The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which Version11
Numeric Hour Markers 7 33.33%
Stick hour Markers 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 September 2021, 12:50 PM   #1
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Breitling Montbrilliant 01

I Love the aggressive coin edge and pie plate look of this Breitling.

However, I noticed that there are 2 versions of this.

From what I gather, there is the Numeric Hour marker version
AB013012/G735-425X

The other is the stick hour marker version
AB013012/G709/431X/A18BA.1

Both appear to be the same size. Are there any other differences?

Which would you pick?
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:21 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
Are there any other differences?
No, both are the same apart from the markers.

Quote:
Which would you pick?
I'd pick the one I liked the best.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:25 PM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I had to Google them. For comparison, here's an image from Chrono 24 of the "Stick hour markers".

And here's the version with actual numbers as the hour markers.

This is tough as both look very nice. With the stick hour markers it makes the dial look a bit less busy which might be the preference for some.

For me though, a Breitling aviators watch must have a busy dial. Albeit strange to some it seems true to the roots. My vote would you for the numerals in this one instance which is contrary to what I normally like.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:15 PM   #4
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have any writ shots?

I have searched google and these forums and cannot find many shots. If I were to buy this, there it would have to be ordered as it is an older model. Anyone have any pictures or wrist shots they can share?
Old 19 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #5
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I had to Google them. For comparison, here's an image from Chrono 24 of the "Stick hour markers".

And here's the version with actual numbers as the hour markers.

This is tough as both look very nice. With the stick hour markers it makes the dial look a bit less busy which might be the preference for some.

For me though, a Breitling aviators watch must have a busy dial. Albeit strange to some it seems true to the roots. My vote would you for the numerals in this one instance which is contrary to what I normally like.
i agree
Old 19 September 2021, 02:52 AM   #6
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Can anyone tell me is the dial silver or white?

Anyone have any pictures they can share? I can’t find too much online.
Old 20 September 2021, 08:22 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can anyone tell me is the dial silver or white?

Anyone have any pictures they can share? I can’t find too much online.
The dial is what some brands call opaline. It’s a silvery white, very subtle shine/gleam to it. For all intents and purposes though the dial appears white.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 02:13 AM   #8
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
OP- the one with the Arabic numerals is the first watch that really made me fall in love with the brand, and watches in general. Yes, that specific reference, with the Arabic numerals and cursive logo, on brown leather. I remember when and where I first saw it, and who I was with.

It's exceptionally beautiful in person and I don't think many photos do it justice.

Some here are suggesting you go with the stick markers because it makes the dial look less cluttered but I have to disagree, chiefly because the clutter isn't an issue on that particular reference.

The numerals are applied and shiny; they rise above the dial and your eyes notice the depth right away. Furthermore, the rotating bezel allows you to control a slide rule (which Breitling patented in the 40s, anytime you see "217012" on an older Chronomat dial, that's the patent number). The slide rule on this particular reference is nowhere as busy as the Navitimer line.

I think the Arabic numerals lend themselves to the older references from the 20s-40s, maybe even some from the 50s. They provide a whimsical angle that is often too lost in modern steel watches.

Full disclosure: despite seeing it, trying it on, etc., I never went for the Montbrillant 01, chiefly because I found the case a little too thick for my liking. If Breitling addresses this, it would be extremely difficult for me to say no, but again, that's a personal objection. For many others, the thickness is just fine. I did, however, pursue (and eventually bought) the vintage watch that the model is loosely based on, and I look forward to sharing it with the forum once it has returned from restoration.
Old 25 September 2021, 07:15 AM   #9
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

thank you for that comment I appreciate that inside I agree I love the vintage look at that I’m leaning towards the Arabic. I also really love Breitling‘s leather straps the problem is these are being manufactured so I’d have to find one used
And I can’t post in the want to buy section

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
OP- the one with the Arabic numerals is the first watch that really made me fall in love with the brand, and watches in general. Yes, that specific reference, with the Arabic numerals and cursive logo, on brown leather. I remember when and where I first saw it, and who I was with.

It's exceptionally beautiful in person and I don't think many photos do it justice.

Some here are suggesting you go with the stick markers because it makes the dial look less cluttered but I have to disagree, chiefly because the clutter isn't an issue on that particular reference.

The numerals are applied and shiny; they rise above the dial and your eyes notice the depth right away. Furthermore, the rotating bezel allows you to control a slide rule (which Breitling patented in the 40s, anytime you see "217012" on an older Chronomat dial, that's the patent number). The slide rule on this particular reference is nowhere as busy as the Navitimer line.

I think the Arabic numerals lend themselves to the older references from the 20s-40s, maybe even some from the 50s. They provide a whimsical angle that is often too lost in modern steel watches.

Full disclosure: despite seeing it, trying it on, etc., I never went for the Montbrillant 01, chiefly because I found the case a little too thick for my liking. If Breitling addresses this, it would be extremely difficult for me to say no, but again, that's a personal objection. For many others, the thickness is just fine. I did, however, pursue (and eventually bought) the vintage watch that the model is loosely based on, and I look forward to sharing it with the forum once it has returned from restoration.