The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2013, 11:01 PM   #1
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

114060 - where is the love?

Hi All,

I have really enjoyed my short time here on the forum, learning - gaining appreciation for these watches. For me i think its a no date sub. and I thank everyone for the help and feedback along the way to that.

My question is about the 114060. I see alot of posts and comments from people who are not really happy with it, but i would like to hear from some out there who love theirs.

I completely get that the 14060m is the "classic" or at least the latest "classic"..and frankly I share that view, it does seem to have a more timeless profile...but the upgrades in quality of the new watch and bracelet are undeniable.

Could it be that this new design is simply just too new, but will come to be accepted and loved as the new normal, or does anyone think its a flop, and Rolex will backtrack to smaller lugs and a rounder profile?

I would like to fast forward 5 years and read the posts after this new case has been around a while. From what very little I know, it seems that Rolex is very slow and methodical to change, and rarely if ever reverse course, so I have to have faith that this is the new design standard and will become the preferred favorite over time when the next iteration presents. (Just a thought....would like to here comments from those who know know much more than me and have seen it all.

This all comes down to which is right for me....complicating it is that a NIB 14060 is a bit hard to find, and if I do get the 114060, i dont to feel like i "settled"

Probably overthinking it....this forum will do that to a newbie :)
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2013, 11:35 PM   #2
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I think over time, the 114060 will become more accepted, not least of all as some of the older models become ever more rare and more expensive. It is a beautiful and very well constructed watch and easily does everything the older versions did, at no detriment.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

thats well said..thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
I think over time, the 114060 will become more accepted, not least of all as some of the older models become ever more rare and more expensive. It is a beautiful and very well constructed watch and easily does everything the older versions did, at no detriment.
Old 28 February 2013, 11:52 PM   #4
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
having 14060m and love it for the old design, I would think the new model will do ok in sales for a watch w/o date.
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
It's an excellent watch. However when I would switch back and forth between my Sub Dates (SS&C) the C was just too flashy for me. I like that the SS flys under the radar.
Old 1 March 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Hmm

The posts I see are from folks who love the watch.

What's wrong with it...besides the price? ;-)
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think there will be always those that like the old, those that like the new, and the rest of the general population who probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

The way I see it, the main deciding factor is how you feel about the 2 models. I would recommend getting the one you like best, regardless of whether it happens to be the latest model or whether the style may reflect the future "trend."

I appreciate that getting a NIB 14060 may be more difficult via the AD route and if this is important to you, then the decision may have been made for you.

Anyway, good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up getting.

PS: I'm happy with my 116610!
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:27 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
I see alot of posts and comments from people who are not really happy with it, but i would like to hear from some out there who love theirs.
Really? I don't recall reading many negative comments? In fact, I can't think of many who have flipped it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:31 AM   #9
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks !

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangel View Post
I think there will be always those that like the old, those that like the new, and the rest of the general population who probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

The way I see it, the main deciding factor is how you feel about the 2 models. I would recommend getting the one you like best, regardless of whether it happens to be the latest model or whether the style may reflect the future "trend."

I appreciate that getting a NIB 14060 may be more difficult via the AD route and if this is important to you, then the decision may have been made for you.

Old 1 March 2013, 12:36 AM   #10
smalls
"TRF" Member

Love mine!! The updates to it are substantial.

smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:39 AM   #11
skyman51
Banned

Watch: 114060 ND SUB C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Really? I don't recall reading many negative comments? In fact, I can't think of many who have flipped it.
I agree. I think I can speak with some authority as I have been wearing Rolex sport watches for over 35 years. I have had just about all of them including several Daytonas. The 114060 ND SUB C IMO is the best one I have ever owned. Looks fantastic ( no one is ever going to see the difference from the old style. I think that is nit picking) The flat crystal, ceramic bezel and that awesome bracelet does it for me. It is the most comfortable Rolex sport watch I have owned. As I said in a previous post, if I want to know the date I will look at my cell phone. I love this watch.
skyman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

a agree and I appreciate your saying it..as I am leaning heavily toward this watch, and its a big deal purchase for me, i dont plan to own a ton of them.

However as someone with no authority, but is attuned into this subject..so I am scouring the comments trying to absorb and learn abit, there is a good amount of negative sentiment --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman51 View Post

I agree. I think I can speak with some authority as I have been wearing Rolex sport watches for over 35 years. I have had just about all of them including several Daytonas. The 114060 ND SUB C IMO is the best one I have ever owned. Looks fantastic ( no one is ever going to see the difference from the old style. I think that is nit picking) The flat crystal, ceramic bezel and that awesome bracelet does it for me. It is the most comfortable Rolex sport watch I have owned. As I said in a previous post, if I want to know the date I will look at my cell phone. I love this watch.
Old 1 March 2013, 01:02 AM   #13
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Seabreeze,
Still undecided I see. I wish you luck with the decision, as you are finding out it won't be an easy one. Once you do decide though... don't look back!! I'm sure it won't be long until you post your first pictures of your new baby.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 01:18 AM   #14
Grey.Coupe
"TRF" Member

Get the new one...they're both beautiful, but the new one is more comfortable on the wrist, and the bracelet is terrific.
Grey.Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 01:28 AM   #15
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I would get the new one if cost was not an issue
They upgraded it for a reason
Its a better watch functionally and this is a tool watch
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 01:37 AM   #16
Ugaexploder

Watch: 116400GV
The ceramic sub is very nice. I also enjoy the blue lume over the green...even though our eyes are more sensitive to green than blue. I can also echo similar sentiments that I would have considered the 114060 if it weren't for price. I feel that it wasn't worth the substantial increase in price although the design is very beautiful and updated.
Ugaexploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 01:45 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The new Sub C ND is a great update of a classic, but it lacks the smooth graceful lug/case lines of the original iconic Sub. Now, some people LOVE the new chunkier, bigger design, others don't. I'm a little more old-school and I flipped my Sub C ND because I couldn't get used to those fat lugs. Still, I'll probably end up with another one at some point because it's still beautiful.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 02:54 AM   #18
jay1988
"TRF" Member

I've not read a bad word about it. I could read a scathing opinion on it from a leading watch expert and I wouldn't care. I love mine and it's not going anywhere.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 06:52 AM   #19
Rocco22
Banned

Watch: Hulk,114060,14060
I've had many 14060s and a few 114060s and the 114060 is by far my favorite of the two,although I love both the 114060 just feels so much better cause its solid and sharper looking to me anyways.both are great though.
Rocco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 06:55 AM   #20
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
like many here I'm old school.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 07:10 AM   #21
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I bought a new 114060 last summer from the first Rolex AD I visited that had one in stock.
The changes from the previous model are significant and I especially appreciate the bracelet upgrades.
I still appreciate the 14060M but the new 114060 is presently my daily wear Rolex.
Other than the price, I don't what what is not to love about the no-date SubC!
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 07:34 AM   #22
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
like many here I'm old school.
Me To
Old 1 March 2013, 08:45 AM   #23
herbalt
"TRF" Member

Get the 114060. It will be your first and maybe only Rolex for a while as you said, and as its just been released it starts its journey when you start yours.

I'd prefer to start with the latest evolution. When they change the design again 15-30 years from now you can be one of the guys pining for the old days of the now "classic thick lugs, classic flip lock bracelet, and classic ceramic bezel".
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 08:48 AM   #24
herbalt
"TRF" Member

*i meant "Glide-lock bracelet"
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 09:00 AM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Hmm

The posts I see are from folks who love the watch.

What's wrong with it...besides the price? ;-)
I have the date and see much love for the ND but get the C as the upgrades significantly improve the quality of the watch, otherwise get the Omega PO for extra value.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:34 PM   #26
tudorluv
"TRF" Member

I love mine :) I think it's just great for any occasion.

I fully understand the classic sub (non ceramic, lug holes) has it's wide and loyal fanbase as well.
tudorluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:42 PM   #27
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
This 114060 is freaking amazing. It's an incredible Sub and you would not be disappointed with it. It's my daily wearer, and the only other watch I'd consider letting go of for is the new Explorer II. However, this 114060 is an INCREDIBLE watch.

Like most have said, I hardly see a bad thing written/spoken about it. Ever.

Mine joy-riding today!
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:44 PM   #28
stuffgeek
"TRF" Member

The 114060 is the true evolution of the 5513 though it should have been 42mm.
stuffgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 12:55 PM   #29
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Nothing negative to say about the 114060. This SUBMARINER is Brilliant!!
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 03:07 PM   #30
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

The 114060 is powerful enough to keep the white gold Submariner off my wrist for close to a month. Just a little example of how much I enjoy this reference...
mvmbles is offline   Reply With Quote