The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2007, 11:54 PM   #1
LKNGOOD

Watch: GMT-MASTER II
Correct way to wear a ROLEX??

I just bought a GMT-MASTERII and the AD took out two links and the center clasp is in the middle hole.

The AD took both links from one side of the band, leaving 6 link on one side and 5 link on the other but with the way the clasp sits on my wrist - It's not prefectly centered. Is this correct?
  • Should I have the AD put one link on the shorter side and remove a link from the longer side - this way the clasp will be center to my wrist when worn?
  • Or should I have the two links put back on and adjust the center clasp to the smallest setting/hole (All the way in)?
  • Or should adjust the center clasp to the largest setting/hole (All the way out) and remove 3-4 links to fit?
  • Or am I just being to anal and leave it alone since it does feel fine.

I hope I am explaining this correctly.
LKNGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 04:12 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNGOOD View Post
I just bought a GMT-MASTERII and the AD took out two links and the center clasp is in the middle hole.

The AD took both links from one side of the band, leaving 6 link on one side and 5 link on the other but with the way the clasp sits on my wrist - It's not prefectly centered. Is this correct?
  • Should I have the AD put one link on the shorter side and remove a link from the longer side - this way the clasp will be center to my wrist when worn?
  • Or should I have the two links put back on and adjust the center clasp to the smallest setting/hole (All the way in)?
  • Or should adjust the center clasp to the largest setting/hole (All the way out) and remove 3-4 links to fit?
  • Or am I just being to anal and leave it alone since it does feel fine.

I hope I am explaining this correctly.
Let me try and help you out on this one, Mike.

The GMT-II comes fitted with the OYSTERLOCK bracelet which should have 13 original links all up.

The ideal way (with a 7¼" wrist as I have) would be to wear it with all links on and a 8 + 5 arrangement - 8 on the '12' side and 5 on the '6' side.

If you want a perfect fit and a proper clasp centralisation, take one link off from each side....so your new arrangement will be 7 + 4.....7 links on the '12' side and 4 links on the '6' side. Make final adjustments in the clasp itself with the movement of the micropin.

Do you have this arrangement? If so, can you post some pics please?

NOTE: NEVER have the same number of links on either side. You always have more links on the '12' side.

Let me know how the new arrangement works out for you. The clasp should be perfectly centralised like this and sit in the centre of your wrist.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 04:37 AM   #3
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Let me try and help you out on this one, Mike.

If you want a perfect fit and a proper clasp centralisation, take one link off from each side....so your new arrangement will be 7 + 4.....7 links on the '12' side and 4 links on the '6' side. Make final adjustments in the clasp itself with the movement of the micropin.

Do you have this arrangement? If so, can you post some pics please?

NOTE: NEVER have the same number of links on either side. You always have more links on the '12' side.

Let me know how the new arrangement works out for you. The clasp should be perfectly centralised like this and sit in the centre of your wrist.

Thanks - JJ
Hi JJ,

Thanks for the information - I currently have 6 + 5.....6 links on the '12' side and 5 links on the '6' side. The clasp is on the 4th hole in from the outside (There's 5 slots total).

By taking off 1 link from the '6' side and adding 1 link to the '12' side (7+4) I think will work perfectly, but there's a PROBLEM.

I cannot take of anymore links on the '6' side. The last link with a screw is attached to the clasp on the '6' side.

On the '12' side I have 2 links (One attatch to the clasp and one to the other links) with screws so I can still take off 1 more link but that will make it (5+5) and that would be worst.

I guess I will just have to live with it being off a little. (I wouldn't have a problem with this 2 months ago when I weighted 170lbs. I've been working out a lot and eating healthy for the past two months and lost 39lbs = 131 lbs - Both my wedding ring and previous watch don't fit anymore - LOL)
Old 18 March 2007, 04:42 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hi JJ,

Thanks for the information - I currently have 6 + 5.....6 links on the '12' side and 5 links on the '6' side. The clasp is on the 4th hole in from the outside (There's 5 slots total).

By taking off 1 link from the '6' side and adding 1 link to the '12' side (7+4) I think will work perfectly, but there's a PROBLEM.

I cannot take of anymore links on the '6' side. The last link with a screw is attached to the clasp on the '6' side.

On the '12' side I have 2 links (One attatch to the clasp and one to the other links) with screws so I can still take off 1 more link but that will make it (5+5) and that would be worst.

I guess I will just have to live with it being off a little. (I wouldn't have a problem with this 2 months ago when I weighted 170lbs. I've been working out a lot and eating healthy for the past two months and lost 39lbs = 131 lbs - Both my wedding ring and previous watch don't fit anymore - LOL)
Mike,

Go to your AD and suggest he put in a HALF link on the '6' side so you have 4½ links there instead of 5. It just might help.

And please put some weight back on....I think you lost too much!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 March 2007, 04:45 AM   #5
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Mike,

Go to your AD and suggest he put in a HALF link on the '6' side so you have 4½ links there instead of 5. It just might help.

And please put some weight back on....I think you lost too much!!

Good luck - JJ
Ok JJ - Will do on both suggestion.

I'm 5'8" by the way :)
Old 18 March 2007, 04:47 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Ok JJ - Will do on both suggestion.

I'm 5'8" by the way :)
At 5' 8" you'd look good on 150 or thereabouts!!

Good luck with the bracelet, Mike....do keep me updated. I'm anxious to know how it turns out.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 04:56 AM   #7
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Wow! First congratulations on that 39lbs, that's a lot of hard work. Second, I had the exact same problem with my Sub a couple of weeks ago. It was my first Rolex so I wasn't used to the ease with which you could re-fit the bracelet.

I did have to fiddle quite a bit, and learn JJ's above lesson for myself, but eventually I just figured out that the first step was to get the 6 o'clock bracelet length right for the clasp to be centred, ignoring the other side. Then make the other side "agree" using the micropins and/or links. Since a link and a pin position have different effects, it was a bit on-again-off-again for a while. I felt like a kid doing one of those spatial IQ tests and failing.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 04:59 AM   #8
pcarson

Sorry, seems JJ was comptemplating the problem ahead of me and our posts crossed. It's 5 am here, so I'll use slow typing as a defence. The fact that JJ knows about 1,000,000 X what I know about watches should also influence your choice of solution!
Old 18 March 2007, 04:59 AM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarson View Post
...Since a link and a pin position have different effects, it was a bit on-again-off-again for a while. I felt like a kid doing one of those spatial IQ tests and failing.
LOL - I think most of us have failed that test from time to time, Peter!
Old 18 March 2007, 05:01 AM   #10
LKNGOOD

Quote:
Wow! First congratulations on that 39lbs, that's a lot of hard work.
Thanks,

I did Cardio EVERYDAY for 45 minutes since Jan 2nd. We had a Weight Loss Contest going on at work. The SVP put up $500 for the winner. Currently I'm in first place with 2 weeks left to go. The guy in 2nd place only lost 15lbs so far so it look like the $500 will be mine :)

I will try both your suggestions and report back with pictures (Of the watch and me holding the winning $500 - LOL)
Old 18 March 2007, 05:05 AM   #11
Mrdi
Banned

My personal preference is the watch sit amidship on my wrist.
Whatever configuration does that is good.
The band is secondary
My wrist is about 7.45"
All links 7.5 at 12 O:clock and 5 at six
2 up on the bracelet adj,
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 05:06 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks,

I did Cardio EVERYDAY for 45 minutes since Jan 2nd. We had a Weight Loss Contest going on at work. The SVP put up $500 for the winner. Currently I'm in first place with 2 weeks left to go. The guy in 2nd place only lost 15lbs so far so it look like the $500 will be mine :)

I will try both your suggestions and report back with pictures (Of the watch and me holding the winning $500 - LOL)
You seem like a great, sporting kinda guy, Mike.

I think you should fit in well with the rest of this crazy bunch!!

Old 18 March 2007, 05:08 AM   #13
pcarson

Fabulous idea at work. I'm just about to go and attack the hill where cyclists congregate at ungodly hours, so I sure know what 45 mins in the training range feels like when you've got a bit to spare! When the comp's off, and you re-acquire a bit, then get annoyed at slacking off and over-compensate, then Christmas comes around you'll be an absolute bloody expert with the bracelet. I'll be able to pre-emptively re-size my watch to fit the holiday season pretty soon...
Old 18 March 2007, 05:13 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Fabulous idea at work. I'm just about to go and attack the hill where cyclists congregate at ungodly hours, so I sure know what 45 mins in the training range feels like when you've got a bit to spare! When the comp's off, and you re-acquire a bit, then get annoyed at slacking off and over-compensate, then Christmas comes around you'll be an absolute bloody expert with the bracelet. I'll be able to pre-emptively re-size my watch to fit the holiday season pretty soon...
I'm not sure how it works with you guys, but from my experience, I don't think weight loss affects the mass on the wrist too much.

I mean, a year ago I weighed in at a massive 207...went on the Weight Watchers diet, and am now down to 187 - 20 solid pounds down - and still no difference to even the micro-adjustment in my bracelets.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 05:22 AM   #15
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
JJ why do you say NEVER have an equal number of links on each side? You've got me nervous now because I have 5 links on the bottom and 6 on the top (although the 6th is covered by the clasp). This is on a 14060M. Is there something I should be worried about?
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 05:24 AM   #16
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
...Is there something I should be worried about?
Yes! You've just set the wheels of Armageddon in motion!!!

I really don't think it matters even one little bit!
Old 18 March 2007, 06:09 AM   #17
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Quote:
At 5' 8" you'd look good on 150 or thereabouts!!

Good luck with the bracelet, Mike....do keep me updated. I'm anxious to know how it turns out.

JJ
Man. I'm 5'8" and 188...what does that say about me.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 06:32 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post

PAtrick
I don't know...would need to see you in your birthday suit!!

Seriously though, a lot also depends on bone structure and bone substance. Some people are naturally big-boned and would naturally weigh more.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 06:34 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
JJ why do you say NEVER have an equal number of links on each side? You've got me nervous now because I have 5 links on the bottom and 6 on the top (although the 6th is covered by the clasp). This is on a 14060M. Is there something I should be worried about?
If you have the same number of links on both sides, you will find the clasp moving toward the 12 o'clock sided and become lop-sided on your wrist. It will NOT sit centralised like my picture above.

Go with the original, factory-fitted configuration - straight out of the box.

It always comes fitted with more links on the '12' side.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 06:36 AM   #20
Wolf
"TRF" Member

Great post JJ. I just noticed that when the AD adjusted my bracelet yesterday on the new GMT II, he took all the links out of the 12 side leaving me with more on the 6 side than the 12. It felt "off" to me like the watch wanted to sit too high on my wrist and the clasp was not aligned as you described.

Now I know how to fix it - thanks to you.

Steve
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 06:39 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Great post JJ. I just noticed that when the AD adjusted my bracelet yesterday on the new GMT II, he took all the links out of the 12 side leaving me with more on the 6 side than the 12. It felt "off" to me like the watch wanted to sit too high on my wrist and the clasp was not aligned as you described.

Now I know how to fix it - thanks to you.

Steve
Well, Steve...sorry to say this, but your AD is a bloody idiot!!

He, of all people, should know more about this than anyone else. Some ADs are real shockers.

Try and get in more links on the '12' side and lesser on the '6' side. In the end, the clasp must sit dead centre like my picture above to know that you have the links correctly arranged on the bracelet.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 06:40 AM   #22
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I think its how the watch feels and looks on you. The pic of JJ's new watch looks uncomfortable to me. Too tight. If he likes it great. My LV flops around on my wrist. Its quite loose and the AD kept trying to tighten it up on my wrist. Tried it. Hated it. Feels better loose. I like the feeling of it moving around on my wrist a bit too.

Now. Get to Mcdonalds and get a few Big Mac Value Meals...and Supersize it!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 06:44 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
I think its how the watch feels and looks on you. The pic of JJ's new watch looks uncomfortable to me. Too tight. If he likes it great. My LV flops around on my wrist. Its quite loose and the AD kept trying to tighten it up on my wrist. Tried it. Hated it. Feels better loose. I like the feeling of it moving around on my wrist a bit too.

Trust me, KV....it is loose. That picture is misleading. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it right now and it's very, very comfortable.

JJ

Old 18 March 2007, 02:25 PM   #24
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Quote:
Like JJ mentioned I reckon it all depends on bone density & fat content..I'm 39, standing straight am 5'9" in my socks & weigh 188lbs just like you...most would swear it's an extremely dense skull...LOL...anyways...I wear 31" waist Wranglers...could wear 30" waist easily except that I carry an IWB holster...so don't sweat the poundage...it's the inches, and more importantly, how you feel inside yourself...
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2007, 02:41 PM   #25
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post

I have to agree with you I like my watch to fit loose, hence the "Braclet" effect.

Steve
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote