The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 July 2023, 01:58 PM   #1
wp000011
"TRF" Member

GP Laureato Skeleton vs Cartier Santons Skeleton

Recently thinking of getting either the GP Laureato Skeleton or the Cartier Santons Skeleton

Would like to get one of these or even both of them...

Any owner's recommendations or comments on these two watches? Could you guys give me some thoughts, please?
wp000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 06:38 PM   #2
shafran
"TRF" Member

aesthetically I prefer

the gp laureato skeleton. Also I like it because its sportier
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 01:10 AM   #3
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
You definitely need to try them on and see what you think of each of them. While I like the overall look of the GP, I've tried on several Laureatos, and they never fit my wrist correctly. In full disclosure I've not tried on a Laureato skeleton.

That being said, I've tried on the Santos Skeleton and it's really a cool watch. A few friends own them, and they are great looking, comfortable, and they really like them. I've owned a non skeleton steel blue dial Santos for 4 years and it's been a great watch.

Although, the Laureato came out before the Nautilus, and is not a Genta design, many people look at it as just another derivative of the RO and Nautilus - especially since GP dumped the original bracelet in favor of something that looks based on the Nautilus. I am a big fan of watches with integrated bracelets that were designed in the 70's and 80s, but for me the Laureato always falls a bit flat in person, be it the dials, the fit, or the bracelet (which I don't think is an nice as that of the Chopard Alpine Eagle, Cartier Santos, RO, Nautilus, or Ingenieur).

I respect GP, but I'd rather have the Santos. It's an iconic design that stands on its own, the skeleton movement is very cool, and it fits most wrists very comfortably. It also has the Quickswitch bracelet system, which really makes the watch incredibly versatile and you can easily change from the metal bracelet to an alligator, calf or rubber strap which completely changes the look and feel of the watch. They also have more boutiques/ADs, great warranty and great service.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 01:18 AM   #4
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Cartier's skeleton movement is pretty damn cool, with a bit a technology behind it that I don't think a lot of other skeleton movements have.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 01:44 PM   #5
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
You definitely need to try them on and see what you think of each of them. While I like the overall look of the GP, I've tried on several Laureatos, and they never fit my wrist correctly. In full disclosure I've not tried on a Laureato skeleton.

That being said, I've tried on the Santos Skeleton and it's really a cool watch. A few friends own them, and they are great looking, comfortable, and they really like them. I've owned a non skeleton steel blue dial Santos for 4 years and it's been a great watch.

Although, the Laureato came out before the Nautilus, and is not a Genta design, many people look at it as just another derivative of the RO and Nautilus - especially since GP dumped the original bracelet in favor of something that looks based on the Nautilus. I am a big fan of watches with integrated bracelets that were designed in the 70's and 80s, but for me the Laureato always falls a bit flat in person, be it the dials, the fit, or the bracelet (which I don't think is an nice as that of the Chopard Alpine Eagle, Cartier Santos, RO, Nautilus, or Ingenieur).

I respect GP, but I'd rather have the Santos. It's an iconic design that stands on its own, the skeleton movement is very cool, and it fits most wrists very comfortably. It also has the Quickswitch bracelet system, which really makes the watch incredibly versatile and you can easily change from the metal bracelet to an alligator, calf or rubber strap which completely changes the look and feel of the watch. They also have more boutiques/ADs, great warranty and great service.
I have the same thought that thinking the GP has not got its own iconic design, although its skeleton dial is really well designed that somehow even better than the AP or any other brand...

For me I am sightly more into the Santos, however, I have had got a very good and tempting deal from a friend of mine for the GP. Otherwise, I would have chosen the Santos without thinking because of the price difference (around USD6500).

Besides (off topic), as you have mentioned the Chopard, I also got the Alpine Eagle at a nice discount, and this watch is really underrated. But sadly, some people just dislike it and think they are the copy cat.
Old 14 July 2023, 01:46 PM   #6
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Cartier's skeleton movement is pretty damn cool, with a bit a technology behind it that I don't think a lot of other skeleton movements have.
Actually, I just like the full silver tone of the cartier skeleton, it is so different from the normal dial (white/blue/etc), it just looks so nice.
Old 14 July 2023, 04:09 PM   #7
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Cartier Skeleton is big, so try before you buy.

The GP is probably my preference here, but the short hour hand relative to the minute hand has always bothered me.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 05:27 PM   #8
991C4S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm team GP. I love my Laureato and would like to add the skeleton to my collection one day.
Rolex Datejust II 116300 x Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040
991C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:25 PM   #9
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I have tried both watches, the GP from one of my friends and the Cartier at the store. Both fit my wrist perfectly, but they are two very different watches. The reason why I am struggling is because I got a very tempting offer from my friend that the price is similar to the Santos. It might be the cheapest one I can get from the market, although it's a pre-owned watch.

I agree with you that the GP is not as iconic as the Santos and is less well-known. Besides, there are so many GP listing for sale with no one buying it, and the price is dropping quite fast too (almost fall more than 40% since last year)... that makes me concerned a bit as well, although I will probably won't sell it within 5-10 years of time.
Old 14 July 2023, 09:45 PM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Tough call. I think GP, overall, is probably a better watch, but there's something I don't love about the skeletonized version of the Laureato (unless we're talking the $100k Light and Shade version). On the other hand, the large-sized Santos is just too big for a watch that shape. So, allow me to offer my two preferred alternatives:

1. For a watch from a "watchmaker's watchmaker" I've been on a big Zenith kick recently. Look at the various Zenith Defy lines, either the Classic or the Skyline, both of which have skeleton version (and are 1/3 the price of the GP or Cartier at MSRP).

2. For something from a jeweler-turned-watchmaker, the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo is beautiful. And the skeletonized face works exceptionally well with the overall design of the watch - better than any of the others mentioned in my opinion.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 02:07 PM   #11
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Tough call. I think GP, overall, is probably a better watch, but there's something I don't love about the skeletonized version of the Laureato (unless we're talking the $100k Light and Shade version). On the other hand, the large-sized Santos is just too big for a watch that shape. So, allow me to offer my two preferred alternatives:

1. For a watch from a "watchmaker's watchmaker" I've been on a big Zenith kick recently. Look at the various Zenith Defy lines, either the Classic or the Skyline, both of which have skeleton version (and are 1/3 the price of the GP or Cartier at MSRP).

2. For something from a jeweler-turned-watchmaker, the Bvlgari Octo Finissimo is beautiful. And the skeletonized face works exceptionally well with the overall design of the watch - better than any of the others mentioned in my opinion.
Thanks for your comments.

I have definately checked the Zenith Defy Skyline Skeleton as well, but its dial somehow looks like a toy watch to me...just doesn't feel right

I've also tried the Finissimo but it's way too big for my wrist, although I really love the design of its bracelet.
Old 15 July 2023, 05:35 PM   #12
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for your recommendation.

I have tried both of them. The dial of the Zenith looks like a toy watch to me, while the Finissimo is kindly too big on my wrist (its kindly too thin and big), although the bracelet of the Finissimo is very well designed.
Old 15 July 2023, 10:02 PM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp000011 View Post
Thanks for your comments.

I have definately checked the Zenith Defy Skyline Skeleton as well, but its dial somehow looks like a toy watch to me...just doesn't feel right

I've also tried the Finissimo but it's way too big for my wrist, although I really love the design of its bracelet.
I think I understand what you mean about the Zenith, and it's obviously had less visual work done to it than the GP (given the latter's substantial price premium over its closed-dial counterpart). My only other recommendation on that front would be to check out other colors (incl. the ceramic) or the Defy Classic (though dial is similar) and neither seems to be a "true" skeleton dial, rather than a dial with cutouts. The 21 chronograph IMO is the best of the Skyline skeletons since there's the most going on underneath and the greatest visibility.

Never tried the Octo on, but again, can certainly see what you're saying.

Of any discussed, I probably hold the GP in highest regards overall as a timepiece. However there's something, like I said, that doesn't "match" between the very sleek style of the watch an the very intricate look of the skeletonized dial. However, the previous silver dial version of the Laureato 38 was probably my absolute favorite watch during the time it was produced.

Also should add: The GP Bridges Infinity, while not a truly skeletonized dial, is an absolute work of art.

ETA: There's also the Piaget Polo, but that might suffer the same issues as the Defy Skyline in your view.
Old 16 July 2023, 01:26 AM   #14
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

The GP and Cartier are very different watches. The GP seems sportier while Cartier is dressier. I think the Cartier has a very cool design. I think the Santos line come with a quick strap changing system, which would give this watch more flexibility than the GP.

Fit is also another consideration. The Cartier generally fit many wrist size although I do find it large given the dressy design. The GP is big at 42mm but the taper lugs work for my small 6.5in wrist when I try it.

That said, between these 2, I would favor the GP because of the execution of the skeletonize work. There are many internal angles within the skeletonized bridges and rotor, which would indicate that it was hand finished vs the Cartier that seems to be all machined by a CNC. If you’re interested in Haute Horology, it would suggest the GP is a higher-end piece than the Cartier. I was discussing this with Ichiran, one of the members who knows this well and is a high-end collector, and read his comments here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=60

This thread needs some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6052.jpeg (227.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6053.jpeg (265.4 KB, 274 views)
Old 18 July 2023, 02:21 AM   #15
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp000011 View Post
Recently thinking of getting either the GP Laureato Skeleton or the Cartier Santons Skeleton

Would like to get one of these or even both of them...

Any owner's recommendations or comments on these two watches? Could you guys give me some thoughts, please?
I have both. I find the way GP executed the skeleton more intoxicating to look at, but also easier to read. My preference on the Santos is Steel/Blue, Steel/Green, YG/White, but with classic dials. The other thing to consider is that the GP is an automatic, so watching the roto spin through the skeleton face is a fun wrinkle that you would not be able to enjoy on the Santos Skeleton, as it is a manual wind. The Pasha; however, I believe is an automatic skeleton

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 11:36 AM   #16
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I really like the GP skeleton but couldnt justify the price tag when i explored it compared to other watches on my hunt list like a Tradition. Altho reading above that theyve dropped a lot maybe i need to start looking again.
Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
PhilLynott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 07:52 PM   #17
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahoess View Post
I have both. I find the way GP executed the skeleton more intoxicating to look at, but also easier to read. My preference on the Santos is Steel/Blue, Steel/Green, YG/White, but with classic dials. The other thing to consider is that the GP is an automatic, so watching the roto spin through the skeleton face is a fun wrinkle that you would not be able to enjoy on the Santos Skeleton, as it is a manual wind. The Pasha; however, I believe is an automatic skeleton

B
The steel/blue and the black ADLC were also in my radar before I met the skeleton at the boutique, the skeleton just stood out comparing those three. The pasha was great, but when you put on the bracelet (strap), it just doesn't catch my eye that much.
Old 18 July 2023, 07:59 PM   #18
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
The GP and Cartier are very different watches. The GP seems sportier while Cartier is dressier. I think the Cartier has a very cool design. I think the Santos line come with a quick strap changing system, which would give this watch more flexibility than the GP.

Fit is also another consideration. The Cartier generally fit many wrist size although I do find it large given the dressy design. The GP is big at 42mm but the taper lugs work for my small 6.5in wrist when I try it.

That said, between these 2, I would favor the GP because of the execution of the skeletonize work. There are many internal angles within the skeletonized bridges and rotor, which would indicate that it was hand finished vs the Cartier that seems to be all machined by a CNC. If you’re interested in Haute Horology, it would suggest the GP is a higher-end piece than the Cartier. I was discussing this with Ichiran, one of the members who knows this well and is a high-end collector, and read his comments here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=60

This thread needs some pics
For both watches, they can be a sporty watch and dress watch in different ways. I have a even smaller wrist than you, around 6.1-6.2 inches, but I still found that both watch fits me well.

Well, if it is the Earth to Sky edition, I will get it without thinking...I can hardly see one up for sale. Even they do, it's gonna be real expensive. Actually I have found one all black version (skeleton) up for sale, with is just $1,500 more than my offer for the steel one. But comparing these two, I think the steel version is kinda better looking than the all black. What you think?
Old 19 July 2023, 01:06 PM   #19
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

is the GP hand skeletonized or have hand work, or is it machine/lasers
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2023, 03:42 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Now, if you were talking about this Santos skeleton...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ainless-steel/
Old 24 July 2023, 11:58 AM   #21
wp000011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now, if you were talking about this Santos skeleton...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ainless-steel/
This dial is a beauty, but it's kindly too formal to wear daily?
Hublot Big Bang Integral All Black / VC Overseas 4500V Blue Dial / Chopard Alpine Eagle Grey Dial / Cartier Santos Black ADLC / Omega Seamaster Blue with Sedna Gold / AP RO Offshore Bumblebee / AP RO 26135ST / PP Aquanaut 5060A / RM07 AI TI / GP Laureato Skeleton / Datejust Blue Jubilee / Yatch Master I / Milgauss / Explorer I / Submariner / Panerai Luminor 1950 10-Days GMT Black Ceramic / Black Bay 58 Blue / Breitling Skyracer Blacksteel