The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 February 2020, 10:18 AM   #1
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Submariner 10 Year Service w/RSC

I purchased a ceramic Submariner Date in February 2011. I have worn it every single day since then. And I do mean every single day, only leaving my wrist when I go to sleep. By next February, I’ll be coming up on 10 years, meaning that it’ll be time for me to send it to the RSC for a service. The jeweler that I bought it from (Robert C Wesley in Scottsdale) used to have a guy on-site who would service, which I would have probably done for faster turn-around time (and probably lower price). But he retired a few years ago, so RSC it is.

Obviously, for being a daily wearer, my bracelet is completely covered in scratches with the brushed finished hardly even noticeable anymore. But that’s okay. After some debate, I’ve decided to specify with the RSC that I do not want my watched polished. They can clean it all they want, but absolutely no polishing. My crystal is perfect and none of the scratches are bad and not even really noticeable unless up close. My watch gains about 3-5 seconds a day - which is the same as when I bought it. No issues whatsoever.

However, I’m curious about a few other things.

1 - I’ve always been kind of bothered that my crown doesn’t line up (which is common). Is this able to be adjusted when serviced?

2 - I read somewhere that the RSC will replace the hands when it is being serviced, but I really don’t feel that they need to be replaced at all. Is this something else that I need to specify?

3 - Insurance. I already have insurance on my watch through Jewelers Mutual, which I pay for annually. Is it necessary to get it insured for its value when I ship it out or would that most likely be covered? I mean, my insurance covers theft and loss, so I'm assuming it would also cover it if it ended up getting lost in the mail.

4 - The jeweler said they ship them to the RSC, but how is that any different than me doing it myself? I'm thinking of just doing it myself, as I'm guessing there's probably a fee for doing it through the jeweler.

Any thoughts?
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:28 AM   #2
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
1. Yes, a standard full service includes regulating to ensure the watch is functioning within COSC standards.

2. Rolex examines the hands, dial, bezel, and other parts with a loupe to reveal excessive wear (by Rolex's standards) and imperfections (by Rolex's standards) and will recommend replacing parts they find deficient. When I sent my GMT Master in for service they saw wear marks on the dial I never noticed. As the hands had no lume left I wanted them replaced, and swapping out the dial so the new hands would match it was a no-brainer for me. I don't care about patina and original hands. I want a nice clean watch that looks as good as it can. Rolex left these decisions to me though.

3 & 4. I shipped myself. When I contacted Rolex and ordered the service they sent me instructions for shipping the watch to them via FedEx. They even sent me the box to use with a pre-printed label. I paid about $75 for insurance of $8,000. No need to have a jeweler ship it for you. Once you contact Rolex and give them your email address they will send you step-by-step shipping instructions.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:35 AM   #3
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
1. Yes, a standard full service includes regulating to ensure the watch is functioning within COSC standards.

2. Rolex examines the hands, dial, bezel, and other parts with a loupe to reveal excessive wear (by Rolex's standards) and imperfections (by Rolex's standards) and will recommend replacing parts they find deficient. When I sent my GMT Master in for service they saw wear marks on the dial I never noticed. As the hands had no lume left I wanted them replaced, and swapping out the dial so the new hands would match it was a no-brainer for me. I don't care about patina and original hands. I want a nice clean watch that looks as good as it can. Rolex left these decisions to me though.

3 & 4. I shipped myself. When I contacted Rolex and ordered the service they sent me instructions for shipping the watch to them via FedEx. They even sent me the box to use with a pre-printed label. I paid about $75 for insurance of $8,000. No need to have a jeweler ship it for you. Once you contact Rolex and give them your email address they will send you step-by-step shipping instructions.
What was your turn-around time? The jeweler told me that a quote usually takes about two weeks and then expect about another month before you have it back.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1. Line up with what?. There is no criteria that states that the crown should be in any particular orientation.

2. Rolex doesn't replace anything that you don't approve of, and pay for.

3. Talk to your insurance company.

4. If you go through an AD, then they are the customer that the RSC will deal with, not you.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:41 AM   #5
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Line up with what?. There is no criteria that states that the crown should be in any particular orientation.

2. Rolex doesn't replace anything that you don't approve of, and pay for.

3. Talk to your insurance company.

4. If you go through an AD, then they are the customer that the RSC will deal with, not you.
In regards to the crown - meaning that it sits vertically like it does in the ads.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Bigblu10
Banned

Send the watch to RSC yourself. If the AD does, you forfeit any decision making regarding your watch. It must be mailed using usps REGISTERED mail. I would pay to insure the watch for replacement value. It is very reasonable priced through usps.
As far as crown it basically ends up where it is tightened. There is no way to index it.
Make sure you specify NO POLISH/ NO REFINISH somehow in large print so they know your intentions.
I would send to RSC Dallas over NYC as results tend to be better
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:53 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
In regards to the crown - meaning that it sits vertically like it does in the ads.
We know what you mean. Those are marketing pictures that also all have the time set at 10:10 and 31 seconds on the 28th.

Product photography is an art form, it is seldom reality.

you can, of course, ask for anything. but I doubt that they would try out dozens of combinations to find something close to the photos.
Old 17 February 2020, 11:16 AM   #8
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I'll go against the grain here but, if the piece is keeping proper time, the scratches are tolerable and you're willing to forget that 'lined up crown' nonsense, don't even bother getting a full blown service / overhaul. It runs at CSOC spec which is fine although if you want closer tolerances, get it regulated. You could find a local watchmaker or Jeweler for a deep cleaning and for less than a couple of 'yards' you might get another 10 years. My AirKing was fine for 13 years of daily use. I upgraded to a DJ but I had no issues at all.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:39 AM   #9
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Rolex does not line up their crowns from the factory so I am 99% certain they would not grant this request when doing a service.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 01:33 AM   #10
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
What was your turn-around time? The jeweler told me that a quote usually takes about two weeks and then expect about another month before you have it back.

RSC Dallas has my BLRO back to me in New Jersey in about 5 weeks.
Old 21 February 2020, 02:47 AM   #11
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Even if it came back perfectly the way you want it, that would change over time as the gasket compresses with use.

If it really bothers you, do what the photographers do in the ads and back the crown up a little to be where you want it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:32 AM   #12
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Send the watch to RSC yourself. If the AD does, you forfeit any decision making regarding your watch. It must be mailed using usps REGISTERED mail. I would pay to insure the watch for replacement value. It is very reasonable priced through usps.
As far as crown it basically ends up where it is tightened. There is no way to index it.
Make sure you specify NO POLISH/ NO REFINISH somehow in large print so they know your intentions.
I would send to RSC Dallas over NYC as results tend to be better
I sent two watches in using my AD in November. Both were 17 years old at the time. Once the RSC received our watches, they contacted the AD with their findings and recommendations to get our okay. The AD then called and went over the findings. My wife’s DJ had lume flaking off the hands and gave us the choice whether to replace or not...we chose to do so as we wanted the watches coming back in as new condition. I wanted my sub serviced for the gaskets because I actually dive with my 11613...so the AD absolutely should get your okay to do anything beyond what is required...just my experience.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #13
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You are perhaps lucky that your local jeweller guy on site is retired.
At the least I want to have official Rolex certified watchmakers servicing my watch, not some watch guy, no better place than a RSC for that.

I wonder since your watch is running spot on why would you want to service it ?

Just had a 20 year old Rolex serviced for the first time because it was running fast. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it and a simple regulation would have fixed it as well.
Unlike you If I give a watch for service to an RSC I insist on polishing, absolutely love the look of a brand new watch coming back.
Done by a pro you can't tell but people here like scratches

1. no
2. no, it's not standard.
3. Idk
4. The advantage shipping it yourself is that you are a partner for the RSC and any questions they have they will contact you.
Ship through a jeweller and you hear nothing from the RSC direct.
A surcharge is normal imho, they work, their risk, they get paid for that.