The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #1
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Not sure how this happened ..... INCOMING!

As the title indicates, I am a little stunned and confused as to how this all happened. As I have written a few times in the past, my interest in APs and watches more generally has been waning, to the point where I have not even worn a mechanical watch for the last three months! The current environment leaves a lot to be desired by someone who has been, shall we say, an AP fanboy for about 9 years now. It was not the fact that AP would (obviously) prioritize its VIPs but that something seemed to be breaking down in the allocation process. Models that are pseudo “application pieces”, (meaning models that require approval from the boutique manager and higher ups to be sold) all seemed to be ending up in the grey market. That people I know buy a watch, flip it, and then buy another, are feted as big spenders when they are simply recycling the same $$ and contributing to the flipping culture that is alive and well at the moment. That there was no room for the buy and hold customer devoted to the brand. The transaction nature of the industry just turned me off.

So when you combine the current environment with the mixed experiences I have had at my local boutique (which I won’t rehash) I was pretty much done with AP. I wasn’t going to sell what I had because I bought them for a reason and those reasons did not change. But I had no interest in playing the game of trying to win the allocation lottery. Instead I decided I would go in and have the bracelet on my 26237 and in the process see what had changed at the boutique now that most of the staff had turned over. So three weeks ago I head into midtown (yuk) and the boutique was super busy, never seen it so busy. Waited patiently while a sales rep I have never seen before helped someone else. When he finished up he happily changed out the rubber strap and then we chatted a bit. He was fantastic, could not have had a better experience. Pulled up my profile, saw what I had long ago indicated an interest in and wanted to know if it was still accurate. I told him a version of the story above, love the brand but my interest had been waning. Also walked me through the Code line (yes, yes I know but they are much better in person and I think they have potential given the case design) and said he would put himself on as my second point of contact (the boutique manager was listed as the first point of contact). I thanked for his time subsequently by email and that was that. Fast forward two weeks and he asks me again if there is anything else I was interested in, I respond and again that was the end of it. Next day I am at the gym over lunch and he calls me cell. I did not want to take the call at the gym so I let it go to voicemail. No message. Weird. I email him and let him know I am tied up but what’s up. He calls again and this time I find a place to pick up the call at the gym. He asks if I still want the piece that I had indicated an interest in several years before. I told him, uh yeah, and he responded by letting me know that he will have one in an hour and do I want it. Stunned. No idea how it came to be or why, but I finished up and then headed back up to midtown (still yuk) and shall we say the rest is history.

The buying experience was phenomenal and my sales rep could not have been better. I won’t bore you with all the details but the experience was the best I have ever had with AP and I am very thankful to my sales rep (I don’t want to name someone publicly without their consent, even when positive).

I apologize in advance, the pictures suck though this piece makes me want to try harder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202c.jpg (114.5 KB, 2262 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_203f.jpg (214.1 KB, 2245 views)
File Type: jpg J9weqqSYSrKBlDg2FReWOw_thumb_2027.jpg (255.2 KB, 2252 views)
File Type: jpg zcrF0djrS26nrBGIV05NOQ_thumb_2048.jpg (222.9 KB, 2244 views)
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:12 AM   #2
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Wow great story and so glad they took care of you. Gives us all hope. Congrats on a stunning piece!!!!
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:14 AM   #3
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Congratulations S! You deserve it!
Old 14 February 2020, 04:17 AM   #4
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats buddy!
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #5
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!!! Really happy for you.....wear it in good health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eiesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:23 AM   #6
Basic_Satisfaction
"TRF" Member

Looks great ,cheers.
Basic_Satisfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:24 AM   #7
Gravity
"TRF" Member

WOW! That's one hell of a callback, especially without having to scoop up a Code or anything else you really didn't want. Congrats! Still my fav piece.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:24 AM   #8
hrm
"TRF" Member

That’s awesome. Beautiful watch. Congrats!
hrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:43 AM   #9
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
what a great story, love hearing success stories like this! absolute masterpiece you just got, one of my favorite ever! congrats!!!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:46 AM   #10
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Wow great story and so glad they took care of you. Gives us all hope. Congrats on a stunning piece!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Congrats buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic_Satisfaction View Post
Looks great ,cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
WOW! That's one hell of a callback, especially without having to scoop up a Code or anything else you really didn't want. Congrats! Still my fav piece.
Thanks guys. I just stare at it constantly and it never seems to get old.
Old 14 February 2020, 04:47 AM   #11
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Congratulations S! You deserve it!
Not sure deserve is the right word but I am very thankful. My wife is getting annoyed with me because I keep saying "I can't believe they sold this to me". Weird times.
Old 14 February 2020, 04:47 AM   #12
edo
"TRF" Member

Great story... congrats on one of the best modern APs...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 04:49 AM   #13
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
this is an amazing piece , congrats!
Old 14 February 2020, 04:50 AM   #14
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Yeah, not sure what it was. Only thing I have going for me is that I don't sell. I still have every AP I have ever purchased and they know it as I am in there once or twice a year to have them change out straps or get a piece serviced, etc. Not sure if they value that or not but that's all I got.
Old 14 February 2020, 04:56 AM   #15
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Nice story and even nicer watch!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:05 AM   #16
Bourbon
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Brick
Two questions.

1. How much did you save as you bought via retail versus flipped/secondary?

2. What was in the glass (booze)?
Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #17
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Hot damn! That’s fantastic. I hope that kind of treatment becomes the norm.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:39 AM   #18
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Wow...first of all, congratulations and wear that in the best of health! It’s just absolutely gorgeous.

This gives all of us hope. I agree with the sentiment that there are simply way too many watches that are on the secondary market. It’s understandable that some go there, but on some models it really makes you ask if the process is broken. It won’t be fixed in a day, but I think AP may be aware of this and slowly things like this will happen with more frequency. These watches deserve to go to collectors, “fanboys”, or whoever genuinely has an appreciation for the art and craft and wants the privilege of owning what are bonafide works of art.

Your experience shows that indeed there may be better days ahead. Now, enjoy the hell out of that watch!!
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 05:40 AM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Big Congrats! Enjoy!
Old 14 February 2020, 05:44 AM   #20
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

That's how it should be! Congratulations, I'm sure you'll wear the heck out of it.

I've also been bothered a bit that there doesn't seem to be a good system in place to allocate watches to those who will actually wear them. With an initial investment and a point of contact, it would be pretty straightforward to purchase a sought after piece with a couple duds, flip for profit or even money as long as you got one at under market price, rinse and repeat. To the boutique you've purchased 10 watches in a year and are the whale. To your bank account, you've purchased just one at a discount, 9 other suckers have paid market price for what they want, and greys have turned a profit with you.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the system, but it is a turn off for someone like me who pretty much agonizes over every purchase, but never sells something once I've purchased it.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:15 AM   #21
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Very cool, well done, great watch.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:21 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
A Code-less victory is the best kind, double congrats!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:22 AM   #23
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Wow! What a great surprise! Congrats!

Thanks for sharing this story. I hope having this piece on your wrist brings back the passion you once had.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:32 AM   #24
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Great story... congrats on one of the best modern APs...
It truly is mesmerizing to stare at. Definitely smitten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsowwss View Post
this is an amazing piece , congrats!
Never seen one IRL until I walked in last Friday. Only problem is I have to take my contact lenses out to see it clearly as they are too strong to see it up close

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Nice story and even nicer watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
Two questions.

1. How much did you save as you bought via retail versus flipped/secondary?

This info is publicly available and not really something I considered. I was never buying it grey.

2. What was in the glass (booze)?
Macallan 18 Sherry Cask. There a few more after that. It was delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometerman View Post
Hot damn! That’s fantastic. I hope that kind of treatment becomes the norm.
Agreed. But it is a business and they need to take care of VVIPs as well, and I fully support that. I just hope they keep an eye out for the people who purchase with a view to a distribution so to speak (sorry, the language of my prior life as securities lawyer is coming out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Wow...first of all, congratulations and wear that in the best of health! It’s just absolutely gorgeous.

This gives all of us hope. I agree with the sentiment that there are simply way too many watches that are on the secondary market. It’s understandable that some go there, but on some models it really makes you ask if the process is broken. It won’t be fixed in a day, but I think AP may be aware of this and slowly things like this will happen with more frequency. These watches deserve to go to collectors, “fanboys”, or whoever genuinely has an appreciation for the art and craft and wants the privilege of owning what are bonafide works of art.

Your experience shows that indeed there may be better days ahead. Now, enjoy the hell out of that watch!!
Your lips to gods ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
That's how it should be! Congratulations, I'm sure you'll wear the heck out of it.

I've also been bothered a bit that there doesn't seem to be a good system in place to allocate watches to those who will actually wear them. With an initial investment and a point of contact, it would be pretty straightforward to purchase a sought after piece with a couple duds, flip for profit or even money as long as you got one at under market price, rinse and repeat. To the boutique you've purchased 10 watches in a year and are the whale. To your bank account, you've purchased just one at a discount, 9 other suckers have paid market price for what they want, and greys have turned a profit with you.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the system, but it is a turn off for someone like me who pretty much agonizes over every purchase, but never sells something once I've purchased it.
I hope there is some consideration for those who are interested in owning these pieces long term and not just to sell on 47th street. One thing I made clear was that I guarantee any piece sold to me would not end up in the grey market or end up registered in someone else's name. Notwithstanding, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people in NYC that could say the same thing that are far more worthy than me. So I am very thankful and appreciative to AP.
Old 14 February 2020, 06:33 AM   #25
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Big Congrats! Enjoy!
Thank you. Your collection and the manner in which you can capture in pictures is truly legendary.
Old 14 February 2020, 06:38 AM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Many congrats. AP is my current favourite brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:19 AM   #27
pain888
"TRF" Member

Well Deserve. CONGRATS

"LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST"
pain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 08:45 AM   #28
Burlington
"TRF" Member

What a fabulous watch !!

Enjoy wearing in good health