The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 27 January 2016, 05:42 AM   #31
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
It seems like some people just don't understand that a reseller needs to buy it right in order to sell it and make a profit. I'm not a reseller - I do occasionally flip a watch and try to minimize the loss, but I've also bought many a used watch from both resellers and first parties. There's nothing wrong with making a profit, that's how business works. I blame reality TeeVee for making everyone think that they're an expert negotiator.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 05:44 AM   #32
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say. It isn't that I am smarter than everyone else but I can get a feel for opportunities. Please let me know if you can beat these stats:

NIB Submariner 116610LN with my name on the card $5,900 in 2015
NIB Submariner 116610LV with my name on the card $7,000 in 2016

I came in low, the buyer needed to sell, I got a good deal and the seller got the money. Done. This is basic economics and it is what the world is made of.
It's not ridiculous thing to say. Just because you're a lowballer and came across someone was desperate to sell you at those prices doesn't mean it wasn't lowballing or insulting. "get a feel for opportunities" is another way of saying you're a lowballer. You had two successful lowball transactions, which you are proud of, as attested by your challenge to "beat [those] stats". Congrats to you. You just don't like the label.

If a retail store will offer $5400 (currently posted on bobswatches) for his watch, wouldn't the OP have to be stupid to accept less than that? Answer that question.
asmfa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 05:45 AM   #33
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

If something is up for sale, you will get a low ball offer. If you don't like it, you say no, that is it, end of discussion. There is no need to get emotional or annoyed, it is merely a fact of life.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 05:49 AM   #34
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

If a buyer offers me $1,500 below my asking price and I'm not willing to accept it, my only question to him would be to ask if is he a serious buyer at that price. If he says yes I'd tell him if I decide to go that low I will let him know. But I've learned something from his offer and the experience dealing with him.

TBH, with a DJ/DJII in particular I'd almost expect low ball offers. I have to think resale is softer on these than say a Sub, GMT, or Daytona. And because there are more dial choices and other options it is not unreasonable yours may not be the prospect's first choice or preference but if they can get a screaming deal on it they would buy it.

It's just business.
Old 27 January 2016, 05:52 AM   #35
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmfa5 View Post
"get a feel for opportunities" is another way of saying you're a lowballer. You just don't like the label.

If a retail store will offer $5400 (currently posted on bobswatches) for his watch, wouldn't the OP have to be stupid to accept less than that? Answer that question.
I don't care about the label - Before I got into the E-commerce consulting field I was a procurement analyst. I am trained to low ball people and do a very good job at it. If someone takes offense to it, oh well.

Also, don't call anyone trying to sell a watch stupid. It is a sale and nothing more, relax. As far as taking an offer from Bob's watches, they aren't a retailer, they are a wholesale buyer and reseller. Please understand the difference. The OP at that point could have gone with any other wholesale buyer and gotten about the same. He clearly wasn't desperate to sell but that isn't always the case and that is where I come in.

I am also very astute and I will walk away from this thread before it turns personal. I'll be sure to never make an offer on any item you may post up for sale.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:04 AM   #36
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

I started in this business in 2008 during the bank crisis... the lowball offers were ridiculous and were typically followed up with something like... "I know you need this money now"
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 06:13 AM   #37
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't care about the label - Before I got into the E-commerce consulting field I was a procurement analyst. I am trained to low ball people and do a very good job at it. If someone takes offense to it, oh well.

Also, don't call anyone trying to sell a watch stupid. It is a sale and nothing more, relax. As far as taking an offer from Bob's watches, they aren't a retailer, they are a wholesale buyer and reseller. Please understand the difference. The OP at that point could have gone with anyone he wanted and gotten about the same. He clearly wasn't desperate but that isn't always the case.

I am also very astute and I will walk away from this thread before it turns personal. I'll be sure to never make an offer on any item you may post up for sale.

Blah blah blah. YOU dont understand the difference. I already called them a reseller. They ARE, in fact, a RETAILER. A retailer by definition is a business that sells directly to individuals, which they do. They buy watches and any Joe Blow individual can buy directly from them. But what do I know right, Mr. "This is basic economics and it is what the world is made of"?

Golf clap for you being a procurement analyst in the past. The truth comes out as to why it doesn't bother you. You lowballed others for a living!

Can you please stop being political and answer the question. Wouldn't he have to be stupid to sell it below what a store will offer? What other conclusion can you come up to describe anyone accepting prices are below what bobswatches are willing to pay?
Old 27 January 2016, 06:18 AM   #38
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Blah blah blah. YOU dont understand the difference. I already called them a reseller. They ARE, in fact, a RETAILER. A retailer by definition is a business that sells directly to individuals, which they do. They buy watches and any Joe Blow individual can buy directly from them. But what do I know right, Mr. "This is basic economics and it is what the world is made of"?

Golf clap for you being a procurement analyst in the past. The truth comes out as to why it doesn't bother you. You lowballed others for a living!

Can you please stop being political and answer the question. Wouldn't he have to be stupid to sell it below what a store will offer? What other conclusion can you come up to describe anyone accepting prices are below what bobswatches are willing to pay?
Tone it down. No need to get hostile.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:19 AM   #39
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It is all about risk. There is less risk buying from a known retailer like Bob's. Buying from an individual always carries more risk so the risk is priced into the offer.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 06:28 AM   #40
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
It is all about risk. There is less risk buying from a known retailer like Bob's. Buying from an individual always carries more risk so the risk is priced into the offer.
Sigh. You don't understand it. I will use a different example.

Seller takes his car to Carmax and they offer $8,000.

Seller is advertising his/her car for $10,000.

buyer sees the ad and offers for $7000.

Individual goes ahead and sells the car to the buyer for $7000.

Conclusion of Seller = ????????????????

People are offering him less than what bobswatches' price to buy his 116334.

Why would anyone waste OP's time of offering less? Hoping he doesn't know bobswatches is out there? If you are hoping he doesn't know then you are trying to benefit from one's ignorance. If you are that person you are an opportunist.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:29 AM   #41
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Tone it down. No need to get hostile.
I didn't think I was but I acknowledge and respect your warning.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:33 AM   #42
cdmorenot

Carmax

I'd sell locally because the nearest Carmax is 65 miles away.

To me, time and convenience is worth plenty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carmax.jpg (178.7 KB, 302 views)
Old 27 January 2016, 06:33 AM   #43
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
It think that the price was fair. I know the DJ2 has taken a hit as of late in anticipation of them being downsized.

But I think John hit the nail on the head with the risk based price comment. I bought my blue stick dj2 a few months ago from an AD. Not sure what I paid because it was a 2 watch for 4 watch trade. But when I did he math it was about 35% off of all of the 4 I got based on what my 2 were worth.

I think a brick and mortar or a trusted seller will always get a higher price than an individual. Just perceived as a riskier transaction with a individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 06:35 AM   #44
cdmorenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
It is all about risk.
Bingo.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:40 AM   #45
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd sell locally because the nearest Carmax is 65 miles away.

To me, time and convenience is worth plenty.
Pretty weak attempt to discredit my analogy I used to illustrate why the OP shouldn't accept any offers below what bobswatches will buy his watch for, unless the lowballer is hoping they're dealing with an ignorant person.

You still can't answer what conclusion can one come up with to describe someone selling their items for lower than a business would pay for his watch.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:43 AM   #46
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bingo.

So there you have it. Two individuals who think the OP should sell his watch to individuals for LESS than what bobswatches will pay for his piece. I guess this is how the economy works in their eyes.
Old 27 January 2016, 06:52 AM   #47
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
A message to you lowballers........

Quote:
So there you have it. Two individuals who think the OP should sell his watch to individuals for LESS than what bobswatches will pay for his piece. I guess this is how the economy works in their eyes.

Have you ever used said company? My understanding is their pricing on the net is not fixed in stone by any means and that you get the real price they will pay after you send it in and they "inspect it".

Also, he started at 6800 if I remember correctly and said he received lowballs of 1500-2000. Doesn't 1500 put it into bw territory?

It did not sell so it was overpriced for the current market. Not complicated.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 07:21 AM   #48
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I've had people lowball me on different stuff. Unfortunately, you just have to deal with it. Craiglist is the worst!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 07:39 AM   #49
Bo-Dacious
"TRF" Member

IBL

Your not being forced to sell them anything under what your asking.
Bo-Dacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 07:45 AM   #50
ReMember
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you were truly getting $1,500-$2,000 below your asking price of $6,300 I would post the lowballer's SN and their offer to publicly shame them (assuming its not against forum rules), because that's just plain ridiculous. Everyone thinks they're smarter than everyone else and even though these guys may be trying to "feel" you out I don't blame you taking it as an insult to your intelligence.
Publicly shame them? WOW, I think owning a Rolex is starting to get into some people's head.
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 08:00 AM   #51
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMember View Post
Publicly shame them? WOW, I think owning a Rolex is starting to get into some people's head.

Look, there's already forums (buyer's/seller's who's who/watchout!) for a list of people to deal with and especially those to not deal with. Either you praise or you shame. Hard to understand?
Old 27 January 2016, 08:03 AM   #52
asmfa5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Have you ever used said company? My understanding is their pricing on the net is not fixed in stone by any means and that you get the real price they will pay after you send it in and they "inspect it".

Also, he started at 6800 if I remember correctly and said he received lowballs of 1500-2000. Doesn't 1500 put it into bw territory?

It did not sell so it was overpriced for the current market. Not complicated.

My brother sent in his sub with everything (all boxes, papers, hang tags, bezel cover, etc). It had a noticeable scratch on two links and the clasp, which can easily be polished. Received price as advertised.
Old 27 January 2016, 08:03 AM   #53
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Maybe I'll just keep my watches...less frustrating
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 08:29 AM   #54
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
When it is your turn to sell a watch on the forum I can only hope you get lots of lowball, annoying offers.
Ok

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 08:37 AM   #55
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
The point is, don't take low offers personally. Just say no and move on.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 08:40 AM   #56
dera
"TRF" Member

If you want lowball offers, send a message to any of the big sellers here.
Be insulted because of an offer? Yhgtbsm.
Dj2 fluted for 6xxxUSD second hand? Why not buy new from AD and save money...
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 10:20 AM   #57
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I can understand the emotions of the OP, it's natural to feel this way.

Someone's gone on about how Bobwatch will buy it for a price very close to your final asking price.

Sell it to him then re-visit this thread and let others know what the true trade value was.
Old 27 January 2016, 10:22 AM   #58
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Recently had a DJII on the market for sale. Eventually withdrew it from sale. The lowball offers at first were amusing but then became annoying. I mean offering me between $1,500 and $2,000 below my asking price, which was hugely discounted already. I guess when you are a serious watch enthusiast, these things are annoying.

So a message for you lowballers..........When it is your turn to sell a watch on the forum I can only hope you get lots of lowball, annoying offers.
Well you did say "keep those offers coming" back on August 24.

You also withdrew it on September 4. Was that for the same reason?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 10:24 AM   #59
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Yawn...not very surprised that anyone wants to buy low. Those offers happen all the time. It's your prerogative to not go ahead with the deal or to even reference In your listing that your price is firm; however, it's not real nice to put others down because of their offers.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2016, 10:49 AM   #60
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
OP, I loath lowballers too

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote