The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Victoria88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lady datejust
New DJ run very slow

Hi!

I am new to this forum. A quick introduction, I just got my first rolex watch! The lady datejust 28mm two tone, with diamonds hours maker and MOP. All the excitements quickly go away as I notice my watch runs slow, very slow compare to Rolex standard and COSC standard. It consistently loose about 10second every 24hours and it is not improving. It is actually gone downhill, starting 6 now is about 12. I got it for over week now and has been wearing it every day for over 10hours daily. I called the AD in Houston, TX and was told it is not unusual, the store manager told me her watch had same issue. She told me to send my watch to service center for repair. I did a lot of research before I decided on Rolex but I don’t know as much as some of you. I am reaching out for help! Please let me know if it is normal for a brand new Rolex to keep loosing time, more and more everyday. Isn’t rolex movement is very reliable? Not perfect, but -2/+2 ehich is pretty accurate for automatic watch. Loosing over 10 second daily seem far off. What options do I have? It is a beautiful watch but the movement is disappointed me.

Thank you!!!
Victoria88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It is not usual that a new Rolex will be off by more than their advertised standards.

However, there is likely nothing actually wrong with the watch. It very likely only needs to be regulated slightly; the timing is fully adjustable by a minute or so either way.

Sorry it's yours, but sometimes they break-in, or are adjusted off by a couple of seconds or so.
Old 19 February 2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Frank Mucus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII Wimbledon
You should probably send it in for service since that is not normal.
Frank Mucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Sulla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,AK,DJ,EX,TTSub
Welcome OP. My recently purchased Datejust was running +7 to +9 seconds per day. I took it t a Rolex Service Centre (under guarantee), and will get it back soon. You could be without your watch for up to 6 weeks! Good luck!
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Dumb question- have you verified the watch is fully wound (40 turns) before checking accuracy? How are you checking accuracy? Through an app or comparing w/time.is, etc?

I wouldn’t send it away just yet...
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Welcome... I agree with Crazy Lugs, give it a little more time, like 30 days so you know its settled and more time on your wrist than 10 hrs. a day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:44 AM   #7
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

If you bought it new (versus used), this is not usual and your AD is full of it. That is WAY WAY off and not within reason nor specs. I would request service under warranty.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would wind it fully, wear it the same amount of time each day, and give it a few days. If it does not speed up, then send it for regulation by the service center.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:48 PM   #9
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I vote with give it a bit more time like a month. If there is no change go visit rsc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:54 PM   #10
pepsi16710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 pepsi, 16610
Hi, I bought my wife a DJ 31 a year ago and it is now running at +3.2 seconds per day. it started out at -6 per day and over time (around 4 months, arrived at perfect timing. it then gradually increased to +6, and has now settled at +3.2, with which I am quite happy. This "adjustment" took around 7 months and so I second the advise given above - wear it daily, give it a full wind from time to time and I think it will settle down. I had considered taking it in, and might do so if it deteriorates from where it is now. give it another 2 months or so and I think you will see an improvement.
pepsi16710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #11
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
The day I start testing the timing off my watches by seconds is the day I go crazy! As long as I set it within a minute that’s fine by me, I in fact often set them a couple mins ahead. Don’t worry about it!
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:34 PM   #12
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

As one of the posters said, make sure it is fully wound, like 40 turns.
Also, the watch could be magnetized. I would take it back to the AD and have it go thru the de-magnetizer they have, that might do the trick. If after 30 days, a visit to the RSC would be in order. You have every right to expect the watch running within COSC spec. Sorry to hear of your experience, very disappointing.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:37 PM   #13
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
The day I start testing the timing off my watches by seconds is the day I go crazy! As long as I set it within a minute that’s fine by me, I in fact often set them a couple mins ahead. Don’t worry about it!
So much this. Owning a watch with no running seconds for awhile will break you of that obsession quickly haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2020, 11:51 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I am new to this forum. A quick introduction, I just got my first rolex watch! The lady datejust 28mm two tone, with diamonds hours maker and MOP. All the excitements quickly go away as I notice my watch runs slow, very slow compare to Rolex standard and COSC standard. It consistently loose about 10second every 24hours and it is not improving. It is actually gone downhill, starting 6 now is about 12. I got it for over week now and has been wearing it every day for over 10hours daily. I called the AD in Houston, TX and was told it is not unusual, the store manager told me her watch had same issue. She told me to send my watch to service center for repair. I did a lot of research before I decided on Rolex but I don’t know as much as some of you. I am reaching out for help! Please let me know if it is normal for a brand new Rolex to keep loosing time, more and more everyday. Isn’t rolex movement is very reliable? Not perfect, but -2/+2 ehich is pretty accurate for automatic watch. Loosing over 10 second daily seem far off. What options do I have? It is a beautiful watch but the movement is disappointed me.

Thank you!!![/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Also, the watch could be magnetized. I would take it back to the AD and have it go thru the de-magnetizer they have, that might do the trick. If after 30 days, a visit to the RSC would be in order. You have every right to expect the watch running within COSC spec. Sorry to hear of your experience, very disappointing.
Its not magnetised as when magnetised they speed up and not slow down.Many things can effect mechanical watches almost daily when wearing such as gravity,mainspring-power-reserve,changes in temperatures,subtle changes in lubrication and friction,shocks on wrist when wearing,metal expansion and contraction,and so on.And would hardly call about -10 seconds running very slow remember there are 86400 seconds in a day and that the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times.Movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period to get the chronometer certification.Give it a few weeks if no better only option is to have it regulated,although a quite simple task it will take the RSC around 4 weeks to return watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:23 AM   #15
Victoria88
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your responses. I got my watch brand new at AD, the SA wind the watch and adjusted time for me, I wore it walking out the boutique and have been wearing it every for over 10hours daily.

If I send to service center for regulating, do you know if they will open everything inside the case or what do they do to regulate the time? I don’t want to have my watch case open up, I like to keep it in its original condition for at least 10 years. Will the movement accuracy improve over time?

Silly question, but Is there a possibility that the small watch (28mm) is not as accurate as the bigger watch?

Thanks alot!!!
Old 20 February 2020, 03:26 AM   #16
Victoria88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
What is magnetized? Thank you!
Old 20 February 2020, 04:00 AM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You have metal inside your watch, it can carry a conductive force. Something being magnetized is measured by the force you need to pull items apart.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:12 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria88 View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I got my watch brand new at AD, the SA wind the watch and adjusted time for me, I wore it walking out the boutique and have been wearing it every for over 10hours daily.

If I send to service center for regulating, do you know if they will open everything inside the case or what do they do to regulate the time? I don’t want to have my watch case open up, I like to keep it in its original condition for at least 10 years. Will the movement accuracy improve over time?

Silly question, but Is there a possibility that the small watch (28mm) is not as accurate as the bigger watch?

Thanks alot!!!
First just by wearing the watch does not mean you are winding the watch its wrist activity movement what winds the watch. And makes no difference the size of movement it all come down to how well its been regulated to that matches the wearers wearing habits.Today regulation is a very very simple task for any good watchmaker,its accomplished by turning the Microstella adjustment screws and nuts on the balance wheel.The two smaller Microstella screws make adjustments of one second for each turn on the tool, and the larger Microstella, two seconds for one turn on the tool,but adjustment must be balanced with the opposite gold adjustment screw. The rate adjustment on the balance wheel it's a max of around 150 seconds either way.And you need a microstella special tool and a timing machine although it's a easy job takes about 10 -15 minutes with case back off, and expect this task is the most done daily by watchmakers worldwide.And for the second time your watch is not magnetised, so dont worry about that but its a very simple task to de-magnetise.

Microstella tool this is the older tool Rolex now has a more modern one but it does the same job and adjustment is done the same way.

Balance-wheel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:43 AM   #19
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

Thanks alot!!!
Victoria, don't worry about sending your watch to an Rolex Servive Center yet.
A new watch needs to be used for some time before one can judge it's performance. First thing you should do is winding your watch. Believe it or not, 70% of mechanical watch owners "including ADs" disregard this simple yet so important requirement. By winding we mean more than 50 full crown turns. This is what Rolex user manual says if you have taken a look at it.
If you wear your watch for 10 hours and you're mostly seated at your desk then your watch is not getting any extra energy and is like being off your wrist. Add to that the fact that you are leaving the watch alone for 14 hours / day, this will cause the watch to be operating at it's lowest power reserve which will translate in the lack of accuracy you're noticing.
In your case I would give the watch a super full 50 crown turns every day or two. Do that and see if the timekeeping will improve.
Old 21 February 2020, 03:27 AM   #20
Victoria88
"TRF" Member

What do you know and your experience with the new movement 2236? This is the movement I have in my lady DJ 28mm. My SA told me this new movement is supposed to be better and she has not have any issues with any watch, until mine. They asked me to bring it to the boutique so they can put it in the time machine, not sure what they are trying to do but I told them I do not want to open the watch case.

Thanks all!

Thank you!!
Old 21 February 2020, 04:27 AM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
What do you know and your experience with the new movement 2236? This is the movement I have in my lady DJ 28mm. My SA told me this new movement is supposed to be better and she has not have any issues with any watch, until mine. They asked me to bring it to the boutique so they can put it in the time machine, not sure what they are trying to do but I told them I do not want to open the watch case.
. . .
"Better" is a subjective statement.

The Ladies movements have been consistently more robust with fewer issues, according to COSC leaked documents in the past.

The newest Ladies movements also have Rolex latest silicon hairspring (Silox), and so it is fitted with the latest technology available.

Putting it on a time machine (timegrapher) listens to the sounds (ticks) it makes and converts that to usable data. You do not need to open the watch for this.

There is no magic inside the case that will suddenly fall out when the case back is opened; adjustment is the whole point in having easy back-movement access.