The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 February 2020, 03:49 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
15300 Blue Dial Pricing

Hello...

I am curious what the community's thoughts are on pricing for a 15300. I've been scouring around every forum, marketplace, dealer, etc seeing what's out there as this model genuinely seems to hit the sweet spot for me at 39mm and I just really like the AP at the 12 o'clock marker.

Prices seem to be around $26k for "good" (i.e., definitely worn and enjoyed) without box/papers, to $35k for excellent condition with box/papers.

I haven't followed this watch over a long period of time, but I'd guess it has went up quite a bit over the past two years, much like every RO. These are getting extremely hard to find, particularly with box/papers and excellent condition.

I am not at all saying I am comfortable at the high end of this range, but curious what the experts think. If you were after this watch, what price makes you comfortable assuming box/papers and truly excellent condition?

Always appreciate the input!
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Nauti
"TRF" Member

I have recently picked up a peachy 15300 blue with papers and bits what seems apparent is prices have firmed up I think it has something to do with the RO achieving legend status and being seen as equal in history and quality to the 5711 and currently 1/2 the price of a 5711 which is driving prices upward....as to your question the best ones seem to be £22-25k GBP so $29- $33k....currently.

The 15300 39mm is a fabulous watch and ticks so many boxes...buy and enjoy.
Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:05 PM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

It has gone up a lot lately. I almost sold mine last summer, glad I didn't. But I still do not find myself wearing it often enough. If someone offered me 35k for it tomorrow, I may have to think about it. I have not seen them that high. But I would have a really hard time parting with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:28 AM   #4
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
I picked up a white dial 15300 in October 2019 and the dealer I got mine from mentioned that the blue dial carries a hefty premium due to interest and scarcity. He said blue dials are easily in the $30k range which seems consistent with what you’ve been seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J to the Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:46 AM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by J to the Z View Post
I picked up a white dial 15300 in October 2019 and the dealer I got mine from mentioned that the blue dial carries a hefty premium due to interest and scarcity. He said blue dials are easily in the $30k range which seems consistent with what you’ve been seeing.

Most definitely...I'd say $30k to $35k and the nicer examples are definitely testing the upper end of the range.

It is impossible to see where this goes, but it seems within reason that this could approach premiums similar to the Jumbo. I know the Jumbo is thinner and many would say a "cleaner" dial. However, I get stuck on the Jumbo not only because of the additional premium (and they're still making more), but I personally am a big fan of the sweeping seconds hand. To me, it just makes the watch more "alive".
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:15 AM   #6
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Most definitely...I'd say $30k to $35k and the nicer examples are definitely testing the upper end of the range.

It is impossible to see where this goes, but it seems within reason that this could approach premiums similar to the Jumbo. I know the Jumbo is thinner and many would say a "cleaner" dial. However, I get stuck on the Jumbo not only because of the additional premium (and they're still making more), but I personally am a big fan of the sweeping seconds hand. To me, it just makes the watch more "alive".

Absolutely agree with you here. I just don’t see AP making a 39mm royal oak that could cannibalize sales of the jumbo which could be one of the reasons why the 15300 had such a short production run.

Old 19 February 2020, 06:01 AM   #7
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J to the Z View Post
Absolutely agree with you here. I just don’t see AP making a 39mm royal oak that could cannibalize sales of the jumbo which could be one of the reasons why the 15300 had such a short production run.

AP doesn't make enough 15202 to worry about its sales being "cannibalized" lol
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
True. But they would potentially lose their bait to get you to buy something you do not want in order to get the jumbo. If there was any other 39mm offering, I think the jumbo would lose its luster. Hence the 15300 blue prices surging.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:46 AM   #9
J to the Z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post

I’ve met someone who got a 15202 from a boutique about 10 years ago and he was presented with the 15202 and the 15300 side by side. It was a different time back then but he came very close to picking the 15300. Not trying to say this type of situation has happened often, but rather that I see no reason for AP to introduce a new 39mm royal oak so for someone who badly wants a 39mm royal oak but can’t get their hands on a 15202 then the 15300 is your next best option.