The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 January 2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Code 1159

I have seen these brand new, the 3 hander, for 18 percent off MSRP and mid 20 percent off lightly used with no negotiation.

I can infer why. But I don't need to. What I want to know is are you buying at 20k or passing for something else?

I appreciate the thoughts.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:15 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I have seen these brand new, the 3 hander, for 18 percent off MSRP and mid 20 percent off lightly used with no negotiation.

I can infer why. But I don't need to. What I want to know is are you buying at 20k or passing for something else?

Hey hey hey. Haven’t seen u in a while. HNY
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Hey hey hey. Haven’t seen u in a while. HNY
Thanks. Work, life, no time for play got a few days off until I pound the pavement once more.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I am passing because for that money I would prefer a journey CS, Patek 5296, VC 1921, Lange 1815 up/down the list goes on.

If I were to buy one it would only be to gain favor with a boutique which cannot be done via secondary.

I would PM Jin if you have not already. He is the only person I know who has been living with one for a few months and may be able to answer and questions.
Old 1 January 2020, 09:32 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good use of the word infer. As to the code I like the looks of them but honestly if I were going to spend the money on an AP it would be on an RO.

Quote:

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
My general opinion after several months of ownership is there isn't any watch quite like it. I enjoy it immensely despite it competing with my 5170P for wrist time. It has a wrist profile and a casual but dressy presence that is quite unique.

Would I pay full retail for it with no expectations of other cool stuff? Probably not. However I think the watch is pretty good for the money at $20k. I also happened to get the blue dial one which seems to be keep value better than all the others.

I may get blasted for this - I owned the FPJ Chronometre Bleu for a brief time and got bored of it relatively quickly (it is also a PITA to wind). While the dial is better on the CB and the movement is gorgeous; the Code wins for in in all other categories (the code movement is very nice too).

At 41mm it has a good presence but the short lugs may it wear more like a 40mm. It is gorgeous.

Quote:

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 10:35 AM   #7
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

I tried at the NYC boutique several months ago. The chrono is an absolutely stunning piece with a dark blue dial that really draws you in.

But it wasn’t enough to draw out my wallet at $42k list, even if discounted 20%.

I did sincerely enjoy it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FHFinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Wow...that strap...now I want to get that strap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHFinster View Post
I tried at the NYC boutique several months ago. The chrono is an absolutely stunning piece with a dark blue dial that really draws you in.

But it wasn’t enough to draw out my wallet at $42k list, even if discounted 20%.

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 01:07 PM   #9
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Code 1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

The strap was..... reeeediculous!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 January 2020, 04:14 PM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The strap was..... reeeediculous!!!!

Strap is awesome is that custom ?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 04:53 PM   #11
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Strap is awesome is that custom ?

It’s an AP OEM strap. Think they’re Kevlar straps from what I’ve been told.

Straps will play a big part in 2020 for the CODE
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:12 PM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

Nice, gotta ask about it. I like the code in white gold with black dial....
Old 1 January 2020, 07:59 PM   #13
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Looks really great on the strap - perfect match to the case. Sporty yet elegant.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 11:46 PM   #14
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

I don’t like being negative, and I love the watch, but I really dislike the name and the marketing play on it.

They could have just called it the 1159 and quietly circulated the origin. It’s a big part of their sales pitch at the boutique and a bit of a turn off for me.

Old 2 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #15
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

Is this a Kevlar strap? It looks really cool on that strap.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 01:41 AM   #16
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

The kevlar strap actually transforms the watch and feels great on the wrist. Had the chance to wear it for a short while and really loved it. I have one other purchase planned prior to scooping up a code.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #17
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

The chrono is actually a very nice looking piece. Haven't been a fan of the other 1159 models. The case looks rather large lying next to the BLNR, does it wear larger than the Rolex?
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:37 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

That strap looks nice but the strap was not the issue for me.
Old 2 January 2020, 04:15 AM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That strap looks nice but the strap was not the issue for me.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:40 AM   #20
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
I like 1159's. It's a shame they got such a poor reception at release - but no matter AP did, people would inevitably be disappointed because it wasn't a Royal Oak. But I recall that the RO got poor reviews initially as well... time will tell. AP needs more variety in their portfolio.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #21
FHFinster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
The chrono is actually a very nice looking piece. Haven't been a fan of the other 1159 models. The case looks rather large lying next to the BLNR, does it wear larger than the Rolex?

The angle of the pic seems to highlight the difference in size. Yet I didn’t feel it was big at all. If anything it wore more comfortably than the GMT.

A stunning piece well worth a little time at the boutique to try on.

Old 2 January 2020, 06:56 AM   #22
Henlo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchview View Post
I like 1159's. It's a shame they got such a poor reception at release - but no matter AP did, people would inevitably be disappointed because it wasn't a Royal Oak. But I recall that the RO got poor reviews initially as well... time will tell. AP needs more variety in their portfolio.
I agree with you that AP needs more variety in their portfolio.
Situation when RO got poor reviews was totally different though.

RO was the first of its kind back in its days when people only really considered pm watches. In addition high end finishing in steel was totally new as well as the design language of the RO but the dial design was/is without a doubt exceptional. Of course people had to get used to this.

On the other hand the Code does not feature a never seen before design language nor is it revolutionary in manufacturing aspects.
Henlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Crappy dials and crappy name are my only qualms. They can fix the dial. The name is crap and always will be. The case appears quite nice and the movements too.
Old 22 January 2020, 01:48 AM   #24
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

These are going on me, yet to see one in person.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:55 AM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
These are going on me, yet to see one in person.
You should really try them on person. like others have said. is this a watch I would buy without the promised of getting other cool stuff in the future but it definitely is way nicer in person.
Old 22 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Nice looking watch!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:09 AM   #27
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
I tried a few on last year. All were objectively beautiful and well made watches. However, none sang to me in the slightest or stirred me in any way. The Code could have been made by any leading manufacturer, and that manufacturer would have been pilloried for producing something so banal. In fairness to the Code, I've heard many say the same about the Aquanaut.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #28
frommer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Pictures don't do the justice for Code1159
frommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #29
Rskelley75
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love mine after ditching the alligator for the Kevlar. Try it on before forming an opinion.

Rskelley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:32 AM   #30
thase13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

It is an AP OEM strap but it is not Kevlar, it's a 22/18mm black (BR.403.821.002CA) or blue (BR.403.838.027CA) rubber strap with a woven effect, black leather lining, and color matched stitching. The strap comes in three sizes: XS, STD, and L. STD is 115/70 mm.

I'm one of those odd people who went into my local AP Boutique specifically seeking out the Code 11.59. I went in with a fair amount of skepticism and was pleasantly surprised by how much the watch resonated with me on multiple levels once it was on my wrist. I very much agree with those who have said that the 41mm wears more like a 39/40mm watch due to the relatively short skeleton lugs. In fact, I was even more surprised that given the case thickness of 12.6mm it didn't feel or wear like a thick and heavy watch either.

The first thing that really caught my eye was the double-curved sapphire crystal. YMMV, but I really found it to be a visually stunning and pleasing optical effect and, while I'm not wholeheartedly behind the claims that it adds any anti-glare assistance, there's no question that it is quite fetching. I specifically went in to examine the chronograph in white gold with black dial. I found this model most interesting due to the use of the use of AP's 4401 calibre movement. I've been told that AP had at one time used this movement before on an ultra high-end, one-off, timepiece but that this is the first time it was used in a more mainstream commercial watch line. I had also read that AP will slowly begin to migrate this movement into their other lines at some point in the future. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. The large square black alligator strap with the 18k white gold, pin buckle does dress up the watch considerably however the aforementioned rubber strap with the 18k white gold, pin buckle, allows you to dress the watch down for a more casual look. There is also an option to go with an 18k, white gold, deployant, 3-blade buckle if that is your preference.

So, in the Code 11.59 chronograph I have an "A" designation (first generation) watch commercially introducing a new in-house developed 4401 calibre movement for the first time, with an arguably bad name (I'm giving the dial a pass because I quite like the look). I'm aware that the early response to the Code 11.59 has been mixed with many loud and vocal detractors. I do know that now that I've added it to my rotation that I've become more smitten with it and I enjoy wearing and looking at it very much. I don't have the typical Royal Oak biases, so the appropriation of the octagonal shape for the mid-case design doesn't offend me as much as it might a purist. All in all, I think that the case is extremely well crafted and perception changing. I can see how some might want stainless steel, but I'm quite happy with the case options and the fact that precious metals are exclusively employed. Personally, I'm not looking to use the Code 11.59 as a gateway into the Royal Oak line. The Code 11.59 appealed to me purely based on it's own merits, and if it can do that to a dyed-in-the wool Patek guy like me, maybe the more hardcore AP community will eventually come around and give it a little love and respect.
thase13 is offline   Reply With Quote