The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2013, 08:06 AM   #121
craniotes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
LOL. How anyone could read this review of the AP and still think, "Awesome, that's the watch for me!" is beyond me. When playgrounds start posing a threat to the well being of a "sport watch" I've just got to draw the line!

Entertaining post and unfortunately for the AP, I've got to say I pretty much agree w/ everything you said.
I've worn mine at the beach, in the ocean, in the pool, at the playground, gardening, hiking, farting around in the snow, during the kids' bath time, in the shower, etc and it has never missed a beat. Whats more, It still looks great and it still keeps time to +3 sec/day.

How's that for a review?

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 08:07 AM   #122
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Watch Snob said it well:

Quote:
The Rolex Deepsea, despite coming from the premier manufacturer of sport watches in the world, is rather daft and more than a little preposterous. It is oversize, overspec’d and overpriced. To us purists, it’s an abomination, the tragic offspring of the best line of diving watches in the world. It never should have been made. Do yourself a favor and buy a secondhand Sea Dweller while you still can, as that is the last great Rolex diving watch.
Now, in general I am skeptical of "tool watches," as G-Shock is probably what I'd wear in extreme conditions. However, if I were you, I'd go with AP.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 11:47 AM   #123
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Watch Snob said it well:

Now, in general I am skeptical of "tool watches," as G-Shock is probably what I'd wear in extreme conditions. However, if I were you, I'd go with AP.
Bringing up "Watch Snob" on any serious horology forum is pretty much like swearing in church. Such a clown.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 02:51 PM   #124
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Just read my thread on Diver back from the Caymans or the Playa del Carmen one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357534271.231991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Watches are the new currency!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2013, 03:34 PM   #125
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Bringing up "Watch Snob" on any serious horology forum is pretty much like swearing in church. Such a clown.
Touché.

(It appears your feelings about Watch Snob are inline with my feelings about any discussions that involve functional bezels on luxury diving watches.)
Old 8 January 2013, 01:13 AM   #126
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketmaster123 View Post
I have worn my AP Diver as a daily for 2 months and my Sub hasn't been out once since.
Okay, good for you.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 01:14 AM   #127
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
I've worn mine at the beach, in the ocean, in the pool, at the playground, gardening, hiking, farting around in the snow, during the kids' bath time, in the shower, etc and it has never missed a beat. Whats more, It still looks great and it still keeps time to +3 sec/day.

How's that for a review?

Regards,
Adam
Okay, good for you.
Old 8 January 2013, 01:16 AM   #128
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How's that for a review?

Regards,
Adam
But Adam, it cannot be true. That can't be done! ;-)

Enjoy your APs hard and often, buddy!
Old 8 January 2013, 01:19 AM   #129
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
X2. Using his logic, why would anyone EVER buy a vehicle other than a ho-hum Honda Civic to get to & from work.

I love when people say the DSSD is "over-engineered to a fault" because nobody would EVER use its depth rating. News flash guys...the same could be said about the Sub. Nobody NEEDs a watch to go past 200'...and 99.9% of us sport divers stay at 80' or less.
Old 8 January 2013, 02:24 AM   #130
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
bringing up "watch snob" on any serious horology forum is pretty much like swearing in church. Such a clown.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 04:32 AM   #131
craniotes
Banned

Quote:
But Adam, it cannot be true. That can't be done! ;-)

Enjoy your APs hard and often, buddy!
Will do, Patrick. What can I say? I buy watches to wear, not to admire from a distance and put away in the safe when I'm out living my life. Hell, even my Jumbo gets wet in the shower and pool on occasion.

Yup, the Diver's been an impressive companion these past couple of years, however if things go the way I think they are, it'll be falling on its sword to help fund a forged carbon Diver before long. Given how differently they wear, I can see room in the watch box for both, however there definitely isn't room in my budget for 2013. ;-)

Regards,
Adam

PS - I do hope to pick up another DSSD down the road as well, though that one's gonna have to wait its turn.
Old 8 January 2013, 04:37 AM   #132
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Will do, Patrick. What can I say? I buy watches to wear, not to admire from a distance and put away in the safe when I'm out living my life. Hell, even my Jumbo gets wet in the shower and pool on occasion.

Regards,
adam
Wait a sec... you shower?!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 05:02 AM   #133
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yup, the Diver's been an impressive companion these past couple of years, however if things go the way I think they are, it'll be falling on its sword to help fund a forged carbon Diver before long. Given how differently they wear, I can see room in the watch box for both, however there definitely isn't room in my budget for 2013. ;-)

Regards,
Adam

PS - I do hope to pick up another DSSD down the road as well, though that one's gonna have to wait its turn.
I want the carbon as well but i just cannot see myself paying over $20k for that watch, so I guess that is not going to happen.

Adam, you are one of the biggest and happiest dive watch fans I know, a DSSD is unavoidable in your lineup (more so than a 15202, dare I say...)

Cheers mate!
Old 8 January 2013, 05:26 AM   #134
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I want the carbon as well but i just cannot see myself paying over $20k for that watch, so I guess that is not going to happen.

Adam, you are one of the biggest and happiest dive watch fans I know, a DSSD is unavoidable in your lineup (more so than a 15202, dare I say...)

Cheers mate!
Actually my favorite in his collection is his IWC Ingenieur 3227.
Old 8 January 2013, 05:35 AM   #135
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Actually my favorite in his collection is his IWC Ingenieur 3227.
I think the new 40mm is going to be very interesting to watch. A bit less weight, I think most of us hope.
Old 8 January 2013, 06:22 AM   #136
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
I think the new 40mm is going to be very interesting to watch. A bit less weight, I think most of us hope.
Maybe Richemond have been monitoring our conversations

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 06:46 AM   #137
craniotes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Wait a sec... you shower?!
Like I said in my original post, "occasionally."

Quote:

AP's certainly not giving the FC Diver away, that's for sure, but I'm willing to pay the premium for the exotic nature of the piece and its relative rarity.

As for the DSSD, I loved it when I had it, but if I'm being honest here, I love the Jumbo I sold it to fund even more. Still, that doesn't mean that I won't own another one of these days...

Regards,
Adam

PS - The new 40mm Inge looks like a winner, though I do miss the intricately patterned "I" dial. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 8 January 2013, 06:54 AM   #138
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
X2. Using his logic, why would anyone EVER buy a vehicle other than a ho-hum Honda Civic to get to & from work.

I love when people say the DSSD is "over-engineered to a fault" because nobody would EVER use its depth rating. News flash guys...the same could be said about the Sub. Nobody NEEDs a watch to go past 200'...and 99.9% of us sport divers stay at 80' or less.
Sir, you speak the truth. I would truly enjoy having a 911 as my daily driver even if I do not need all the power all the time.

But engineering has its limits. If you try hard enough you may end up with a creation whose specifications begin to overshadow the overall design and even common sense. Think of the soul-less McMansions that have sprawled around the States...

A Sub or a Sea Dweller are fine watches that one can wear for sports and leisure. Let's leave it at that, as I realize that my opinion is not necessarily shared by the other members of this forum.
Old 8 January 2013, 06:58 AM   #139
v5cog

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Wow guys, a lot of interesting and varied opinions here!
Even being an AP fan and owning a bumblebee... I must be honest here and that although I chopped in my DSSD for the bee, I would at a push choose the DSSD over the Diver, purely for its robustness and accuracy, as mine was the most accurate watch I'd ever owned, it never lost a single second in two weeks of solid wrist time, it only gained time when I put it on a winder, strange I know... I also agree its a pointless exercise by Rolex producing a watch capable of depths no human could ever endure, and yes it was bulky and top heavy, but once on the wrist it's bulk soon faded and its beauty and masculinity shines through along with its fantastic clasp, my two years with it left some nice memories and admiration from fellow watch enthusiasts, However, .... I have never felt such feeling as when i picked the AP, I smiled all the way home from the shop, and haven't stopped smiling since... If a watch can do that.... It gets my vote every time whether it scratches easily or not! Oh yes I forgot mines forge carbon with Ceramic bezel... Pretty darn scratch proof
v5cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2013, 08:27 AM   #140
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5cog View Post
However, .... I have never felt such feeling as when i picked the AP, I smiled all the way home from the shop, and haven't stopped smiling since... If a watch can do that.... It gets my vote every time whether it scratches easily or not! Oh yes I forgot mines forge carbon with Ceramic bezel... Pretty darn scratch proof
Love it! Very nicely said, Colin.
Old 8 January 2013, 08:39 AM   #141
v5cog

Watch: Audemars Piguet
mike
v5cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 05:02 PM   #142
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5cog View Post
...although I chopped in my DSSD...my two years with it left some nice memories and admiration from fellow watch enthusiasts, However, ....
You, me + a number of other members I've read about over the years all seemed to hit a wall on the DSSD around the 2 yr mark. Interesting...

I loved my DSSD and thought I would never part w/ it (it literally stayed on wrist for a little more than 2 yrs)...then I hit that wall & started looking for something different. While I can't say anything drove me away from it, after 2 yrs it just didn't bring the excitement like some of my other watches that I had owned for that long (or longer). Ultimately once I started wearing my SubC on a daily basis I knew the DSSD's days were numbered. It wasn't until I picked up my new POC9300 that I finally realized there was no more need for my DSSD.
Old 6 June 2013, 03:42 PM   #143
ufboy73
Banned

curious, how much thicker is the dssd compared to the diver? aside from weight, whcih wears larger?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 07:58 PM   #144
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
curious, how much thicker is the dssd compared to the diver? aside from weight, whcih wears larger?
I believe the DSSD wears bigger.

To me it is an ugly thing - I would have a standard Sub over one even if they were the same price.

The Diver is in another league though...7 months on and I still love mine.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 08:18 PM   #145
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
You, me + a number of other members I've read about over the years all seemed to hit a wall on the DSSD around the 2 yr mark. Interesting...

I loved my DSSD and thought I would never part w/ it (it literally stayed on wrist for a little more than 2 yrs)...then I hit that wall & started looking for something different. While I can't say anything drove me away from it, after 2 yrs it just didn't bring the excitement like some of my other watches that I had owned for that long (or longer). Ultimately once I started wearing my SubC on a daily basis I knew the DSSD's days were numbered. It wasn't until I picked up my new POC9300 that I finally realized there was no more need for my DSSD.
scary, when one is thinking of taking the leap with the dssd
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 06:25 AM   #146
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
When taking my DSSD for a service quote I wore the diver on bacelet one wrist and the DSSD on the other wrist. I couldn't believe how awkward my beloved DSSD felt in comparison to the Diver. The Diver was so, so much more comfortable.

The DSSD is gone now. The Diver remains.
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 07:12 AM   #147
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Some of these perhaps?

That AP diver looks beautiful on the bracelet Dalip!!! Perfect mate
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 07:45 AM   #148
psv
"TRF" Member

Here is my main problem with the DSSD, having lived with one for a very long time: it is the only watch that I frequently remove from my wrist, be it for when sitting by the laptop, or in bed (I usually sleep with my watch on, much less so with the DSSD). It might be an amazing piece of engineering but I am realizing, albeit slowly obviously, that it is not really a good 24/7 daily watch. Now that might be relevant to some people, but other just wear their watches for a few hours here and there. For me, it is a problem, it is simply not a comfortable 24/7 watch on my wrist.
Old 8 June 2013, 08:12 AM   #149
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Here is my main problem with the DSSD, having lived with one for a very long time: it is the only watch that I frequently remove from my wrist, be it for when sitting by the laptop, or in bed (I usually sleep with my watch on, much less so with the DSSD). It might be an amazing piece of engineering but I am realizing, albeit slowly obviously, that it is not really a good 24/7 daily watch. Now that might be relevant to some people, but other just wear their watches for a few hours here and there. For me, it is a problem, it is simply not a comfortable 24/7 watch on my wrist.
I'm a 24/7 guy too and while I haven't wanted to rip it off my wrist yet, I have recently noticed it's weight. I was bed ridden last week for a few days and didn't wear a watch. When I finally put the DSSD on I could feel the weight and found it to be burdensome even. It may have been some oversensitivity since I was still a little sick but it has been a wake up call, now I'm afraid that my beloved Deepsea will start to mentally become heavier and possibly uncomfortable.

I'm not a flipper but want that "perfect" timeless watch that I could see me wearing when I'm sixty plus years old, In the back of my mind, the Deepsea doesn't seem to be that watch, but my GMTc is pretty awesome. Maybe I'm over thinking things.
So far my DSSD has been keeping my smile fresh when I look down and feels ok now that I'm healthy again, but the Diver is sure calling, especially the FC that I can't afford(unless I get rid of my DS and GMTc, the horror).
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 09:10 AM   #150
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Don't you guys see that its weird for a whole ss watch to have two small black stud sticking out? Looks like a cartoon watch or a play watch to me. Sorry guys, just my opinion.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote