The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2018, 04:23 AM   #1
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

SOS: Anyone know how to temp import item into USA for repair? ARGH

Sigh. This a major pain point for us and are desperate to get advice on how to get watch related repair items into the USA for temporary import for a term of 10-30 days.

Anytime we speak with at FedEx or USPS, etc we are told we did things incorrectly and "next time do it this way.......". However, regardless of the numerous ways laid out to us we end up with a duty bill for items we are not purchasing and no longer have in our possession. It's annoying when the current person we are speaking with bad mouth the previous person as "not knowing what they are doing". Our last call, I believe, might be same person, currently and previously, so essentially she was train driving herself.

Our most current bill is $350 for a $150 polishing job from Canada. We have about a good 6-8 hrs invested in calls and online research on this one alone but we have a 1-2 of these every month.

HELP! Anyone know anything about how to do this in a reliable, repeatable way? Any help would be very very much appreciated!

Mike
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:26 AM   #2
Kh114060
"TRF" Member

Watch: $500 Tourbillon
So I recently had gone through a sale where the item sent and item presented on the ad had some discrepancies.

Ended up returning the item but got stuck with import duties...

Looked into it and if the package and the declaration clearly states that the item is either a gift or for repair then duties can be waived.

Since my experience, I have sellers clearly mark all over the box and the declaration that the item is a gift or for repairs.

Been working for me so far.
Kh114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:33 AM   #3
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

One would really believe so, but all item sent to us for repair and declared as "repair items".

1. Declared as watch or bracelet for repair
2. Some send us a copy of the original purchase receipt
3. We've even tried providing customers with our own label to ensure customs declaration is correct.

For sure we end us with a duty bill and sometimes the customer gets on upon return as well. Double Duty!
Old 1 November 2018, 04:38 AM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
One would really believe so, but all item sent to us for repair and declared as "repair items".

1. Declared as watch or bracelet for repair
2. Some send us a copy of the original purchase receipt
3. We've even tried providing customers with our own label to ensure customs declaration is correct.

For sure we end us with a duty bill and sometimes the customer gets on upon return as well. Double Duty!
Have you looked here?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...g-without-duty

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...dWFUM1RFLW4%3D
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:44 AM   #5
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

haha yes we have them bookmarked.
Old 1 November 2018, 04:49 AM   #6
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
That messed up, sounds like a huge cash grab. I reside in Canada and have had to send watches for repair to the US on occasion. Not sure if this helps you much, but my lessons learned are:

- Never use UPS for cross border shipping - they tend to charge exorbitant brokerage fees, and really dont serve you as client at all.
- USPS/Canada Post or Fedex are preferred - I have had better experiences with them in general.
- If I am being requested to pay customs duties, or for a shipping company to act as broker, I decline. I go to the shipping depot/customs warehouse and fill in the required documentation myself - 9/10 customs ends up being waived. This is a time investment but not much given that I live close; plus I get more satisfaction from sticking it the system.
-Whenever possible ship within the US - I can pickup from my local US post box. Declare at the border, and get waived through.
-My experience is that as soon as customs officials (Canada side) see "watch" on the declaration it triggers deeper interrogation of the shipment. I always keep the original purchase receipts on correspondence with repair company and include as proof.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:52 AM   #7
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Hmmm. Yes this is very helpful.
Old 2 November 2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Most countries customs have forms to fill in for temporary imports and exports. When I did this in a former job, we had a shipper that did this for us. But I have also done it myself, it is basically one form for the temporary export out of the first country, and then one form for the temporary import in the receiving country. Every form needs to be stamped on entry and exit. It usually helps a lot having the temporary export papers when doing the temporary import. Whoever is doing the import/export _should_ know how to do this, but in my experience most shipping companies do not.

I have successfully temporary imported 100k USD worth of goods into Brazil without paying the customs(80%) and VAT(16%). They first claimed that I had to pay that and get reimbursed when leaving, but my "unlimited" company credit card actually had a limit so that was not an option(I checked that before I left and would have taken first flight back if I failed). It took a few hours to get through.

I have also failed once in India, I was missing a form that I did not know that I needed(miscommunication from a colleague), that was expensive...

There is also something called an ATA carnet that you can use in countries that are part of that system. But it is too expensive for what you are doing. We used that when bringing stuff into the US.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 06:52 AM   #9
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
You are not alone. I keep getting the shaft from Canada Post.

I had to send a jacket back to the USA for an exchange. When it came back up to me, even though it was declared as a warranty exchange, I was still hit with a $95 broker and tax bill.

Nothing like paying taxes on the same item twice!

I can send all documentation in and try for a refund but I would not get it. I have been denied every time I have tried. It is a total cash grab on behalf of the Canadian Government. They know %90 of the time people won't try and claim back and when they do try, they get denied.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:19 AM   #10
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
You are not alone. I keep getting the shaft from Canada Post.

I can send all documentation in and try for a refund but I would not get it. I have been denied every time I have tried. It is a total cash grab on behalf of the Canadian Government. They know %90 of the time people won't try and claim back and when they do try, they get denied.
I hear you, frustrating as hell. CBSA are a well lubed money grab machine. I will say this, if you have the time and fortitude you can take them on at their own game. You are entitled to reject delivery on those terms, and act as your own broker. Go down to the PO, fill out your own brokerage forms with a stack of supporting paperwork, and 9/10 (in my experience) they waive the duties and PST/GST if appropriate. They completely rely on muted acquiescence of the masses. If you become more work than a rubber stamp they tend to roll.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 07:23 AM   #11
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
I hear you, frustrating as hell. CBSA are a well lubed money grab machine. I will say this, if you have the time and fortitude you can take them on at their own game. You are entitled to reject delivery on those terms, and act as your own broker. Go down to the PO, fill out your own brokerage forms with a stack of supporting paperwork, and 9/10 (in my experience) they waive the duties and PST/GST if appropriate. They completely rely on muted acquiescence of the masses. If you become more work than a rubber stamp they tend to roll.
With Canada Post the brokerage fee is minimal. It is the PST/GST I get angry about.

I called them about it also and the lady I spoke to was quite rigid and I wanted to reach through the phone line and strangle her. She basically said no matter how it is documented, you will pay taxes if an amount is declared. Warranty replacement or not.

To be able to have shipping insurance, my replacement jacket had to be sent back with a value allotted so I kept getting hammered.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:00 PM   #12
Pop Alexandra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
With Canada Post the brokerage fee is minimal. It is the PST/GST I get angry about.

I called them about it also and the lady I spoke to was quite rigid and I wanted to reach through the phone line and strangle her. She basically said no matter how it is documented, you will pay taxes if an amount is declared. Warranty replacement or not.

To be able to have shipping insurance, my replacement jacket had to be sent back with a value allotted so I kept getting hammered.
I used W2C a couple of years ago. A bit more expensive than by post, but at least a week faster.
Pop Alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote