The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2019, 05:25 AM   #1
R G
Banned

Seamaster Story

I’ve never been an Omega man.

I’ve always bought and worn other brands (including Rolex).

The only time I’d ever bought an Omega was back in 2013, when I wanted a vintage piece on a strap and I found a 1972 Geneve.

About a year ago, I called an independent dealer who bought and sold watches - mainly Omega and Rolex, because I was selling a Rolex DJ2 of mine.

I explained to the dealer that I’d be in the area the following week and he suggested dropping by so he could give me a price on my watch.

In the week leading up to me visiting the dealer, a work friend of mine, who is in to his Omegas, checked out his website. He saw an older model Seamaster that he thought looked nice and asked me to check it out for him when I went to the dealer on the weekend.

When I went to see the dealer, he actually ended up giving me the best quote so I agreed the price and told him I’d be in the following weekend with the box and papers and actually make the sale then. Whilst there I asked to take a look at the Seamaster my friend was interested in so I could report back.

The guy handed me the watch and I put it on my wrist.

Both my wife and I were taken aback at how lovely it looked. I just kept on commenting on what a nice piece it was! I took some video footage of it and a number of photos, to show my colleague it’s condition, which happened to be mint.

I walked out, pleased with the knowledge that I’d got a reasonable price on my DJ2 to part-fund a new Rolex I was buying from an AD the following weekend, and went on with the rest of the afternoon with my wife.

During this time, I kept on thinking and talking to my wife about the Seamaster that my work friend liked. She agreed, it was a really beautiful watch and it looked great on. I spoke to my friend on the phone and was raving about it, telling him how it was immaculate and that he should go for it. All the while not actually realising that actually, I’d really taken a liking to it myself.

That week at work, my friend called the dealer and put a refundable holding deposit down. The idea was that he’d come down with me the following weekend when I went to actually sell the DJ2. Providing the watch was to his approval, he’d buy it.

Saturday morning came and I drove me and my friend down there. I sold my DJ2, and my work friend inspected and then promptly purchased the Seamaster.

We drove back and he was trying it on and taking pics etc on the way home. We were both raving about how nice it was and I was happy he’d found a new piece for himself.

Since that weekend, every now and then he’d wear the watch in to the office (as he rotates his watches regularly) and I would sit there, ask him for a peek and a quick try-on, and admire his Seamaster.

When we talked about watches, the conversation would often turn in to a chat about his Seamaster and how much I liked it. I was really surprised myself and I’ve just never been in to Omegas.

He’d always laugh because I’ve never been an Omega person, but i thought so highly of this particular watch. It got to the point where I ended up offering to buy it off him, but he was always adamant that nothing would make him sell it as he liked it, although by his own admission, maybe not as much as me.

Then, a while back, we were talking about it and he started entertaining my tongue-in-cheek talk about taking it off his hands one day. Then, the jovial chat turned a little more serious, to the point where just this week we agreed a price and I bought the watch.

Almost a year to the day later, here is my Omega ‘Non-America’s Cup’ Seamaster.

They are pretty rare these days, but this one is in such great shape.

R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great watch. Looks mint.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 10:20 AM   #3
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post