The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2018, 11:56 AM   #1
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Incoming!

Picked up a new “beater” G-Shock. Haven’t had one of these since I was a kid. I needed a non-Rolex watch and am waiting till the new Seamasters come out to decide if I want the new SMP or a Black Bay, so this should hold me over for a month or two. Also good to have a solid beater.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 12:42 PM   #2
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Absolutely hideous. Atrocious design. Terrible hands. No complications. Nothing special whatsoever.

The G-Shock is pretty cool looking though.

I'm kidding. Seriously though, the G-Shock is pretty cool. I grew up with a Casio Calculator watch and a model similar to DW5600 so I'm fond of these. Tough watches that lasted throughout my childhood of being knocked around, tennis, and other activities.

Edit: Since this is the internet, I just had to be clear. I was joking with both the Rolex and Casio. I love the Explorer, it's one of my favorite Rolexes along with the Submariner and Cellini. The Casio is of course, tough and practical.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 12:59 PM   #3
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Absolutely hideous. Atrocious design. Terrible hands. No complications. Nothing special whatsoever.

The G-Shock is pretty cool looking though.

I'm kidding. Seriously though, the G-Shock is pretty cool. I grew up with a Casio Calculator watch and a model similar to DW5600 so I'm fond of these. Tough watches that lasted throughout my childhood of being knocked around, tennis, and other activities.

Edit: Since this is the internet, I just had to be clear. I was joking with both the Rolex and Casio. I love the Explorer, it's one of my favorite Rolexes along with the Submariner and Cellini. The Casio is of course, tough and practical.
They had a few models and I thought If I was buying a G-Shock i’d at least buy one with hands. I wish they’d put a second hand though. I just recently got into watches and Rolex, and already something feels “off” wearing the G-Shock. I’m bummed the new Seamaster isn’t out yet because I needed a new non-Rolex watch ASAP due to office politics reasons and I’m torn between that and the Black Bay. But a good tough watch is always good to have around though.
Old 8 June 2018, 02:55 PM   #4
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

I totally know how you feel. I am really looking forward to the new Omega Seamaster Professional 300 Diver from Basel World 2018. I think most people would vote for the Tudor Black Bay since it seems Tudor is the "in" brand now. However, I find the Black Bay too similar to the Submariner, which in turn looks like 90% of the other diver watches out there, which copies the Submariner design. However, the Omega Seamaster Professional 300 Diver has always looked distinctive.

I can guarantee that the Seamaster is a tough as nails, just as tough as the Submariner. If I were you, I'd wait for the Seamaster. The G-Shock should tide you over!
Old 20 June 2018, 05:09 AM   #5
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
congrats! I was looking at G shocks not too long ago too.. didnt realize they can get pretty up there pricing wise
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #6
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
G-Shocks are pretty cool watches.
I own one too. Congrats on yours.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:42 PM   #7
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Really liking the G-Shock! I want to check out one of the steel ones now. There’s a few that are around $300-$400. Anyone here have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 June 2018, 04:48 PM   #8
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Me too. If anyone has the new steel G-shocks, I'd be curious to know their thoughts. I trust the impressions from this forum more than Amazon reviews based on 5 minutes of wearing the watch.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:01 PM   #9
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 09:35 AM   #10
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Me too. If anyone has the new steel G-shocks, I'd be curious to know their thoughts. I trust the impressions from this forum more than Amazon reviews based on 5 minutes of wearing the watch.
Had some left over store credit so my AD said he could get this in the next week for me. I’ll post some updates soon.