The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 October 2021, 09:57 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Citizen NY0040-17LE

Citizen NY0040-17LE

I was surprised to spot this model, it caught my eye. I was drawn to the automatic movement in a low priced watch... I didn't know that Citizen made such a thing. I also found the crown at 8 o'clock to be kind of cool. I like the dimensions a great deal- 41x12, and it wears small. I like the crown at 8, you don’t feel it at all, though setting the date, time, etc is a little tricky when you're used to the conventional spot at 3 o'clock. It rattles when changing the day, but this is an inexpensive watch, shall we say an "affordable" watch. The blue band is very subtle, a lil stiff when putting it on or off or slipping it through the keeper/holders, but wears comfortably on the wrist. The dial is subtle too...it has a lot of charm!!! It is often compared to the Seiko SKX line. I think the Seiko has been discontinued and I think this Promaster is discontinued as well. They can be found though. Whatever your finances are, this watch lives up to the many reviews that heap praise on it. It's a cool, unique piece...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2970.jpeg (176.6 KB, 172 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:20 AM   #2
jonnythrust
"TRF" Member

As a divers watch that looks pretty decent. Big fan of the no deco time stamped on the strap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
jonnythrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythrust View Post
As a divers watch that looks pretty decent. Big fan of the no deco time stamped on the strap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I'm not a diver but think it looks cool, adds a little pizazz lol...
Old 30 November 2021, 01:15 PM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Nice! I just picked one up yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival. I was drawn to the sunburst blue dial. It's usually not my deal.

It will be added to my Asia travel companion, SKX 009.
AF_Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 02:27 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have a similar Citizen diver, but my crown is at the 4pm site.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:33 PM   #6
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Nice! I just picked one up yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival. I was drawn to the sunburst blue dial. It's usually not my deal.

It will be added to my Asia travel companion, SKX 009.
I am absolutely loving this watch, way more than I expected... and the blue dial and band are very subtle. Seemingly very well designed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Promaster.jpeg (196.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 30 November 2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Promaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Promaster world is very new to me, and I was really missing out on a lot...
Old 5 December 2021, 01:25 AM   #8
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I am absolutely loving this watch, way more than I expected... and the blue dial and band are very subtle. Seemingly very well designed...

I ended up sending it back. When I opened it up and looked at it, something about it hit me flat.

I like the size. The bezel is OK. I don’t feel I had unrealistic expectations for a watch at that price point. It just hit me as, “meh”. You know what I mean?

If I didn’t already have the SKX009, I probably would have kept it. Is the movement in the Citizen better, yes. Is the size (for me) better, yes. Can it stand under its own merit in a collection of higher end pieces, yes it can.

It’s a good looking watch, especially that sunburst deep blue dial.

However, everything else from lume, hands, indices, dial clarity, didn’t measure up to the Seiko for me. Perhaps, I’m just used to the SKX. Additionally, I added an aftermarket lumed sapphire bezel to my Seiko which takes it up a notch in functionality.

In the end, I couldn’t justify $200+ USD for doubling up on a weekend diver that “isn’t as good” in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2021, 03:51 AM   #9
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
is it automatic or the solar powered model that is so popular?
Old 5 December 2021, 03:59 AM   #10
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I ended up sending it back. When I opened it up and looked at it, something about it hit me flat.

I like the size. The bezel is OK. I don’t feel I had unrealistic expectations for a watch at that price point. It just hit me as, “meh”. You know what I mean?

If I didn’t already have the SKX009, I probably would have kept it. Is the movement in the Citizen better, yes. Is the size (for me) better, yes. Can it stand under its own merit in a collection of higher end pieces, yes it can.

It’s a good looking watch, especially that sunburst deep blue dial.

However, everything else from lume, hands, indices, dial clarity, didn’t measure up to the Seiko for me. Perhaps, I’m just used to the SKX. Additionally, I added an aftermarket lumed sapphire bezel to my Seiko which takes it up a notch in functionality.

In the end, I couldn’t justify $200+ USD for doubling up on a weekend diver that “isn’t as good” in my eyes.

it's my only diver right now. I have had bad luck w 7S26 powered Seikos... I think I owned an SKX awhile ago... they have died on my wrist or shortly after when off the wrist. I was pretty surprised at the power reserve and accuracy I'm getting on the Citizen. It's a fun and cheap watch in my eyes. But it seems you have that part of your collection covered... I have lost thousands in this game, so the idea of getting some enjoyment out of an inexpensive watch is just great. It hasn't left my wrist since it arrived 5 weeks ago, so I feel I got my money's worth already...
Old 5 December 2021, 04:58 AM   #11
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
it's my only diver right now. I have had bad luck w 7S26 powered Seikos... I think I owned an SKX awhile ago... they have died on my wrist or shortly after when off the wrist. I was pretty surprised at the power reserve and accuracy I'm getting on the Citizen. It's a fun and cheap watch in my eyes. But it seems you have that part of your collection covered... I have lost thousands in this game, so the idea of getting some enjoyment out of an inexpensive watch is just great. It hasn't left my wrist since it arrived 5 weeks ago, so I feel I got my money's worth already...

I do have the cheap/fun watch covered. Like you and many others, I’ve lost a lot in this game. I thought, why add more?

Thankfully, that good luck with the SKX, which already takes wrist time away from my Rolexes. Seems like I only wear them on the weekdays now. They are smaller size and fit better in the office environment.