The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #1
st8edge
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4K
Watch winder helping with accuracy?

Does keeping a watch on a watch winder when not being worn help it maintain accuracy. I have been keeping my GMT Master II 116710LN on an Orbita watch winder and it seems like the watch stays very accurate without gaining or losing seconds. Being a GMT it is easy to adjust the hour hand without stopping the watch when changing dates and daylight time settings. I had also heard others state that having a watch sit of the crown or flat makes a difference as well. Would anyone be able to enlighten me on this?
st8edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #2
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8edge View Post
Does keeping a watch on a watch winder when not being worn help it maintain accuracy. I have been keeping my GMT Master II 116710LN on an Orbita watch winder and it seems like the watch stays very accurate without gaining or losing seconds. Being a GMT it is easy to adjust the hour hand without stopping the watch when changing dates and daylight time settings. I had also heard others state that having a watch sit of the crown or flat makes a difference as well. Would anyone be able to enlighten me on this?
When the watch sits of the crown it will work slower than when it sits on caseback. When the watch sits of the 9 position when the crown is facing up, it will work even slower than when it sits of the crown.

Using a watchwinder is a good way to ruin the movement. All parts will be excessively worn out.

When you dont use your Rolex keep it inside the pouch where the watch will sit off the caseback which is the best position for the movement to have minimum wear as it will run most efficiently at that position. and let it stop after 55 hours of running, so all movement parts will have a chance to rest and there will be NO wear on any part once the watch stops.

The oils will not really dry out in a couple of days or even weeks. If your not wearing the watch its a good practice to manually wind it for 15 turns 2 times a month. You dont need a watchwinder.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:14 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post

Using a watchwinder is a good way to ruin the movement. All parts will be excessively worn out.
So does wearing the watch every day ruin the movement?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:14 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
When the watch sits of the crown it will work slower than when it sits on caseback. When the watch sits of the 9 position when the crown is facing up, it will work even slower than when it sits of the crown.

When you dont use your Rolex keep it inside the pouch where the watch will sit off the caseback which is the best position for the movement to have minimum wear as it will wear most efficiently. and let it stop after 55 hours of running, so all movement parts will have a chance to rest and there will be NO wear on any part once the watch stops.

The oils will not really dry out in a couple of days or even weeks. If your not wearing the watch its a good practice to manually wind it for 15 turns 2 times a month. You dont need a watchwinder.
How does a watch winder "ruin the movement?" Does wearing the watch also ruin the movement?
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

When you dont use your Rolex keep it inside the pouch where the watch will sit off the caseback which is the best position for the movement to have minimum wear as it will wear most efficiently. and let it stop after 55 hours of running, so all movement parts will have a chance to rest and there will be NO wear on any part once the watch stops.

There is so many points incorrect with this post I don’t know where to begin?

No, a watch winder doesn’t prematurely wear out your movement nor does it ruin a movement. I have had a Rolex Sub run constantly on a Orbita watch winder or my wrist for 15 years without servicing. Nonstop running and when it got its first routine service at the 15 year mark, it required nothing additional. The watch was even running and keeping +3 seconds a day when I sent it in for its routine service. This was well documented on the forum.

Currently I have a custom multi head programmable winder system for my entire collection.
I have used quality watch winders for about 30 years now.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Well....that’s what happens when you speak matter of fact about matters that aren’t fact.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #7
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
How does a watch winder "ruin the movement?" Does wearing the watch also ruin the movement?
All parts will be running and wearing out on a winder and the wear will be maximum...

When you dont wear the watch instead of using a winder if you let it stop and manually wind it 15-20 turns about 2 times a month will make the watch run only 2 days in 30 days. So the wear will be 15 times less than using the winder (grinder!!!). Easy mathematic..
Old 20 February 2020, 05:42 AM   #8
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There is so many points incorrect with this post I don’t know where to begin?

No, a watch winder doesn’t prematurely wear out your movement nor does it ruin a movement. I have had a Rolex Sub run constantly on a Orbita watch winder or my wrist for 15 years without servicing. Nonstop running and when it got its first routine service at the 15 year mark, it required nothing additional. The watch was even running and keeping +3 seconds a day when I sent it in for its routine service. This was well documented on the forum.

Currently I have a custom multi head programmable winder system for my entire collection.
I have used quality watch winders for about 30 years now.
Thats your choice. And, thanks for sharing your info. My Sub is also +3 sec per day. For me its better to keep things simple.
Old 20 February 2020, 05:58 AM   #9
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Let the games begin!
Old 20 February 2020, 06:00 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All parts will be running and wearing out on a winder and the wear will be maximum...

When you dont wear the watch instead of using a winder if you let it stop and manually wind it 15-20 turns about 2 times a month will make the watch run only 2 days in 30 days. So the wear will be 15 times less than using the winder (grinder!!!). Easy mathematic..
So I am not supposed to use my watch for fear of it wearing out?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 20 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I see no reason to put a Rolex on a watch winder, except the new annual calendar. Are you wearing out a watch by wearing it. Of course you are. It is a mechanical device and as with all mechanical devices wear and tear occurs as they run. Good news is the worn parts are replaced in a full service. Most watch companies advise if the watch is worn everyday it will need service more often than if not. What is the upside to a watch winder for a simple time/quick set date watch. I do not see it. I would much rather buy a watch 20 years rarely worn than one sitting on a watch winder for all those years. Will a winder increase accuracy? I doubt it. Just my view on it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:29 AM   #12
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I did not say that mate. I just recommened to keep the watch inside the pouch when you do not wear it instead of using a watch winder thats all.
Old 20 February 2020, 06:38 AM   #13
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

A watch winder is a convenience. For a person who occasionally lets a watch sit for a few days, such as over a weekend, and doesn't want to have to reset the watch every Monday morning, a winder is a great device to have. In that situation the extra 12 hours of use per week is not going to prematurely ruin the movement. Watches have service intervals that are based on a watch being used all day every day. As long as a watch is serviced at its recommended interval there is nothing wrong with a winder.

Now if a person maybe only wears a watch a day or two a month and wants to leave it on a winder at all other times, maybe the better approach would be to put it in the safe.

But no one should be under the impression that they are destroying their watch or ruining the movements by occasionally using a winder any more than we should be suggesting people should not be wearing their watches for fear of the same result.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:59 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did not say that mate. I just recommened to keep the watch inside the pouch when you do not wear it instead of using a watch winder thats all.
And if it is a daily wear watch am I wearing it out by keeping it running?
Old 20 February 2020, 07:09 AM   #15
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does keeping a watch on a watch winder when not being worn help it maintain accuracy.

I had also heard others state that having a watch sit of the crown or flat makes a difference as well. Would anyone be able to enlighten me on this?
Using a watch winder won't ruin a movement - utter nonsense. Why would Patek make a watch winder I wonder?

But to your point.... no, it won't generally help with accuracy - but see the point about self regulation (if you need to rest the watch in a particular position, then it might actually not help). But if you have a calendar function, or other complications, a watch winder is extremely useful to save you having to re-set complicated functions. I keep all my watches in winders for this reason. There is also a school of thought that suggests that keeping a movement running is good for the lubrication.

As to having your watch lie in a particular position - this is sometimes known as 'self regulation'. I do this and it makes a difference. My Rolex loses about 2 seconds a day - but left overnight, dial up, restores it to complete accuracy. I haven't adjusted it in months. In days of yore, Rolex used to explain self regulation with a small document along with the watch's guarantee.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 07:29 AM   #16
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ruin the movement.....utter rubbish. You shouldn't not be listened to.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:48 AM   #17
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Ruin the movement.....utter rubbish. You shouldn't not be listened to.
Earlier and excessive wear means ruinning to me. Already servicing the watch every 5 years does not change the fact at all. There are many factors and cases and some friends mentioned them. Mechanical watches are designed to work while being worn. Even your body temperature will affect the lubrication in good way comparing to the winder. When I write something, I support it with evidences and facts. Some listen some dont. You can not decide that. Everybody can think different, but you should respect first.

You can also read this article. There are many...

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/201...or-your-watch/
Old 21 February 2020, 02:59 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Earlier and excessive wear means ruinning to me. Already servicing the watch every 5 years does not change the fact at all. There are many factors and cases and some friends mentioned them. Mechanical watches are designed to work while being worn. Even your body temperature will affect the lubrication in good way comparing to the winder. When I write something, I support it with evidences and facts. Some listen some dont. You can not decide that. Everybody can think different, but you should respect first.

You can also read this article. There are many...

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/201...or-your-watch/
Thank you for posting the article, sadly the author seems to ignore several points

Quote:
So then putting the watch on a winder means the automatic winding system is effectively running, not getting any down time, and rotating for more than double its intended daily use.

Not true as most winders have a turns per day setting. The implication that "double" intended daily use is somehow a problem is not supported.

Quote:
Running a watch 24/7 does not really hinder its operation and that’s pretty much how they are designed to work, it’s the winding process running all the time and the large, heavyweight rotor at the back of the movement spinning around that causes the accelerated wear and tear.
So I ask you again, if a watch is a daily wear watch is that as bad as being on a winder?
Old 21 February 2020, 03:02 AM   #19
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Well....that’s what happens when you speak matter of fact about matters that aren’t fact.
That made me laugh out loud. Well done.

Agreed with everyone above saying that a winder won't prematurely wear out a watch compared to wearing daily. If anything a winder would be more gentle since there are no induced shocks.

Besides, most worn movement parts are included with an RSC service so it's not like cost is a factor.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:03 AM   #20
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
And if it is a daily wear watch am I wearing it out by keeping it running?
Buy 3 Rolexes (same model).
Keep one of them mostly inside pouch and manually wind it twice a month and also wear it a few day a month very gently for 5-10 years.

Daily wear the second one for that amount of time.

Leave the third one inside the winder for that amount of time.

Get all of those 3 same identical watches serviced, take a loop and inspect the movements and note which one needed what parts to be replaced.

Then with the information you have you can answer your own question. Because I will not be able to persuade you.

Cheers
Old 21 February 2020, 03:07 AM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I will not be able to persuade you.
Exactly, the facts you presented do not support the thread

Best of luck in not using your watches
Old 21 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Buy 3 Rolexes (same model).
Keep one of them mostly inside pouch and manually wind it twice a month and also wear it a few day a month very gently for 5-10 years.

Daily wear the second one for that amount of time.

Leave the third one inside the winder for that amount of time.

Get all of those 3 same identical watches serviced, take a loop and inspect the movements and note which one needed what parts to be replaced.

Then with the information you have you can answer your own question. Because I will not be able to persuade you.

Cheers
If all three go 5-10 years until the next service, all three could need the same parts replaced or none at all. Your example doesn't prove one method being advantageous over another in terms of parts wear. There are simply too many factors involved.

You'll also need a much larger test sample size to rule out coincidence. One of each isn't enough for scientific testing.

Assuming a movement failure and no external issues, Rolex will charge the same to service all three anyway.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 04:48 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Does keeping a watch on a watch winder when not being worn help it maintain accuracy. I have been keeping my GMT Master II 116710LN on an Orbita watch winder and it seems like the watch stays very accurate without gaining or losing seconds. . . .
Good grief, there is a lot of opinion in this thread.

The answer to your question is, yes. Being on a winder keeps the watch at a set state of wind, so the amplitude and regularity of the movement will be stable. If it is wound before putting it on the winder so that it is in it's optimum power setting, it will be accurate and consistent. A worn watch encounters inconsistent winding, lateral loading, and hammering, so it will not be as stable as on a winder.

However, it is also true that a watch that is always running is slowly grinding itself into dust - it is incurring maximum wear. A watch that is not running is incurring zero wear.

Naturally, a winder will not add more wear than a watch worn every day.
Old 21 February 2020, 04:58 AM   #24
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
He means that if you're not wearing a watch for a long period there's no need to have it sitting on a winder. let it stop. A non running watch lives longer, he's right it's common sense.
Quote:
Old 21 February 2020, 05:07 AM   #25
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I read that the newer Rolexes feature synthetic oils in their movements, so they won't necessarily dry out from not being used. They also last much longer than the older ones.

I think a little common sense goes a long way. Rotate your watches every now and then (all the more reason to buy more... or something like that...) and assuming you take care of them properly they'll last a long time.
Old 21 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #26
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:

This is, of course, nonsense.

Have had my watches on winders for north of 30 years. No problems.

Orbita is an excellent brand.

Carry on, I would say.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 05:28 AM   #27
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
He means that if you're not wearing a watch for a long period there's no need to have it sitting on a winder. let it stop. A non running watch lives longer, he's right it's common sense.
That was not my question.

Many people wear their watches every day, they are constantly running. His statement of:

"Using a watchwinder is a good way to ruin the movement. All parts will be excessively worn out" implies that Rolex or any other watchmaker does not want their watches to be running all the time for fear of "ruining" the movement.

I have asked this several times without answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Naturally, a winder will not add more wear than a watch worn every day.
Agreed and thank you
Old 21 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #28
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
That was not my question.

Many people wear their watches every day, they are constantly running. His statement of:

"Using a watchwinder is a good way to ruin the movement. All parts will be excessively worn out" implies that Rolex or any other watchmaker does not want their watches to be running all the time for fear of "ruining" the movement.

I have asked this several times without answer.

Ah ok so I’m this case the answer is simple, the more a watch is worn the more the movement will be worn out and the sooner it will require a service.
If a watch runs for 10 years is gonna be different than a watch that has been working for half that time.
The idea he wanted to convey is that having multiple watches is good in the sense that they alternate wrist time and therefore last longer before they need a device. Putting them on a winder would eliminate that advantage. It’s not wrong though but it makes sense somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2020, 06:50 AM   #29
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
The logic is flawless.
Therefore I am now convinced that I need to add more watches in my collection in order to extend the working life of each watch.
Old 21 February 2020, 05:30 PM   #30
nda
"TRF" Member

Cars that aren't driven have more mechanical issues than cars that are.

I collect cars, so have an interest in the subject. It's certainly the case that 'garage queens' that have very little mileage on them usually require a great deal of attention Vs those that are driven regularly which subsequently see huge mileages on the dials and are usually more reliable.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote