The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2018, 01:15 AM   #1
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

'new' warranty cards + question

I'm looking to acquire a pre-owned from a seller in EU.
he's sent me all photos of the card and papers, and i noticed the warranty card does not have the AD stamp or date.

he's telling the 'new' cards now require electronic (online) registration, and no longer have stamping by ADs.
the watch, card and books all have consistent serial# stamps.

can anyone verify if this is true?
I'm just wondering how does AP verify purchase date (and therefore warranty expiration) if there's no paper trail (assuming no printed receipt from AD)?

lastly, anyone know if JB Jewelers in Israel and UK is an AP AD?

tks!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 01:50 AM   #2
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

This is true, no stamp or date they are activated by an electronic scanning system each AD/Boutique has.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 02:06 AM   #3
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCharlotte View Post
This is true, no stamp or date they are activated by an electronic scanning system each AD/Boutique has.
Chris what do the new cards look like?

From the OP’s wording it’s looks as is the card may have spaces for the information that’s missing?!

Also OP’s noted they said online registration, shouldn’t they have information on that date as if it’s preowned it’s already somewhere into it warranty period?!

Just thinking if the cards are not marked in anyway how does some verify a watches age? Would they have to contact AP?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 02:06 AM   #4
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCharlotte View Post
...they are activated by an electronic scanning system each AD/Boutique has.
does this mean it must be ACTIVATED by the AD before it leaves their ownership?

cuz in a reseller environment, what would happen if it left the AD to a reseller to a new owner... all without being ACTIVATED at the original AD?
Old 26 January 2018, 02:12 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post

cuz in a reseller environment, what would happen if it left the AD to a reseller to a new owner... all without being ACTIVATED at the original AD?
Same as rolex no? There would be no warranty but the AD would have to answer for why they did not scan the purchase in. I would think this would be uncommon.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:15 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

it is activated at AD. That way AP knows who bought it as its not anonymous... pay with a card and they have your name and pay with cash and paperwork is required for large sums and they have your name. Then you register for extra three year warranty online. That way AP knows who registered it.

buy too many watches that someone else registers, you get blacklisted because you are a grey dealer. Thats what AP told me.

no activation = no warranty AFAIK
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 02:20 AM   #7
SC11
Banned

Some resellers work with AD’s so the AD scans the card at a later date once the reseller has made the sale!

Or the watch is just running down its warranty while in the hands of the reseller and your BNIB watch might have few months of its warranty missing when you buy it.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:31 AM   #8
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Some resellers work with AD’s so the AD scans the card at a later date once the reseller has made the sale!

Or the watch is just running down its warranty while in the hands of the reseller and your BNIB watch might have few months of its warranty missing when you buy it.
so if not activated at AD, and the original AD can't/won't work the reseller, the new potential buyer is SOL.. am i getting this right?
Old 26 January 2018, 02:31 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

gaming the system. Im assuming that is also why AP is moving to more brand controlled points of sale/ restricting popular models away from ADs. Independent AD's can do creative accounting where as a brand controlled point of sale is controlled by AP.
Old 26 January 2018, 02:45 AM   #10
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
gaming the system. Im assuming that is also why AP is moving to more brand controlled points of sale/ restricting popular models away from ADs. Independent AD's can do creative accounting where as a brand controlled point of sale is controlled by AP.
this sounds about right.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:19 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Be aware this has nothing to do with preowned and worn watches they are not a concern to AD’s and brands this is to do with resellers of brand new watches.

Nothing can stop the trade in new watches, they are making it so a truely brand new watch can only be had from an AD, resellers will have preowned but unworn examples (opened, desticked, names and dated)
Old 26 January 2018, 03:41 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Be aware this has nothing to do with preowned and worn watches they are not a concern to AD’s and brands this is to do with resellers of brand new watches.

Nothing can stop the trade in new watches, they are making it so a truely brand new watch can only be had from an AD, resellers will have preowned but unworn examples (opened, desticked, names and dated)
yep. true grey market, not pre owned although the line gets blurry sometimes.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:48 AM   #13
SC11
Banned

Quote:
yep. true grey market, not pre owned although the line gets blurry sometimes.
Yes you get what I mean!

The brand is trying to get a clear difference in what you get by paying retail Vs grey.

The major grey area is high demand items selling at a premium and this is not so simple to try and control.

They can up supply to meet demand but that has the concern it will dilute the brand, it’s a careful balancing act.

Where does opinion fall on regards to wait, is a 12 months wait enough to hold out for your AD before you contemplate going grey? Or is it longer or shorter.
Old 26 January 2018, 03:57 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you get what I mean!

The brand is trying to get a clear difference in what you get by paying retail Vs grey.

The major grey area is high demand items selling at a premium and this is not so simple to try and control.

They can up supply to meet demand but that has the concern it will dilute the brand, it’s a careful balancing act.

Where does opinion fall on regards to wait, is a 12 months wait enough to hold out for your AD before you contemplate going grey? Or is it longer or shorter.

This is the unresolved issue with AP 100%.

They have taken steps to cut out the grey market and control distribution which is all supply side

they have done nothing on the demand side to their customers who want watches and will pay full retail and will buy from an AD or boutique. We still dont get the watches. We are still waiting years in some cases for watches. They need to actually make more of the hot models if they want impatient people to stop wanting to go grey. I would go grey for a 15407 absolutely, AP will never actually supply it to me. So im more willing to go grey than before as waitlists are not very transparent and i dont have confidence i would get one anyway.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:07 AM   #15
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
they have done nothing on the demand side to their customers who want watches and will pay full retail and will buy from an AD or boutique. We still dont get the watches. We are still waiting years in some cases for watches. They need to actually make more of the hot models if they want impatient people to stop wanting to go grey. I would go grey for a 15407 absolutely, AP will never actually supply it to me. So im more willing to go grey than before as waitlists are not very transparent and i dont have confidence i would get one anyway.
Sounds exactly like what Patek is to me. Personally I've had zero issue with securing a 15202ST from a boutique, should expect delivery of a 15407ST from them in about 2 months (wait will be a year in total) and was allocated a 15202IP (which I have since then relinquished). I've found the process transparent and fair. With my hunt for the 5712/1A - I felt like I've been through the wringer.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 04:10 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Sounds exactly like what Patek is to me. Personally I've had zero issue with securing a 15202ST from a boutique, should expect delivery of a 15407ST from them in about 2 months (wait will be a year in total) and was allocated a 15202IP (which I have since then relinquished). I've found the process transparent and fair. With my hunt for the 5712/1A - I felt like I've been through the wringer.
if i was you i would flip the 15407 for the 5712. It makes even more sense now as it would make the retail price hike a bit easier to justify. I still think a 15407 should be easier to get than a 5711 or 5712 as there is a very limited market for an openworked watch vs a nautilus. Still cant manage to find one though.

The difference for me is i have a great AD relationship which helps with Patek. It means nothing to AP as they won't sell those watches to my AD anyway regardless of the fact they are an authorized dealer.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:11 AM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if i was you i would flip the 15407 for the 5712. It makes even more sense now as it would make the retail price hike a bit easier to justify. I still think a 15407 should be easier to get than a 5711 or 5712 as there is a very limited market for an openworked watch vs a nautilus. Still cant manage to find one though.
Not flipping the 15407 despite the crazy premiums I'm seeing for one. It's going to a relative who's wanted one for a long time. So that still leaves me at the point of not having a 5712.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 04:17 AM   #18
SC11
Banned

We always want what we can’t have!

In essence model restriction is good for the brand, it’s a balancing act between supply and demand.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Not flipping the 15407 despite the crazy premiums I'm seeing for one. It's going to a relative who's wanted one for a long time. So that still leaves me at the point of not having a 5712.
I own one and hate the price rise, but im sure most owners are thrilled. It makes me not want to wear it as much

A. if i lose it or it gets stolen im not replacing it at current prices no matter if insurance covers the new retail price or not and especially so if i have to wait.
B. I liked the fact the 12 was NOT the commodity watch when i first decided to get one, now prices are nuts. I wouldn't wear a Ceramic daytona for the same reason. I hate looking at my watches as investments as it makes it harder to enjoy them.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:22 AM   #20
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

i went onto APs site and registered the watch under my account, and it confirmed 5yr warranty. all good, right?
[ even though i didn't yet make the purchase ;) ]
Old 26 January 2018, 04:29 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i went onto APs site and registered the watch under my account, and it confirmed 5yr warranty. all good, right?
yes, you are all good. Warranty extension (3 year) at the moment is transferrable to anyone and not only for the original purchaser. The 2 year warranty the watch is sold with will always follow the watch.

From what i was told was in the future that may change with the extra warranty being possibly restricted to original purchaser (which is whoever actually sourced it from the AD).
Old 26 January 2018, 04:30 AM   #22
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Hope you buy it then as if you don’t the new buyer might have an issue!
Old 26 January 2018, 04:35 AM   #23
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 26 January 2018, 04:36 AM   #24
SC11
Banned

Quote:
look forward to the incoming
Old 26 January 2018, 04:37 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
now leverage a discount

You have the dealer without 3 years of warranty as you registered it already. That is going to be harder to sell if you pass.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #26
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
now leverage a discount

You have the dealer without 3 years of warranty as you registered it already. That is going to be harder to sell if you pass.
ha, interesting suggestion indeed.
but I'd be more fearful of bad karma than saving a few bucks... plus i think i found a very good deal on this piece, one i had been eyeing for quite awhile and commented on on a few posts here.

will (hopefully) reveal when the deal is done and package received!
Old 26 January 2018, 06:58 AM   #27
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chris what do the new cards look like?

From the OP’s wording it’s looks as is the card may have spaces for the information that’s missing?!

Also OP’s noted they said online registration, shouldn’t they have information on that date as if it’s preowned it’s already somewhere into it warranty period?!

that's what i thought too... but to the point made by others, the AD activates it before it leaves their hands. so if a reseller is sitting on it, even if bnib, the warranty clock starts ticking.

here's what the new card looks like.
I'd also show the AP site's confirmation of the registration and warranty expiration, but it shows photo of the model... keeping it hush hush until the deal gets done.
although if u look closely there is a clue.

Old 26 January 2018, 07:04 AM   #28
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Clue is Calibre 3120?
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 07:06 AM   #29
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
Clue is Calibre 3120?
OP’s has commented before on an AP he has his eye on so I bets it’s that!

Will leave the OP to do the reveal
Old 26 January 2018, 07:22 AM   #30
Pro_Watch
"TRF" Member

The new system goes like this:
The AD/Boutique have to activate the card right after the purchase. This will give the watch 2 years warranty from this point.
After that, you need to browse AP website to register and you will get another 3 years, which will be total 5 years warranty. There is no papers anymore!
Good luck
Pro_Watch is offline   Reply With Quote