The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2020, 11:24 PM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Just picked up a bracelet for my Moonphase

Visited my AD yesterday and picked up the bracelet I ordered for my blue co-axial Moonphase a couple weeks ago. This bracelet is a big improvement over the standard Moonwatch bracelet. Comes with two half-links and the clasp allows for three micro adjustments at the push of a button. I don't know why Omega hasn't incorporated this into all their Moonwatches. As for fit, it wears comfortably and is easier to get sized correctly than other Omega bracelets in my opinion. I still think there's no beating the leather strap for sheer comfort, but I need this for the hotter months and for swimming. Anyway here are a couple pics for anyone who might be interested.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:23 AM   #2
shalako
"TRF" Member

Looks fantastic, I have the same watch and it’s only a matter of time before I get the bracelet for mine for exactly the same reason.....
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #3
Hands90
"TRF" Member

The idea of wearing this everyday to specifically track the moon is so appealing to me.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:54 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
The idea of wearing this everyday to specifically track the moon is so appealing to me.
It's one of those features that probably doesn't have a whole lot of actual need, but there's something really fun about getting up in the morning and seeing the progress of that little moon across the subdial.
Old 26 February 2020, 04:32 AM   #5
zoenatenich
"TRF" Member

Looks very good on you. My local Omega boutique only has this configuration on a strap and I've been wanting to try it on steel.
zoenatenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 04:37 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenatenich View Post
Looks very good on you. My local Omega boutique only has this configuration on a strap and I've been wanting to try it on steel.
Unfortunately the blue Moonphase is offered only on the blue strap. You would need to purchase the bracelet separately. The black SS version has the option of strap or bracelet.
Old 26 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #7
zoenatenich
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the information, samson66. My next watch on the list and hope to get it soon.
zoenatenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:44 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenatenich View Post
Thank you for the information, samson66. My next watch on the list and hope to get it soon.
Having both the strap and bracelet, I think I actually prefer the strap, but it's close. Love the look and comfort of the strap. The blue strap just looks great on this watch. But of course it's nice having the versatility of the bracelet. Too hot in my area to wear a leather strap in the summer, and 100m of water resistance doesn't do much good when you can't get the strap wet. Best case scenario - get both! Good luck
Old 26 February 2020, 12:40 PM   #9
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Lookin' good Mike!
Mine's on the bracelet right now, too. I especially like the three-notch micro adjust capability.

How'd your AD supplied springbars compare with the originals for the strap?

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:21 PM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
That looks great. The pivoted end links help to make it look a little smaller too.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:32 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Looks great.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 10:02 PM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
Lookin' good Mike!
Mine's on the bracelet right now, too. I especially like the three-notch micro adjust capability.

How'd your AD supplied springbars compare with the originals for the strap?
The push button micro adjustment is "one giant leap for mankind" over the standard moonwatch clasp. It is a game changer. Omega should incorporate this on all their sport models.

Not sure on the spring bars. They installed it while I was there in the store so I haven't had a chance to compare them directly. I'm probably going to switch back to the strap for the rest of the winter. When I do I will post a pic.
Old 26 February 2020, 10:43 PM   #13
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The push button micro adjustment is "one giant leap for mankind" over the standard moonwatch clasp. It is a game changer. Omega should incorporate this on all their sport models.
Yep, it's a great feature.

Sounds like you and I stumbled onto a pair of superb timepieces Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracelet:Small 1.JPG (203.4 KB, 726 views)

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 06:58 AM   #14
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Does the watch thinner on the bracelet than it does on the strap? I've noticed most watches do. I tried the blue on in a store and absolutely love everything about the dial, my only concern is the thickness.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #15
PeterBakke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Does the watch thinner on the bracelet than it does on the strap? I've noticed most watches do. I tried the blue on in a store and absolutely love everything about the dial, my only concern is the thickness.

Interested in this too. Tried it on on the blue leather, but was initially not fond of the case thickness. But I really like the appearance of the dial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeterBakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:50 PM   #16
Wishlist>$
"TRF" Member

Different shades of blue?

Quote:
Visited my AD yesterday and picked up the bracelet I ordered for my blue co-axial Moonphase a couple weeks ago. This bracelet is a big improvement over the standard Moonwatch bracelet. Comes with two half-links and the clasp allows for three micro adjustments at the push of a button. I don't know why Omega hasn't incorporated this into all their Moonwatches. As for fit, it wears comfortably and is easier to get sized correctly than other Omega bracelets in my opinion. I still think there's no beating the leather strap for sheer comfort, but I need this for the hotter months and for swimming. Anyway here are a couple pics for anyone who might be interested.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Great pics! I noted you recently ordered this watch. Did Omega change the blue to a lighter shade or is it just the lighting in your photos? Saw one of these at the AD today and was not impressed with the dark shade of blue on the AD watch and didnt consider the piece further. I think Omega originally released this watch in 2017 so its possible they changed the blue. Can you or anyone else confirm? Thanks!
Wishlist>$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:12 PM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBakke View Post
Interested in this too. Tried it on on the blue leather, but was initially not fond of the case thickness. But I really like the appearance of the dial!
I would say the watch does seem to wear a little thinner on the bracelet. Maybe the bracelet just disquises the thickness a little better? I know when I wear it with a dress shirt, the cuff slides over the watch easier on the bracelet than the strap. On the strap it seems more likely to "snag" the cuff if that makes sense.

But overall the thickness doesn't bother me one bit. I know a lot is made about how thick it is but I prefer chunkier watches. A watch like this with three subdials, seconds, minutes and hours chrono, a date feature, and of course the moon phase is gonna need to be a larger watch. Proportionally the thickness fits the diameter in my opinion. What I don't like in other watches in when the watch is tall vs it's width. Like the old Sea Dweller sat high off the wrist but was only 40 mm wide. With this watch the height seems to fit the overall size. But again, I like bigger watches so maybe I'm not the best one to ask. I like it to have a little heft and presence. It's a beautiful watch with a strong personality like all the coaxial moonwatches.

I would say that unless you plan to wear this watch with dress shirts most of the time, don't let the thickness keep you from buying this watch. In the end I think you will prefer the larger size.
Old 28 February 2020, 10:22 PM   #18
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishlist>$ View Post
Great pics! I noted you recently ordered this watch. Did Omega change the blue to a lighter shade or is it just the lighting in your photos? Saw one of these at the AD today and was not impressed with the dark shade of blue on the AD watch and didnt consider the piece further. I think Omega originally released this watch in 2017 so its possible they changed the blue. Can you or anyone else confirm? Thanks!
I think it's just the lighting. Definitely looks lighter and darker depending on the light conditions. I don't believe the color has changed. Here's a couple random pics I posted since I got this watch and you can see how the color seems to change.

Old 29 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #19
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
It's one of those features that probably doesn't have a whole lot of actual need, but there's something really fun about getting up in the morning and seeing the progress of that little moon across the subdial.
Agreed, it is very endearing!
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 10:05 AM   #20
shalako
"TRF" Member

I bought mine in the January sales and I think it’s an incredible piece, if there is one extra complication that is perfect on the legendary Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch then surely it has to be a Moonphase, what makes this so impressive is the photorealistic image of the Moon on a metal disc that is so incredibly detailed it shows the Moons craters and valleys as well as the footprint of Buzz Aldrin, (obviously not to scale of course) there really is IMHO no other Moonphase watch out there that comes close. When you combine that with a METAS movement, Liquid Metal Bezel and a watch that is anti magnetic to 15,000 gauss it actually surprises me why this watch isn’t more popular. Another great feature seldom mentioned is the fact that normally Moonphase watches have poor water resistance as the Moon and date are normally controlled with vulnerable pushers on the side of the case, with this model it’s controlled by the crown and therefore has 100m water resistance. The Moonphase function itself is accurate for up to 10 years. When you consider the above and the fact that the dial is absolutely stunning I do wonder why folks pay so much more for other Speedmaster models which don’t come close.

Old 2 March 2020, 10:02 PM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
I bought mine in the January sales and I think it’s an incredible piece, if there is one extra complication that is perfect on the legendary Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch then surely it has to be a Moonphase, what makes this so impressive is the photorealistic image of the Moon on a metal disc that is so incredibly detailed it shows the Moons craters and valleys as well as the footprint of Buzz Aldrin, (obviously not to scale of course) there really is IMHO no other Moonphase watch out there that comes close. When you combine that with a METAS movement, Liquid Metal Bezel and a watch that is anti magnetic to 15,000 gauss it actually surprises me why this watch isn’t more popular. Another great feature seldom mentioned is the fact that normally Moonphase watches have poor water resistance as the Moon and date are normally controlled with vulnerable pushers on the side of the case, with this model it’s controlled by the crown and therefore has 100m water resistance. The Moonphase function itself is accurate for up to 10 years. When you consider the above and the fact that the dial is absolutely stunning I do wonder why folks pay so much more for other Speedmaster models which don’t come close.
Agree with everything you said there. Totally love mind over a month later. Can't bare to take it off. When you consider the features they have packed into this watch and that amazing dial there's very little not to like. As for why you don't see more of them around I think it has to do with the price more than anything. Although it's not a bad price for what this watch brings to the table, >$10K is a lot of money for an Omega considering all the lower priced SS watches they sell. It's worth it in my opinion, but it does limit its appeal.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:23 AM   #22
Wishlist>$
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's just the lighting. Definitely looks lighter and darker depending on the light conditions. I don't believe the color has changed. Here's a couple random pics I posted since I got this watch and you can see how the color seems to change.

Thanks for the additional photos and confirmation. I see what you mean about the lighting. I find many blue dials are similar and their impact is dependent on lighting. This piece checks a lot of boxes for me. If your going to own a mechanical moonphase, this is the one! I will take another look at the AD.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 7 March 2020, 09:06 PM   #23
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
My black came with a bracelet I prefer the leather all my other pieces are on bracelets

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:45 AM   #24
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Could someone please elaborate on what a poster meant by... "The Moonphase function itself is accurate for up to 10 years."

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 04:30 AM   #25
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Could someone please elaborate on what a poster meant by... "The Moonphase function itself is accurate for up to 10 years."

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I have read a few reviews of this watch which have mentioned it, there was a comprehensive one done by Watchtime magazine under this heading. They go on to mention that from a technical standpoint it won’t need manual adjustment for up to 10 years

Here’s the relevant part of the article.

Perhaps using the phrase ‘accurate up to’ is misleading but for it not to need adjustment for up to 10 years is still impressive in my humble opinion.
Old 2 June 2020, 06:25 AM   #26
Wishlist>$
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the additional photos and confirmation. I see what you mean about the lighting. I find many blue dials are similar and their impact is dependent on lighting. This piece checks a lot of boxes for me. If your going to own a mechanical moonphase, this is the one! I will take another look at the AD.

Took another look and then the plunge! Thanks again for your help20200601_162049-748x734.jpgPhotoPictureResizer_200601_162204918_crop_2227x1595.jpg

Old 2 June 2020, 04:41 PM   #27
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Took another look and then the plunge! Thanks again for your helpAttachment 1138177Attachment 1138178

Congratulations, looks amazing, I’m wearing mine today, I’m seriously considering adding the bracelet for it like samson66 has just for the versatility.
Old 2 June 2020, 08:19 PM   #28
Pongster
"TRF" Member

My blue moonphase says hi and congrats.

OP, is that same bracelet for the Apollo XI 50th?

I still prefer mine on the strap though.

Eyesight so poor, have not seen Aldrin’s boot print.

Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 10:06 PM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Took another look and then the plunge! Thanks again for your helpAttachment 1138177Attachment 1138178

You wound up getting one! Fantastic, and congrats. Looks great. You may find your other watches begin to spend a lot of time in quarantine now.

How are you enjoying it so far?
Old 2 June 2020, 10:12 PM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post

My blue moonphase says hi and congrats.

OP, is that same bracelet for the Apollo XI 50th?

I still prefer mine on the strap though.

Eyesight so poor, have not seen Aldrin’s boot print.

No it's a different bracelet from the Apollo 11. It's I believe the same bracelet offered on all the Speedy coaxials. Nice bracelet. Comes with two half links and has the three position sliding clasp. Much easier to get the sizing right vs a standard Speemaster Professional.

I also prefer it on the strap. I have it on bracelet right now for the summer but it can't top the comfort on the leather strap. For a big watch I almost forget it is there when on the strap. But in this area it gets HOT in the summer so I needed a bracelet. Also want to be able to swim with it.

The boot print is there I promise