The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 1 August 2021, 08:40 PM   #1
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Fully vaccinated and still Got COVID-19

I've been a hypochondriac throughout this COVID-19 crisis. The way things opened up here since late April made me rush for the vaccine. The only one available for my age group at the time being AZ, which gave me some nasty side effects. Never let down guard, even after the mandatory 2 weeks period after the 2nd jab.
Two days ago I began to feel like my nose was dry. Chalked it up to the AC; all too common. Yesterday was a bit "somehow" with slightly runny nose and a mild temperature (36,9 C) which is by no means alarming but for me, it is a sign of something not being 100% fine.
Friday night and yesteday night too, 2 self-tests; both negative.
This morning got up with 37C and my nose much better.
Thought I should re-test.
Saliva self test turns out slightly reactive.
Went and bought a couple more tests both salivary and nasal.
Repeated and both were clearly reactive so tomorrow I'm due for a PCR and looking at 10 days of self-isolation.
I am by no means in a bad shape and if it wasn't for the COVID-19 times we're living in, I would have probably just popped some cold+flu caps and went on with my business as usual.
So, takeaway from this all, people please get vaccinated, you stand a better chance. There is no way this thing can be totally contained and nobody is safe from contracting it. No matter how careful you are. I know I've been. Maybe that's why I didn't get it in 18 months. Maybe it's pure chance. Who can really tell?
Thing is that so far, I'm feeling quite alright,in fact the AZ side-effects were 100fold more severe from what I'm experiencing now. Hope it stays this way and clears up soon. But please, do get vaccinated and even then, if you sometime feel off, do get tested so that you won't be part of the problem anymore than humanely possible.
Old 1 August 2021, 09:01 PM   #2
xrole
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that mate but glad it's only mild. It's really important that people understand that being vaccinated doesn't stop you contracting COVID, but it does dramatically lessen the seriousness of the infection and associated risks of hospitalization. For vaccinated people in decent health who are not very old, COVID should feel like a cold or mild case of flu.

Everyone that can legitimately do so should get vaccinated.
Old 1 August 2021, 09:25 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

As xrole has said.

Vaccination or not you can still catch Covid and transmit it.

Surely this is common knowledge?

Old 1 August 2021, 09:28 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
As xrole has said.

Exactly.^^^

Do it for someone else.
Old 1 August 2021, 09:36 PM   #5
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As xrole has said.

You'll be surprised how gullible and susceptible to various theories a large part of society is... I knew I would eventually run into the virus at some point. And that's why I got vaccinated in the first place. Many people still refuse to do so and go about their daily routine as if nothing happened.
So let this be an example, vaccine or not , you could get infected and transmit. Besides, the purpose of a vaccine is not necessarily to prevent infection but rather to enable the body to respond on time and minimize severity.
Old 1 August 2021, 10:27 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I am almost certain it went through our house as well a month back. My wife and I both vaccinated, my 2 year old not of course.
Old 1 August 2021, 10:27 PM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was vaccinated in January 2021 and the rest of my immediate and extended family, with the exception of those under 12, have been vaccinated as well since then. It was so nice in the US to resume activities normally for awhile. Whole family got together for a week and it felt so good and worry-free. I'm bummed that Delta has changed the risk/benefit for vaccinated and unvaccinated alike, obviously to different degrees. So I'll be back to wearing a mask voluntarily indoors as it seems recent data supports this measure even for those who are vaccinated.

Unfortunately, while we can control the rate of spread with behavioral modifications like masking and distancing, ultimately just about everyone in the world will eventually have an interaction with this virus, a vaccine, or more likely both. I just read an article that 50% of white tailed deer in Michigan have SARS Cov-2 antibodies (scientists are trying to figure out natural reservoirs in other species for this virus). Deer FFS! So may as well suit up your immunes systems folks.
Old 1 August 2021, 10:31 PM   #8
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I think the main problem is that the last 20-25% of the population is not getting the vaccine and are hoping the herd immunity kicks in. This is not good. I read the other day that 99% of people now hospitalized for COVID do not have any vaccinations. This is a tell tale sign. What peeves me is that when and if there is another lockdown, the business suffer, people suffer etc, and the population who complains the most of the lockdown…..the 20-25% of non vaccinated. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was vaccinated in January 2021 and the rest of my immediate and extended family, with the exception of those under 12, have been vaccinated as well since then. It was so nice in the US to resume activities normally for awhile. Whole family got together for a week and it felt so good and worry-free. I'm bummed that Delta has changed the risk/benefit for vaccinated and unvaccinated alike, obviously to different degrees. So I'll be back to wearing a mask voluntarily indoors as it seems recent data supports this measure even for those who are vaccinated.

Unfortunately, while we can control the rate of spread with behavioral modifications like masking and distancing, ultimately just about everyone in the world will eventually have an interaction with this virus, a vaccine, or more likely both. I just read an article that 50% of white tailed deer in Michigan have SARS Cov-2 antibodies (scientists are trying to figure out natural reservoirs in other species for this virus). Deer FFS! So may as well suit up your immunes systems folks.
What scares me is chronic wasting disease that deer carry. That shit is horrific. Lord help us if that jumps to humans.
Old 1 August 2021, 10:57 PM   #10
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
What scares me is chronic wasting disease that deer carry. That shit is horrific. Lord help us if that jumps to humans.
One more thing I wasn't aware of that will keep me up at night. If I'm going to waste away I want it to be by choice like Keith Richards
Old 1 August 2021, 11:17 PM   #11
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
I've been a hypochondriac throughout this COVID-19 crisis. The way things opened up here since late April made me rush for the vaccine. The only one available for my age group at the time being AZ, which gave me some nasty side effects. Never let down guard, even after the mandatory 2 weeks period after the 2nd jab.
Two days ago I began to feel like my nose was dry. Chalked it up to the AC; all too common. Yesterday was a bit "somehow" with slightly runny nose and a mild temperature (36,9 C) which is by no means alarming but for me, it is a sign of something not being 100% fine.
Friday night and yesteday night too, 2 self-tests; both negative.
This morning got up with 37C and my nose much better.
Thought I should re-test.
Saliva self test turns out slightly reactive.
Went and bought a couple more tests both salivary and nasal.
Repeated and both were clearly reactive so tomorrow I'm due for a PCR and looking at 10 days of self-isolation.
I am by no means in a bad shape and if it wasn't for the COVID-19 times we're living in, I would have probably just popped some cold+flu caps and went on with my business as usual.
So, takeaway from this all, people please get vaccinated, you stand a better chance. There is no way this thing can be totally contained and nobody is safe from contracting it. No matter how careful you are. I know I've been. Maybe that's why I didn't get it in 18 months. Maybe it's pure chance. Who can really tell?
Thing is that so far, I'm feeling quite alright,in fact the AZ side-effects were 100fold more severe from what I'm experiencing now. Hope it stays this way and clears up soon. But please, do get vaccinated and even then, if you sometime feel off, do get tested so that you won't be part of the problem anymore than humanely possible.

Good to see the vaccine is doing it’s job for you.

Old 1 August 2021, 11:24 PM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

+1
Old 1 August 2021, 11:27 PM   #13
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

Fingers crossed, this is gonna be a smooth ride through the storm
Old 2 August 2021, 12:13 AM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

As xrole has said.

I work in an ER. Had a pt that had Covid twice, got vaccinated and then got it again. I said you really need to be a lot more careful about where you go and who you go with.
She said she figured since she had it before, and now vaccinated, she was more immune, negative.
People come in all the time and while in the waiting room or walking around the hospital, we ask they still wear their mask……but why, I’m vaccinated, I don’t need to anymore.
It’s not a vaccine like an inoculation for measles or chicken pox, and Covid is just like any other bacterial or viral infection, you can get it more than once.

The real purpose of the vaccine is to help your immune system better deal with a possible infection if you are exposed, it’s not meant to repel covid. We’ve even had patients, come in for something else, get admitted for which they then need a negative covid test to place them in the correct section and they test positive, asymptomatic, which in this case the vaccine seems to be doing it’s job, protecting the individual from getting “sick”. But guess what, even though asymptomatic and vaccinated they can transmit the virus to someone.

Please protect yourself, vaccinated or not. Last month at my hospital, a 70 plus bed ER in a busy city was seeing about two covid cases a day. Today over a third of our beds are covid. It’s spiking a little for whatever reason.
I’ve never had c19 and I’m contraindicated for vaccination so haven’t got it…..I still wear a mask accordingly, “tin foil hat wearer” and in my local gym I’m one of about three or four people that wears a mask out of about 50-60+ people, I don’t care I’m not ashamed.
It’s an odd thing, on one hand I almost don’t believe in this illness but then I go to work and reality sets in.

Seen people get covid and just get sniffles then I’ve seen seemingly healthy individuals live through what seems like they’ve been thrown from a plane……I didn’t work at my hospital during the outbreak but the nurses tell me there’s quite a few seemingly healthy young and middle aged staff without any significant medical history that are no longer here after being exposed to covid.

Ymmv
Old 2 August 2021, 12:54 AM   #15
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I've seen several reports of people begging for the vaccine right before they are intubated. Too late!
Old 2 August 2021, 01:10 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I don’t think mad cow disease and Alzheimer’s are too far off if not close relatives. For the above with deer I do have to wonder what is the possibility of cross contamination of samples by humans carrying one of the seven coronaviruses and the type of test used. I’d lean towards Sloppy Science, but who knows I guess.

OP hope you feel better.
Old 2 August 2021, 01:30 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Glad you’re alive and well.

Time for an edit: ‘Fully vaccinated and still got covid, but not in ICU so it’s doing the job. Get the shot’
Old 2 August 2021, 02:18 AM   #18
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Glad you’re alive and well.

Time for an edit: ‘Fully vaccinated and still got covid, but not in ICU so it’s doing the job. Get the shot’
This sums it up!

Because it's not a matter of if but when. So be prepared, as best as you can.
Old 2 August 2021, 02:43 AM   #19
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I work in an ER. Had a pt that had Covid twice, got vaccinated and then got it again. I said you really need to be a lot more careful about where you go and who you go with.
She said she figured since she had it before, and now vaccinated, she was more immune, negative.
People come in all the time and while in the waiting room or walking around the hospital, we ask they still wear their mask……but why, I’m vaccinated, I don’t need to anymore.
It’s not a vaccine like an inoculation for measles or chicken pox, and Covid is just like any other bacterial or viral infection, you can get it more than once.

The real purpose of the vaccine is to help your immune system better deal with a possible infection if you are exposed, it’s not meant to repel covid. We’ve even had patients, come in for something else, get admitted for which they then need a negative covid test to place them in the correct section and they test positive, asymptomatic, which in this case the vaccine seems to be doing it’s job, protecting the individual from getting “sick”. But guess what, even though asymptomatic and vaccinated they can transmit the virus to someone.

Please protect yourself, vaccinated or not. Last month at my hospital, a 70 plus bed ER in a busy city was seeing about two covid cases a day. Today over a third of our beds are covid. It’s spiking a little for whatever reason.
I’ve never had c19 and I’m contraindicated for vaccination so haven’t got it…..I still wear a mask accordingly, “tin foil hat wearer” and in my local gym I’m one of about three or four people that wears a mask out of about 50-60+ people, I don’t care I’m not ashamed.
It’s an odd thing, on one hand I almost don’t believe in this illness but then I go to work and reality sets in.

Seen people get covid and just get sniffles then I’ve seen seemingly healthy individuals live through what seems like they’ve been thrown from a plane……I didn’t work at my hospital during the outbreak but the nurses tell me there’s quite a few seemingly healthy young and middle aged staff without any significant medical history that are no longer here after being exposed to covid.

Ymmv
How can you work in an ER and 'almost not believe' in an ongoing pandemic that you see the evidence of every day? That makes no sense.
Old 2 August 2021, 02:53 AM   #20
1hoot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Quote:
Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD)is the human varient of Chronic Wasting Disease (Prion Disease) found in deer. Usually it takes many years to develop symptoms (20+/yrs typically) but variants can manifest themselves in quicker progression. This is interesting as prions are not viral but exist in a class all their own. Military stationed in Europe in the 80's and not allowed to donate blood because of possible exposure.
Old 2 August 2021, 03:40 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hoot View Post
Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (CJD)is the human varient of Chronic Wasting Disease (Prion Disease) found in deer. Usually it takes many years to develop symptoms (20+/yrs typically) but variants can manifest themselves in quicker progression. This is interesting as prions are not viral but exist in a class all their own. Military stationed in Europe in the 80's and not allowed to donate blood because of possible exposure.
Oh great! I am a certified Hypochondriac! After reading this I’m sure I have it!
Old 2 August 2021, 04:03 AM   #22
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
How can you work in an ER and 'almost not believe' in an ongoing pandemic that you see the evidence of every day? That makes no sense.
I was thinking the same thing. Very strange sentiment to put forward
Old 2 August 2021, 04:05 AM   #23
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
All I can say is that 'this', either C19 and or its variants will be with us for a long time to come...and if you don't get vaccinated, you're at a greater risk. Period.
I really don't get the non-vaxer's position..or no masker's..no matter what their reasoning.
Stats are stats. My worth.

' A Crown for every achievement '
Old 2 August 2021, 04:20 AM   #24
alllexandru

Glad that you feel ok, let us know how this unfold.
I also took AZ back in April as was important to get whatever available.
Old 2 August 2021, 04:54 AM   #25
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hoot View Post
Ahh I didn't realize there was yet another name for spongiform encephalopathy. CJD, mad cow, chronic wasting disease. Scary but fortunately prion disease is rare and waaaaaaay less transmissible than viruses.
Old 2 August 2021, 04:55 AM   #26
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Glad to hear you're holding up OK, OP, rest well and up your nutrition hopefully your (relatively mild) symptoms will be over soon.

I dont know whose job it really is to better educate people on the real purpose of the COVID vaccine, which for one like the other poster said is to better prepare your body to deal with the virus upon the unfortunate exposure, and two is to give our hospitals a chance to manage patients, to prevent the overall healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Should it be the government, the drug companies, doctors, or your grocery store check out clerks?

Have family friends in the Northeast losing multiple elders, passing away at home, due to overflowed hospitals not being able to admit them last spring. Imagine what those families would trade for just to have a fighting chance...

Continuing to see/hear a lot of people, high profile athletes included, using the line "I know people who are vaxxed and still got covid" as excuse to avoid jabs, it just seriously irks me. sorry for the rant and going off topic. Again best wishes to OP for a speedy recovery.
Old 2 August 2021, 04:57 AM   #27
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Like Nike….JUST DO IT!

Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
Old 2 August 2021, 10:49 AM   #28
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
I was making a reference to the way I see people behave in public places guess that should have been more clear. I obviously believe the virus exist, are people just trying to be argumentative, I just wrote a long post reinforcing the seriousness of this virus. Smh
Old 2 August 2021, 11:04 AM   #29
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
OP, hope you get better soon and that your case is mild.
Old 2 August 2021, 11:20 AM   #30
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I hope you feel better soon Basil, it is a good thing you had the vacc, if you caught the virus now without that protection my guess is it would have been a lot more serious.
Closed Thread