The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 March 2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Omega 2254.50 SMP Franken or Fake?

I have no intention of promoting fakes here, but I wanted some other input on this Omega Seamaster 2254.50 that I picked up yesterday. If this crosses a line, mods please delete! It was purchased from a reputable dealer, so my money is safe. I have already been offered a full refund.

I thought the watch seemed thick so I measured it with digital calipers and a micrometer - 13.30 mm thick. I believe this SMP should be ~11.8 mm thick. Then I noticed the dial text is not standard from what I see in Internet photo searches, but I assume this might be a variation - looks good to me.

The biggest issue is the movement though. It's marked as an ETA 2836-2 and it looks exactly like one, but the proper Omega 1120 movement is based on the ETA 2892-2. There is about a 1.5 mm thickness difference between these two movements, with the 2892-2 being thinner than the 2836-2. The rotor text is all wrong too.

So I am just looking for a sanity check here. I assume this is not a franken because of the thickness. It seems the case was made thicker to accommodate the thicker movement. Also the rotor shows intent to deceive one into thinking it's a true Omega 1120 movement. I am assuming then that the movement is actually an Asian clone of the 2836-2.

Overall it's very good if a fake. It is very solid feeling. The bezel action is extremely good. And the damn thing is keeping time at +/- 0 sec/day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1015-1.JPG (118.3 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1018-1.JPG (107.7 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1020-1.JPG (128.4 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1021-1.JPG (126.3 KB, 605 views)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 02:01 PM   #2
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Not a franken. It's a replica. Get your money back.
Old 6 March 2020, 02:20 PM   #3
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
Not a franken. It's a replica. Get your money back.
Yeah, I'm sorry I should clarify. I just don't know Omega. I have a Speedmaster, but the Seamaster co-axials just have never appealed to me - too chunky. So I just am not sure about different SMP variations. The more I think about it though the movement really shows it's not a franken, but fake. Totally wrong movement in there.
Old 6 March 2020, 02:47 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Yep, fake as hell.

Love the Paragon loupe. My industry used to be littered with those.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:46 PM   #5
daequitz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Helson
The text does look odd to my 2054.50, which I purchased new from an AD. I believe it has the same the same case, dial face and movement as the 2254.50. I think the big diff between the two was the band. I just measured overall thickness at 11.75mm with my digital calipers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200308_085958 resize.jpg (254.7 KB, 516 views)
daequitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 04:51 AM   #6
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daequitz View Post
The text does look odd to my 2054.50, which I purchased new from an AD. I believe it has the same the same case, dial face and movement as the 2254.50. I think the big diff between the two was the band. I just measured overall thickness at 11.75mm with my digital calipers.
Yup, your text is the standard text that I have seen on all of the photos on the Net. I opened up my watch again to look at the movement. I really can't tell if it's an Asian 2836-2 or authentic ETA. Doesn't matter though, bottom line is that the watch was a fake. Your thickness measurement confirms that, thanks. I returned the watch and already got my money back...
Old 15 March 2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Jeelan
"TRF" Member

Glad you got your money back, but it’s bit concerning that a reputable dealer is selling replicas and not aware of it..... was it a grey dealer or store? Are you able to disclose any more?
Jeelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 12:51 AM   #8
cosmic2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Plo Prof
agreed Rep - look at the Omega logo -"happy feet"
cosmic2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 02:04 AM   #9
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Someone put in an awful lot of work for a watch that’s $2500. What a strange watch to fake. I love mine, glad you got it figured out. You should definitely buy another one!

Find George (kringkilly) I’m sure he has one for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 12:21 PM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Yup, your text is the standard text that I have seen on all of the photos on the Net. I opened up my watch again to look at the movement. I really can't tell if it's an Asian 2836-2 or authentic ETA. Doesn't matter though, bottom line is that the watch was a fake. Your thickness measurement confirms that, thanks. I returned the watch and already got my money back...
Glad you got your money back. The 2254 is a great model, hope you can find a nice genuine one!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 02:02 PM   #11
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Someone put in an awful lot of work for a watch that’s $2500. What a strange watch to fake. I love mine, glad you got it figured out. You should definitely buy another one!
That's nothing. I bought a fake Tissot diver from a friend. Didn't even think of there being fakes of those.
Look at some replica sites. They make fakes of watches that retail for $300 new.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 01:30 PM   #12
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses guys... I thought this thread had died out.

Sorry, I don't really want to throw the dealer under the bus since they are 100% legit, made a mistake, and fixed it immediately.

I was still going back and forth on whether or not to get an Omega Seamaster 2254.50. I was also looking for a titanium 2231.50 and prices on Rolex 14060M no date Subs have been getting better (although I own six Rolexes, including a Sea Dweller and two tone Sub). I also looked at other alternatives to the Omega, looking specifically at thinner divers. I still kept coming back to this Seamaster 2254 though.

Well one finally came up for sale at the right price with a recent, full service and the push button micro adjust clasp that I really wanted. It looks like I will receive it tomorrow!

First thing I will do? Open the caseback and verify the movement!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega Seamaster.jpg (119.4 KB, 220 views)
Old 19 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #13
Londonboy
"TRF" Member

Kirk, I'm glad that you got your money back

One way to check on the movement is to scroll the date, on a gen 2254 you have to turn the crown in the anti clockwise direction to forward the date

If your new one has had a full service why would you want to open the case back?
Who serviced it?

Wearing mine as I type
Londonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:24 AM   #14
Kirk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonboy View Post
Kirk, I'm glad that you got your money back

One way to check on the movement is to scroll the date, on a gen 2254 you have to turn the crown in the anti clockwise direction to forward the date

If your new one has had a full service why would you want to open the case back?
Who serviced it?

Wearing mine as I type
Thanks for the suggestion on the quick check of the date wheel. I have another 2892-A2 watch that does that with date setting.

I've purchased quite a few watches used. My local watch shop charges $50 to remove the caseback and authenticate the watch. Verifying the movement is sometimes the only way to authenticate a watch given how good the fakes have become these days. To save money I purchased a very, very nice Chinese copy of a high end caseback removing tool. I can remove a caseback without any damage and reinstall it tightly. So I have done my own authentication and will do the same with this watch. I want to know 100% that the watch is authentic. I don't want to find out years down the road at a service after the seller and my money are long gone.

I also have a nice Chinese timegrapher and regulate my watches when the caseback is off. That's probably not needed with this watch recently serviced, but I will also time it just to check.