The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2018, 03:16 AM   #1
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Sea Dweller 43 "Mark I vs. Mark II" dials

There have been reports of Rolex altering the dial of the 126600 Sea Dweller where a coronet was added between the "Swiss Made" text at the 6 o'clock periphery of the dial. This additional coronet marking has made it's way onto several watch dials, specifically those models and dial variations introduced in 2018. The SD43 was introduced in 2017 and did not feature the coronet, even though it did house the newer 3235 movement.

Initially, several reports "on the internet" stated that the addition of the coronet will be placed on Rolex models to signify the new updated movements and escapements. There have also been some photos posted on social media with the coronet seen on the SD43 dial.

The absence or presence of a coronet on the SD43 doesn't matter much to me either way, but I am curious about the validity of the dial change.

Have any of you seen firsthand a Sea Dweller 43 with the coronet featured between the Swiss Made text? I don't mean seeing a photo of one, but actually seeing it in person.

Have a great weekend!

Old 8 September 2018, 03:25 AM   #2
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Sea Dweller 43 "Mark I vs. Mark II" dials

No one has because it doesn’t exists. lol
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 03:46 AM   #3
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I've yet to see one...Mine is a "Mark 1"
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 03:48 AM   #4
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
It does. Has a coronet in the middle of Swiss Made.
Has been posted on here on TRF.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 03:59 AM   #5
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Why not PM this member and see if he can convince you?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=621924
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 04:00 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
One of the members here has posted that they’ve seen on in the flesh, I believe at least one person on TRF has a Mark II dial themselves too.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 04:01 AM   #7
Rocket launcher
Banned

Think what value will be placed on mark 1
Will be like the flat 4 on the kermits worth a lot more...time will tell
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:10 AM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
yeah, i wont believe it until i see it on the rolex website
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:47 AM   #9
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
There have been reports of Rolex altering the dial of the 126600 Sea Dweller where a coronet was added between the "Swiss Made" text at the 6 o'clock periphery of the dial. This additional coronet marking has made it's way onto several watch dials, specifically those models and dial variations introduced in 2018. The SD43 was introduced in 2017 and did not feature the coronet, even though it did house the newer 3235 movement.

Initially, several reports "on the internet" stated that the addition of the coronet will be placed on Rolex models to signify the new updated movements and escapements. There have also been some photos posted on social media with the coronet seen on the SD43 dial.

The absence or presence of a coronet on the SD43 doesn't matter much to me either way, but I am curious about the validity of the dial change.

Have any of you seen firsthand a Sea Dweller 43 with the coronet featured between the Swiss Made text? I don't mean seeing a photo of one, but actually seeing it in person.

Have a great weekend!

You could buy one here on TRF.... Here is the forsale thread and below is the pic: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=sd43

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:51 AM   #10
rl96701
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I have personally seen a MK2 dial in person in Tokyo Japan at a grey dealer
rl96701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:53 AM   #11
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I'm sure we'll see more of them as the MKI inventory is sold..
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 06:03 AM   #12
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Think what value will be placed on mark 1
Will be like the flat 4 on the kermits worth a lot more...time will tell
The Mk1/Mk1 16610LV is a classic design in comparison. Some tried claiming a similar outcome with Mk1 dials on the early 166600 DSSD and nothing happened. This one will be pretty hard to predict.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 06:10 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It’s really splitting hairs on a modern Rolex. My bet considering how many are out there that the value will be nominal.
Old 8 September 2018, 06:17 AM   #14
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
The Mk1/Mk1 16610LV is a classic design in comparison. Some tried claiming a similar outcome with Mk1 dials on the early 166600 DSSD and nothing happened. This one will be pretty hard to predict.
The Main difference here is 2017 being the 50th anniversary of the SD, so the MKI dial becomes the 'true 50th anniversary' model if that matters.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 06:56 AM   #15
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I hadn't seen those "for sale" listings until now, but those pics look of much better quality than the others I had seen previously.

I read the descriptions of different dials, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Thanks for helping to clear it up for me!
Old 8 September 2018, 02:14 PM   #16
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Saw one at HK grey dealer
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 03:22 PM   #17
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

I owned one w the crown dial for a brief time. yes they exist lol.
Old 8 September 2018, 03:55 PM   #18
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17noir View Post
Saw one at HK grey dealer
a photo would be nice.
Old 8 September 2018, 04:30 PM   #19
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
I own a MKII version. Theres a similar thread

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...65&postcount=5
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:07 PM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
yeah, i wont believe it until i see it on the rolex website
I understand it does indeed exist as we've seen pics posted by members of the forum with their own watch.

Further to this.
The Rolex website can be a number of years out of date/well behind the times as they don't bother to update pics which are for all intents and purposes good representations of the watch.
It was the case with the pics on the Rolex website for the 116660 until its replacement at basel this year. The pics were of a MK II dial right through the entire MKIII production.

I don't think Rolex will worry about what amounts to a microscopic and insignificant change right at the bottom of the dial.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:37 PM   #21
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I understand it does indeed exist as we've seen pics posted by members of the forum with their own watch.

Further to this.
The Rolex website can be a number of years out of date/well behind the times as they don't bother to update pics which are for all intents and purposes good representations of the watch.
It was the case with the pics on the Rolex website for the 116660 until its replacement at basel this year. The pics were of a MK II dial right through the entire MKIII production.

I don't think Rolex will worry about what amounts to a microscopic and insignificant change right at the bottom of the dial.
....That only watch nerds and speculators notice and bet their first born on.
Does anybody even buy watches they actually like anymore, I do. At arms length I can't see the mini coronet at six on my 126660, unless of course I specifically look for just that one detail and not the time or date or decide to admire the dial, because of all those things, the one thing to look at is the second smallest printed item on the dial at the most obscure location unless using a loop or macro close up picture.

We all want to be special and elite, to have what nobody has, so we can feel better about whatever it is you chose. Unfortunately this Mk1 dial was not sold for only one year, and we will never be able to confirm the date of production, and with random serials we will never be able to attribute the detail to a serial number. All we can know is that if you bought the watch in the first year, that it can indeed be a 50th anniversary watch and anything sold after is the same watch just sold outside it's anniversary year, which shouldn't matter. But if that helps someone sleep better, applaud the guy, this way the alternative would endanger the public with sleepy Rolex owners driving our roads endangering himself and others.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 05:44 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
There is a Mk111 dial out now the R in rolex has a slightly different font.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 07:23 PM   #23
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

wonderful news!
Old 8 September 2018, 07:28 PM   #24
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just spotted. MkIII error dial worth millions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mkIII_error.jpg (196.4 KB, 2305 views)
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 09:36 PM   #25
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Ok I admit. I don’t really get the dial thing... I kinda sorta get it for vintage. But modern? Pass. Just gimme a nice clean working watch and I’m happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 September 2018, 10:19 PM   #26
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Based on the past of other Rolex Models … the MKI will bring a premium in the future you can bet on it.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 11:07 PM   #27
Frant
"TRF" Member

It's so funny how people hopes for premium on MK1 )) Let's be honest: difference is minimal and MK2 with coronet just looks a little better.

And how about this: SD 50th anniversary is fully completed only with MK2 dial - because coronet points on updated movement. No coronet dial looks like an error.

So. No premium for MK1.
Frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 12:09 AM   #28
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
There have been reports of Rolex altering the dial of the 126600 Sea Dweller where a coronet was added between the "Swiss Made" text at the 6 o'clock periphery of the dial. This additional coronet marking has made it's way onto several watch dials, specifically those models and dial variations introduced in 2018. The SD43 was introduced in 2017 and did not feature the coronet, even though it did house the newer 3235 movement. Initially, several reports "on the internet" stated that the addition of the coronet will be placed on Rolex models to signify the new updated movements and escapements. There have also been some photos posted on social media with the coronet seen on the SD43 dial. The absence or presence of a coronet on the SD43 doesn't matter much to me either way, but I am curious about the validity of the dial change. Have any of you seen firsthand a Sea Dweller 43 with the coronet featured between the Swiss Made text? I don't mean seeing a photo of one, but actually seeing it in person. Have a great weekend!
Hi Dean,

I actually like the cleaner, slightly more symmetrical look of the Mk1 dial (without the crown between 'Swiss Made'). I like the way the 'Swiss Made' lettering seems better positioned between the minute markers on the 1st edition dial. Also, imho, the '29' and '31' minute-markers also look slightly better occurring below the lettering rather than above it. But, obviously, my opinion only, and these are seriously 'negligible' items in the grand scheme of things, lol. I think most aspiring SD43 owners would be happy with either dial. Kind regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 12:17 AM   #29
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Does the crown at 6 not represent a newer movement inside, if so, has this model now got a different movement. On the Rolex website they have updated the GMT models, some have the original movement and some have the newer. Even the white gold BLRO with new blue dial is still advertised as having 3186 but the rose gold has the 3285. It looks as if Rolex has a lot of the older movements that they are selling before upgrading.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 12:37 AM   #30
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
Does the crown at 6 not represent a newer movement inside, if so, has this model now got a different movement. On the Rolex website they have updated the GMT models, some have the original movement and some have the newer. Even the white gold BLRO with new blue dial is still advertised as having 3186 but the rose gold has the 3285. It looks as if Rolex has a lot of the older movements that they are selling before upgrading.
The SD43 has been fitted with the new movement since its original debut at the 2017 Basel show. It's only been since the 2018 Basel World show that they are now using the supplementary crown on the dial to signify a new movement.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote