The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 February 2023, 06:29 AM   #1
philly98459
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
possible scam or was I out of line?

Hi. Need advice from the community.

I joined recently and have been looking to buy my first rolex. Recently, a long time member posted a watch for sale at a crazy good price (like, ~$2k under what others were asking for a similar watch).

I've seen good prices a few times but I usually stay away because the seller has little history on this site. This member, though, has posted for years, although not as often in recent months. Looking through their posting history, it was clear they had a great watch and car collection (watches worth multiples of the one I was trying to buy) and I thought, maybe they just want to sell this watch quickly and don't care if they're $1-2k under market. They had bought a few watches on the forum but I couldn't find evidence of them selling any.

And this is what happened next. All communication was through private messages here, although I did offer up my phone and email address.

-- Reached out to see if watch was still available. It was.

-- Said I'd like to buy the watch at asking price but needed a few days to move the money into the right account for wire. No problem, they said, get back to me when you're ready.

-- I read about a thread about long time accounts being hacked by scammers offering really good deals and got a little nervous that I wasn't dealing with the actual account holder.

-- 3-4 days later, after moving the money, PM'd seller and said money was ready and, although it was clear they had a solid reputation on the forum, would they be willing to text me a picture of their drivers license to verify I was talking to the actual account holder and that their account had not been hacked.

-- Have not heard back for 1.5 days. I am assuming the deal is dead.

So my question is: was I out of line asking for a copy of the license or was that okay, just trying to mitigate the risk of being scammed from a hacked account?

Because now, either the seller is a) too busy to respond, b) thinks I'm scamming them for their ID and is not responding, or c) not the actual account owner. I don't want to share this person's username yet because this still might be a big misunderstanding. I'll add here that at this point, I know nothing about this person other than their username, their home city from their bio (confirmed by the content of some posts), and a few other things from their posting history like watches and cars, but no full name, email, phone, etc.

If anyone can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it. Like I said, I'm pretty new here. I thought I had read some threads where buyers asked for ID before wiring money. But perhaps that's not normal and I pissed off a legit seller.
philly98459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 11:45 AM   #2
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

Not out of line at all. Sending thousands of dollars via a wire to someone based solely on a screen name is insane. On the flip side, some people are uncomfortable sending photos of their driver's license to someone based solely on a screen name.
If the deal is still a go, I would recommend using an escrow. IMO the cost of an escrow is worth the peace of mind.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 12:09 PM   #3
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I never send a wire unless account matches drivers license or business is verified to be owned by seller. You did the right thing. Nothing out of line at all. Just reach back out and see if the deal is still a go, and of course proceed only once you are satisfied you are dealing with the actual person. If they have a problem sending a license or verification you are comfortable with, it’s a no go.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 01:32 PM   #4
tike71
"TRF" Member

Things scammers hate most are being asked for their ID, being asked for a picture of the watch set to a specific time and date with a handwritten note of your username, being asked to do FaceTime to show the watch in real time.
Old 8 February 2023, 02:12 PM   #5
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Last time I bought a watch over the internet I had them take live action video of their id with the watch/box/papers. They were happy to do that and all went smoothly. If they aren’t willing to give peace of mind like that I’d look elsewhere.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 11:27 PM   #6
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
You did well OP. The suggestion of asking for a handwritten note is a good idea. Legit sellers will have no problem with any of it.

I've noticed several watches posted ~2k under market price as well, along with stolen accounts. A couple weeks later the post is deleted entirely! To find them, just search for your favorite model on Watchrecon and look for cheapest listings on TRF.

I fully understand the allure of saving a few bucks by dealing directly with a seller but that's why the biggest Grey dealers can charge a bit more: Trust.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 11:32 PM   #7
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Not at all. I require wire first but have provided Live Photo or FaceTime, drivers license pic, DoD common access card pic, pic of watch in front of number sign of my house matching address on my license.

You name it. I'll do it. It's all about buyers comfort during that 24 hours where their money is gone and their watch is with FedEx.
Old 8 February 2023, 11:37 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Eric.

It’s an age old saying here, but buying the seller is prudent.

Who are you dealing with here?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 12:28 AM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Even more prudent is NEVER send a wire for thousands of dollars to someone you don’t even know . Use CC so you have some recourse or simply don’t buy from them. So see how this expectation of seller makes no sense - tell them to send you the timepiece now and you will wire dough as soon as you get it - ha! There are plenty of reputable sellers who have no problem w cc , if need be I will pay discount charged by cc company - you must protect yourself !
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 12:36 AM   #10
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
They should be forthcoming and bending over backwards with tons of info, pics, communication to make you comfortable. If something feels off, it probably is. That said, life happens and he may not be checking the forum PMs, so if he gets back to you then the delay itself shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Good luck!
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 04:47 AM   #11
philly98459
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for the feedback. It’s made me feel a lot better about the decision to ask for some kind of ID confirmation before closing the deal.

Update: It’s been 2+ days now and still no response. Late last night, I wrote a short note to officially back out of the deal. Maybe, as Bustelo says, life happened and the seller is busy. But the lack of any reply is a red flag and I’ll look elsewhere. I’d rather pay market price than lose everything.

I don’t want to give out the username. It’s a long time member, and I’d hate to tarnish their reputation in any way if I was truly communicating with that person. Unfortunately, at this point, I have no idea.

Also, for anyone else going through something similar: don’t hesitate to ask to confirm a seller’s identity, especially if a deal looks too good to be true.
Old 9 February 2023, 04:57 AM   #12
bullies
"TRF" Member

Agree with the above - You're not in the wrong.

Also, if the person went from responding quickly to now letting it go 2 days I'd consider it dead and I'd probably send the user name to a mod so they can see if they've been hacked.
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 05:00 AM   #13
philly98459
"TRF" Member

Thanks. What's the best way to send a user name to a moderator?
Old 9 February 2023, 05:01 AM   #14
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly98459 View Post

Flag a post of theirs and leave a note.
Old 9 February 2023, 05:01 AM   #15
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
You did everything correct and were wise in the way you handled everything. As others have said, "buy the seller."
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 05:04 AM   #16
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly98459 View Post

Go to the sale ad and click on the red triangle below the users name. Then type a message explaining your interaction with the member. Also mention this thread. This will go to all the moderators and they will decide how to proceed.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 05:13 AM   #17
philly98459
"TRF" Member

Done. Thx.
Old 9 February 2023, 05:24 AM   #18
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Trust goes both ways to be honest. If a buyer asked me for my driver's license I would politely decline and move on.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 07:38 AM   #19
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Trust goes both ways to be honest. If a buyer asked me for my driver's license I would politely decline and move on.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Same here.
Old 9 February 2023, 08:04 AM   #20
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

If a watch is substantially under priced, be very wary of it being a scam. Read all the posts here from folks that lost the cheapskate game.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote