The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Ouch, probably going to cost me

Not sure how much a BLRO insert costs but I will probably know in a day or two. Was hopeful I wouldn't be the first one here I think I am going to stick to diamond bezels or non rotating bezel references now.

I have absolutely no idea how it happened? No scratch on the watch anywhere. But I must have hit it somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.7 KB, 3367 views)
Old 30 September 2015, 02:57 PM   #2
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Would this be covered under warranty???

Considering they made that watch white gold just to celebrate the fact that they could make that bezel makes me think that it will be stupidly expensive to replace out of pocket:(

Keep us posted.
Old 30 September 2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Muzz
"TRF" Member

They will just replace the insert, not a warranty issue, more of a user error issue:) the bezel is in perfect condition:)
Old 30 September 2015, 03:00 PM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Ouch!
Old 30 September 2015, 03:00 PM   #5
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch!
Old 30 September 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Jhquek
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your case but this is definitely a topic that interest a lot.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Sorry to see that Steve.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Sorry to see that Steve.
Thanks Adam! It is just one of those life things. Absolutely not letting it get me down at all:)
Old 30 September 2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
ouch. so sorry to read/see this! Wish you the best of luck with a speedy (and affordable) repair.

On a side note, and sorry to say it your expense, this is a bit fascinating. This is the first broken ceramic bezel I've seen.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
ouch. so sorry to read/see this! Wish you the best of luck with a speedy (and affordable) repair.

On a side note, and sorry to say it your expense, this is a bit fascinating. This is the first broken ceramic bezel I've seen.
It's no problem:) I am very confident that I must have smacked it in a plane or in the car:) just the right or wrong way to do that.

I am not even remotely upset. But I will certainly share what the repair cost is:)
Old 30 September 2015, 03:33 PM   #11
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Sorry to see that.
Hope it isn't too painfully expensive to replace.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:34 PM   #12
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I'd be interested in a cross-section photo. The forensic analysis of a dead bezel
Old 30 September 2015, 03:36 PM   #13
eightbore
Banned

Makes me crazy to see things like this. Rolex "improvements" sometimes aren't.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:41 PM   #14
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I have many ceramic references that have taken a beating....knock on wood.
You must have ran over your watch with a Range Rover, or you have a defective insert.
Either way I wish you the best Muzz, and I hope it's a free fix!
Old 30 September 2015, 03:44 PM   #15
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
I'd be interested in a cross-section photo. The forensic analysis of a dead bezel
I will see Joe, the picture I posted is from my trusted tech and I know he is pretty slammed on the best of days. If it isn't too late I will ask him. For all I know the damaged bezel is already out the door.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:44 PM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbore View Post
Makes me crazy to see things like this. Rolex "improvements" sometimes aren't.
I owned a 16610 for 15 years before I took the plunge into the ceramic world, and not only (as mentioned earlier) is this the first time I've seen one break, I could not be happier with the appearance, quality and design of my 116610.

IMO the new ceramic sport watches are an improvement and a broken ceramic bezel is still pretty rare. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, comparing the quality of the aluminum bezels to the cerachrom isn't exactly apples to apples.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:48 PM   #17
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt32886@gmail.com View Post
I have many ceramic references that have taken a beating....knock on wood.
You must have ran over your watch with a Range Rover, or you have a defective insert.
Either way I wish you the best Muzz, and I hope it's a free fix!
they are absolutely wonderful and I am sure I just happened to be unlucky with an impact. No Range Rover involved:)

I really do not want it covered under warranty. I believe I hold the responsibility and this is in no way a defect or anything that Rolex should cover.

Sometimes these things just happen. Can't let it get you down
Old 30 September 2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I owned a 16610 for 15 years before I took the plunge into the ceramic world, and not only (as mentioned earlier) is this the first time I've seen one break, I could not be happier with the appearance, quality and design of my 116610.

IMO the new ceramic sport watches are an improvement and a broken ceramic bezel is still pretty rare. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, comparing the quality of the aluminum bezels to the cerachrom isn't exactly apples to apples.
first one for me too:) they are very tough indeed! Fit, finish and appearance are all selling features for me too on the ceramics! I still love them. Not one negative under tone in the post :)
Old 30 September 2015, 03:56 PM   #19
USMC034L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, GMT, DJ, PAM
Bummer, hate to see this, hope it doesn't set you back much (hopefully anything) to fix this! I've been wearing an 114060 no date sub since the end of July and it hasn't exactly been babied since it's been scuba diving, zip lining, and to work with me in the ER.

It looks pretty mint still, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally consider going back to the older aluminum insert model out of fear of the insert cracking or losing the pearl. I do realize that logically and statistically, tons of theses ceramic inserts are in circulation and it seems to be pretty rare to see them broken, but it does happen so is justifiably a healthy fear in my book.

That being said, they sure are beautiful so I will continue to hold on to my SubC for now. Here's hoping your insert gets replaced quickly!
Old 30 September 2015, 03:58 PM   #20
Mr. Vegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: me roll the dice
Wow, must have hit it just right. Sorry to see this happen, but you definitely put the bezel to the test! Hope it all works out well for you.
Old 30 September 2015, 03:58 PM   #21
Muzz
"TRF" Member

I dented the bezel and that was the cause. No problem, I should know the cost soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.4 KB, 3041 views)
Old 30 September 2015, 04:01 PM   #22
Muzz
"TRF" Member

One more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.0 KB, 3024 views)
Old 30 September 2015, 04:05 PM   #23
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC034L View Post
Bummer, hate to see this, hope it doesn't set you back much (hopefully anything) to fix this! I've been wearing an 114060 no date sub since the end of July and it hasn't exactly been babied since it's been scuba diving, zip lining, and to work with me in the ER.

It looks pretty mint still, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally consider going back to the older aluminum insert model out of fear of the insert cracking or losing the pearl. I do realize that logically and statistically, tons of theses ceramic inserts are in circulation and it seems to be pretty rare to see them broken, but it does happen so is justifiably a healthy fear in my book.

That being said, they sure are beautiful so I will continue to hold on to my SubC for now. Here's hoping your insert gets replaced quickly!
Thanks Dustin!! This is a rare experience to the best of my knowledge. I think a little fear in sustaining damage to a bezel is healthy:) I am sure I will be a little more careful in the future:)
Old 30 September 2015, 04:10 PM   #24
Norms
"TRF" Member

subscribed. pretty curious about the costs as well.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:29 PM   #25
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Too bad, Steve.

Hopefully you can get it sorted soon. But maybe itīs only a sign that this wouldnīt have happened with a 116598 diamond bezel?
Old 30 September 2015, 04:35 PM   #26
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I dented the bezel and that was the cause. No problem, I should know the cost soon
Sorry to hear you have had this mishap fella!

I did think by the first pic one of the bezel teeth looked dented but thought it could of been the lighting.

And kudos to you for standing by the repair, I have seen a few posts on here such as I've scratched the crystal etc and I want it covered under warranty.

Fingers crossed on a resonable repair cost and speedy turn around.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:35 PM   #27
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Too bad, Steve.

Hopefully you can get it sorted soon. But maybe itīs only a sign that this wouldnīt have happened with a 116598 diamond bezel?
😂 That is awesome Felix!!! It will be all fixed up in no time:) I am away on buisness anyways:) I know this would not have happened on my 18946 maybe just a loose setting:)
Old 30 September 2015, 04:39 PM   #28
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Sorry to hear you have had this mishap fella!

I did think by the first pic one of the bezel teeth looked dented but thought it could of been the lighting.

And kudos to you for standing by the repair, I have seen a few posts on here such as I've scratched the crystal etc and I want it covered under warranty.

Fingers crossed on a resonable repair cost and speedy turn around.
Thanks Sam!!! My dealer and I are very very very close friends. He offered to pay the repair costs and I immediately turned that down. I know I did it, we all periodically knock our watches and that just would not be me to allow him to cover it.

Really appreciate the kind words!!!
Old 30 September 2015, 04:40 PM   #29
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Sorry to see - shame. Yes, looks like you knocked the edge of the bezel ring pretty hard. It would be difficult to crack the insert alone, with no impact on the ring, as it sits lower than the edge, and lower than the crystal, of course.

However 'tough' ceramic is as a stand-alone material, to me, this shows how vulnerable it is when housed in a metal (precious, at that) ring. There's no give, so when the metal gives... ceramic pops. I dare say an alloy insert would have taken the impact a lot better.
Hope the fix isn't too pricey, but I fear it will also need a new ring, if it's bent.
Old 30 September 2015, 04:48 PM   #30
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Sorry to see - shame. Yes, looks like you knocked the edge of the bezel ring pretty hard. It would be difficult to crack the insert alone, with no impact on the ring, as it sits lower than the edge, and lower than the crystal, of course.

However 'tough' ceramic is as a stand-alone material, to me, this shows how vulnerable it is when housed in a metal (precious, at that) ring. There's no give, so when the metal gives... ceramic pops. I dare say an alloy insert would have taken the impact a lot better.
Hope the fix isn't too pricey, but I fear it will also need a new ring, if it's bent.
Thanks Vincent! You Sir are absolutely correct. Worst case, the whole assembly, best case the insert:) I am fully prepared for either😊

The poor insert had no where to go. Cracked under pressure, absolutely. At first I did not enlarge the pictures as I knew the insert was toast but yes, the bezel has taken a little bit of abuse clearly.

I am happy however to report, I wear my watches
Closed Thread