The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
FleaBay and the Frankenwatch

Soon I will test out the Ebay "buyer protection" for the first time. I've been on Ebay likely since its inception, both buying and selling. In all that time, this will be my first invocation of the protection plan. I bought what looked like a really good 14k vintage watch that was advertised as "fully restored." Stupid me thought that this would let me save a few bucks in follow up work unless I saw a problem. Well oops.

It was advertised as an "ESTATE ANTIQUE WRIST WATCH ROLEX REDDBURG 14K WHITE GOLD CASE 6" FULLY RESTORED." It had a "seal" on the back so that the seller would know if it was opened. Well gee, I HAVE to open the damn thing to verify it is what he said it was. No, it was not. No "Rolex" on the wheels. No markings that would tell where the movement was from. No "Rolex" on the hallmark. And a couple of screws missing in the movement. This was not starting out well. There was an "LP" on the crown, definitely not Rolex. I wrote to the seller who told me his watchmaker was the greatest and really old and sick wife, and all that stuff. Today I figured I'd like to know a bit more about what might be happening here, so I took it to my local master jeweler for a look see while I was picking up some jewelry he'd repaired.

"This movement doesn't belong in this case." He showed me the dents on the inside where the movement was forced into the case. He said that the screws that were missing in the movement were meant to hold the watch into the case, which was NOT this case. Yes, it's nice 14k white gold. Yes, the case is nicely decorated. No, this is not the movement that belongs in it, and likely the LP (for Lucien Picard) was from a screw on crown that doesn't match the movement or the dial or the hands or....

So now I am an unhappy camper. It is likely that this seller didn't know that this was such a mess. However, if it went to a watchmaker, the watchmaker WOULD have known immediately. I bought some other pieces from this seller, and they were correct, so I don't think it was deliberate on his part.

Another "use trusted sellers" echo from me. Any trusted sellers here into pre-1930s vintage?
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
vkychoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 '67 Sub
sorry to hear about this :( Hope it gets resolved quickly and amicably
vkychoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Sounds like a bad deal for sure. I'd let the seller know what you found out about the watch and send it back ASAP. How about posting some pics and a link to the auction.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear your story. I hope it works out
Old 27 January 2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Ebay . . . . hope you are with the lucky ones and get a refund . . .

Good luck !

HAGS

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 08:52 PM   #6
NCD1979
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope it all works out in your favor.
NCD1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Good luck. Post an update.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 04:19 AM   #8
gold lexes

good luck
gold lexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 04:32 AM   #9
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
Good luck. Post an update.
I posted more info and photos for opinions on Watch Out. If the experts there agree with me, and if the other two transactions I stupidly made with the seller before receiving this one, that should arrive on Monday are also bad, I'll post the seller name.
Old 28 January 2013, 07:01 AM   #10
Fiat5513
Banned

Watch: 1968 Rolex 5513
Good luck, eBay = crap
Fiat5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 10:35 PM   #11
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
eBay isn't all crap. However it's a gamble. I am SO way ahead that I take chances and hope I get what I buy. When legit, you can sav a ton of money below retail. However there is a lot of risk
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 01:17 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Thanks for the Ebay warning. I have bought mostly successfully on Ebay, but was burned badly once, simply because I didn't do my homework properly. In addition to all the other thorough vetting now, I won't buy anything unless there are also photos of the movement. That not only shows whether the movement is correct for the model, but it also shows possible corrosion around the case back seal area. A lot of listings don't show the movement. I won't even consider those.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 01:30 AM   #13
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Thanks for the Ebay warning. I have bought mostly successfully on Ebay, but was burned badly once, simply because I didn't do my homework properly. In addition to all the other thorough vetting now, I won't buy anything unless there are also photos of the movement. That not only shows whether the movement is correct for the model, but it also shows possible corrosion around the case back seal area. A lot of listings don't show the movement. I won't even consider those.
That's a great rule of thumb and I really should have followed it.
Old 29 January 2013, 02:44 AM   #14
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
MIKKI,

did you simply try to work it out with seller to return it claiming that it was not described adequately?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 03:12 AM   #15
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
When legit, you can sav a ton of money below retail. However there is a lot of risk
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I won't buy anything unless there are also photos of the movement. That not only shows whether the movement is correct for the model, but it also shows possible corrosion around the case back seal area. A lot of listings don't show the movement. I won't even consider those.
I agree with these gentlemen. It's all about risk/reward -- eBay presents a high potential for both. And I also refuse to consider watches without movement pics.

Aside from looking at the seller's feedback as a seller, I also recommend taking a glance at their feedback as a *buyer* and see if they've bought anything from shady sellers. A lot of counterfeit/Frankenwatches are hobbled together from pieces that came from eBay to begin with, and on more than one occasion I've removed a seller from consideration based on having been a customer of a shady seller. I'm more scared of fake cases these days than anything. Good luck Mikki!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 04:33 AM   #16
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
MIKKI,

did you simply try to work it out with seller to return it claiming that it was not described adequately?
Of course, Harry. Bonjour by the way. The seller is either clueless or intentionally being difficult. I won't pass judgment until the other two watches I stupidly bought from him arrive. If the movements are also suspect, I will think deliberate. He told me that his watchmaker would never make such a mistake, as he is God's gift to watchmaking, almost 90, and caring for a sick wife. If true, of course I wish the watchmaker all the best, but truly wonder at the statement. I will try again with the seller once I have more information about the movement.

I may be a lawyer, but I truly hate these types of disputes and always try the fair approach first. Maybe I'm just a wuss :-)
Old 29 January 2013, 06:35 AM   #17
nick c
Banned

Sorry to hear best of luck
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 06:47 AM   #18
watchstuff
"TRF" Member

Hope you get it resolved soon, if you paid via paypal, you may get another layer of protection.
watchstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 07:08 AM   #19
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstuff View Post
Hope you get it resolved soon, if you paid via paypal, you may get another layer of protection.
Thanks. Yes I did pay via PayPal.