The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2021, 03:09 PM   #1
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

Getting my first Breitling Navitimer - need advice

About month ago at the airport I noticed navitimer, and fall in love with it. At first, I was planning to get Navitimer stainless steel blue, but I changed my mind and will go with black rose gold. My wrist size is 18cm ( 7.1 inches ). What size of case should I go with 46 or 43mm? Also im considering fully gold case version vs stainless steel and rose gold. What you guys think?
Paul9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 07:33 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul9999 View Post
My wrist size is 18cm ( 7.1 inches ). What size of case should I go with 46 or 43mm?…What you guys think?

Size choice is very personal, so you really need to try both sizes on to decide. However, with 6.75" inch wrists, my personal choice was to go with vintage, neo-vintage and re-edition Navitimers at around 40mm. Therefore, my recommendation for you would be the 43mm over the 46mm.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2021, 08:41 PM   #3
BNZ
"TRF" Member

All things being equal with the look and feel on your wrist, I would go 43mm. Feel it would be more versatile at that size.
BNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 12:26 AM   #4
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. I was leaning toward 43mm size, now i am confident with that. I gotta wait 4 weeks for the watch since they dont have it I stock. I will be posting pictures once I get it
Old 27 September 2021, 03:44 AM   #5
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I have small wrists and went with the 806 Re-edition 41 mm ....
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 01:53 PM   #6
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
It's completely personal preference; for me, I think most watches over 44 look too big on almost any wrist. YMMV
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 12:14 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I would go with 43mm to start. The proportions, particularly with the hands, tend to look better at 41-43mm.

Additionally, I would reconsider a stainless steel model. I have nothing against precious metal Breitlings, they just tend to be less popular and you might find yourself fall out of love with it with poor resale value for money invested. I speak from some experience as I used to own a two tone Navitimer and fell out of love after a few years. I've since acquired a stainless steel version.

The chief criticism of Breitling in recent years has been overpolished, large, flashy pieces. I think a more restrained size and case metal are more reflective of the image the brand has been pushing more recently; leaning heavily on their tool watch heritage. At the end of the day, this is just an opinion. You need to do what you think is best.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:12 AM   #8
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I would go with 43mm to start. The proportions, particularly with the hands, tend to look better at 41-43mm.

Additionally, I would reconsider a stainless steel model. I have nothing against precious metal Breitlings, they just tend to be less popular and you might find yourself fall out of love with it with poor resale value for money invested. I speak from some experience as I used to own a two tone Navitimer and fell out of love after a few years. I've since acquired a stainless steel version.

The chief criticism of Breitling in recent years has been overpolished, large, flashy pieces. I think a more restrained size and case metal are more reflective of the image the brand has been pushing more recently; leaning heavily on their tool watch heritage. At the end of the day, this is just an opinion. You need to do what you think is best.
Thank you for suggestion. I really like that gold touch. It is indeed hard decision between all versions ( full gold, partially gold, stainless steel), but I decided with middle option. Im getting it at extremely great price ( purchase from AD from abroad), so even if I decide to sell it in the future ill probly get more what I paid. I gotta wait 4 weeks for the watch, so once I get it ill post pictures:)
Old 4 October 2021, 02:14 AM   #9
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

Im planning to add 3 years extended warranty for 8 years total. Is this worth it?
Old 4 October 2021, 02:20 AM   #10
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I've only used a watch warranty repair for one issue and that was on a Rolex, after 2 trips to RSC the problem persisted. I've had a Breitling Superocean for about 10 years with zero issues. To me, warranties don't hold much value. Unless it was super cheap, I wouldn't pay to extend one.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2021, 02:26 AM   #11
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I've only used a watch warranty repair for one issue and that was on a Rolex, after 2 trips to RSC the problem persisted. I've had a Breitling Superocean for about 10 years with zero issues. To me, warranties don't hold much value. Unless it was super cheap, I wouldn't pay to extend one.
Watch is around 7k and warranty 400$, so about 5% for peace of mind. Only issue I can see is extremely long waiting time for repair
Old 4 November 2021, 06:01 AM   #12
Paul9999
"TRF" Member

picked it up few days ago. Picture as promised
Old 4 November 2021, 11:14 AM   #13
Onti
Banned

Awesome, I have always wanted a Navitimer. Enjoy it.
Onti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 12:52 PM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Great pick up. The navitimer is far underappreciated and much like all chronos these days obscured by the shadow of the daytona. The watch has real heritage and is one of the most significant chronos ever. While being a busy dial, its very easy to read.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 11:36 PM   #15
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
I am 7 3/4 and I don't go above 43. Breilting watches are eye catchers and if you go to big you start to get into that Invicta look in my opinion. Looks like you made an excellent choice!
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 02:23 AM   #16
Tzmore
Banned

I would try out 43mm to start with, 44mm might be big for your wrist and might not give you that perfect and comfortable fit...my opinion.
Tzmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 03:04 AM   #17
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I have the 41mm and a 7.25" wrist. But yours looks great!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 09:47 AM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Mine says hello….
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F85F7106-56CE-45FF-AB60-59A1F6176292.jpeg (76.6 KB, 302 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 10:03 AM   #19
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, it looks great!

I think that sometimes, with Navitimers, folks tend to concentrate on the slide rule aspect, and lose sight of the fact that they really are superb chronographs. The B01 movement is one of the best out there.

The other thing I like is that there are so many variations, by the time you have added the particular strap you want, you can end up with a watch with an almost unique look. Good choice on the strap by the way, that’s what I would have gone for.

If you see an actual watch and think “that’s for me” you often make a better decision than researching online. I’ve seen some watches online that just didn’t do it for me in reality. Some years ago I bought my first Breitling, a blue Chrono Cockpit, as almost an impulse buy (though I did think about it for a day). To this day it’s a favourite!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 01:14 PM   #20
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. I definitely think 43 is the best size and it could be argued that two tone is the best of both worlds.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 06:09 PM   #21
VCO-LUST
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
Congratulations, it looks great!

I think that sometimes, with Navitimers, folks tend to concentrate on the slide rule aspect, and lose sight of the fact that they really are superb chronographs. The B01 movement is one of the best out there.

The other thing I like is that there are so many variations, by the time you have added the particular strap you want, you can end up with a watch with an almost unique look. Good choice on the strap by the way, that’s what I would have gone for.

If you see an actual watch and think “that’s for me” you often make a better decision than researching online. I’ve seen some watches online that just didn’t do it for me in reality. Some years ago I bought my first Breitling, a blue Chrono Cockpit, as almost an impulse buy (though I did think about it for a day). To this day it’s a favourite!
Could you elaborate why B01 is so great? Im genuinely curious
VCO-LUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 08:24 AM   #22
carl123
"TRF" Member

Don’t wish to put people off, I must have been incredibly unlucky but I had 3 x 46mm b01 navitimers and after the 3rd replacement with issues I finally gave up and sold, cut my losses. I’m sure there are many many happy owners of b01 Breitling watches but unfortunately I was not one of them, shame cos it was a lovely watch.
carl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 09:18 AM   #23
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO-LUST View Post
Could you elaborate why B01 is so great? Im genuinely curious
Breitling have used many movements in the Navitimer over the years. At least 7 by my count, perhaps more, and generally speaking, each has been an improvement on it’s predecessor (the short lived quartz movement of the late 70’s being the exception).

A sensible comparison would therefore probably be the ETA 7750, used by Ernest Schneider when he re introduced the Navitimer (and confusingly called the “Old Navitimer” to distinguish it from the quartz models).

It’s a good movement. Used by a lot of makers (albeit in different grades) and I own several watches that use it. It’s not perfect though. It’s designed as an automatic, and while of course you can hand wind it, the gear train isn’t rugged enough to do this fully on a regular basis. It’s also prone to problems if you change the date close to midnight.

The B01 movement owes little to ETA designs, other than perhaps it’s size, and has none of the issues of the 7750. To my eyes, it owes more to Rolex designs, and I believe the recent collaboration between Breitling and Tudor is no coincidence. However, I digress.

The B01 then is a well designed movement, incorporating several improvements over a comparable Rolex. It’s designed to be sturdy, it’s of modular design, allowing for relatively easy servicing, and the chronograph module is a column wheel, which has to be a superior design.

Consider 47 jewels (compared to 25 I think in the ETA), a 70 hour power reserve and above all, if you have an opportunity, have a look at one under magnification. They’re decent. Hence I believe they are “up there” with the best, by which of course I’m thinking of movements in the same class, not some piece of “haute horology”!

I’m sorry, and surprised, that Carl above has had such difficulties. That hasn’t been my experience, though I have owned my Navitimer 01 for relatively few years compared to some of my watches.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:55 AM   #24
Hvrnaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Congratulations on your new Navi. It is, for me, the quintessential Brietling watch. (Some of their other offerings are nice, as well)

I have a 43mm 2010 Navi B01 LE and it fits my 7.5 wrist perfectly. The display case back also gives a beautiful view of the outstanding B01 movement.

The single issue I have with Breitling these days is that they abandoned the “winged B” logo on their aviation watches. Just does not make sense to me.

I put it on an alligator Rubber B, so it really does resemble your acquisition. Great look!
Hvrnaut is offline   Reply With Quote