The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2020, 01:28 PM   #31
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillychow View Post
So, before lets say 2016, what did the grey market look like? What did Chrono24 and DavidSW have for margins on their Rolexes? It sounds like you would never have had to buy grey as the AD would have in stock what you wanted when you wanted it - and likely at a discount nonetheless. It didn't occur to me that this whole grey market (for Rolexes anyway) fiasco might be a new phenomena.

Even pre 2010, Jomashop was only 5% discount on SS sports, 10% on TT and even more on PM. I was only interested in the half gold GMT and it was 5% off but no tax charged at time of sale.
Old 20 February 2020, 01:32 PM   #32
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
A bit after US FedRes QE3. Now with QE4Ever it's going to be near impossible until the currency crashes.

This is 100% correct. The Rolex (and SP500) IS the currency now where people are storing their inflated dollars.
Old 20 February 2020, 03:28 PM   #33
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Q4 2016
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:48 PM   #34
imbatman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
A scarcity imposed by Rolex themselves. They will have to eventually release all the stock they have been producing for the past 3 years to the market. I still don't understand why rolex is doing this.

Anyway, yea in 2017 it all started in my part of the world.
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 04:54 PM   #35
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
Summer 2017 in Dubai, I could still see Batman or Hulk available. I guess towards the end of the year, the supplies dried up because Rolex is not delivering its stocks or not making its stocks available to the common folks.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:25 PM   #36
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Even pre 2010, Jomashop was only 5% discount on SS sports, 10% on TT and even more on PM. I was only interested in the half gold GMT and it was 5% off but no tax charged at time of sale.
Joma is always 10-15% pricier than the market price. Market price is to be found in Hong Kong.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:51 PM   #37
imbatman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Summer 2017 in Dubai, I could still see Batman or Hulk available. I guess towards the end of the year, the supplies dried up because Rolex is not delivering its stocks or not making its stocks available to the common folks.
The good old days where you could walk in a Rolex store and walk out with a Hulk, Batman, Sub....
imbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 10:06 PM   #38
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Definitely started some time in 2017

This pic was taken at the Dubai airport on 28 December 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2020, 10:57 PM   #39
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Instagram
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 10:58 PM   #40
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

I don't really understand the "Rolex is holding product/reduced production" comments. It seems as though there is just as much stock now as there was pre-16/17, it's just with greys instead of ADs.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:17 PM   #41
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
.. there is just as much stock now as there was pre-16/17, it's just with greys instead of ADs.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:19 PM   #42
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

This marketing concept has been in use since at least 2001. Retail was 6k on a new Daytona and they were bringing 9k on the street. It has slowly spread to the entire sport range which is still a niche market as far as Rolex is concerned. It makes the bread and butter models more desirable as well.

It's genius really, a normie starts thinking Rolex, pokes his head in the forums or AD and is treated to the spectacle of grown men waving tens of thousands of dollars around crying they can't buy that batboy they have their heart set on!

Our normie blinks at this and counts himself lucky to be able to grab that grape OP and goes merrily on his way telling everyone who will listen this amazing story!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:22 PM   #43
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Somewhere between late 2016 and mid-2017. I have never seen SS Daytonas in the case. But I would still see the Hulk and BLNR in the case occasionally, with all other models fairly easy to find. I miss those days.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 01:34 AM   #44
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
What really started this is when the Swiss Franc was unpegged from the Euro.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:21 AM   #45
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I'd say the consensus of 2017 is consistent. I remember in my Daytona lust days I could constantly buy a box papers steel version pre-owned for $10,500 and was weighing that with fairly easy access to new one for 12400 and was waffling. I ended up not buying and getting on the waitlist in March of 17 for a ceramic Daytona and having one by June at retail when grays were a bit above retail. Its a nice watch that I enjoy but it is not a $25k watch.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:45 AM   #46
Screaminbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Can someone explain "the grey market" to me? Is this different from ebay/kijiji?
Screaminbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:50 AM   #47
cgaites
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Meaning of scarce direct from the Cambridge dictionary

Scarce: not easy to find or get, not easily available or rare.

Not to be a jerk, but being more expensive and being harder to get are the same thing. Assuming we are talking about time scales where nominal price and real price are equivalent, and are ignoring the impact of currency fluctuations across markets, when the price of something doubles that means that obtaining it requires twice the input of labor (in the case of earned income) or twice the return on investment (in the case of unearned income). It becomes, by definition, twice as "hard to get".

Price is the mechanism by which markets allocate limited resources. As such, price is inherent in the definition of scarcity. Given unlimited ability to pay relative to the purchasing power of the rest of the market, no material resources is scarce. Stated more simply, Jeff Bezos can have any Rolex he wants, but to me they are scarce.
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:54 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminbones View Post
Can someone explain "the grey market" to me? Is this different from ebay/kijiji?
There is really no grey market in Rolex products. All the watches are initially sold through authorized dealers (ADs). What is happening is some ADs (we hear) and a lot of retail purchasers are simply selling the watches to used watch dealers who then advertise them for sale on the internet. No its not different from eBay in that many of the re-sellers also sell over eBay.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote