The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2021, 06:58 AM   #91
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Oh, and the "LVMH" in the year on the caseback is incredibly tacky.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #92
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I would collect it at retail or up to $100k gray. Other then that, I don't think so.

Therefore I am out :). Would say the same for the green one too...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:04 AM   #93
BrunoMalik
Banned

Tiffany limited edition 5711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Wonder when LVMH buys Patek..

I think it might be done already.

Patek does not create “170th anniversary” models. Its usually 175, 200 etc. Also, while Tiffany stamp on the dial is a tradition, the LVMH logo on the caseback is a surprise. They dont just print a conglomerate logo on their casebacks.

This to me feels like an unofficial release to celebrate LVMHs purchase of Patek. Remember, Bernard Arnault tried to buy Patek twice before, in 2014 and 2018. Maybe Sterns finally decided to exit at the hight of the watch market.

I expect the details to be released soon.

Edit: Add the fact that the release was not done via traditional watch media like Hodinkee or Monochrome, but via business media like CNBC and NY Times. This is a foreshadowing of the bigger corporate deal to be announced soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:08 AM   #94
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I realize there's a lot of doom and gloomers out there, and this will sound like it, but...

If LVMH buys Patek, I consider it to be the death of Patek for us, long term.

Hublot has been a success in LVMH's eyes.

They've already been making procedural and policy changes internally at Tiffany that make it so that Tiffany is not what it once was. Patek will go the same way.

This isn't a company that likes to be hands off (ala Disney x Pixar when Disney bought Pixar).

Just look at who is CEO of Tiffany now.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:14 AM   #95
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I 100 percent believe arnault will buy Patek. The valuation has to be borderline unbelievable compared to where Patek stood 5-6 years ago before IG and crypto took watches on a moonshot. I wouldn’t blame Thierry for cashing out.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:18 AM   #96
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I 100 percent believe arnault will buy Patek. The valuation has to be borderline unbelievable compared to where Patek stood 5-6 years ago before IG and crypto took watches on a moonshot. I wouldn’t blame Thierry for cashing out.
Agreed. I would be disappointed, but I definitely would not blame him. The valuations are absurd. Cash out at the top if your heart's not in it.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:20 AM   #97
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
love it

to BrunoMalik, you raise a very interesting question regarding the announcement decisions.

(FYI, my quote function doesn't work in this terrible surface pro that i am forced to use at the moment.)
Old 7 December 2021, 07:21 AM   #98
BrunoMalik
Banned

Quote:

So the rumored bid in 2018 was $10bn. The sterns declined it. What do you think the bid is now? $20bn? 30bn?…

Old 7 December 2021, 07:27 AM   #99
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
So the rumored bid in 2018 was $10bn. The sterns declined it. What do you think the bid is now? $20bn? 30bn?…
Would not surprise me if it was $20B.

I also have confirmation on the $10B bid in 2018.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:33 AM   #100
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cash out and do what.
But maybe I'm wrong, He said he don't want Patek to be about one particular watch then bring out a green and now a Tiffany dial.
Moving on trend and creating a stir, no publicity is bad publicity.
Lets be honest, they have broke the internet today but maybe this is a new chapter for Patek.
Personally, Tiffany is a love to all women they should of maybe brought it out on the 7118 or the twenty 4 but to do it on the 5711 when people thought the green was the last roll of the dice just seems odd and untrustworthy.
They go on about flippers, buying watches and then reselling them but to make a statement that the green will be the last run and bring out a even more exclusive piece is just dishonest
However if I could get a Tiffany would I buy it YES
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:35 AM   #101
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I think it would need to be more probably in excess of 25 if not 30 billion
Old 7 December 2021, 07:37 AM   #102
BrunoMalik
Banned

Tiffany limited edition 5711

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

So based on Morgan Stanleys research note earlier this year, Patek had revenues of CHF 1.16bn in 2020. They will probably generate CHF 1.4-1.5bn in 2021.

If the bid is indeed $20bn, it would put the Price/Sales multiple at 12x. That is actually not that crazy considering that Ferrai’s 2021 P/S multiple is around 11x.

With that mind, im thinking it needs to be $25-30bn.

Old 7 December 2021, 07:39 AM   #103
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Yes, a very cheap looking printed crystal with the letters "LVMH" included in the '2021' lettering.
Just noticed that, terrible. It's a billboard of words, there's a book on the backside so the owner feels special?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:41 AM   #104
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
So based on Morgan Stanleys research note earlier this year, Patek had revenues of CHF 1.16bn in 2020. They will probably generate CHF 1.4-1.5bn in 2021.

If the bid is indeed $20bn, it would put the Price/Sales multiple at 12x. That is actually not that crazy considering that Ferrai’s 2021 P/S multiple is around 11x.

With that mind, im thinking it needs to be $25-30bn.
Seems to make sense.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:49 AM   #105
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Cash out and do what.
But maybe I'm wrong, He said he don't want Patek to be about one particular watch then bring out a green and now a Tiffany dial.
Moving on trend and creating a stir, no publicity is bad publicity.
Lets be honest, they have broke the internet today but maybe this is a new chapter for Patek.
Personally, Tiffany is a love to all women they should of maybe brought it out on the 7118 or the twenty 4 but to do it on the 5711 when people thought the green was the last roll of the dice just seems odd and untrustworthy.
They go on about flippers, buying watches and then reselling them but to make a statement that the green will be the last run and bring out a even more exclusive piece is just dishonest
However if I could get a Tiffany would I buy it YES

No clue whatever he wants I guess. Maybe focus on Philanthropy? I don’t know what’s going on in his head.

I guess I just mean if he plans to ever sell now feels like an opportune moment. I have no horse in the race. Don’t care what he does. Independent is best but it’s his business.
Old 7 December 2021, 07:50 AM   #106
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Only one thing standing in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 December 2021, 08:11 AM   #107
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
We can't say this is a surprise really?

Would I take one, sure I'll love to own a Nautilus...

Everyone is easily able to predict what this is going to be priced at on the re-sale market... well north $1 million US. If not $ 2 million US.

It's just astronomical not only how much these would re-sale for but the thought that majority of the people that will be offered this watch would just buy it knowing that the will easily make a $1 million off it.

Definition of the rich getting richer. Patek should just action each one of these off and have the proceeds (minus the "MSRP" of the watch) go to a charity.

I fail to see why they need to or should offer it to "VIP" clients. You want the watch enough, go pay the market value of it in the auction and the "flip" goes to a proper charity benefiting people that need it.

I find Patek knowing this fact and not creating a proper statement is more outrageous than the watch itself.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:15 AM   #108
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Only one thing standing in the way.

His wife wants more
Old 7 December 2021, 08:24 AM   #109
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Four locations
170 units
A lot of watches
Some people will be very lucky
here is my allocation - 150 for NYC, 10 for SF and 2 for hawaii (some Japanese billionaires) :) unsure where the last location is but they will have the other few :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:28 AM   #110
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
We can't say this is a surprise really?

Would I take one, sure I'll love to own a Nautilus...

Everyone is easily able to predict what this is going to be priced at on the re-sale market... well north $1 million US. If not $ 2 million US.

It's just astronomical not only how much these would re-sale for but the thought that majority of the people that will be offered this watch would just buy it knowing that the will easily make a $1 million off it.

Definition of the rich getting richer. Patek should just action each one of these off and have the proceeds (minus the "MSRP" of the watch) go to a charity.

I fail to see why they need to or should offer it to "VIP" clients. You want the watch enough, go pay the market value of it in the auction and the "flip" goes to a proper charity benefiting people that need it.

I find Patek knowing this fact and not creating a proper statement more outrageous than the watch itself.
why would they not create a watch to celebrate one of the oldest ADs for their 170th anniversary?
Do I get upset that I can't get an aquanaut - maybe. but obviously this watch is to go to the most deserving clients - I also dont get upset about their sky moon allocations.
It's not like I am expecting a GT2RS after buying a few macans over the years.
Old 7 December 2021, 08:29 AM   #111
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was thinking modern PP is more appropriate for Richemont ownership. LVMH is a bit more upscale.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #112
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
why would they not create a watch to celebrate one of the oldest ADs for their 170th anniversary?
Do I get upset that I can't get an aquanaut - maybe. but obviously this watch is to go to the most deserving clients - I also dont get upset about their sky moon allocations.
It's not like I am expecting a GT2RS after buying a few macans over the years.
I'm not commenting on why they did it or who is it actually going to get it. It's all pretty obvious.

The green Nautilus is pretty obvious example of higher production version of this "special" edition. More than a few will be slipping through the cracks into the public market while some others will quietly get sold in the private market. Greed is pretty evident and 100% many are going to capitalize on this and make more than a few bucks to pad their bank account.

What I'm saying is knowing that this is surely the case. Why have your so called Tiffany VIPs make the million and pocket it. Auction every allocation off and use the proceeds to a charity (not just that one watch).

... I'm not on the camp to stop flipping, etc. like all those regular production Nautilus watches or even stainless steel Rolex. I could care less and I do believe in the free market; but for a "special" piece like this... even if the watch was meant to be a hype piece, Patek has a way better opportunity demonstrate what their brand is (or could be) about and contribute to a better cause.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:53 AM   #113
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm picking allocation up next week
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:54 AM   #114
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
After seeing this goofy watch and all, I would love LVMH or Richemont to buy PP. I find it pretty embarrassing.

After subtracting out all of the ones that go to despots and robber barons, I supposed the regular Uber Rich can get theirs? -Makes Ferrari seem downright altruistic in comparison.

I’m going to light a candle tonight and pray that Apple keeps doing their thing.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:54 AM   #115
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshake View Post
I'm picking allocation up next week
Let’s get ready for a new round of “Incoming…” threads!
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:00 AM   #116
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I like it. Fingers crossed.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:09 AM   #117
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Although I’m an active and youthful 40 something, I’ve recently become a wining old man due to recent world events. Is this the same Patek Philippe I used to aspire to? It can’t be aimed at young people because I’m assuming it would be too expensive, I don’t understand. Audemars Piguet, it’s your turn to use this attention grabbing dial colour.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:11 AM   #118
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Because no one celebrates a 170th anniversary.

That's why.
Old 7 December 2021, 09:20 AM   #119
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I had a similar reaction when seeing the AP Marvel partnership and Black Panther Concept, but come on, this is completely different imho...
yeah agreed, it's a 5711 with blue tiffany dial - what's not to love? I don't get the hate at all. the only thing I could have done without is the LVMH logo on the back.
Old 7 December 2021, 09:22 AM   #120
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
yeah agreed, it's a 5711 with blue tiffany dial - what's not to love? I don't get the hate at all. the only thing I could have done without is the LVMH logo on the back.
The hate is because people like to take serious people at their word when they say "This is it. It is over."

Joke's on us.