The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 August 2019, 09:18 PM   #31
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I have the ocean one vintage and my 10 year old has the vintage Chrono...both great watches...nothing wrong with them. I’ve owned plenty of rolexes and don’t feel threatened by Steinhart like some do...it’s just a watch.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 10:38 PM   #32
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
I have the Ocean One with green bezel for three months now. I had the black bezel (bought second hand on this site) for maybe a year and gifted it to my son in Dec.
Both pieces are reliable, look great, fit nicely and seem well made. Both have the ETA movement. Accuracy is good too, with the green bezel running at -1 spd.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 12:03 AM   #33
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I own Rolex, Omega, Tudor and yes, two Steinhart's. I wear them all and enjoy them all. Steinhart is an excellent choice in their price range and I would recommend them. You might also want to look up Squale Watches which I tend to prefer over Steinhart by just a little bit. Both can be obtained through Gnomon.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 10:55 AM   #34
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
The Steinhart Ocean 39 Explorer is a tough watch for the money with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 elabore movement. Customer service is excellent. I prefer the non-date version of this reference as it looks like a rarer 5513 Rolex. It is doing yeoman wear time now while a Rolex is off for service.
Watches are personal-so that's why I bought a 1680 Red Submariner in Hong Kong on leave from a 5th Special Forces Gp(ABN) combat assignment in Vietnam.
Should have bought another..........
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2022, 10:35 AM   #35
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
I think it’s a solid watch, not afraid of damage and works well.

I have that exact watch and today received my second Steinhart, an Ocean One.
IMO they provide great value and give the Rolex watches in my safe a break.

No regrets with either of my Steinharts.
Old 12 April 2022, 07:06 AM   #36
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

I think their price/value relationship is pretty unmatched.
Particularly for Steinhart's homage watches (very special icons that are not in production anymore, were extremely limited and are generally unobtainable, if not for insane amount of sums, like this MilSub) really hit a nerve with me. But to throw a tool watch beater around everyday and everywhere including 300 meters under water... - I am a new Steinhart fan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9555smalerfileweb.jpg (264.8 KB, 108 views)
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 02:05 AM   #37
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Fan View Post
I think their price/value relationship is pretty unmatched.
Particularly for Steinhart's homage watches (very special icons that are not in production anymore, were extremely limited and are generally unobtainable, if not for insane amount of sums, like this MilSub) really hit a nerve with me. But to throw a tool watch beater around everyday and everywhere including 300 meters under water... - I am a new Steinhart fan!
Beautiful. I really like that one you are wearing. Do you have any more pics you can share? I agree with your assessment. There are several vintage Rolex pieces that are on my dream list to acquire someday, including either a 6538 or 5510 big crown sub, and from speaking with other collectors who own a big crown, they just aren't something you can wear every day for a whole variety of reasons. That milsub that inspired your piece is even more difficult to find.

From a technical perspective, it has become increasingly difficult to find movement parts for the vintage Rolex 1030 and now even some of the 15xx movements, so if you wear out some of the components it can sometimes take many months or even over a year of searching, in some cases, before you can find the specific part you need to repair those movements. Having a durable and beautiful piece to wear most of the time, such as one of these, would let you get more of a daily use out of the watch you love, and then bring out the vintage piece sparingly.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 12:31 PM   #38
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
Beautiful. I really like that one you are wearing. Do you have any more pics you can share? I agree with your assessment. There are several vintage Rolex pieces that are on my dream list to acquire someday, including either a 6538 or 5510 big crown sub, and from speaking with other collectors who own a big crown, they just aren't something you can wear every day for a whole variety of reasons. That milsub that inspired your piece is even more difficult to find.

From a technical perspective, it has become increasingly difficult to find movement parts for the vintage Rolex 1030 and now even some of the 15xx movements, so if you wear out some of the components it can sometimes take many months or even over a year of searching, in some cases, before you can find the specific part you need to repair those movements. Having a durable and beautiful piece to wear most of the time, such as one of these, would let you get more of a daily use out of the watch you love, and then bring out the vintage piece sparingly.
That's it exactly. I wore a Jame Bond for a decade until the movement was totally worn out. Today wearing the same watch is like carrying a valuable art piece around all the time. With this one you can enjoy the design master piece all the time everywhere and not worry. I think technology wise, with its ETA movement and a case that as machine by the people who machine rolex cases, it is on par, if not somewhat improved over the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9536web.jpg (225.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 17 April 2022, 12:33 PM   #39
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Here another angle...IMG_9567web.jpg
Old 17 April 2022, 12:52 PM   #40
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here another angle...Attachment 1286375
That's a fantastic picture. This is a really nice looking piece and it sounds like the quality is unmatched. Enjoy it. I'm definitely going to look at these more closely.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2022, 11:15 PM   #41
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here another angle...Attachment 1286375
Did you buy yours direct from their German site? There isn't an official US distributor and there's a US watch seller who claims to be a good source for them but everything is "out of stock."

It also seems like a lot of their pieces are 42mm. Is yours one of the 39mm pieces?

Old 17 April 2022, 11:49 PM   #42
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you buy yours direct from their German site? There isn't an official US distributor and there's a US watch seller who claims to be a good source for them but everything is "out of stock."

It also seems like a lot of their pieces are 42mm. Is yours one of the 39mm pieces?

Yes, I ordered directly from the German Steinhart site. No problem at all. I think shipping is only about $20-25. Great customer support as well. You can call them up and talk to real people right away.

I was going back and forth the between the 39mm (which is harder to find - out of stock right now, I think) and the 42mm one. From comparing videos it seems, while the 39mm is closer to the original MilSub, the hour markings and the hands are the same size as on the 42, which makes the 39's proportions (in my personal humble opinion) a little bit too "Maxi Dial". That, to me, looks odd. It is completely subjective but to me the 42mm seems to have (while overall bigger) more correct proportions.

I could not make up my mind on the size until I saw a 42mm Steinhart Double Red Sea Dweller Homage on a friends wrist and it just looked great - like; fantastic! I have pretty big wrists (7.5 inches). So after seeing how well the 42mm case looks in real life, I figured I could rock the 42mm Ocean One Vintage Military.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9625web.jpg (206.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 18 April 2022, 02:40 AM   #43
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I ordered directly from the German Steinhart site. No problem at all. I think shipping is only about $20-25. Great customer support as well. You can call them up and talk to real people right away.

I was going back and forth the between the 39mm (which is harder to find - out of stock right now, I think) and the 42mm one. From comparing videos it seems, while the 39mm is closer to the original MilSub, the hour markings and the hands are the same size as on the 42, which makes the 39's proportions (in my personal humble opinion) a little bit too "Maxi Dial". That, to me, looks odd. It is completely subjective but to me the 42mm seems to have (while overall bigger) more correct proportions.

I could not make up my mind on the size until I saw a 42mm Steinhart Double Red Sea Dweller Homage on a friends wrist and it just looked great - like; fantastic! I have pretty big wrists (7.5 inches). So after seeing how well the 42mm case looks in real life, I figured I could rock the 42mm Ocean One Vintage Military.
Man, it looks so good. I wish I could see one in person because I have a 7" wrist and I really want the big crown version, but that one is 42. It's interesting about the size. I've always coveted the big crown subs and the 6542 GMT Master, which were both 38mm. I talked with a few people who own either one or the other and they said just be aware that while they are very nice, it indeed feels smaller and it takes some getting used to.

I didn't have anything to compare it to until one day I was over at my AD and in their pre-owned case they had a 6536 small crown sub, a 1665 double red Seadweller, a 5513, and a few 1675 GMT Masters. The 6536 is 38mm and all of the are others are 40mm, so it was a great way to actually try on a 38mm vintage sub and then immediately shift over to 40mm vintage subs and GMTs to compare. I have to be honest, the 6536 at 38mm did indeed feel really small. Too small. It was actually underwhelming. It made me really question if the big crown would feel any different, having that nice fat 8mm crown.

Your milsub, their big crown, their double red, and their vintage GMT all look fantastic. It would be fun to try them all on.

Old 18 April 2022, 04:01 AM   #44
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your milsub, their big crown, their double red, and their vintage GMT all look fantastic. It would be fun to try them all on.
I think those four are the best Steinhardts as well.
Old 18 April 2022, 12:27 PM   #45
Greglaw
Banned

They are such a great value and really great watches!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote