The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 February 2024, 02:39 PM   #1
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
VC Overseas Dual Time 47450 vs 7900V

I am pretty sure that one of these is going to be my next watch. I have always loved the VC Dual Time and I would be content if it was my "exit" watch (famous last words! ), as I would be selling most of my watches to fund the purchase.

I have tried on the 7900V and I love everything about it. it looks and wears great.
However, I am also drawn to the previous gen, 47450. Maybe it's the funkiness of the dial. I know it's 1mm larger in case size and solid case back...but I am wondering how it wears vs the 7900V. To me how it wears is the most important when buying a watch and I have found that anything over 42mm starts to get uncomfortable when wearing for extended periods of time.
Also, it's about 10K cheaper.

I also wonder if I will get tired of the dial of the 47450. While much more interesting, the dial of the 7900V just comes across as much more classic.

Would love to hear opinions from those who have experience with both models.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 11:14 PM   #2
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
I struggle with Gen2 vs Gen3. A lot of us have. The Gen2 42.5 does not wear large IMO but you’ll definitely need to try one on for yourself.

Personally I prefer the Gen2 case design and the 42.5mm suits me much better. I don’t like the ‘washer’ between the gen3 case and bezel. I don’t understand why that is sandwiched in between the otherwise beautiful bezel and case. Look at your two images, where the bezel meets the case is much more beautiful on the Gen2

Even with a clear preference for the Gen2, the struggle is real. The beautiful displayed movement and quick change straps of the gen3 keep causing indecision.

After years of personal debate I am focusing on finding the right Gen2 chronograph.
Old 26 February 2024, 12:41 AM   #3
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I struggle with Gen2 vs Gen3. A lot of us have. The Gen2 42.5 does not wear large IMO but you’ll definitely need to try one on for yourself.

Personally I prefer the Gen2 case design and the 42.5mm suits me much better. I don’t like the ‘washer’ between the gen3 case and bezel. I don’t understand why that is sandwiched in between the otherwise beautiful bezel and case. Look at your two images, where the bezel meets the case is much more beautiful on the Gen2

Even with a clear preference for the Gen2, the struggle is real. The beautiful displayed movement and quick change straps of the gen3 keep causing indecision.

After years of personal debate I am focusing on finding the right Gen2 chronograph.
I have never noticed the "washer" before. Thanks for pointing it out.
And for the chrono, I think I would prefer the chrono, as I really like the large date windows, it's placement, and overall symmetry of the dial.

I definitely want to see the gen 2 dual time in person. But I have yet to come across one here in Korea.
Old 26 February 2024, 01:30 AM   #4
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
I like the previous version myself.
Old 26 February 2024, 02:21 AM   #5
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I own the v7900 with the silver dial and absolutely love it. It could be my only watch. With the quick change system it can be dressed up and down as you wish and it can be truly used everywhere with the 150m water resistance. And it flies much more under the radar than e.g. my Royal Oak.

To me the dial layout of the gen2 is simply too busy. Plus having the ability to see the beautifully finished in-house Geneva seal movement and gold rotor through the display caseback is truly half of the fun!
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2024, 03:43 PM   #6
Doood
"TRF" Member

I prefer 2nd gen for both dual time and chrono. Maybe no in-house movement, but 2nd gen just wears thinner, and I like the 2nd gen am/pm indicator. Also prefer the pusher at 2 versus 4, and all indices lumed. Guilloche dial is nice. I do like the hands better on third gen.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 02:38 PM   #7
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I struggle with Gen2 vs Gen3. A lot of us have.
Agree, I went back and forth over a number of months. Even after ordering and waiting for my 7900v. I really like the dark stream version (?) 47450/000W-9511 and adding the s/s bracelet.

Clear case back, in-house movement, included straps, micro extension on bracelet and 7 years warranty won me over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
And for the chrono, I think I would prefer the chrono, as I really like the large date windows, it's placement, and overall symmetry of the dial.
I love everything about the 2nd gen chrono accept that the minute sub dial is larger than the other 2 and ruins the symmetry IMO. Once you see it, It's difficult to unsee it.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 02:48 PM   #8
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love everything about the 2nd gen chrono accept that the minute sub dial is larger than the other 2 and ruins the symmetry IMO. Once you see it, It's difficult to unsee it.
Oh my god you're right! I never noticed it before.
Old 28 February 2024, 10:10 PM   #9
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
I own the v7900 with the silver dial and absolutely love it. It could be my only watch. With the quick change system it can be dressed up and down as you wish and it can be truly used everywhere with the 150m water resistance. And it flies much more under the radar than e.g. my Royal Oak.

To me the dial layout of the gen2 is simply too busy. Plus having the ability to see the beautifully finished in-house Geneva seal movement and gold rotor through the display caseback is truly half of the fun!

I wholeheartedly agree with the above.
My first VC was the silver 7900v, and it could easily be a one and done watch for me.

I think it’s basically perfect, that’s what I would choose if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 10:34 PM   #10
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Agree, I went back and forth over a number of months. Even after ordering and waiting for my 7900v. I really like the dark stream version (?) 47450/000W-9511 and adding the s/s bracelet.

Clear case back, in-house movement, included straps, micro extension on bracelet and 7 years warranty won me over.
I forgot about the micro adjustment. That’s a big one. Why did you do this to me? I finally settle on the Gen2 and now you post this logic and stuff
Old 28 February 2024, 11:49 PM   #11
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the above.
My first VC was the silver 7900v, and it could easily be a one and done watch for me.

I think it’s basically perfect, that’s what I would choose if I were you.

In order to get the VC, I have to sell a few watches. They all have been sold as of today!
There is a dealer here in Seoul that has one from 2019 for sale. I actually went to look at it a couple months ago and it is in fantastic condition. It is still available (kind of surprised but also not...VC is really a niche brand here. In Korea it's all about Rolex) so I am going to look at it again tomorrow. So in 12 hours, it may be on my wrist!
Old 29 February 2024, 02:33 PM   #12
dshin525
"TRF" Member

And......BOOM!

This was at the store.
As soon as I brought it home, I put on the rubber strap.

I knew the easy change strap system would be convenient....but I cannot believe just how easy it actually is!

Here's a couple close up pics.

I got this with the intention that it will be my "exit" watch of sorts. I am sure I will be buying/selling more in the not too distant future...but as of now, I have my grail and couldn't be happier!

Also, for anyone who is curious, this was a full set with all straps (bracelet, blue rubber, and black leather) and I ended up paying just over $20K USD equivalent. The shop originally had the price at around $24K and had been dropping the price over the past few months. When I went in, it was $21K and I was able to negotiate some more discount.
VCs here in Korea are not widely known. There is a market for new VCs (popular models still have wait lists) but there doens't seem to be much activity in the used market. My theory is that those who know about VCs here are very well off and don't bother buying used.
Old 29 February 2024, 07:25 PM   #13
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Oh wow! Well done!
Congratulations and I am very happy if was of any assistance to you.
It looks great on you. I also wear it on a blue strap, you made a great decision and I wish you many years of happiness wearing this beautiful watch.
Welcome to the VC family!

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 08:02 PM   #14
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
Oh wow! Well done!
Congratulations and I am very happy if was of any assistance to you.
It looks great on you. I also wear it on a blue strap, you made a great decision and I wish you many years of happiness wearing this beautiful watch.
Welcome to the VC family!

Amazing! We are now internet VC twins!
I'm curious what you set your "home time" to. For most GMTs, even if you set the "home time" to your local time, the GMT hand is visible. But with the dual time, if you set the same as your local time, the GMT hand will be under the local hour hand and move at the same rate.
I usually set my "home time" to EST so this isn't an issue (even though I've been living in Korea for 3 yrs, I will always consider Ann Arbor MI my home). But I am curious what other Dual Time owners do.
Old 29 February 2024, 09:56 PM   #15
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
And......BOOM!

This was at the store.
As soon as I brought it home, I put on the rubber strap.

I knew the easy change strap system would be convenient....but I cannot believe just how easy it actually is!

Here's a couple close up pics.

I got this with the intention that it will be my "exit" watch of sorts. I am sure I will be buying/selling more in the not too distant future...but as of now, I have my grail and couldn't be happier!

Also, for anyone who is curious, this was a full set with all straps (bracelet, blue rubber, and black leather) and I ended up paying just over $20K USD equivalent. The shop originally had the price at around $24K and had been dropping the price over the past few months. When I went in, it was $21K and I was able to negotiate some more discount.
VCs here in Korea are not widely known. There is a market for new VCs (popular models still have wait lists) but there doens't seem to be much activity in the used market. My theory is that those who know about VCs here are very well off and don't bother buying used.

Welcome to the silver dial club. It is such an underrated dial color compared to the electric blue. I bought it at retail so a tiny bit sad that secondary values dropped that much, but good for you, and I don’t intend to ever sell this beauty anyhow.

It is a total strap monster by the way, here is mine on a bespoke alligator strap I ordered from the boutique.

Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 10:30 PM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch, enjoy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 10:38 PM   #17
RTG

Congratulations! Great day
Old 1 March 2024, 11:39 AM   #18
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Grats, IMO you made the right choice & at an excellent price point.

Re your GMT time zone question - I live in Australia and majority of my colleagues are based in the US (CST).

Have you checked if the original owner registered on VC the hour club website to extend the factory warranty?
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 01:48 PM   #19
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Grats, IMO you made the right choice & at an excellent price point.

Re your GMT time zone question - I live in Australia and majority of my colleagues are based in the US (CST).

Have you checked if the original owner registered on VC the hour club website to extend the factory warranty?
Good call! I didnt bother bc you had to register within the original warranty period of 2 yrs and mine is from 2019. If the original owner did register, than does the extended warranty transfer?