The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2019, 11:20 PM   #91
skirsch
Banned

Same watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Thank you for your reply
Mine has been keeping perfect time for almost two years so hopefully it is OK. Anyway, I have never had an issue with a Rolex that they have not solved under warranty.
I have an early Sea Dweller 43 (June 2017 also) and have the watch in a rotation with other watches so it sits unwound for weeks. No issues at this point but this is good information to have in case it loses or gains a minute a day all of a sudden.
skirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:21 PM   #92
spaciorek
"TRF" Member

awesome pictures, I forwarded this thread to a friend who just purchased a Datejust 41.
spaciorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #93
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Wow. Great pictures!
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:55 PM   #94
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Thank you so much for the incredible photos and the useful info.
I also wish they were more post like this. As a relatively newcomer to the hobby, the educational part and history of the brand is extremely import to me. I truly appreciate your efforts to share some of your knowledge. Please keep posting similar educational info.

Sincerely
John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 12:19 AM   #95
maxbelg
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed this post a lot, thanks. I just took my 126710BLRO to my AD to have it checked: it started loosing a few seconds and I measured the amplitude horizontally (fully wound with lift angle 55°)at <260. Maybe everything is OK but I wanted to be sure it doesn't have this issue, hope I don't have to wait too long to get it back!
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:02 AM   #96
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Thanks so much for sharing this! I've had two DJ41s, both of which soon developed accuracy issues (lost seconds/day) and went to RSC under warranty. One was regulated first by a local AD but the problem soon returned and even worsened.

The only feedback from RSC was "Check Movement". I'm guessing the problem could have been the lubrication issue you described. This helps to assure me that I'm not simply OCD as some on TRF will quickly assert when many of us attempt to describe an accuracy issue.
Old 25 March 2019, 01:08 AM   #97
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Very cool. Thanks very much for sharing with us!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:39 AM   #98
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Awesome thread and pictures! Thanks for sharing Bas.
Old 25 March 2019, 02:08 AM   #99
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The pivot was most likely not lubricated due to a production error. The seconds wheel was always quite prone to wear so I don't think this was intentional..

Yes in pretty much all mechanical watches the gear train is lubricated.
I agree! Since the movement is mass produced and Rolex probably has parallel assembly stations,(assuming the lubrication step is still done by hand) perhaps the error was by one lone person, therefore the error is not in all the early 32xx series movements.

Thanks again, enjoyed your sharing!

As a hobbyist I have bought a number of watch making books like the one by George Daniels.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 02:27 AM   #100
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You are such an outstanding asset on this forum. A must read for me when I see you post.
Old 25 March 2019, 02:38 AM   #101
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this! I've had two DJ41s, both of which soon developed accuracy issues (lost seconds/day) and went to RSC under warranty. One was regulated first by a local AD but the problem soon returned and even worsened.

The only feedback from RSC was "Check Movement". I'm guessing the problem could have been the lubrication issue you described. This helps to assure me that I'm not simply OCD as some on TRF will quickly assert when many of us attempt to describe an accuracy issue.
May I ask how soon that accuracy problem developed?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 02:42 AM   #102
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Thank you for making the time and effort with these great photos and explanation of the "dry" issue. Very interesting to know this issue exists.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 25 March 2019, 02:48 AM   #103
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
You do realise you’ve just opened a can of worms there, don’t you?
It’s really no different than buying the first run of a new car or extensively redesigned model- teething problems should be expected. Beta testing is just part of the price paid for having to have the newest thing.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 02:58 AM   #104
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Thank you for the interesting pictures.

It’s eye opening to see Rolex’s attention to detail on the finish even though the movement is hidden out of sight.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #105
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
May I ask how soon that accuracy problem developed?
Both ran -2s/day at time of purchase. The first one slipped progressively lower within a couple of months. The second one actually improved and was consistently within -2/+2 for almost a year.

The first DJ was bought new in October 2016. When it hit -4s/day I asked a local watchmaker to put it on his timegrapher. He confirmed the -4s but said it also showed there were "amplitude issues" and suggested I send it to RSC. It then ran at about +1s/day for the next 8 months I owned it.

The second DJ was bought new in June 2017. When it hit -4s/day in August 2018 I had it regulated by a watchmaker at an AD. It ran at close to 0s/day for awhile and then slipped to -6s/day by September. The same watchmaker then told me there were issues with "low power" and it needed to go to RSC. I still have this DJ and now, about 6 months later, it averages about +0.5 s/day.
Old 25 March 2019, 04:02 AM   #106
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Both ran -2s/day at time of purchase. The first one slipped progressively lower within a couple of months. The second one actually improved and was consistently within -2/+2 for almost a year.

The first DJ was bought new in October 2016. When it hit -4s/day I asked a local watchmaker to put it on his timegrapher. He confirmed the -4s but said it also showed there were "amplitude issues" and suggested I send it to RSC. It then ran at about +1s/day for the next 8 months I owned it.

The second DJ was bought new in June 2017. When it hit -4s/day in August 2018 I had it regulated by a watchmaker at an AD. It ran at close to 0s/day for awhile and then slipped to -6s/day by September. The same watchmaker then told me there were issues with "low power" and it needed to go to RSC. I still have this DJ and now, about 6 months later, it averages about +0.5 s/day.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Looks like a difficult problem to identify by just looking at the accuracy, at least in the beginning. But once they fall to -4s/day there clearly is something wrong. Mine is holding to within ±0.5s/day after two years so I may be fine.
Old 25 March 2019, 04:42 AM   #107
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Looks like a difficult problem to identify by just looking at the accuracy, at least in the beginning. But once they fall to -4s/day there clearly is something wrong. Mine is holding to within ±0.5s/day after two years so I may be fine.
Old 25 March 2019, 05:03 AM   #108
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:

So just to confirm did you have both regulated once and did you send both to RSC?
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 05:07 AM   #109
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
So just to confirm did you have both regulated once and did you send both to RSC?
No....only the second one was regulated before going to RSC. And yes, both went to RSC.
Old 25 March 2019, 06:20 AM   #110
mat_787
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Should i be concerned if I pick one up new now?
mat_787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 06:41 AM   #111
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

I think we shouldn't be overly concerned about this being a systematic risk: there have been probably hundreds of thousands of these 32xx movements sold since they were released, starting with the Day-Date in 2015, then the Datejust 41, then the Sea-Dweller 50th Anniversary, and finally the updated GMT II, and if this was a widespread issue we would have heard about it by now. I agree that it must have been an isolated human error that slipped through Quality Control.
Old 25 March 2019, 07:45 AM   #112
Castlesinthesky
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few :)
Great post. Many thanks for sharing
Castlesinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:11 AM   #113
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
It’s really no different than buying the first run of a new car or extensively redesigned model- teething problems should be expected. Beta testing is just part of the price paid for having to have the newest thing.

Yeah I’m honestly not that fussed. Although I wouldn’t agree that I’ve elected myself for beta testing as you call it.

I bought a DJ41 which contains a movement that had been out for a good couple of years before I got mine.

It is what it is I guess.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:17 AM   #114
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Wonderful pics.

My 2018 DSSD (126660) began to lose time, and when it got to minus 6 seconds per day my local watchmaker tested the amplitude.

His view was that it was low, and I should send it back to Rolex for service & it duly went overseas for a month for regulation. It wasn't too far out of specification, but it was slowly but surely getting worse.

I am not sure if it had this lubrication issue, but certainly the comment was made that the amplitude should have been a lot higher....but how low it was I have no idea.

Either way, it's running fantastically well now.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 02:01 PM   #115
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
wow, nice shot......there's even perlage on rolex movement, i'm impressed
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:31 PM   #116
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_787 View Post
Should i be concerned if I pick one up new now?
Not at all
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 08:33 PM   #117
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
wow, nice shot......there's even perlage on rolex movement, i'm impressed
The older movements have perlage as well.
Old 25 March 2019, 08:38 PM   #118
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Despite what a lot of haters say, Rolex movements are still nicely decorated, even though you will never see them through an open back.
Thank you OP!
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:26 PM   #119
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
Despite what a lot of haters say, Rolex movements are still nicely decorated, even though you will never see them through an open back.
Thank you OP!
I agree, while it is no patek or lange I still think Rolex movements look pretty good The new 32 series is very nicely finished for a workhorse movement IMO
Old 26 March 2019, 01:15 PM   #120
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
OP, I absolutely love your contributions here. Thank you! Amazing work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote