The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 November 2014, 12:23 PM   #1
ahhhderrr
"TRF" Member

16014 coronet placement seems too high?

Hi folks,
Always been a fan of the Linen dials, and looking for my first piece. Saw this one for sale, but two things have me second guessing it (or at the least need more education about).

The coronet at 12 o'clock seems to be higher than other watches. It "touches" the minute track, where as most other pictures of 16014 models show that the coronet sits just below the minute track, and the track completely circles around the dial uninterrupted.

The second point of concern is the black dot/blemish at the lume plot. What is it and how does that happen? Is it a sign of possible rust? A relume job gone wrong? Just a natural defect that sometimes happens? This is a 30 year old watch.

I would greatly appreciate answers and insights. Even if I miss out on this piece, at least the information provided will help in the future.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex datejust 16014 015.jpg (72.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg rolex datejust 16014 016b.jpg (57.9 KB, 113 views)
ahhhderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Looks fine, but these may not be the best for determining that.
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

16014 coronet placement seems too high?

Like ok can you get better straight on pics.
Old 27 November 2014, 11:22 PM   #4
ahhhderrr
"TRF" Member

attaching two new pics.
The first is a close up of the Coronet . you can see that it sits on the minute track.

The second is a wrist shot of a similar watch I pulled off the internet - both are in the 8m serial number range.
See how the coronet is smaller and sits below the minute track? Also just noticed that the minute tracks are different!

Is the first watch legit? And how to explain that dark spot blemish on the lume plot at 10?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex datejust 16014 009.jpg (85.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg D2MFNf1l.jpg (46.9 KB, 71 views)
ahhhderrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I think the watch is legit. The dial?? I also think it is legit. I can't explain the issues you see with the dial other than saying that not everything with Rolex is an exacting science. There are small variants and mistakes that make it through QC. For example, my late model 116400. Completely authentic with my name on the warranty card. If you notice, all of the black text on the dial is shifted to the left slightly. "Milgauss" in orange is centered the way it is supposed to be, but the "L" on Rolex should be centered right underneath the crown. "superlative chronometer officially certified" is also shifted slightly to the left. Even "Swiss Made" at the bottom. It seems when they printed the black text on the dial, the dial was not lined-up where it should have been. Sometimes things make it through Quality Control unnoticed.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
There are small variants and mistakes that make it through QC. For example, my late model 116400. Completely authentic with my name on the warranty card. If you notice, all of the black text on the dial is shifted to the left slightly... It seems when they printed the black text on the dial, the dial was not lined-up where it should have been.
Very interesting Jason... how do you feel about that and did you notice before or after purchase?
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 11:56 PM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

maybe it got too close to a powerful magnet on the left?!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
Very interesting Jason... how do you feel about that and did you notice before or after purchase?
I did not notice it before purchase, and only noticed it when I took the first MACRO shots of the dial. At first, I was torn and thought about returning the watch. I bought the watch from DSW. This will show you the level of professionalism of DavidSW. I had worn the watch for about a month before I noticed the flawed dial. I posted these pictures on the Forum (pointing-out the error dial), and he immediately PM'd me and offered to exchange the watch for a brand-new one with a perfect dial. I considered it.......but then ultimately decided that I was happy with the little quirk. Now, I am glad I didn't exchange it. I smile when I wear the watch and notice the dial........It helps me remember that even the big and mighty Rolex S.A. isn't perfect.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Might be worth a fortune one day, too, Jason.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote