The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 July 2023, 04:51 AM   #1
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

New IWC Ingenieur

Picked up my white dial Ingenieur last week and initial reaction is I love it. I did have a little buyers remorse for a short while as it is a lot of money for what it is, but having spent time with it I think it will be my daily for a long while to come so I can live with the concept of maybe having 'overpaid' a little at the outset.

In the flesh the watch is beautiful and you can tell they spent a long time on getting the look and feel right, and the bracelet and butterfly clasp look great. Also wears really well on my 6.75" wrist.

I wish it had an exhibition case back. Whilst I realise it is meant to be closed case back for its anti-magnetic qualities, the reality is you don't need a Faraday cage anymore to achieve that so I think an open case back would've been a plus, plus they already went away from tradition with the crown guards (which I think actually look pretty good). Also, I never liked in the pictures how the single digit dates had a zero before the number, 07 for example, but I actually quite like that little touch now.

The biggest gripe is that this is my first full bracelet watch without a micro adjust, and you really miss it in the current weather as the wrist swells during the hottest part of the day. I'm going to be going back to the AD to try more link options. The bracelet does come with a mixed combination of full and half links but I think they need to give you more links to try and find the perfect fit (it came with very few extra links compared to other bracelet watches I have owned). Currently I can only get it too loose or too tight. Given how long it took them to design the watch, why couldn't they just work on an adjustable end link like in the VC Overseas or the new Nautilus? I've seen they will provide an adjustable clasp (for additional cost I believe) but the one I have seen which I think is from the Pilots watch will just butcher the beauty of the bracelet. An adjustable end link is definitely the biggest miss of this watch in my opinion.

On packaging, I think IWC have gone too far down the environmentally friendly route, just a cardboard box containing a nice travel pouch. It's a nice execution with the hidden compartment for the link changing tools (which is really easy by the way) but for the asking price I would prefer a tree to be chopped down to make me a nice mahogany box.

I'm new to this forum so will now attempt to post some pictures.
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:14 AM   #2
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Congratulations, very nice incoming.
The watch is overpriced, but it is definitely a looker.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 05:54 AM   #3
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Congrats on your watch, if you like it it’s all that matters.
Old 11 July 2023, 07:19 AM   #4
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Looks great. Congratulations!
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 07:48 AM   #5
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Congrats, looks really nice and thanks for the review.
It's disappointing at the lack of micro adjust at the price point- but the watch certainly looks lovely.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 12:22 AM   #6
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Congratulations, very nice incoming.
The watch is overpriced, but it is definitely a looker.
Say what you want, but aren't they all overpriced.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:05 AM   #7
JPBlackBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Congrats on the new watch. It looks great. Did you see any other dial colors? Just curious how the others looked and if you preferred the white over the black?
JPBlackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:07 AM   #8
TTSubforMe
"TRF" Member

I haven’t warmed up to it yet as I’ve only seen pictures. Will be looking at it when I have time to visit AD.
TTSubforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:09 AM   #9
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBlackBay View Post
Congrats on the new watch. It looks great. Did you see any other dial colors? Just curious how the others looked and if you preferred the white over the black?
Thank you. I saw the black dial as well which also looked really nice, just personal preference. I always wanted the white dial as that was missing in my collection. Apparently the aqua / teal dial is taking a lot longer to produce as hand painted (although I don't know if that is true or how that differs from the other dials).
Old 12 July 2023, 01:11 AM   #10
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Have a black dial on order as well, can't wait!
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:56 AM   #11
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

New IWC Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post

The biggest gripe is that this is my first full bracelet watch without a micro adjust, and you really miss it in the current weather as the wrist swells during the hottest part of the day. I'm going to be going back to the AD to try more link options. The bracelet does come with a mixed combination of full and half links but I think they need to give you more links to try and find the perfect fit (it came with very few extra links compared to other bracelet watches I have owned). Currently I can only get it too loose or too tight.

I have the same issue! I've ordered another "small link" to replace one of the "large links" and hope that it will make it fit like I want it to. I will get the adjustable clasp once it's available. I'm loving the white dial and think that the overall execution is great. It doesn't feel at all overpriced to me.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 02:33 AM   #12
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
New IWC Ingenieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
Say what you want, but aren't they all overpriced.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Don’t get me started…
The price is not preventing me to put my name on the list for the IWC Ingenieur Aqua and stalk the boutique for a speedy delivery.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 03:26 AM   #13
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
I have the same issue! I've ordered another "small link" to replace one of the "large links" and hope that it will make it fit like I want it to. I will get the adjustable clasp once it's available. I'm loving the white dial and think that the overall execution is great. It doesn't feel at all overpriced to me.

Looks great on you. I've seen the adjustable clasp on a Watch Advisor video but not a big fan. Fortunately the really hot weather doesn't last too long here and the fit is almost perfect otherwise. Just seems such an oversight to not have an extending end link either side of the clasp. Even if it didn't look great it wouldn't be a huge issue as only ever used in extremis. Fingers crossed they'll work it out in due course as it's the only thing preventing a great watch being a perfect watch in my opinion.
Old 12 July 2023, 03:30 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Very nice, congratulations
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:55 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Lovely watch at 40% of the current retail price (excluding taxes too). Will wait for the multiple pop ups on the secondary market to potentially grab one.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:13 PM   #16
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Congratulations again and thanks for sharing the pictures! I love it and I hope you wear it in great health.
I paid a deposit for the black dial and am still waiting to receive it - it seems it will take some time though!
I respect everyone's opinion, but personally I don't think it is overpriced.
Enjoy it!
Old 12 July 2023, 11:37 PM   #17
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Great looking watch. It's always tough getting a perfect fit on butterfly clasp bracelets but they are hard to beat in terms of looks and lack of bulk at the clasp. You'll probably have to fool with a few different link combinations but eventually you'll get a good fit. Looks like it fits your wrist really well. Congrats!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 09:09 PM   #18
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Great looking watch. It's always tough getting a perfect fit on butterfly clasp bracelets but they are hard to beat in terms of looks and lack of bulk at the clasp. You'll probably have to fool with a few different link combinations but eventually you'll get a good fit. Looks like it fits your wrist really well. Congrats!
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, will be popping into the AD, but having had a good look at the bracelet there are different size links (small and medium) so now feeling confident I will get the right fit after a bit of trial and error. It would be a lot easier if they gave you a few more links to work with as standard though.
Old 14 July 2023, 09:30 PM   #19
Grayblack
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the beautiful piece! How long ago did you place your deposit?
Grayblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 11:56 PM   #20
DGP
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.
I picked mine up in the middle of May but my wrist was too large for the bracelet. It took about a month for Geneva to send two extra links required ! I find it incredible and having spent so much money developing and launching the watch that IWC did not issue each boutique with extra links before beginning to dispatching the watches.
But now I can finally wear it, I absolutely love the watch and I’ve been wearing it for the last couple weeks. As for price/value everyone has to make up their own mind, but I think pitched midway between a Rolex sub Mariner and Blancplain 50 fathoms seems fair to me.
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 03:36 AM   #21
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice piece and it fits your wrist well; enjoy! On the fence in requesting one at the moment. The white faced one you have is 2nd on my list if I can't get a Ti one.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote