The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 June 2018, 07:54 AM   #31
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I'm sorry but adult men just look like dorks wearing apple watches. Can't take them seriously. They were mean't for teenage girls in my opinion. The last thing I need is something else to recharge every night. The damn phone is bad enough
The same was once said about men wearing dive watches for anything other than diving, or at least about men wearing dive watches with suits.

Get ready, because the Apple Watch is essentially ubiquitous out here on the West Coast, so I'm sure the flood is coming your way. I see literally every kind of person wearing them: teens, grandmas, business men, rock musicians, yoga teachers, doctors, outdoorsmen...you name it. It's definitely past the tipping point of looking like a geeky tech device.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:05 AM   #32
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think this is the original source.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8385291.html

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:23 AM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Okay, I'll come clean and say I wear a Samsung Galaxy watch on the right wrist and a Rolex on the left. Been doing it for the past few years actually. Each one has a different purpose.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:32 AM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Hmm.

1. Show my heart rate - Not interested.
  2. Show my text messages - Utilise phone as needed.
  3. Track my exercise - Not interested.
  4. Give me GPS coordiantes - Utilise phone as needed.
  5. Show me calorie burn - Not interested.
  6. Play music - Utilise phone/car/PC/stereo/TV speaker setup as needed.
  7. Tell me the weather - Utilise phone/PC/TV setup as needed.
  8. Show me news - Utilise phone/PC/TV setup as needed.

Smartwatch - Useless charging device for wrist.

Here in Georgia, beginning July 1st, you won’t be able to do that phone, text, GPS or news thing while driving by even touching a smartphone. But a watch? Hmmm that is legal.

Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:46 AM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibuboy View Post
That new walkie-talkie feature will be fantastic for couples. My wife sure will make use of it. Very helpful for point to point communications.

I would really like it though if they flattened it and offered it as a health monitor. Just drop it to the bare minimum for those who don’t need quite the cellular functionality offered.
I'm having flashbacks of Dick Tracey
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:48 AM   #36
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
My Apple Watch and my Mechanical Watches don’t compete with each other.

My Apple Watch is extremely useful to me at the times I wear it.

My Mechanical Watches are enjoyable to wear and I love the history behind them and the way they look etc, they also tell me the time BUT that’s not the main reason I wear them.
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:49 AM   #37
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The same was once said about men wearing dive watches for anything other than diving, or at least about men wearing dive watches with suits.

Get ready, because the Apple Watch is essentially ubiquitous out here on the West Coast, so I'm sure the flood is coming your way. I see literally every kind of person wearing them: teens, grandmas, business men, rock musicians, yoga teachers, doctors, outdoorsmen...you name it. It's definitely past the tipping point of looking like a geeky tech device.
I think you may be right.
I'm noticing them more around the place now as well.
It seems there is a ground swell that's reaching a critical mass.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 09:01 AM   #38
maylebox
"TRF" Member

The Apple "watch" is a misnomer. It's not a watch but a computer that's worn on your wrist like a traditional watch. One of the myriad of things it does is tell time. It's not better or worse than a wristwatch, it's a computer. Wear one if you find it useful, don't if you don't.

I have one but generally only wear it when playing golf (GPS feature) or working out. As far as being worried about obsolescence, I know it has a limited lifespan and is designed to be replaceable (just like all of my other electronics)
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:11 AM   #39
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
My phone is enough for me, no more gadgets I need to love a lot of people around me! And see the time in my Rolex Sub :)
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:18 AM   #40
SharpyDave
"TRF" Member

Wait a minute? You can own both an Apple and mechanical watch? Next you will tell me you can own both an Omega and a Rolex.
SharpyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 11:05 AM   #41
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I'm having flashbacks of Dick Tracey
I already make phone calls off of my wrist to my wife. This should just make the point to point aspect more seamless, basically requiring fewer steps. It’s all about interpersonal communications.

Yeah, I wear it all the time on the inside of my right wrist. I have the dark smaller one with the flat black strap.
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 02:19 PM   #42
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Just like all other Apple products. They become obsolete in a couple of years time.
Very expensive disposable items.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:20 PM   #43
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nail Tech View Post
Just like all other Apple products. They become obsolete in a couple of years time.
THIS!

I think what irks most Rolex fans on this board isn't how many people are buying apple watches, but the fact that Tim Cook went out of his way to name drop Rolex and directly compare the sales of his "watch" to luxury watch makers like Rolex and Omega. He's comparing a $200 disposable electronics item to precision crafted mechanical watches that are savored by their owners and handed down through generations.

The apple watch and other wearable electronics is a fad, in my opinion. They were a big gift item this past Christmas so now you see them everywhere. After another year or so the fad will wear off, they will break or no longer be supported, and people will move on to something else. Rolex is a completely different market and they are purchased for totally different reasons. Rolex doesn't compare itself to the likes of Apple because it doesn't have to. It has stood the test of time for well over 100 years.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:22 PM   #44
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
All good points, but personally.....don’t need a reason!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 02:48 AM   #45
Shiny1
Banned

Apple watches rock, but let's look at it , sometimes you need a proper timepiece on your wrist
Shiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #46
Torque Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWeha View Post
The first gen Apple watches are now obsolete thanks to the newest update to watchOS which is not supported by the early models:
The only thing missing in this is the word “vintage”. I wonder if a vintage Apple Watch will ever be as valuable as a vintage Rolex?

I’ll stick with my vintage 4 digit TT DJ that today still does exactly what it was built to do more than 47 years ago.

How about that for obsolescence???
Torque Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 05:35 AM   #47
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nail Tech View Post
Samsung is only $300. It also looks like a watch.

To be fair, the Apple watch looks good on women.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:06 AM   #48
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
To be fair to the OP, I like the point of the article which I believe is more about a wrist watch and fine mechanical engineering vs. wearable tech that happens to have a time function.

People don’t really buy apple watch for the time, but the ability to used digital applications, a mini portable PC if you will. If just looking at telling time in portable device, the function can be incorporated easily in any digital device, so a G-shocks should suffice. With more functions, it can be called an instrument.

Look what happen to Trume when one try to mix the core concept of the product:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...log-watch/amp/

Trust me, I worked for the company and even the product management department was confused.

The disgusted of apple launching a device with precious metal, charging at a rate that is over the top without the mechanical engineering or craftsmanship behind it is simply a con for the rich, because the core of Apple Watch is the tech...and when the tech h/w does is not compatible with new s/w OS and the device becomes obsolete, it becomes just a precious metal junk device. This is not meeting the core value of what the tech is supposed to be ignoring precious metal and aesthetic. You have to buy a new one.

This is not a new concept. Look at the Vertu mobile phone, it’s tech with bling for those with more money and if you brought one of those Nokia ones, it’s now a precious metal coated junk, like the apple example mentioned.

All in all, I see it coming down to the value of the product and whether it is delivering its core reason of the product. A 10k gold apple wearable tech with a time function now obsolete with incompatibility of the latest OS is certainly not imo.

A Sky dweller, a Product design to provide time, high quality manufacturing of crafted component and metal finishing, along with a complex complication such as an annual calendar, not simply because of the calendar function, but the craftsmanship behind it, that the price already in the grey market is increase by 50% and will still tick when you die, powered by no battery with only wrist movement, is amazing value imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:27 AM   #49
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Hmm.
  1. Show my heart rate - Not interested.
  2. Show my text messages - Utilise phone as needed.
  3. Track my exercise - Not interested.
  4. Give me GPS coordiantes - Utilise phone as needed.
  5. Show me calorie burn - Not interested.
  6. Play music - Utilise phone/car/PC/stereo/TV speaker setup as needed.
  7. Tell me the weather - Utilise phone/PC/TV setup as needed.
  8. Show me news - Utilise phone/PC/TV setup as needed.
Smartwatch - Useless charging device for wrist.
My feelings exactly. I also use Alexa to check the weather. NOT

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:43 AM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Not at all, I still use mine every day.

When a mechanical wristwatch can:
  1. Show my heart rate
  2. Show my text messages
  3. Track my exercise
  4. Give me GPS coordiantes
  5. Show me calorie burn
  6. Play music
  7. Tell me the weather
  8. Show me news
  9. Get my email

Then we can talk.

These are two different tools for two different purposes. Those who seek to make this a contest are sadly misinformed.
the health monitoring aspects are undeniable. Its not a stretch to say it will eventually be connected to your medical records so your doctor can moitor your heart for example and in real time. Or its connected to emergency responders if you start to have a heart attack an ambulance comes. What about when they can detect blood sugar levels through the skin for diabetics? That is the value in smart watches... health.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 02:45 PM   #51
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnTOcCEugU

And he probably said it the best with the last line in video.

I really enjoy that video as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 12:32 PM   #52
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
The reason a proper wristwatch will always trump a smartwatch...

Thought this video I look back on could be relevant!

https://youtu.be/6ujVLnBzNtY

#Emotions #Hardwire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:19 AM   #53
WJGESQ
Banned

Don't need anything else to charge.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:53 AM   #54
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Every time I see one I think nah not for me, though had it came out when I was 10-16 I definitely would have gotten one as I was very much into gadgets, which for me is what they are, you already have your phone, why add another level of technical dependency, in any case it will never be on one of my wrists
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 07:17 AM   #55
Gerry.GEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1 Mk2
Great conversation. I believe that some find good use of smart watches but, I can't use one because as it's been so eloquently here - just one more thing I have to charge regularly and our phones are enough and actually do enough or more than we need at this point. How many actually regularly use all the Apps on one's phone? I don't and probably if you do, you're spending way too much time on the damn thing. :)

Quality watches Mechanical, Automatic, or Thermocompensated Quartz are far classier in the long-term. We all have our opinions on this but technology is kind of taking over our lives in a way that may not benefit us as much as we think it might.
Gerry.GEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2018, 09:15 PM   #56
tawny_ulcer
"TRF" Member

I don't really see a smart watch as a real watch just as I don't see an iphone as a watch. To me a watch produces it's own time keeping where the Apple watch and other devices simply ascertain time keeping from an external keeper by download.
tawny_ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 05:38 AM   #57
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, in case you havent heard, cars have replaced the now obsolete, horse and carriage.. time to set those horses free, let them roam the streets now because they serve no purpose

thankful this type of mentality is foreign to me
joespeed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 06:09 AM   #58
CLG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Okay, I'll come clean and say I wear a Samsung Galaxy watch on the right wrist and a Rolex on the left. Been doing it for the past few years actually. Each one has a different purpose.

I love this energy, I have my Rolex on the left and apple on the right
CLG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 11:23 PM   #59
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The first gen Apple watches are now obsolete thanks to the newest update to watchOS which is not supported by the early models:
Seems like every once a while there will be a thread on mechanical watches vs smartwatches. Of course first gen will be obsolete, technology improves.

They do different things, for many people smartwatches are useful and can do things that mechanical watch can never do, and there is no denying more and more people are wearing them.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:51 AM   #60
egon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Comparing a smart watch to a mechanical one is comparing apples and oranges. The way I see it, watches are like shoes. You wear different shoes for different situations. The same goes with watches. If I am at the gym I prefer a smart watch/gadget because it can play music and track my activities. When I am not working out and have my phone with me mechanical watches are the way to go.
egon is offline   Reply With Quote