The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Thanoski
"TRF" Member

Day Date II vs 40 prices

Hi guys,

I have a DDII and was thinking about switching to the 40. I thought the prices were fairly equal but I've been told by a few grey dealers that there is an increasing and substantial gap between the prices between the two. Has anyone else seen a similar trend?
Thanoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:01 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Day Date II vs 40 prices

When you’re trading with a dealer, he or she will want to discount your trade value by their hopeful future margin when they sell it onward.

And you’re going to “pay” that margin within the value of the DD40 you’re trying to obtain from him or her.

So you can do the math and it’d be better to sell your DD first and then seek the DD40.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:02 PM   #3
77T

Day Date II vs 40 prices

dupe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:19 PM   #4
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Day Date II vs 40 prices

Most grey market dealers would rather have a DD40 over a DD II. Day date 40s in my experience sell much better.

Keep in mind for dealers shelf life is something that is factored into value. If something is going to sit for some time regardless what it’s “true value” is the dealer will want to pay less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchdisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I would not make that trade
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 02:57 PM   #6
didikwahyu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT master II , Br
It depends on the opportunity and luck.
I bought blue sky dweller at msrp and I had found seller who had blue wg daytona unworn with sticker intact, which was the watch I wanted with the price 4K below msrp, while I sold my blue sky 3K above to him.
So, why not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
didikwahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 03:22 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

The price difference between the two is not THAT much. So if the deal is for a straight swap between the DD2 and a new DD40 you probably wont do better than that.

Even if you sell the DD2 yourself you may get an extra $1-2k or so. Is the headaches worth it? 100s of dreamers wasting your time on a $35k watch trying to low ball you and if you do accept that offer they wont turn up on the deal anyway? LOL

Aint worth all that nonsense with timewasters.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 06:30 PM   #8
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
There is a big price difference. And the DDll is much higher then the DD40. About $5-$7k more. You should be expecting money back not the other way around. I myself am looking for a DDll YG with silver dial. The prices of the DDll surprised me as a year ago the DDll was just about equal to the DD40.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 07:32 PM   #9
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
There is a big price difference. And the DDll is much higher then the DD40. About $5-$7k more. You should be expecting money back not the other way around. I myself am looking for a DDll YG with silver dial. The prices of the DDll surprised me as a year ago the DDll was just about equal to the DD40.

Interesting, I don't know that DDII is highly priced vs the DD40. Any reason besides DDII are rarer?
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 09:17 PM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Make sure you try on a DD40 and compare to your DDII directly before making a trade. Don't go by internet pictures. You don't want to make the trade and THEN realize you actually prefer the DDII for your wrist.

If you do go forward the dealer is going to want to make money on both ends. So he wants to offer you a price that he can add on his margin to when reselling, as well as the same margin on the DD40 he's selling your. If you are worried about getting the most for your DDII you would need to sell it directly.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 01:26 AM   #11
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Interesting, I don't know that DDII is highly priced vs the DD40. Any reason besides DDII are rarer?

The DDll is rarer and discontinued. Then the DDll is a true 41mm watch as in the DD40 is smaller then 39mm.

Old 7 August 2020, 03:33 AM   #12
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanoski View Post
Hi guys,

I have a DDII and was thinking about switching to the 40. I thought the prices were fairly equal but I've been told by a few grey dealers that there is an increasing and substantial gap between the prices between the two. Has anyone else seen a similar trend?
Yes prices of the DDII have been slowly increasing, and certain dial combinations prices have gone through the roof. It's a watch that is going to have a cult following, discontinued, bigger , bolder, watch than DD40.
Old 7 August 2020, 05:03 AM   #13
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Yes prices of the DDII have been slowly increasing, and certain dial combinations prices have gone through the roof. It's a watch that is going to have a cult following, discontinued, bigger , bolder, watch than DD40.
Interesting. Which are the popular or sought after DDII?
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 05:31 AM   #14
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
They all are already through the roof. All are more expensive than the current marker prices of a DD40. Haven't seen a DDII under $36k in several months.

While I hated the proportions of the case, the DDII dials were really sharp. Wish Rolex reissues them for the DD40, especially the concentric dials. Take a look at this one in rose with black romans - 218235.

Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:00 AM   #15
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Keep in mind the DDII was introduced at Baselworld in 2008, just as we entered the great recession. There was also a cooling of demand for yellow gold watches in that time-frame too. Old people watches. I bought mine a couple years after introduction.

I agree with the comments on the dials. I would expect the low production and blingy bezel to keep values up. I do have a DD40 on order. It may be a while.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:24 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan111 View Post
They all are already through the roof. All are more expensive than the current marker prices of a DD40. Haven't seen a DDII under $36k in several months.

While I hated the proportions of the case, the DDII dials were really sharp. Wish Rolex reissues them for the DD40, especially the concentric dials. Take a look at this one in rose with black romans - 218235.

That is sweet! I have never seen that combination before. Looks amazing
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:46 AM   #17
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Interesting. Which are the popular or sought after DDII?

The Diamond and ruby dials. They have shot way up in price.