The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 June 2005, 07:32 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Icon17 Review On Vixa Type 1

Whilst little is known of this old brand today,(apart from collectors of military pieces) they have in fact been around for many years. And was established as a German company just after the Second World War, to make watches for issue to the European forces.The most famous of which was the Vixa type 21.
Vixa watches are produced to standards of excellence, which should be the envy of many high-end watch companies. They are hand inspected at the beginning, and every end of each production cycle. Accompanying the watch at every stage, is a document that follows the progress of the watch during production. And the results of tests completed, are entered onto this document at the completion every stage. Finally the movement is regulated in 5 positions, and the result of the regulation is written onto the document. At the conclusion of the manufacturing process, the serial number of each watch, is engraved onto the outside of the case, rather than the caseback. And the quality control document is then hand sealed, with sealing wax, so that it cannot be tampered with, until it reaches the hands of the first owner. It is a nice touch, which indicates to me, at least, the high measure of care that is taken by the technicians who are responsible for making these excellent value for money watches.

I have worn this watch for 3 weeks now, and have been more than happy with every aspect of its design and specification. Here is my review, and based on my own experience of the watch.

CASE.Vixa TYPE-1 L/Addition
A 44mm high grade stainless steel, in 3 parts, and water resistant to 100m. The case is 11mm thick. It has oversize lugs set 22mm apart, and 10mm long. The case finish is in my opinion, of a quality to equal the very best.And when con paired with a Omega,and a Rolex SD in front of me, and I can honestly say that the finish of the Vixa, is the equal of both of them, in fact it is little better than the Omega IMHO. There are a lot of straight edges on this watch, and whilst all look crisp and very sharp, they do not feel sharp to the touch. And this smooth, evenly applied finish,on all sharp edges,but maintaining the crispness,is quite an achievement.The polish of the case and bezel is of very high quality. I feel sure that it is must have been finished by hand. The brushed caseback is screwed in.It has a 0.20mm step,from the case edge,to the flat back. The 8mm wide crown is signed with the Vixa logo.It does not screw in to the case but has two stem o/rings for water resistance to 100m.

Crystal:

Mineral crystal,bevelled,which sits approx 0.25mm above the bezel. Cyclops magnifier over date at 3.This watch deserves better.I cannot for the life of me think why a sapphire crystal was not fitted. They should in my opinion be fitted to all watches over £100.This would add but a few pounds to the retail price.Given the otherwise high specification of the piece,I would be tempted to have an aftermarket sapphire crystal fitted should the original become scratched, or otherwise damaged.

Movement

ETA 2824.2.. Nivarox main spring, with Glucydur balance. 25 jewels, and the very effective fine regulator.The movement hacks by pulling out the crown.Date feature at 3,and continuous centre seconds.The movements runs at 2880 beats per hour.The rotor is undecorated,but is engraved.An unusual feature of this movement,is that the screws appear to be bronzed.

This movement,whilst not the finest that ETA produces,is nevertheless a fine movement,and well respected.It is used in watches,from other manufacturers costing more than 10 times the price of this watch.I cannot be certain,but I suspect this movement to be of chronometer grade quality they are available in several grades). The manufacturers website states that its adjusted in 5 positions.

DIAL.

The dial is a very very dark blood ruby red, but sometimes looks black in certain light.The lume on the hands is very thickly applied,but still remains elegant.The quality of the printing is very high, even seen under 10 x magnification,the edges of the numerals,show no signs of ragged edges,or noticeable difference of thickness of lume application.The luminous compound is Luminova type,which glows on exposure to light.The brightness of the glow is very bright indeed,but dims with the passage of hours.It was however readable after 8 hours.Whilst entirely bright enough, and more than adequate,I have seen dials which glow brighter after 8 hours.This may seem like nit picking,my ageing eyes need all the help they can get.

Box and Packing.

The watch box comes inside a white cardboard box .The hinged box itself is quite magnificent.It appears to be of solid cherry wood, and is lacquered to a very high standard of finish. It is lined with a buff coloured leatherette material. The watch is secured around a padded pillow. In the top of the box, there is a leatherette slip provided for the storage of the paperwork.The quality and presentation of the package is of an extraordinarily high standard, for a watch in this price bracket. It is entirely appropriate however, because it echoes precisely the high standards of finish,and manufacture of this watch.Some high end manufacturers should take note.I am not,and have never been,a watch snob
I have owned,anything from Poljots now good value brand,to some of the more expensive brands.I am never one to say that the finest finishes/movements can only be reserved for the most expensive brands, nor will I ever say that quality is determined by price.This watch is another rare example of a watch,that from most other makers, would cost several times the price that Vixa charge. Why,and how can they do it? Ask Vixa. If their quality is a disease,I wish other manufacturers would catch it!

Warranty:

Manufacturers 2 year written warranty.

Price: £200 Less if you shop around bit.

Conclusion:

Excellent value for the price paid.

Accuracy:

Whilst wearing for now almost 3 weeks,it has not gained more than 2 seconds daily.This is quite excellent for this price range watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg vixa.jpeg (23.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by padi56; 24 June 2005 at 07:38 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 12:32 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
With those specs and timing rate I would say that is better than great bang for the buck!!

Welcome, by the way, you would not happen to be a Padi that most of remember from somewhere else would ya? Glad to have you stopping by!!
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 01:20 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
With those specs and timing rate I would say that is better than great bang for the buck!!

Welcome, by the way, you would not happen to be a Padi that most of remember from somewhere else would ya? Glad to have you stopping by!!
Yes and I can see quite a few of old names here JJ, uncle AJ plus a few
others,thanks for your welcome.
Old 25 June 2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Padi. I see you have added your age to your forum name.
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 03:41 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Hi Adrian I am 3 years older that you,nice to here from you mate.
Old 25 June 2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Is that 3 years older than me or 59?

BTW When are you taking me car boot shopping?

Last edited by Uncle-AJ; 25 June 2005 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Because I forgot.
Old 25 June 2005, 05:40 AM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Padi is the king of the boot sale and the Jokes!! Bring 'em on baby!! Great to have you around my friend!!
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 06:36 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey, Padi, great to have you here. Now hurry up with those jokes already, pal. LOL!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 10:48 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Hello, Padi. Good to see you here. And that is a nice looking timepiece, although reminiscent of a Pam or two.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2005, 04:52 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Is that 3 years older than me or 59

Adrian 61 july 10
Old 25 June 2005, 04:54 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Hello, Padi. Good to see you here. And that is a nice looking timepiece, although reminiscent of a Pam or two.

Yes and quite a few more,but quality as good if not better than some,but for far less money.
Old 25 June 2005, 10:19 PM   #12
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Adrian 61 july 10
Ah 3 years older than me it is.