise you will need to obey and follow the rules of this site and whoever owns and whoever moderates this site, they have the right to remove any threads or posts as they please according to the rules of this site.

johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 01:32 AM   #46
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i believe that if there is a risk factor for members trusting their watches to someone, they are to be informed to the maximum

this information should be as objective as possible and brought with the respect the other partie deserves ( or doesn't deserve when there is clear evidence...)

Just remember we are also subject to WelshoEuroOz type restrictions.

'Specially, the OZ.

I didn't want my post to stifle commentary, certainly not.

If this repairer is undeserving of the reputation that he holds (held) then members are welcome to "chip in" with their views, providing that they do not splash the canvas with mud arbitrarily.
Old 25 October 2014, 03:11 AM   #47
Tim Brennan

I will not sling mud or make false accusations. That being said, I highly recommend staying tuned to this thread before sending a watch to Watchmakers International for repair.
I recently received my watch back from W.I. and there is an issue. I informed them of the issue and was told that I could return my watch and that it would be corrected. In the interim between communicating with W.I. and actually mailing my watch back to them, I have come in to possession of some most troubling information that, if found to be accurate and honest, will be even more distressing.
As a member of this forum since 2009, I can assure all that my intention is to propagate good will and useful information to all who are passionate about our mutual interest in fine timepieces.
Again, stay tuned as I will faithfully report my experience on this thread.
Tim Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 03:25 AM   #48
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
considering this thread and the one that was shut down (which i read) and a personal account relayed to me, i believe concern is certainly warranted.

I hope Bob finds his way through his troubles and i hope all with watches in his care are taken care of to the best of his ability.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 06:38 AM   #49
bobbipiazza
"TRF" Member

I came on like a screaming banshee in my Wednesday post, which did violate the spirit of this congenial forum. I apologise. As an acceptable alternative, does anyone have suggestions as to guidelines for appropriate whistle blowing?
bobbipiazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 06:46 AM   #50
BeachesBeernBBQ
"TRF" Member

It looks to me like Larry and Ken are moderating at this time and maybe can chime in to your question@Barbara.
BeachesBeernBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 09:40 AM   #51
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

One thing that may be worth mentioning since I started this thread is

It might be in general a good idea some info on these physical practices. All of them not just WI.

It shouldn't matter to someone's skill set with that they are working at home all behind vaulted glass
But I think people engaging in these services have a right to know which it is

I remember as a very young man always being so fearful of having the prongs on my wife's ring tightened because I was always afraid someone would swap out the diamond when I wasn't looking.

I laugh when I read a lot of guys in here mentioning that the watch is off for a spa treatment. It's good food for the mind and probably exists at some businesses but I think it's useful if we are spending money to know which ones really have it and which ones don't.
Also a big one would be subcontractors or employees

When you go for an operation with respect to Dr. you don't really want the resident or intern cutting into you but I guess it happens a lot

And lastly the big one which I feel personally affected by is. If things get damaged in the process of repair to these places cover up the damage they did

I feel I'm at a disadvantage because I am a novice not an expert but it's not an exaggeration to say that somewhere in the world someone walking around with a Rolex case and a Seiko movement inside I'm willing to bet

These I are not accusations against anyone just generalizations about the repair industry.

And my thought is are there some best practices that can evolve from this similar to the watch out section and other things that we do to protect each other's interests

I also can't help but think that this makes a strong case for these authorized Rolex service centers although I'm certain to be flamed for that comment because they're so expensive
And draconian
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 25 October 2014, 11:20 AM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
One thing that may be worth mentioning since I started this thread is....

I also can't help but think that this makes a strong case for these authorized Rolex service centers although I'm certain to be flamed for that comment because they're so expensive
And draconian
Unfortunately I have on a couple of occasions, had terrible service from RSC, sometimes briging back the watch can remedy a bad service but sometimes the watch has been affected / altered cosmetically and RSC will decline or be unable to correct it. Ie what has been polished can not be unpolished and what has been replaced, especially vintage, often can not be unreplaced.

Point is just to say, humans make mistakes. If they are working out of their home or out of RSC. If they care they take time to do it right but in the end...
You know what they say.

If you want it done right...
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 06:28 AM   #53
Bomilcar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
This is all very sad to read. I have sent all of my vintage watches to WI over the past couple of years based upon the high praise on TRF. They have been returned in fine shape as far as I can determine, all be it slowly. I did have to return my Explorer for further timing adjustment but that was done in short order and it is now running +3.
I guess time will tell.

DRSD, Red Sub, Orange Hand Explorer, Early GMT, Deep Sea.
Bomilcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 06:33 AM   #54
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Having a hard time seeing this one end well
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2014, 12:44 PM   #55
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I think this thread or some sort of thread should be noted in other areas of TRF. I personally think more people browse the standard rolex and vintage rolex sections rather than come to the who's/who section. While it seems some facts still have to be sorted out, people can at least proceed with caution prior to sending there watches in.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 02:55 AM   #56
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobberboy View Post
I think this thread or some sort of thread should be noted in other areas of TRF. I personally think more people browse the standard rolex and vintage rolex sections rather than come to the who's/who section. While it seems some facts still have to be sorted out, people can at least proceed with caution prior to sending there watches in.

I agree I think it is important timportant thread and I'm glad it was reinstated. But it was buried
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 30 October 2014, 06:43 AM   #57
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I am not pointing a finger at any company. I am just making an observation based on what I have perceived after reading various threads dealing with this subject.

If there is a lack of communication, this can be a sign of a possible problem starting. It appears as communication fails the business is getting busy enough that it is starting in the gray area between good service and being overbooked. It seems it becomes harder to communicate if you are overbooked.

Vanessa has great communication on the forum. She has answered questions for me.

When I had my Seadweller serviced by Dalton, he called me to let me know what my watch needed done to it and he texted me to let me know what was going on. Great service! jmho
Old 30 October 2014, 06:10 PM   #58
MonBK
Banned

Bump
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 06:35 PM   #59
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Is there a list of CURRENTLY highly recommended service people? I know about Vanessa and Rik; there must be others. I mean a sticky thread. I did not notice one.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 06:47 PM   #60
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Well, after reading all this, I would still send my watches there......

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote